Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast

Thread: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Jac_PS's Avatar Civis

Default Re: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Will, can you give us some piece of information about the next historical TW?

Umbrecht's Avatar Libertus

Go back to school or buy yourself a history book, older people wants WAAAGH!
    Last edited by Umbrecht; April 24, 2015 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan MF View Post
    So much hype about superficial things like lore, factions etc, everyone forgetting that it's on the TW3 engine which basically consigns this game to the same fate as everything post Empire Total War. We are going to have a game with the same old crappy unit collision at its core, a continuation of bad AI and a stagnancy in the battle scale.

The last slither of faith I have in CA is that one day they will bring out a new engine that brings back the benefits of the pre-warscape engines and simultaneously advances the existing tired formula. I'm talking core things like the physics, combat resolutions, strategic AI, functionality of UI, number of units/scale of engagements. As it is I don't play TW since the release of Rome 2 for reasons mentioned, but if they ever do embark on TW4 engine and they blow that then CA will have lost me 100% and I'll never be looking back.

There is no vocabulary coming out yet about any substantial advancements at the game engine level in any of the areas I've mentioned so for me Warhammer is another game in the franchise I won't be buying or playing.

Do you people go for a meal with your family and complain about the food you don't like or don't want to pay for? The amount of choices in life is endless and you waste time complaining about things. Specially when its something you have no information about. There is more going on at CA then you will ever know, Might see new game engines with a new historical game and all you clowns will look even more idiotic. Almost as stupid as I do wasting time on this post.

petertel123's Avatar Miles

So much hype about superficial things like lore, factions etc, everyone forgetting that it's on the TW3 engine which basically consigns this game to the same fate as everything post Empire Total War.
    Yeah, cuz napoleon, shogun 2 and atilla were terrible right? Right? Oh wait no they werent, they were just as good or better than unmodded medieval 2/rome
    only empire and rome 2 were disasters

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Question; will they re-use Warscape or will this be based on a new engine?

Take the hint CA; get rid of the bloody engine and upgrade.

Zonac's Avatar Miles

I am sorry if my question was already asked before but I didn't read everything in this thread. So here it comes:

In terms of gameplay/balancing please Will tell me that you are going to convert the rulebooks of warhammer 1:1 into the engine of TW! If that is done really well then it isn't sooooo bad that we do not get any modding tools.
    Because I think that the Warhammer universe would addapt perfectly into the warscape engine (Not so strict unit sizes like in real history. Also there is no missing information on the topic like in real history, you just have to read a few books and convert them nicely)! So for the Battle map convert it 1:1 (it is also less work for your developers to copy something then to test it over and over^^) But for the camaign map you will have to do your own balancing/mechanics. I also hope that your battlemaps with defensive forts/cities will have a much better path finding and unit placement on walls etc. then in all previous titels!

Cheers!
    I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.
    Alexander the Great

PureCrusader's Avatar Foederatus

Hope for a Medieval 3 or a Pike & Shot Total War after that therefore

Such great news! My childhood/youth dream come true. Shadow of the horned rat memories anyone?
    Combine it with TW strategy, amazing graphics and it will be a pure win.

And a trilogy no less. It makes perfect sense for CA to only focus on 4 races with such diversity as 4 x as many skeletons alone... consider the animations... This means that we can get the game a year earlier than waiting with the release until they have all of the races finished.

By the way, I still have a problem understanding why people complain about the number of DLC's produced with extra factions/races. It's extra work CA puts into an already great game to make it greater. Why wouldn't they charge money for their work.

Well done CA, well done!

/runs off to collect money ready to toss them after CA for Warhammer Total War and hopefully DLC's for CHAOS races.

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

Will there be unique dogs of war (mercenaries) lead by their famous leaders in the game? And if so will there be a universal cap on them so that we dont end up with for example a Leopold's Leopard Company in both armies facing eachother on the battlefield?
    Last edited by Fedual; April 24, 2015 at 03:39 AM.

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

So much hype about superficial things like lore, factions etc, everyone forgetting that it's on the TW3 engine which basically consigns this game to the same fate as everything post Empire Total War. We are going to have a game with the same old crappy unit collision at its core, a continuation of bad AI and a stagnancy in the battle scale.

The last slither of faith I have in CA is that one day they will bring out a new engine that brings back the benefits of the pre-warscape engines and simultaneously advances the existing tired formula. I'm talking core things like the physics, combat resolutions, strategic AI, functionality of UI, number of units/scale of engagements. As it is I don't play TW since the release of Rome 2 for reasons mentioned, but if they ever do embark on TW4 engine and they blow that then CA will have lost me 100% and I'll never be looking back.

There is no vocabulary coming out yet about any substantial advancements at the game engine level in any of the areas I've mentioned so for me Warhammer is another game in the franchise I won't be buying or playing.
    Tend to agree, I have no problems with a fantasy setting and from what I understand about Warhammer it would be an interesting setting but if the history of the Warscape engine has told you anything it is that it is not good enough.

The video shown will bare no resemblance to what you will get in game play and logic would dictate that it will have a very similar feel to the previous games and bring with it the same problems and CA will once again use workarounds and half baked solutions to try and fix those problems.

Warscapes primary goal is to churn out games, ETW, Shogun2, RTW2 and Attila are all basically the same game all have poor melee combat, woeful path finding and an overall reduction in the quality of tactical game play and all have the same problems. Warhammer will follow in this tradition but because it is perhaps the most challenging environment that CA will ever need to create the chances of them getting it right are not great we will see.

And in passing I must mention that it appears that CA have broken the game into three parts and you wont have a full campaign map until you buy all those parts and even though this wont prevent you from playing any of the individual games it does make me wonder about how a campaign AI can function.
    Imagine buying RTW2 in 3 parts, the first game has Britain. Gaul and Iberia but if you buy the second game you will have Germany and Italy added to the map logically this would shift the balance of power within the game how does the CAI adjust to this?

Either way credit to CA for coming up with a way to sell a game in 3 parts and convince people its a good thing, does their talent for making money have no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Modestus View Post
    Tend to agree, I have no problems with a fantasy setting and from what I understand about Warhammer it would be an interesting setting but if the history of the Warscape engine has told you anything it is that it is not good enough.

The video shown will bare no resemblance to what you will get in game play and logic would dictate that it will have a very similar feel to the previous games and bring with it the same problems and CA will once again use workarounds and half baked solutions to try and fix those problems.

Warscapes primary goal is to churn out games, ETW, Shogun2, RTW2 and Attila are all basically the same game all have poor melee combat, woeful path finding and an overall reduction in the quality of tactical game play and all have the same problems. Warhammer will follow in this tradition but because it is perhaps the most challenging environment that CA will ever need to create the chances of them getting it right are not great we will see.

And in passing I must mention that it appears that CA have broken the game into three parts and you wont have a full campaign map until you buy all those parts and even though this wont prevent you from playing any of the individual games it does make me wonder about how a campaign AI can function.
    Imagine buying RTW2 in 3 parts, the first game has Britain. Gaul and Iberia but if you buy the second game you will have Germany and Italy added to the map logically this would shift the balance of power within the game how does the CAI adjust to this?

Either way credit to CA for coming up with a way to sell a game in 3 parts and convince people its a good thing, does their talent for making money have no bounds.

Can we imagine CA Milking out factions and parts of the worlds with 'culture packs?' hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Nope doesnt ring any bells >_>

Aye, but you might also be forgetting that the armies of the Warhammer universe are so diverse that they have 4 times the amount of model skeletons, around 24 in the first release(?) while they're only 6 in Rome2 and Attila. No one sane can expect to have all the races and factions in the base game unless they want to wait for years for a fully fleshed Warhammer experience (I personally would prefer it that way but you know... Publishers and shareholders...) I'll remain optimistic and hope that if the first one turns out to be shite they will get the chance to improve it in the next 2 releases just how kingdoms improved an already good ME2.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

And where are the Asrai, the Asur and the Druchii. The world shall belong to the elves once more.

Cheers

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Melitensis View Post
    And where are the Asrai, the Asur and the Druchii. The world shall belong to the elves once more.

Cheers
    The rightful heirs will return...
    got a small theory of the expansions
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	myclue.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	269.3 KB 
ID:	324499
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanshoe View Post
    Aye, but you might also be forgetting that the armies of the Warhammer universe are so diverse that they have 4 times the amount of model skeletons, around 24 in the first release(?) while they're only 6 in Rome2 and Attila. No one sane can expect to have all the races and factions in the base game unless they want to wait for years for a fully fleshed Warhammer experience (I personally would prefer it that way but you know... Publishers and shareholders...) I'll remain optimistic and hope that if the first one turns out to be they will get the chance to improve it in the next 2 releases just how kingdoms improved an already good ME2.
    Jep it is important that the animation is done right, I want a orc fight like a orc, and a zombie fight like a zombie.
    Just look on COW. and how off it seems, still a great mod honestly.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Fedual View Post
    Will there be unique dogs of war (mercenaries) lead by their famous leaders in the game? And if so will there be a universal cap on them so that we dont end up with for example a Leopold's Leopard Company in both armies facing eachother on the battlefield?
    I can see dogs of war as a huge dlc milking
    but they will defo be in

Quote Originally Posted by Titanshoe View Post
    Aye, but you might also be forgetting that the armies of the Warhammer universe are so diverse that they have 4 times the amount of model skeletons, around 24 in the first release(?) while they're only 6 in Rome2 and Attila. No one sane can expect to have all the races and factions in the base game unless they want to wait for years for a fully fleshed Warhammer experience (I personally would prefer it that way but you know... Publishers and shareholders...) I'll remain optimistic and hope that if the first one turns out to be shite they will get the chance to improve it in the next 2 releases just how kingdoms improved an already good ME2.
    For a company like CA model creation would be not be a problem people here could create models in their spare time.

But you do highlight a problem the lack of diversity within the previous games the copy and paste method of creating different units for different factions but this is typical of the Warscape production line and part of the problem.

Good games should take years to make you don’t kept shoving them out the door one after the other and while CA may have been working on Warhammer for years it is almost certain it is part of the same process that was making RTW2 and Attila and will have the same foundation .

The raze mechanic in Attila will I suspect be used in Warhammer in fact when the first game play videos for Warhammer come out I would expect to see a lot of the mechanics that are in RTW2 and Attila and certainly the same problems.

Of course there is the possibility that RTW2 and Attila were only the means for CA to get to Warhammer which will be a much more lucrative prospect for CA and perhaps much better made but if a company could not be arsed to have soldiers carry a ladder I fail to see how they will be arsed to do justice to Warhammer.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

A sad day for me and anyone else who might be over 12 years old, and not interested in this fantasy crap........ Rome2 and Attila are great.....
    Well that's hilarious.
    You don't like fantasy, but you like Rome two. Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Concerning one game split into three: Anyone noticed Blizzard did that with Starcraft 2, adding only a few units and some campaign missions to every new "game" while we will most probably see complete new factions in TW:W 2 and 3?

I like the game to release early with only 4 factions more than to wait for one bundled release with either half-completed factions or a 12 years development time...

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

So you are currently working on:
    Total War Warhammer
    Total War Battles: Kingdom
    Total War Arena
    Total War Attila (maybe DLCs, expansions and patches)
    Total War Rome 2 (maybe DLCs, expansions and patches)
    I would much rather want you to make 1 really good game with plenty of new features and stuff!
    Last edited by TheRomanRuler; April 24, 2015 at 05:56 AM.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Quote Originally Posted by EinBein View Post
    Concerning one game split into three: Anyone noticed Blizzard did that with Starcraft 2, adding only a few units and some campaign missions to every new "game" while we will most probably see complete new factions in TW:W 2 and 3?

I like the game to release early with only 4 factions more than to wait for one bundled release with either half-completed factions or a 12 years development time...
    I am not familiar with Starcraft 2 but as I understand it for Warhammer CA will be adding to the map so for the first game you will have your 4 factions contained within part of the old world that they normally live in.

For the second game new factions will be added and that part of the campaign map that was locked will be unlocked and for the final game all of the campaign map will be unlocked.

Note that I am using the word unlocked deliberately because it does not sound like adding an expansion but unlocking something that is finished or almost finished perhaps CA could clarify what they mean.