Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast

Thread: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Default Re: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    Thank you!

I have seen these factions in that link:

The Empire and the Holy Roman Empire
    Bretonnia and France or Post-Roman Britain
    Albion and Pre-Roman Britain
    Kislev and Poland/Russia
    The empire of the Hobgoblin Khans and Siberia, Mongolia and Central Asia
    Ulthuan and Atlantis
    Tilea and Italy
    Estalia and Spain
    Lustria and Central and South America
    Araby and Northern Africa and the Middle East
    Nippon and Japan
    Cathay and China
    Khemri and Egypt
    Sylvania and Transylvania
    The Southlands and Southern Africa
    Naggaroth and North America
    Norsca and Scandinavia
    Ind and India.

Regarding the "races/factions"

First as said by Will, each race contains more than one "faction" because there are many independant or semi-independant duchy, principalities, chiefdoms etc for each race (the purpose in the tabletop game was that players could use their own schemes for painting).

The humans have several states and regional variations :

The Empire, is as said, the HRE from, mostly the XVIth century, with troops looking like landsknecht, knights in gothic plates, firearms, artillery etc. But also Orgres mercenaries, priests with powers, magicians and a few fantastic creatures like the Griphon of emperor Karl Franz. It is a major faction of the warhammer world (with a rulebook) and one, if not, the most powerfull human realm. It is divided in various principalities (with prince electors) and free cities. Playable.

Bretonia, is basically a feodal kingdom, imagine medieval France with some elements of the Arthurian cycle and an even greater segregation between the knightly class and the peasantry. It had become a major faction of the warhammer world with a rulebook so playable.

Kislev is some kind of medieval eastern state (with troops inspired both by Poland and Russia and also a few nomadic horsemen), it isn't a major faction and while there is (or was, i don't play the game) army lists, as far as i know they don't have a rulebook.

Tilea is separated into many rival city-states that often fight each others with mercenaries. They look like renaissance italy. They aren't a major faction either but mercenaries armies had an army list in the past (Dogs of War iirc).

Estalia is separated in small kingdoms, they look like renaissance (or pre-reconquista) Spain but aren't a major faction.

The borderlands is an area between Tilea, the Empire and the Wasteland (Orcish kingdoms and a few dwarf fortresses) full of small states warring each others and invaders, an area for adventurers and mercenaries. It is an area equivalent to the Balkan in the real world. Not a major faction, but a good setting for the old RPG.

Arabia is basicaly a version of arabia similar to the 1001 nights. Not a major faction.

Nippon is japan but only appeared as background for the world and with only brief mentions about ninjas and samourais.

Cathay is China but like Nippon, only appeared as a background element.

Halflings :

Basically the hobbits from the shire, they live peacefully inside the Empire and are one of the regions constituting this human state iirc the leader of the halflings is an elector too. Not a major faction, but the empire can hire some halflings as support.

Dwarfs :

Many dwarfs live in human cities and particularly inside the Empire. The Dwarfs and the Empire have a long lasting alliance dating back from the first emperor, the deified Sigmar.

The others live in independant fortresses in the various mountain ranges of the old world, a remnant of a old and mighty dwarven kingdom that was almost destroyed by the greenskins.
    They are your typical fantasy dwarfs, tinkerers, miners, firearms, grudges, beer, beards, axes and hammers. Playable.

Elves :

There are 3 main elvish subfactions (each divided into various allegiances/principality/cities etc)

The high elves, who lives in Ulthuan (the atlantide like island in the middle)
    Old civilisation, powerfull mages, powerfull stats... lol, seen as arrogant by others. They have varied troops, from basic spearmen and archers to knights, dragon knights, swordmasters etc. No firearms, but many kinds of advanced ballistas. Playable.

The wood elves, remnant of elvish colonisation of the old world before the humans came, they still live in the deepest forest. The major one being Lorien, close to Bretonia. They are hostile to strangers, but have some kind of understanding with the kingdom of Bretonia. Mainly light ambush and skirmish troops with their specialty "wardancers", light but deadly expert close combat troops. And also Ent, like in lord of the ring, walking treemen. Playable.

Dark elves, are a splinter from the high elves, rebels in a civil war, their claimant allied himself with chaos and many of its supporter fell to it too. They lost the war and exiled themselves i huge magically floating cities to Naggarod, the equivalent of north america. Basically evil raiders and slavers elves with cavalry on dinosaur, corsairs, assassins and deadly and scantily clad witches (close combat troops). Playable.

Undead :

Vampire counts. Well vampires who by being the nobility have managed to somehow seize the control of a whole imperial province near the borderlands, Sylvania (Transylvania). You have various kind of vampires (bloodlines), from the most classic ones to blood knights, they also can use various kind of classical undead troops. (Skeleton, ghouls etc). Playable.

Khemri tomb kings. Powerfull mummies who have been awakened with their armies of servants. (Classical undead troops with an egyptian touch). Playable.

Greenskins :

Orcs and Goblins.
    They often fight together in a big Waaaagh (kind of a raid/crusade for greenskins) but can be separate armies or factions.
    Several kind of goblins, night goblins live in deep cave and have exotic troops, squigs and squigs riders (you will have to google what is a squig i can't just explain it) giant spiders, untoxicated goblins flying huge iron balls etc.
    "regular" goblins who are more some kind of ablative hitpoints for orcs than anything else although they have some kind of usefull and funny troops too. They can also field big creatures like trolls and Wiverns.

Then the orcs who are the muscles of the greenskins. Ferocious warriors if a bit simple... Playable, both of them.

Lizardmen :

As the name says, two main kinds, big shocktroops and small agile servants. A bit like the greenskins. They serves Slaan, powerfull magician and the oldest civilisation of the Warhammer world. The inspiration for their look is precolombian america (aztec/maya). They also field dinosaurs and the like. Playable.

Chaos :

The great ennemy of everything. There are "Chaos gates" on both poles of the wolrd, althought the one posing the main threat to most of the playable factions is the northern one.

There are 4 majors chaos gods with their own demons, champions and servants.

Tzeentch, the one seen in the trailer, god of change and magic, the great trickster, architect etc. Always planning the next move of his plans, so complex that even when you defeat him, you may have played how he had planned it.

Khorne, blood for the blood god ! The god of slaughtering and war. His champions and demons are among the most dangerous creatures of the Warhammer world.

Slaneesh, god of excessive pleasures, he is a young and decadent god with obviously a strong appeal for mortal followers.

Nurgle, the god of pestilence and everything related to illness and messy digusting things. His appeal lay mainly among the ones who are rejected and live in the margins of society, often victims of his pestilence themselves.

All of the followers of Chaos will end more or less mutated by its toxic nature at some points.

Chaos features several distincts kind or armies as well as featuring 4 main gods.

Beastmen, are man/animal hybrid born from the corruption of Chaos.
    Demons, are well, demonic armies comprised of lesser and greater demons.
    "Regular" chaotic warbands, made up of champions, cultists, demons etc.
    And iirc, Marauding Norsemen who are some kind of evil vikings, think rather along the lines of naked and in fur madmen than along the line of your regular vikings (that would be the Norse).

Edit

I forgot the Skavens, who are mutated ratmen with a unique culture. They are a major threat to the old world, infest tunnels and sewers everywhere and are said to have a huge tunnel networks that allow them to travel where they want. The center of their power is located in marshes near Tilea (well, under said marshes...).
    Poor infantry, ninja like troops, giant ogre/rat, wicked firearms using a corrupting stone, warpstone (think uranium ) and a few other exotic things.
    Last edited by Keyser; April 23, 2015 at 01:14 PM.

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    I think, from what was hinted regarding the functionning of the 3 stand alone, that they are going with a model where each standalone contains a different set of playable factions.

You can play a regular grand campaign with one of the versions, but are limited to the factions avalailable in the stand alone. If you want to play with all the factions and areas of the maps, you will have to own all the games. Or something like that.
    At the end, there will probably be 4 campaigns.

Ok I know Paid Faction/Culture Pack DLC's aren't very popular amongst the community but seriously, if you guys release faction packs of the discontinued armies from the table top game I would totally buy it .

I mean, the armies of Kislev, Araby and the Dogs of war are what got me into the table top game in the first place!!! If you made them available via DLC I would totally buy them!

Estalia being renaisance or pre-reconquista Spain is quite a contradictory statment related to Spanish history, as pre reconquista is Visigoths domination, as it started the same year the Arabic invasion ended, and renaissance is the period just after the reconquista or the last part of it and the Reign of Charles I who is Charles V Holy Roman Emperor. What a coincidence knowing now that Karl Franz is somehow based in that King.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; April 23, 2015 at 01:09 PM.

Estalia being renaisance or pre-reconquista Spain is quite a contradictory statment related to Spanish history, as pre reconquista is Visigoths domination, and renaissance is the period just after the reconquista or the last part of it and the Reign of Chales I who is Chales V Holy Roman Emperor. What a coincidence knowing now that Karl Franz is somehow based in that King.
    Well take my pre-reconquista thing as meaning : Not united yet. I was thinking of the fall of Grenada more than of Visigothic spain.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Estalia being renaisance or pre-reconquista Spain is quite a contradictory statment related to Spanish history, as pre reconquista is Visigoths domination, and renaissance is the period just after the reconquista or the last part of it and the Reign of Chales I who is Chales V Holy Roman Emperor. What a coincidence knowing now that Karl Franz is somehow based in that King.
    Ehhh I don't know?
    I just know:
    Estalia = No idea they really don't have any models?
    Tilian:

Luccini:

Miragliano:

for a weird reason wikipedia does have a lot info about this o_o
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estalia

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Ehhh I don't know?
    I just know:
    Estalia = No idea they really don't have any models?
    They had some kind of conquistadors dogs of wars.

Edit :

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Keyser; April 23, 2015 at 01:24 PM.

Well take my pre-reconquista thing as meaning : Not united yet. I was thinking of the fall of Grenada more than of Visigothic spain.

Watching the images of Stalia troops, I would say that maybe the realm is divided but the troops are the early Spanish Empire ones, the tercios more exactly. So the Stalia concept is getting a mixed idea of the armies and the look of the country once united but with the political división that ended in the last period of the reconquista. It is an insteresting concept.

Here a link to a book, made by fan?, about Estalia very nice artwork:

http://issuu.com/m4cr1ii3n/docs/warh...0908_225012/85

Apart from that I like the ork band, where should they be placed, in the "Central Asia" in this WH world?
    Last edited by Bethencourt; April 23, 2015 at 01:32 PM.

They had some kind of conquistadors dogs of wars.

Edit :

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The lost legion is from Tilian? or is it just the leader?

they had the duellists ^^

Apart from that I like the ork band, where should they be placed, in the "Central Asia" in this WH world?
    The orcs and goblins is a vermin, they are everywhere ^^
    but the highest thriving ground, is in the area around the badlands, they are a nomad tribe they keep moving around to fight everything.
    Here a link to a book, made by fan?, about Estalia very nice artwork:

http://issuu.com/m4cr1ii3n/docs/warh...0908_225012/85
    Yes that is fan made, and not that bad honestly.
    Last edited by Karnil Vark Khaitan; April 23, 2015 at 01:35 PM.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

If you're done with Rome 2 (HA-HA! Good one!), or Attila, provide "you-know-what" tools, and let this theatre of TW sorrow end.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    The lost legion is from Tilian? or is it just the leader?

they had the duellists ^^

The orcs and goblins is a vermin, they are everywhere ^^
    but the highest thriving ground, is in the area around the badlands, they are a nomad tribe they keep moving around to fight everything.

Yes that is fan made, and not that bad honestly.
    There are lots of books in that link, I had not realized, about many factions.

The Tilean you posted in the previous post look like renaissance looking like Roman legions.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; April 23, 2015 at 01:47 PM.

john duca's Avatar Biarchus

Tomorrow the first DLC will be announced I think.

There are lots of books in that link, I had not realized, about many factions.

The Tilean you posted in the previous post look like renaissance looking like Roman legions.
    They are a mix mass of all the old cultures, I think Tilian is roman?
    But again not completely sure, what we know of them is from the "dogs of war" book, and it is really old.
    Most what we have now is just fan made.

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Yawn. Not my thing.

klesh's Avatar Senator

Man, SEGA has really changed CA. Now they've got them making Aliens games, Warhammer games, iPhone games and DLC chopping tons of content. I guess if it keep everyone employed there, thats cool.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Super huge map of the old world. Here you can see most old world factions, sadly ulthuan/western continent are missing. A few things here and there from the map are not canon.

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

Hey as an easter egg and cheat, put some space marines that plows through everything.

Wonderful news indeed, and a colossal endeavour. I've been waiting for this game for a long time... 15 years of excellent historical games, but this is something really different and fantastic. Obviously it won't appeal to everyone, but I think that if anyone can do this justice its Creative Assembly.

As for the constant rants about paid DLC, remember it's your call if you want to support the developers whilst they are still developing. Alternativley you can wait for sales or the gold editions, where you can pick the game up for a fraction of the price. That's what I did for Rome 2 and had the benefit of playing a much improved game from the original release.

Sure we are starting with a few races, but these will be highly detailed, with monsters, magic, flying creatures, would we rather wait for them to finish all of the races, and mercenary units by the 12th of Never and add that to the price tag of the release game? The DLC model is not just about choice, it allows games to be released affordably and maintains development. I prefer expansions, but am still a sucker for well done DLC especially for games that I want to see continue.

Talking of expansions any fans of Man O'War out there, I can only hope they will do as much justice to the Naval combat by including, magic flying creatures, and the odd Sea monster - that's a game I'd pay premium for just by itself.

This time if they don't dumb down the aspects that make the Total War series so classic, I am on board for the ride and will support all the way. My main concern is micro management - if they cannot resist the urge to put in war machine aiming, masses of special abilities that can be triggered, 3rd person jump in and slay. Please just make them optional and give us the option to just automate during the battles. I won't have time for all that I'll be watching the magnificent and terrible world of Warhammer miniatures coming to life.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Tilea is a variety of countries.

Miragliano is Tuscany & Lombardy.
    Remas is Lazio.
    Sartosa is Sicily.
    Luccini is Campania?
    Tobaro is like Aragon. Etc
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    Tilea is a variety of countries.

Miragliano is Tuscany & Lombardy.
    Remas is Lazio.
    Sartosa is Sicily.
    Luccini is Campania?
    Tobaro is like Aragon. Etc
    Colonel, why is this people ready to play a title set in a Fantasy Universe about which they don't know absolutely anything? Is it so strong the company's influence on players?

Does this mean that if CA decides to make a game about soccer all this people begin to read about soccer? If CA decides to make a game about Cricket we have to become Cricket experts? So if CA decides to make a game about the Third War of Italian Independence (Joking guys! It was an exaggeration just to be understood!) all this guys will start reading about Quintino Cenni and the Vetterli breech-loading rifle model 1870?

Please guys, keep calm, there is no need to become a Warhammer fan-boy if you don't like it, just because CA has decided to make a fantasy title! Relax!
    ... and don't forget that the Old World, as we knew it, now doesn't exist anymore! It's gone! Vanished! Kaputt! The End Times is here!