Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are supposed to play this game?

Default How are supposed to play this game?

I loved Attila, so far i played over 200 hours of it and finished 2 legendary campaigns, but one thing still puzzles me: The length of the Grand Campaign is so massive that I'm not sure if CA either wants us to spend 50~100 hours in every each one of them or if they want to experience the game and forget about beating it. I know this was even worse in Rome 2 but i barely played that game.

I feel a bit guilty about it, i was one of those who complained about the campaigns in Shogun 2 being too short(6-10 hours long), but now i kinda miss it...

Default Re: How are supposed to play this game?

I think they've provided options for both preferences. The Minor Victory requires only 120 turns and relatively modest other conditions, so that doesn't take so long. And realistically, once your kingdom/empire is large/rich/powerful enough to have satisfied the Minor conditions, then winning a higher victory is virtually assured. There's no reason not to consider it a legitimate win (and if you care about this sort of thing, a minor victory does count for the "Completed campaign as XXX faction" Steam achievement).

In my own case, I was happy to stop at Minor in the first 3 campaigns, largely because I was eager to try out other factions. Currently on a steady march towards a cultural victory with ERE, and at 450AD, might even go on for Divine Triumph if I think it's feasible (will largely depend on how many factions remain for me to defeat, since factions respawn far less frequently than they did in R2).

Or...you can do what tons of others do; just ignore the game win conditions entirely and set your own.

to play the game. double right click. Done.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Carlucio View Post
    I loved Attila, so far i played over 200 hours of it and finished 2 legendary campaigns, but one thing still puzzles me: The length of the Grand Campaign is so massive that I'm not sure if CA either wants us to spend 50~100 hours in every each one of them or if they want to experience the game and forget about beating it. I know this was even worse in Rome 2 but i barely played that game.

I feel a bit guilty about it, i was one of those who complained about the campaigns in Shogun 2 being too short(6-10 hours long), but now i kinda miss it...

TW games are supposed to be played any way you want.

The game is really a sandbox of Empire building. The objectives are only there for people who need `orders` or to be led around so they don`t feel `lost`.

I myself completely ignore the objectives and do what`s best for my people and faction and ultimately, how I enjoy it the most. I mean that`s the point since you are the Leader, no one else.

p.s. The only time I follow an objective is if there`s a cash\ building incentive that suits me, if not, it goes ignored.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

"The council has seen fit to expand our civic structure. Build a sanitation building."

"But... Why? Every province already has at least +10 sanitation..."

"MORE WATER." The councilor's face briefly falls off to reveal a fish head, before he sticks it back on.

The moral of the story is, always follow the missions to appease the fish people that secretly govern your empire.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    "The council has seen fit to expand our civic structure. Build a sanitation building."

"But... Why? Every province already has at least +10 sanitation..."

"MORE WATER." The councilor's face briefly falls off to reveal a fish head, before he sticks it back on.

The moral of the story is, always follow the missions to appease the fish people that secretly govern your empire.
    lol mate u got a talent

Then for those that dont fallow the objectives how do you "beat the game?" At what point are you satisfied enough to start a new one?

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Shika_mech View Post
    Then for those that dont fallow the objectives how do you "beat the game?" At what point are you satisfied enough to start a new one?
    Surely you can figure it out? I even partly answer your question in my post. Seriously, if you need me to tell you, then no wonder you need objectives.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Roleplay

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

I think i need objectives for more of a sense of accomplishment. I need the feeling of beating the game
    Last edited by Shika_mech; April 23, 2015 at 04:31 PM.

The problem with the objectives is that they're broken half the time just like in Rome 2.

Quote Originally Posted by blackberryalpha View Post
    The problem with the objectives is that they're broken half the time just like in Rome 2.
    How so? What do you mean? I know Rome 2 is more then a little flawed.

How so? What do you mean? I know Rome 2 is more then a little flawed.
    One example is ERE victory conditions. The military victory conditions require a Level IV Veteran Garrison Quarters...which is a WRE-only building not available to the ERE. So the only way to get it is to capture it from either the WRE itself or perhaps in one of their former cities. Either way, you're depending on the AI to build the thing for you (and not demolish it later)...so, a bit of a dice roll. As far as Cultural and Divine, those victories require certain Level IV buildings built using legacy techs which become obsolete and no longer available. It's pretty easy to mess up early in a campaign and inadvertently deprive yourself of eligibility for either of those victory conditions.

As a more general comment, Divine Triumph conditions require the destruction/subjugation of a LOT of factions. This was true of R2 as well, but the difference in Attila is that there's very little faction respawning; by mid-late game, it seems quite possible that there simply won't be enough potential enemies left to conquer. I've tried to set myself up for an eventual Divine in current ERE campaign should I decide to take it that far (original goal was Military/Cultural, both of which are getting quite close). But I look around the remaining players on the map, and the "Defeat X factions" requirement beginning to look daunting.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I don't think I've ever played a game with the intention of beating it.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

There are no such things as a too long campaign, too many settlements, too many units etc.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Campidoctor

Funny, this idea of "beating" games. As if games were a difficult challenge.
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post
    I think they've provided options for both preferences. The Minor Victory requires only 120 turns and relatively modest other conditions, so that doesn't take so long. And realistically, once your kingdom/empire is large/rich/powerful enough to have satisfied the Minor conditions, then winning a higher victory is virtually assured. There's no reason not to consider it a legitimate win (and if you care about this sort of thing, a minor victory does count for the "Completed campaign as XXX faction" Steam achievement).

In my own case, I was happy to stop at Minor in the first 3 campaigns, largely because I was eager to try out other factions. Currently on a steady march towards a cultural victory with ERE, and at 450AD, might even go on for Divine Triumph if I think it's feasible (will largely depend on how many factions remain for me to defeat, since factions respawn far less frequently than they did in R2).

Or...you can do what tons of others do; just ignore the game win conditions entirely and set your own.
    The game seems to have been designed for you to reach military or cultural victory as the intended completion, however. This is because the seventh seal cinematic occurs only if you have reached military or cultural victory. Doing so requires 220 turns, which is quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post
    One example is ERE victory conditions. The military victory conditions require a Level IV Veteran Garrison Quarters...which is a WRE-only building not available to the ERE. So the only way to get it is to capture it from either the WRE itself or perhaps in one of their former cities. Either way, you're depending on the AI to build the thing for you (and not demolish it later)...so, a bit of a dice roll. As far as Cultural and Divine, those victories require certain Level IV buildings built using legacy techs which become obsolete and no longer available. It's pretty easy to mess up early in a campaign and inadvertently deprive yourself of eligibility for either of those victory conditions.

As a more general comment, Divine Triumph conditions require the destruction/subjugation of a LOT of factions. This was true of R2 as well, but the difference in Attila is that there's very little faction respawning; by mid-late game, it seems quite possible that there simply won't be enough potential enemies left to conquer. I've tried to set myself up for an eventual Divine in current ERE campaign should I decide to take it that far (original goal was Military/Cultural, both of which are getting quite close). But I look around the remaining players on the map, and the "Defeat X factions" requirement beginning to look daunting.
    All of this seems like a huge problem and a hole in the late game. Does CA know about these issues>?

All of this seems like a huge problem and a hole in the late game. Does CA know about these issues>?
    The ERE isn't the only faction with victory condition problems, however.

For example, the Divine Triumph of many barbarian factions requires that you build a Warlord's Castle. However, this building can only be constructed in a city that is also your faction's capital. So if your faction's capital is a town rather a city, you cannot build the building. You also cannot change capitals in this game to directly remedy this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeratus View Post
    The ERE isn't the only faction with victory condition problems, however.

For example, the Divine Triumph of many barbarian factions requires that you build a Warlord's Castle. However, this building can only be constructed in a city that is also your faction's capital. So if your faction's capital is a town rather a city, you cannot build the building. You also cannot change capitals in this game to directly remedy this issue.
    Gues we can only hope theyll patch it....wish they would go back to Rome 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast