Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2015 IH planning thread

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: 2015 IH planning thread

I like it Kip, I like it.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Honestly I've really been itching to host another smaller-scale battle-oriented IH, like my old Civil War ones, or my Bleeding Missouri one which seemed to be decently popular.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    Honestly I've really been itching to host another smaller-scale battle-oriented IH, like my old Civil War ones, or my Bleeding Missouri one which seemed to be decently popular.
    Any specific setting you have in mind? Smaller-scale battles could also work as part of a post-apoc merc game since the players will most likely be fighting such battles when they opt to employ 'direct action' (ex. sneaking around to blitz the enemy command post through some mountain passes or w/e while the army they're working for holds the bulk of the opposition forces down, or operating as an independent detachment of the larger army to screw around in the enemy's rear) as well, btw.

If people don't want a mercenary-based game, perhaps one like the Wild West IH could be suitable, in a region contested by a variety of factions who have minimal presence, a few local allies each, and more local groups caught between them, like local petty lords ruling the ruins of a city, mercenaries, bandits, and more. Yes, this idea is somewhat influenced by Fallout New Vegas. We'd all be characters in a single party who for some reason have arrived(mercenaries, water merchant caravan, caravan, refugess, etc.)in this contested region, and local authorities/major figures would be revealed as they are encountered.
    Last edited by Xion; May 30, 2015 at 05:14 PM.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

I'm opting more for the mercenary IH. It would more likely provide a dynamic campaign, as well as setting the basis for a more prolonged game. The ability to relocate to another area or to take on a different mission would help to prevent stagnation from boredom. There would also be a greater diversity of missions, battles, and people encountered. Another issue I see with doing the Wild West IH game, is that it would be difficult to keep up with characters and their interactions. Where as with this mercenary IH the flow of the game could be more closely regulated because of the command structure.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by chesser2538; May 30, 2015 at 05:49 PM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Honestly I've said it before and I'll say it again, RPG IHs bore the out of me. Anything RPG, pretty much. By smaller-scale I meant in terms of players, not battle size. Two versus two or one versus one, but commanding armies and duking it out in proper fashion. I've been reading about Napoleon's Wagram campaign as of late and that's the one I'd like to try out most, but if nobody's interested then I won't bother
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

Citizen

I had an idea about what could be done for my character and wanted to get your opinion/approval. Iv'e shown it to Barry in PM and he thinks it is OK.
    I had the idea to make my character a battalion commander of an elite/shocktroop componet of the wild geese. the history and details are described below, but basically it would be a mercenary company that has joined its forces with the Wild Geese and essentially been incorporated. I thought that since they were originally there own company, they would likely have brought in over 1 battalion. thus allowing for a joint battalion. Another option being them being a special component of the Wild Geese. A form of Army Ranger troop, Not special operations but more elite than basic mercenaries. So what do you think?

The Crimson Skulls Company

Background

The Crimson Skulls Company is a mercenary company of some repute. It has been campaigning for over fifty years as a Medium Infantry unit, with the ability to do “unorthodox” missions (infiltration mission, stealth missions, and so on). They number two battalions of 1000 men with 300 or so in field support. It is noted as the only joint command battalion in the command structure, Allowed due to the unique circumstances that brought them into the Wild Geese.

The unit is unorthodox in its tactics and is known not to follow the “polite” rules of war on the battle field. It does not stand on tradition or status. In fact, they will more likely take surrender from a solid fighting soldier than from an ill-tempered commander (the Crimson Skulls are not known for taking prisoners). The company is known to get the job it was hired for. It does so with great success.
    Its reputation for success has been sullied by the history of the unit. They take on prisoners and captives. While on the field of battle their discipline is high, it is quite lax off the field. They are known to be a bit more rowdy than any mercenary company known to the ranks. Rowdy is perhaps an understatement. In many cases, some have quipped that the invading army might have done less damage.

They will accept soldiers from any level of society, then tend to accept desperate men… poor men, thieves, murders, and outlaws. They also recruit from other companies. Soldiers here leave their past behind them. They take on new names and nobody asks any questions. The company trains them up in the way of arms.
    This is true of their officers as well. The officers train up new officers from the Sergeants and Captains. Since birth ranks counts for nothing, it is all determined by merit.
    The company’s soldiers have many “exotic skills”. These skills get “passed around” between members. A son from a wealthy family might learn lock-picking, a thief might learn booby -traps, both might learn weaponsmithing and camouflage from others still. They have also picked up exotic weapon skills such as the katana and spear gun.

The Company has more Esprit de Corps than most units. The mercenaries are loyal to their company and their officers. In many ways, the unit is their family and their lives, as most have no other live outside the company. While most mercenary companies do not have “uniforms” The unit wears mostly black and red. Most helmets will normally be painted black with a red skill, and many packs are similarly colored. Everyone supplies their own equipment from their pay and is expected to keep it in good order. They just tend to keep the colors.

History

The Crimson Skulls have been part of the Wild Geese for nearly 30 years. Its origins are as a prisoner unit 45 years ago, desperate men freed from captivity on the promise to fight. Their First Captain (their name for general) was an old school military man of some rank who had fallen out of grace with his General and on to some hard times. In the few days he had, he managed to drill and motivate his unit into a somewhat effective force. He had them dye all their clothes black (as they were dead men to the world). He also treated them all equal despite their birth ranks (a tradition maintained to this day), after all… they were all prisoners now.

They were covered in blood (the red) and survived the engagement. The company then left the employ of the city that had birthed them the next day and became a mercenary band. The band became a company in short order, recruiting members as they went (and to tell the story, freeing prisoners of cities they “visted”). They were harassed by the various cities and states they visited, yet each one was willing enough to employ their services.

Eventually they captured the prewar military bunker of Mt. Weather. Positioned on the border between the Confederacy and the Free States, it provided a significant strategic advantage to whoever held it. When their employer was unable to come up with the other half of their pay, they simply took the bunker they had “liberated” and became tenants of their then employer.

In the year 2525, having been in existence for nearly a decade the Crimson Skulls forged an alliance with the Wild Geese that would eventually turn into a merger or companies when the then second in command of the Wild Geese Robert “Wildfire” Johnson was raised to become the Crimson Company commander, firmly cementing their long standing alliance and reforming the Crimson Skulls Company into the Crimson Skulls Battalion. This merger is also the reason the Crimson Skulls stand as the only joint Battalion, with its First Captain commanding 2 Battalions of men.

The unit has been well led for over fifty years now. It is going on its fifth First Captain. The Company is quite loyal to its member and its members loyal to the Company. Each man in the unit is dead to their old life, born again as a soldier of the Company.

Personally, I do not like it. As if one player gets to be a former mercenary company integrated into the Wild Geese in some fashion, in this case an 'alliance' of sorts that I presume after near destruction of this other company besides the one surviving company that merged with some understrength tactical company of the Geese afterwards, then who is to say everyone may want to have their force be some unique one that merged with the Wild Geese in some fashion, ranging from alliance, forced recruitment, etc.. Which to me would make it feel like instead of being one company, it is a loose 'alliance' of several or more only kept together by the NPC commander.
    Last edited by Xion; June 27, 2015 at 10:27 PM.

Citizen

My intention is to have a darker, more ruthless section among the ranks of the company to provide a contrast to the lighter ones, and also to create an alternative force of combat troops. We have a espionage section, and a field infantry section. However there seems to be a lack of elite combat troops.

As far as "some understrength tactical company of the Geese" goes. I do not see their company as understrength, but as a specialized force. A regular infantry force would likely need 2-3 times the numbers to operate at efficiency. For example the 75th Army Ranger Regiment is roughly 2000 men. If your worried about an imbalance in forces, we could scale down the size of the Battalions

And Regarding,"feel like instead of being one company, it is a loose 'alliance' of several or more only kept together by the NPC commander."

As I stated the Crimson Skulls would have been incorporated into the Wild Geese years ago. I was not intending the fact that they joined via alliance to come into play during the game. I'm just trying to flush out the backstory of the game a little. With the number of players we have, I don't see there being a lot of overlap concerning who commands the battalions.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I'm gonna say no as well, I don't think this is the direction we want the game to go in. We're all supposed to be equals operating under the NPC commander that's the whole point of the setting. This just opens up a can of worms best left sealed.

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

I plan to sign up eventually but I have finals this week so I don't have too much time.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Citizen

Ok then I guess I will scrap the idea. I will go ahead and just make my character a TC Commander and have his Battalion be named the "Crimson Skull Battalion" and, use his time with the company to provide backstory, and just have him and his men join the Wild Geese, similar to how Xion has her character join up. Is that acceptable by everyone?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123