Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [Obsolete AI Testing] Updated Pathfinding, Campaign AI and Battle AI

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Icon1 Re: Updated Pathfinding & BAI

Okay after about 20 different failed attempts to crack the hardcoded definitions for CAI stack control I've regrouped and made additional efforts in regards to CAI pathfinding. I do seem to have had some success in that regard. I'm going back to adjust certain other calculations the AI makes in hopes to further increase the stack merge/stack calculations before sieging (so no dumb sieges happen).

However, I am pleased to show these examples of improved stack merge thus far. Though the AI is loathe to merge family members with stacks it seems.

Although, they will also reinforce each other (examples) And note that it is turn 3

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

19 units in this stack

16 units

19 units

There were other examples too that I saw of large stacks (like india + the boii, though I only noted the boii with interest as india generally starts attacking with a 15 unit stack on my current ai so that's no big surprise). I prefer showing marked improvements like baktria (which is generally extremely passive and not able to stack merge properly) until now the brown stack (to simplify names) was a good example because it generally before uses a max of about 15 units. numidia too, in this regard has improved. The extra 3-4 units make a difference on the battlemap as we all know. Note I've tested a fair number of times so I can safely say this is a real genuine improvement in these respects. AI has also improved it's targeting of towns and become more intelligently mobile. I've noticed definite reinforcements into a single stack during sieges to increase their own odds/and also tactical regroups/merging due to this.

edit: this was just so exceptional I had to add it. I watched the AI use it's ships to move this group of units into position. It then sieged with the family member and is reinforcing with them. note, next images are turn 16 shots (anotherwords 3 years in)

edit2: another very exceptional cai move. it moved an army over to their fleet to act as an emergancy response stack. I was wondering where the invading force came from (after they landed from the sea) to force a seleucid stack to reinforce their besieging stack then eventually regroup in a minor city.

Also if you're wondering since when did the ai use their fleets, this is with the cai platform I'm using atm hence that difference.

If you don't believe me yet, here's another example

we need reinforcements to take this town! (proof to upward text passage^)

but wait! there's more! lets launch a two pronged offensive! one from the sea and the other from land with reinforcements!

Last edited by z3n; April 15, 2015 at 01:54 AM.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Default Re: Updated Pathfinding & BAI

Excellent work on the decisiveness, that's exactly what I was talking about. Combining troops, focusing on a single objective, reinforcing difficulties or threatened spots.

Now if you could get those damned Romans to go south first...

EDIT: A little more on the expansion priorities side of things. There really need to be conflicting priorities - as in two or better yet three or more factions who all want the same province, so we don't have the bizarre situation where none of the factions in a region are at war with each other. I've seen that in Gaul, for example, where Aedui and Arverni are at peace for decades while each heads off in a different direction fighting Rebels and other factions. Or no conflict arising in Spain while the Lusotannan and Arevaci are busy sweeping up the Rebels.

Plus if we could prevent the ahistorical and logistically impossible war across the northern Sahara between Carthage and the Ptolemies...
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; April 15, 2015 at 11:39 AM.

Well I took your suggestion and am trying this, here's progress so far. I made these two test factions pretty 'oppurtunistic' (romani/carthagians)

Observed another sea invasion + 3 blockades going on by carthages fleet (simulating the naval advantage carthage had) look at the very top of the screen for the third blockade going on I hovered my mouse over it to make it easier to see.

If you look carefully at the bottom of the picture you'll see the sails of the carthaginian fleet which dropped those besiegers off.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Seems like progress! (revised the descr_campaign_ai_db as part of a new test here)

Oh and if you're thinking carthage is looking a bit thin in the garrison, no.

We still have some activity up north with another naval invasion there but not much you can do about that without limiting the ai's aggressiveness towards slaves. Note though a successful siege of that settlement in the south (and it was first).

edit2: Looky, more progress in terms of saka! A nice stack and a family reinforcement to the battlezone.

War has broken out between the greeks and macedon! Another great thing I see. Also note the ambush.

If you're wondering at the fragmentation, two full 20 (probably a few other units too) stack armies have been destroyed thus far. And they're also utilizing delaying tactics, in the pass. Divide and conquer basically.

Small update for greece, naval invasion of knossos along with a regroup. (also another army reinforcing)

Last edited by z3n; April 15, 2015 at 03:07 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator

That's not fragmentation; fragmentation would be if I could see twelve little stacks dotted around the screen. Greece is normally full of tiny little armies doing nothing of value.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    That's not fragmentation; fragmentation would be if I could see twelve little stacks dotted around the screen. Greece is normally full of tiny little armies doing nothing of value.
    Alright glad to hear! Also here's a screenshot of the sucessors squablling among each other. Seleucid are a lot more vengeful/angry. If you look at the map change you can note that there are improvements in their expansion already. (more reinforcing and also egypt moving to reinforce/regroup)

Heres a minor update/overview of the aftermath + other happenings in asia minor

If you're wondering what the heck that pergamon guy is doing he's blocking a land route. And here is a closer shot of the vengeful 19 stack egyptian army led by a family member blocking in a 14 stack seleucid ex-besieger against the back of a city for reinforcements from there.

Here's one last greek update for now, note the two heavily garrisoned epeirote forts (in rome they've been attacking italy numerous times though being repelled)

Btw that captain is guarding the port from being land blockaded. Though it's currently getting blockaded by an enemy admiral.
    Last edited by z3n; April 15, 2015 at 03:26 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator

I just had to laugh, this was just so unexpected. The seleucids snuck a spy into that city then assaulted and garrisoned it forcing the egyptians back!

The AI Workshop Creator

I'm almost ready for releasing the first part of my CAI+campaign pathfinding to eb2 internal testing (should be today), though I am sure I will be able to release publicly soon. The second part which will be calibrated diplomatic/war priority values will be released/tested internally at first then publicly available.

This is just to make sure everythings working okay, and further improve AI performance possibly!
    The AI Workshop Creator

Further optimization resulted in genuine max stacks! At 20 units each only 9 turns in.
    The AI Workshop Creator

This is all looking promising. I'm really liking the decisiveness and focus, and the fact that the AI tries to retake things it loses. Side going back and forth between two of the major powers like that is really fitting, and feels just like a conflict gone personal.

My only concern is the pace - it looks like a very fast, aggressive game is going on with lots changing hands quickly. That sort of setup really favours the factions who are larger at the start, cue memories of the "silver death" or "yellow death" in EB1. Some of that, however, is due to the economics scripts and the size of starting armies many factions have - reduce these and it might slow the game down some.

Looks awesome man. Another thing i would suggest maybe if it's possible for the AI to garrison cities a bit stronger. It often happens that they leave border cities with like 1FM in, and the city is easy pickings if attacked. Even worse, i've noticed that sometimes they severly undergarisson a newly conquered town, and it rebels, while the army stands near the settlement instead.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    This is all looking promising. I'm really liking the decisiveness and focus, and the fact that the AI tries to retake things it loses. Side going back and forth between two of the major powers like that is really fitting, and feels just like a conflict gone personal.

My only concern is the pace - it looks like a very fast, aggressive game is going on with lots changing hands quickly. That sort of setup really favours the factions who are larger at the start, cue memories of the "silver death" or "yellow death" in EB1. Some of that, however, is due to the economics scripts and the size of starting armies many factions have - reduce these and it might slow the game down some.

True! I can reduce the invasion aggressiveness/decisiveness of major factions in regards to minor factions, (while increasing minor factions aggressiveness towards larger) though that will come in later builds. For now I am focusing on one step at a time. Hopefully we'll end up balanced
    The AI Workshop Creator

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    Looks awesome man. Another thing i would suggest maybe if it's possible for the AI to garrison cities a bit stronger. It often happens that they leave border cities with like 1FM in, and the city is easy pickings if attacked. Even worse, i've noticed that sometimes they severly undergarisson a newly conquered town, and it rebels, while the army stands near the settlement instead.

Keep up the good work!
    No worries man, I remembered to make sure it also calculates defensive properly.

edit: oh and I adjusted revolt chances for that sort of thing. I believe it should be AI only, I hope. That sort of thing needs internal testing as some of the changes I made are broad in scope like that and I'm focused on one thing at a time.
    Last edited by z3n; April 15, 2015 at 04:19 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Examples of the 20 stack family member led attack/defense parties and I took to pergamon too, after someone said they don't expand.

Just took a look around the map, there are quite a few major 20 stack armies by now. Of course there were before too, but here's a few examples

note roman units taking position at the river crossing.

This one I am showing the seleucid stack size (and their reinforcements behind), the egyptian is full 20 stack as seen by the banner colour full up.

3 stack siege, one full 20 stack and the other two supporting with 12 units and the other maybe 5, I forget the exact amount.

Last edited by z3n; April 15, 2015 at 05:27 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    True! I can reduce the invasion aggressiveness/decisiveness of major factions in regards to minor factions, (while increasing minor factions aggressiveness towards larger) though that will come in later builds. For now I am focusing on one step at a time. Hopefully we'll end up balanced
    Oh, don't worry, I recognise that this is early days, and balancing can be a job all of it's own. The fact that you've been able to have this much impact is huge progress.

Pergamon, Boioi, Arevaci, Numidia, Sweboz, Lugia all show variously little expansion in the past. I believe we had fixed this a little but all need help I'm sure. Thank you so much for all the energy you are putting into this!
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do."
    ~Voltaire

From what I've seen they're more mobile and actively aggressive now.

The Pritanoi took some real doing but they're acting now. (two provinces)

Here's an update, sweboz is still stack building and preparing for the siege while causing devastation.

Looks like Bosphorus thought they called dibs first (stack merge in preparation for an attack I believe)

Last edited by z3n; April 15, 2015 at 05:14 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Finished for today.

EBII testers/team members please check my work thread, thanks. (uploaded it for internal EBII testing)
    The AI Workshop Creator

Here's examples of the battle pathfinding

I overextended and they charged a mobile unit into my archers then rear charged with a second while I was distracted killing off their general + a few others.
    Last edited by z3n; April 15, 2015 at 07:23 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Default Re: Updated Pathfinding & BAI (internal testing for CAI overhaul in progress)

I think this will change the game
    Also about the speed of conquest, the total amount of turns in the grand campaign is around 1050. So i'll try and make it to the end this time in the faction progression thread. It would be a good idea to test an entire campaign. My short campaign lasted for around 450 turns as Taksashila.