Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The old good RTW

Banned's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Civitate

Default The old good RTW

Salve all!
    Since many people have started going for MTW2,RTW will be forgotten very soon.But there are many here who would always like it for one or the other thing.So,people here can discuss regarding what RTW brought for them and how it has been received by them so far,etc.
    For me it was just a never ending era that made real battles come alive for the first time in gaming history.
    How has it been for you people?
    Any bugs,issues,etc?
    Will you people forget about it soon and switch to MTW2?
    I hope for a healthy discussion here.
    Thank you.
    Vale!

Default Re: The old good RTW

I have M2TW, but I still like RTW. I had really great time playing it.
    I remember the first time I played it, I started the tutorial and I was very very very impressed. I felt really happy, because when I bought RTW it was a time that I had a great passion with Ancient history. So I was too glad that I would be able to represent the battles.
    When I played RTW for the first time I felt different, I felt a great satisfaction.
    Through I didn't felt the same with M2TW, I don't know why.
    New pics on 24/4/2007

Kallikratis's Avatar Miles

I like RTW very much. I don't know what new features MTW2 includes; it seems a RTW remake to me. What can i say about it? The advisors really helps players who never had a TW game before, i like the historical era the game covers, it's special formations, in one word: everything! It isn't fair for the game to be forgotten so quick i think.

Narakir's Avatar Decanus

MTW 2 is the definitive new option and improvement for the TW games and thier mods, but RTW still has it's worth for the mods that are made for it, I doubt they'll all be ported to MTW 2 surely not so some people will still enjoy RTW for some mod because they like the context and don't care about nice graphics but if you compare both vanilla games, RTW is gone.
    "They do not possess the true fire. They speak of creation and they boast of their potential but they do not create anything beyond the mundane. Their imagination is poor, obsessed with the small details. A true Dreamer, I say, creates a grand scheme and then concentrates on the details. Starting with the details is for the ants of the imagination - the small insects who aspire only to be fed.”

Nihl Xander, Godsmen Engineer - Planescape Torment

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Ah dont think it will be forgotten so soon. You forgot many people here looove the roman era and since no roman era mtw2 mods are out. There definatly going back to rtw.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Nutsack's Avatar Primicerius

I don't have M2TW but when I get it, it will most likely take RTW's honorary position on my desk which is usually below bread crums and pillows (yes I have pillows on my desk). Besantreas you reminded me about my first time in RTW, beginning the tutorial, there was a special touch to the game which just made it feel spectacular and amazing, but that soon faded away (didn't stop playing it though).

The worst part was that I did not know much about ancient history, and I took Rome: Total war word for word (OUCH! ) But since a couple of realism mods, spending time in History classes (I love History) and with my father (knows a bit), I have learnt a lot more.

Yes, I believed that pre-Marian Romans wore exactly the same uniforms in their class (Hastati, Principes).
    Yes, I believed that at 217 B.C.E The Romans controlled the entire Italian peninsula and we're divided into three families + the Senate in Rome.
    Yes, I believed pretty much everything (aswell as the Seleucid empire, Egypt, Parthians portrayed correctly).

When I look back at the old days I laugh. (well not really, I just slightly enjoy myself)

wopup2's Avatar Laetus
    In the suburbs of Philidelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

RTW will always have a place in my memory. Just like STW, and MTW. There is a scertain amount of uniqueness in each of the games. I Don't have M2:TW, and probably not any time soon. (taxing my wallet and hard-d drive too much). I'll wait a year or too for it to get cheap.
    Never spend an hour to save a thousand soldiers, when you can spend a thousand soldiers to save and hour.
    --So-Crates

Cymera's Avatar Roma Invictus

i love RTW cause i have always been fascinated with the Romans and their era (more so then with medieval times) the great mods for it, the modablility (which will soon be available for M2TW) in short Rome will never leave my HD.

Under the Patronage of the Wise Kara Kolyo in the Hallowed House of Wilpuri
    Proud Patron of the Charming
    Balikedes, an Insightful and Tactful Warrior.

Extended Greek Mod (XGM) Lover ..... A mod by DimeBagHo

"
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by
    experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

I just got a new PC and can finally play RTW properly.. It sat nearly unused for 2 years... So for me its kind of new all over again
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso
    I just got a new PC and can finally play RTW properly.. It sat nearly unused for 2 years... So for me its kind of new all over again
    I hear you....Now you just gonna have to wait another 2 years and then get a computer that is capable of playing M2TW. By the time, the majority will be playing Imperialism 2: Total War - The Iraq Invasion expansion.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LovasIjász
    I hear you....Now you just gonna have to wait another 2 years and then get a computer that is capable of playing M2TW. By the time, the majority will be playing Imperialism 2: Total War - The Iraq Invasion expansion.
    You mean there is an Imperialism 1:Total War? Where can I get it?!

Quote Originally Posted by LovasIjász
    That would be boring. All you'd do is drive around avoiding IEDs and watching civilians butcher each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Hader
    You mean there is an Imperialism 1:Total War? Where can I get it?!
    I heard, Rumsfeld has a beta-copy, but he lost his CD-key. Bush on the other hand, "modded" his game and now he only gets "crash to the desktop" . The game might get recalled before release.

- You guys hijacked this thread.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Spam will not be tolerated, please try to keep on subject.

Thankyou.

I don't have nor intend on getting Med 2 any time soon so it's nice to see members keeping RTW discussions going, the best thing about RTW for me now though is defiantly the quality mods many of which are only now being released.

WTF???

MTW2 is another game from CA. That is all. Just because this is a new total war game, by all means RTW will not be forgotten in along while.

Now that MTW2 has been released they will reduce the price of RTW. This means even more people will buy and play RTW.

RTW is a classic game that will stand the test of time, in much the same way that cs has stood the test of time.

Taelok's Avatar Senator

I have M2TW installed and have played it a fair bit, but I'm already back to RTW. I just love the ancient era it's set in.

Only dream I ever have. Is it the surface of the Sun?
    Everytime I shut my eyes, it's always the same.

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

When I played RTW for the first time I felt different, I felt a great satisfaction. Though I didn't felt the same with M2TW, I don't know why
    Same here. While I really like M2TW, it just doesn't have that "feeling". I guess it's because the game is a sequel. It kinda has that "been there, done that" feel to it. First time I played RTW, I can remember feeling like, Oh, WOW! This is AWESOME!" But now...eh, not so much.

What I'm REALLY looking forward to for M2 is to see what the Total Realism crew is gonna do.
    And I'm STILL waiting for a NTW2 campaign....

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Romanus.Invictus. Thank you for reminding us. No matter what, I wil love RTW. That was a ********** revolution. And with all its bugs and AI stupidity, it's an amazing game. So, I'm not alone
    If I could, I would give you as many eagles for this topic as I can.
    Last edited by Henry of Grosmont; November 16, 2006 at 10:32 PM.

backman's Avatar Libertus

I like all these strategic-tactic games. M2TW is a good game with a lot of improvements, but I prefer ancient empires based games. I love RTW. I love use my legions to conquer the entire world, from Hispania to Babilonia.

Sorry, but the Holy Roman Empire is just a shadow of authentic roman empire. lol

Btw, M2TW is also a great game . Thanks SEGA (and Activision in other times) and CA for this kind of games.

GAIUS BACKMANIUS, From Hispania.
    SPQR:TOTAL WAR FAN
    RTRPE: IMPERATOR II FAN

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

I'm getting MTW2 and will know I won't be playing RTW as much. But I will play it for the few odd times. Becasue MTW2 and RTW are two different games. It's their time periods that will make me play the game again. Not because of how the game plays all the horrible skins, I have grown to like the skins. So yes I will play RTW but like I said not as mcuh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast