Thread: A new cpu cooler

john duca's Avatar Biarchus

Default A new cpu cooler

I want to buy a new cpu cooler because intel stock cooler is a raging monster...I can't bear it when I play games.
    the problem is that the mobo is VERY small..the stock cooler is right near the RAM , no space left between them. So the question is , do you know a small , more silent , cpu cooler?

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: A new cpu cooler

Can you give us your specs? Budget?

I'd prefer a CPU-Z dump if possible. Or if you know your motherboard make/model and case make/model, that should be sufficient. This will tell us what socket type you have and how much horizontal/lateral/vertical clearance we're working with.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

This one is good, small, silent, and does it`s job well, but, it would be good to know your motherboard+case type as Spartan said.
    http://www.zalman.com/global/product...ad.php?Idx=468

Any good PC store near you? Or, want to order online? More details you provide, the better feedback you get.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

My specs : i5 4690k , gtx 660 , 8 gb ram , and the mobo is gygabyte h81m s2v. I have not idea what case I have. but it isnt big so a tall cooler would not fit. The budget is medium

I have the CNPS8900 that Elvenkind mentioned on my HTPC build. Very delighted to see/hear how quiet it was, and it should clear your RAM modules without a problem. I'm using it in my slim HTPC build (Thermaltake Lanbox Lite) where I have very little overhead clearance for the heatsink.

If you're overclocking too, perhaps consider an all-in-one (AIO) cooler like the Corsair H50 or H80i. They'll be a little louder than the CNPS8900, but will allow for more aggressive overclocking. The trick here is making sure you have requisite mounting points on your case for the radiator fan. Most likely you will, but some cases cannot accomodate the 120mm radiator/fan.

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

I always suggest the CoolerMaster Hyper Evo as a very decent replacement for stock, cools great, is much quieter and seems to fit most cases. Its also dirt cheap, I can get one for forty bucks in NZ so I imagine it would be even cheaper elsewhere.

Hyper evo is way too big... I will look for more info about CNPS8900 but it's 12 cm length..i am a little doubtful if it will fit

Quote Originally Posted by john duca View Post
    Hyper evo is way too big... I will look for more info about CNPS8900 but it's 12 cm length..i am a little doubtful if it will fit
    I'd have to agree.

The standard dimensions of the heatsink mounting points for LGA1150 is 95mm (9.5cm x 9.5cm). This space is indicated by the red square outline (my emphasis) around it. Since the CNPS8900 is 12cm in length, it would hang over the outlined area by about 1.25cm on either end (assuming it's completely symetrical when mounted). Therefore, the CNPS8900 would most likely overlap the DIMM slot(s).

I'll keep looking John.

(edit) Have we ruled out all-in-ones?
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; April 08, 2015 at 06:39 PM.

There is this site if anyone wants to search for a fitting cpu cooler. http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm

Good luck!
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

My mobo has 1155 socket.
    Thanks for the site elven

Quote Originally Posted by john duca View Post
    My mobo has 1155 socket.
    Thanks for the site elven
    That can't be right. LGA1155 is for Sandy and Ivy bridge, which is an older microarchitecture; I know because I have a LGA1155 Core i5 3570K. The Core i5 4690K is built upon the Haswell microarchitecture and the motherboard model you supplied is for Haswell processors, which is LGA1150. The screencap I took is not the exact model of your mothboard (my mistake), but same problem. Fixed the image.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    There is this site if anyone wants to search for a fitting cpu cooler. http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm

Good luck!
    Though height is an issue here, it seems the OP is more concerned about lateral clearance with his DIMM slots, which that site doesn't cover.

My final recommendation would be an AIO kit (e.g. NZXT x31, Corsair H50, H80i, etc.) with a quiet static pressure fan. It hits all your marks: great performance, moderate price, clears DIMMs, and the fans are as quiet as whatever you choose.
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; April 08, 2015 at 04:48 PM.

I dont know, I have three motherboards that are just as close, seems the evo seems to work fine, the Heatsink itself is orientated north south, so doesn't overlap the dimms at all.

The only space issue would be the height of it (or width of your case), but in saying that I have one installed in my HTPC case which is a cheap micro atx case and its fine.
    Last edited by Stildawn; April 14, 2015 at 04:49 PM.

Crazyeyesreaper's Avatar Primicerius
    Citizen

Cryorig H7 Universal,

http://www.cryorig.com/h7.php

clears the memory slots and is only 145mm tall the Hyper 212 Evo is 159mm tall.

The H7 performs better than the EVO costs the same and has better memory clearance while also being higher quality. They even have a printable origami sheet to see if the cooler fits you system or not. All u gotta do is add a height aspect to it of 145mm and see if side panel of case will close or not if it does your a-ok.
    Last edited by Crazyeyesreaper; April 09, 2015 at 01:03 PM.
    CPU: i7 3770K 4.6GHz / i7 4930K 4.4 GHz / i7 4770K 4.6 GHz
    CPU HSF: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro / Review Samples / Review Samples
    MOBO: Biostar TZ77XE4 / ASRock X79 Fatal1ty Champion / MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
    RAM: Mushkin Redlines 2x4GB 1866 MHz / 4x4GB Gskill 2133 MHz / 2x4GB Kingston 2400 MHz
    GPU: Integrated / GTX 780 / HD 5450 Passive
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w 80+ GOLD / NZXT Hale82 650w Modular / same
    CASE: Nanoxia DS1 / Nanoxia DS1 / Lian Li Test Bench
    HDD: 160 HDD / 512GB SSD + 120GB SSD + 5.5TB HDD / 60gb SSD

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    That can't be right. LGA1155 is for Sandy and Ivy bridge, which is an older microarchitecture; I know because I have a LGA1155 Core i5 3570K. The Core i5 4690K is built upon the Haswell microarchitecture and the motherboard model you supplied is for Haswell processors, which is LGA1150. The screencap I took is not the exact model of your mothboard (my mistake), but same problem. Fixed the image.

Though height is an issue here, it seems the OP is more concerned about lateral clearance with his DIMM slots, which that site doesn't cover.

My final recommendation would be an AIO kit (e.g. NZXT x31, Corsair H50, H80i, etc.) with a quiet static pressure fan. It hits all your marks: great performance, moderate price, clears DIMMs, and the fans are as quiet as whatever you choose.
    You're right , my older one was 1155 and i had to buy a 1150.

The water cooling is very expensive in my country for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyeyesreaper View Post
    Cryorig H7 Universal,

http://www.cryorig.com/h7.php

clears the memory slots and is only 145mm tall the Hyper 212 Evo is 159mm tall.

The H7 performs better than the EVO costs the same and has better memory clearance while also being higher quality. They even have a printable origami sheet to see if the cooler fits you system or not. All u gotta do is add a height aspect to it of 145mm and see if side panel of case will close or not if it does your a-ok.
    That looks super sweet, don't seem to have them here in NZ(where I live) I guess why I have never heard of them, but yeah looks solid.