Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEWS] WIP Preview Thread

Icon3 [PREVIEWS] WIP Preview Thread

Since we are currently in our "long phase" of the project, some players requested sneak peaks of what is being worked on (looking at you Black9!). Our unit team is hard at work on various aspects that will take a long time to properly implement. These include not only overhauled textures but also very specific plans for units and rosters.

I will use this thread to at least post screenshots of various test work as the texture side of things are being compiled. Ahiga has also done a ridiculous amount of research for the various cultures and rosters, but that is for use in-house and also isn't nearly as exciting as shiny pictures

*These preview images are works in progress and have many issues still being worked out.

Roman Previews

Ahiga really likes his scale! Check out dem Romans! (level of shine is a WIP also)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Various Western Roman Empire Units with some of Ahiga's WIP notes

Cohors. Tier 2 unit. 2/5ths armored, 3/5th unarmored. May reverse the ratio. Have to figure out if I want shield emblems (and which) or not.

Legio Pseudocomitatenses. First wholly armored unit. Tier 3.

Legio Comitatenses. 4/5ths wear red crests, others lack crests. Mostly mail with probably 2/5ths scale. They are supposed to have the little frontal late roman greaves but lack it in this screenshot, so I'll be fixing that.

Auxilia Palatina Juniores. You can see the problem with distinguishing them with Legio Comitatenses (or Auxilia Palatina Seniores, who are forthcoming). Most of their armor should be sleeveless mail and scale but the numbers didn't match up to what I wanted, so that'll be fixed.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Default Re: [PREVIEWS] WIP Preview Thread

Nordic Unit Previews

Barbarian General Appearances Previews

Various WIP German Unit Previews (East and West)

Last edited by Dresden; August 09, 2015 at 08:51 PM.

Huns

Desert Kingdoms

Sassanids
    Pushtighban: Shields will not appear on horseback, will appear on foot. Could let them use it in melee on horseback but I dunno. It'll just be the business of setting up the animation so it's easy to change.

Late Era Iranian Cataphracts - early era resemble the common Parthian/3rd century art of the two handed kontos bearer. Later era upgrade will turn them into the Khusrow I relief style cataphracts with shorter lances, swords, bow and shield. Your Pushtighban and Gyan Avspar will remain two handed kontos style guys, rest assured. I need to also remove the plain unadorned shields from these guys

Early Era Iranian Cataphracts: Will not have shield on the back on horseback, will wield shields when dismounted. Roughly 50% unarmored horses, 50% rawhide lamellar or felt or quilted armor.

Gyan Avspar: Same deal - shield not on back, only appears when on foot.

Zhayedan Immortal Cav (renamed to the title David Nicolle gives them in his book, and I find his research a bit more trustworthy. But I forget the Pahlavi term he used atm):

Azadan Noble Horse Archers (Elite Savaran replacement - no more silly crossbow cavalry): Same deal as above, shield doesn't appear on back ect.

Dehghans (Minor gentry, T2 horse archers) - May keep shield on back as they do use it from horseback in melee.

Nomadic Nobles/Notables: Replaces your T1 cataphracts (T2 are Early/Late Era, T3 your Pushtighbans, T4 your Gyan Avspars). Represent less settled or non Pahlavi/Sassanian horsemen. If there's a better term that could denote vassals at large like the Kushans and Albanians and others who are not nomadic (kurdan = nomadic in Pahlavi, no relation to the Kurds as we know them) then I'll change it to that.

Paighan-i Kofan or Hillmen Spears. Folks from the Elburz, Caucasus, Zagros and so forth. Fight more like thureophoroi than sparabara.

Paighan-i Sassani or Sassanian Royal(-ish) Spearmen (Replace the top tier Immortals):

Paighan-i Gund or Army Spearmen. Bread and butter soldiery.

Paighan-i Adurbadagan. Adurbadagan can roughly be thought of as the Caucasus - it originally denoted the specific province of present day Iranian-Azerbaijan (Media Atropatene) but would come to denote the kost-i Adurbadagan, the military district of the later Sassanians which encompassed Media Atropatene, Albania, Armenia, and some of north-western Iran up to Tehran. Modeled after the Galerian Arch persians with the addition of armor. Fight more like Thureophoroi. Also available in swordsmen form.

Paighan-i Raman or Commoner/levy spearmen.

Padishkhwagar Axemen. Padishkhwargar being the Caspian province/region of the Daylami, Gilani, Mazandarani.

Bandagan-i Azadan or retainers/followers/'horse boys' as Marcellinus calls them of the nobles. Your T1 trashy melee unit.

White Huns
    Lvl #1

Lvl #2

Lvl #3

Last edited by Dresden; March 21, 2016 at 02:35 PM.

Looks awesome, any chance we can get a "WIP Test Pack" like the previous one with some of these reskins?

Quote Originally Posted by Indalus View Post
    Looks awesome, any chance we can get a "WIP Test Pack" like the previous one with some of these reskins?
    I second this I haven't played Attila for a while waiting for an update for FOE even if its just a test pack

At some point hopefully, but these are very rough WIP images that haven't been implemented fully yet.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Really good work. Take your time.

Samraat Mahendra Maurya's Avatar Campidoctor

These look amazing! The Invasio Barbarorum for Attila!!
    Ich bin Kaiser von mauryan reiches

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Samraat Mahendra Maurya View Post
    Hey!

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Samraat Mahendra Maurya's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Hey!

Ich bin Kaiser von mauryan reiches

I wish that FotE can reach this level of excellence but with the actual mod tools capacity it will never be the case sadly. I mean we can do a really good mod but not with so deep modifications like in the past TW games.
    Last edited by Hadrien Ier; April 08, 2015 at 07:59 AM.

I'm afraid that's not the aim of this mod, probably because possibilities of modding on ATW are not big as RTW-BI.
    IB is a full conversion (units in all its diversity, characters, ancillaries, map, events, buildings, factions), is ATW so mutable ? Let's wait for the IBIII crew.... probably next year for an initial response !

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Since we are currently in our "long phase" of the project, some players requested sneak peaks of what is being worked on (looking at you Black9!). Our unit team is hard at work on various aspects that will take a long time to properly implement. These include not only overhauled textures but also very specific plans for units and rosters.

I will use this thread to at least post screenshots of various test work as the texture side of things are being compiled. Ahiga has also done a ridiculous amount of research for the various cultures and rosters, but that is for use in-house and also isn't nearly as exciting as shiny pictures

*These preview images are works in progress and have many issues still being worked out.

Roman Previews

Ahiga really likes his scale! Check out dem Romans! (level of shine is a WIP also)

Various Western Roman Empire Units with some of Ahiga's WIP notes

Cohors. Tier 2 unit. 2/5ths armored, 3/5th unarmored. May reverse the ratio. Have to figure out if I want shield emblems (and which) or not.

Legio Pseudocomitatenses. First wholly armored unit. Tier 3.

Legio Comitatenses. 4/5ths wear red crests, others lack crests. Mostly mail with probably 2/5ths scale. They are supposed to have the little frontal late roman greaves but lack it in this screenshot, so I'll be fixing that.

Auxilia Palatina Juniores. You can see the problem with distinguishing them with Legio Comitatenses (or Auxilia Palatina Seniores, who are forthcoming). Most of their armor should be sleeveless mail and scale but the numbers didn't match up to what I wanted, so that'll be fixed.
    This is wonderful, i can't wait to play it!

I don't have much to show that's very snazzy at the moment, was busy the past week and the work I had done is the less glorious shield-decorum. However every unit (excepting Exploratores, Praeventores, shields for the clibinarii and I think equites sagittarii) have their own shield designs with a WRE/ERE split. Not sure what I will do for the Exploratores and Praeventores - I can probably scrounge up a shield for them closer to release.

Because we lack any references for ERE cavalry emblems in the N.D. I went with fictional color variations of WRE ones, ideally justified by the presence of a similarly named unit (not always the case but usually). So ERE Vexillatio Comitatenses have a recoloring of the Equites Armigeri http://lukeuedasarson.com/NDequitesArmigeri.html while the WRE has said Equites Armigeri. One exception is the Vexillatio Palatina where the dual presence of Comites Seniores in the WRE and ERE listings let me use that emblem for the ERE, and batavi seniores for the WRE http://lukeuedasarson.com/NDequitesBataviSeniores.html

Lots of boring information, so what everyone comes here for is what I'm working on now:

CA has some great new sleeveless vests for lamellar or scale but I am attached to my jury-rigged strapped scale/lamellar vests I made way back for Lines of Battle and then Constantine. I'll start down the line to use their's, but I see no reason to not continue using mine as it still works with some finagling.

It's not applicable in the screenshot on the leggings, but I am using my template of CA's great heavy mail (exact same specular, normal, gloss and diffuse) to replace some of the less appealing mail patterns they used - that look too faded, too small res, ect. Doesn't show up on the leggings in R2's TWEAK because of reasons too complicated to explain, but works ingame. I'll also be doing the mail over with Avetis' coifs (seen here) as well as CA's own coifs/aventails.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Looking good...I like lots of information

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    I don't have much to show that's very snazzy at the moment, was busy the past week and the work I had done is the less glorious shield-decorum. However every unit (excepting Exploratores, Praeventores, shields for the clibinarii and I think equites sagittarii) have their own shield designs with a WRE/ERE split. Not sure what I will do for the Exploratores and Praeventores - I can probably scrounge up a shield for them closer to release.

Because we lack any references for ERE cavalry emblems in the N.D. I went with fictional color variations of WRE ones, ideally justified by the presence of a similarly named unit (not always the case but usually). So ERE Vexillatio Comitatenses have a recoloring of the Equites Armigeri http://lukeuedasarson.com/NDequitesArmigeri.html while the WRE has said Equites Armigeri. One exception is the Vexillatio Palatina where the dual presence of Comites Seniores in the WRE and ERE listings let me use that emblem for the ERE, and batavi seniores for the WRE http://lukeuedasarson.com/NDequitesBataviSeniores.html

Lots of boring information, so what everyone comes here for is what I'm working on now:

CA has some great new sleeveless vests for lamellar or scale but I am attached to my jury-rigged strapped scale/lamellar vests I made way back for Lines of Battle and then Constantine. I'll start down the line to use their's, but I see no reason to not continue using mine as it still works with some finagling.

It's not applicable in the screenshot on the leggings, but I am using my template of CA's great heavy mail (exact same specular, normal, gloss and diffuse) to replace some of the less appealing mail patterns they used - that look too faded, too small res, ect. Doesn't show up on the leggings in R2's TWEAK because of reasons too complicated to explain, but works ingame. I'll also be doing the mail over with Avetis' coifs (seen here) as well as CA's own coifs/aventails.
    Everything's looking great Ahiga. Do you have the full unit roster list for the Romans done? I'm curious what it looks like.

More or less Black9. Bear in mind this is a rough unofficial roster without the proper names, just the 'conceptual names' as I mentioned I am taking you Latin experts' advice into use (Cohors Comitatensis instead of Legio Comitatenses and so on). Units are available to WRE and ERE unless specified otherwise. Also Tier is not CA's tier, but my own conceptual sense with Tier1 being the lowest and the highest digit being the top tier. Emphasis was on re-cycling CA's own unit slots although some/many will be having their total stats and quality changed.

What I'd like to do when we/gunny gets to statting and unit abilities is have a mild distinction between Legios and Auxilia Palatina of the same sort of level (Comitatenses Legios and Auxilia Palatina Juniors might be comparable to eachother). Vegetius is probably wrong that the Auxilia Palatina always wore lighter armor or no armor, but it's clear they were trusted to more irregular and fluid fighting than the legionaries. So my thought would be the Auxilia have better attack, charge, movement speed and of course some sort of war cry. The Legionaries would then have better defense, 'maybe' moral, density and formation options. Course both did use the shield wall and it's possible both did the fulcrum too, so that leaves the legionaries in a bit of a bind as to what they'd get (maybe offensive testudo). It wouldn't be so severe as to force legionaries to be the anvil and Auxilia Palatina to be the hammer, but be slight enough to encourage using Auxilia on mobile offensive actions and legionaries in more of the brutal meatgrinder fighting.

As you'll see the differences between the WRE and ERE are minimal, kept right now just to their elite units. Ideally, if AOR becomes available it should be a matter of geography rather than culture that separates the two. I'd really like to give the ERE Indigenae Horse archers (and foot archers), Isaurians and the like and the WRE Numidian javelinmen and cavalry but it'll feel weird if you can recruit Numidians in Britain and Eastern horse archers in Greece. If there's still faction specific mercenaries (haven't even played a campaign yet lololol) I might put Numidians and Indigenous archers in the WRE/ERE faction mercenary slots respectively.

Melee Infantry:

T1 - Numerus (Half-barbaric auxiliaries. No armor)
    T2 - Cohors (Limitanei grade residual troops. Mix of armor and no armor)
    T3 - Pseudocomitatenses (as name implies semi-regular. Right now all armored, will probably stay that way)
    T4 - Comitatenses Legionaries
    T5 - Auxilia Palatina Juniores
    T6 - Auxilia Palatina Seniores
    T7 - Palatina Legionaries
    T8 - Herculiani et Ioviani. Unique right now to only the WRE. Have shields and I think VMD to make them available to ERE if so chosen (since the name doesn't imply they are the seniors or the juniors). Unit capped.
    T9 - Brachiati Seniores. Unique right now to only the WRE. Unit capped.

Spear Infantry:
    T1 - Limitanei/Cohors Spears (Mix of armor and no armor)
    T2 - Comitatenses Spears
    T3 - Auxilia Palatina Spears
    T4 - Lanciarii Seniores. Unique right now to only ERE. Unit capped.
    T4 - Cornuti Seniores. Unique right now to only WRE. Unit capped.

Missile Infantry:
    T1 - Sagittarii
    T2 - Armored Sagittari

T1 - Limitanei Ballistari
    T2 - Comitatenses Ballistari
    T3 - Palatina Ballistari [Probably made available to WRE and ERE]

T1 - Funditores.

T1 - Levis Armaturae [Javs]
    T2 - Limitanei Exculatores [Javs]
    T3 - Comitatenses Exculatores [Javs]
    T4 - Palatina Exculatores [Javs]

Missile Cavalry
    T1 - Scout Equites [Wasn't sure about keeping them or not, but I figured why not in treating them like cavalrymen stripped down to just their clothing, hats, light bucklers and swords to truly scout]
    T2 - Equites Illyriciani/Dalmatae - transformed into proper skirmisher cavalry, not melee cavalry with javelins as they are right now.

With Sagittarii I know the WRE will get them too, but I am not sure quite what I am going to do here. I think they'll be stripped of their armor. Likewise Dromediarii. Kind of annoying to let you recruit them in Thrace.

Melee Cavalry
    T1 - Equites Alae. Probably all armored, maybe 75% armored.
    T2 - Vexillatio Comitatenses. Your Promoti, rank and file cavalry
    T3 - Vexillatio Palatina. Your high end cavalry.
    T4 - Scholae Palatina. Your elite cavalry. Unit capped possibly, but probably to some really high number like 20 or so.

Remove Excubitores and Tagmata.

Shock Cavalry
    T1 - Contarii. Presented as Numerus/Auxilia of Sarmatian origin. Armor, lances, no barding.
    T2 - Cataphractarii. Heavy armor, a mix of barding and no-barding, lances.
    T3 - Clibinarii. Heavy armor, all barding, current bow/lance/sword getup.

Wanted to replace Excubitores and Tagmata with Scholae Cataphracts and Clibinarii for the ERE. Would offset their lack of Elite named Legio (Herculiani) and elite named Auxilia (Brachiati). Should be possible to do. Harder thing is to make them stand out visually, which may be a minimal difference in this release.

I also really want to have Bucellarii on the Hunnic model like Aetius (and further along Belisarius) had - armored horse archers without barding but with lances and maybe shields on the forearm (if not on the horse/strapped to the back and used in melee). Not sure if that will make it in this release or not.

Comprehensive approach for Foederati will have to wait until we have a concept in mind for them. This is just to adjust CA's take on the Romans.
    Last edited by Ahiga; April 11, 2015 at 01:06 PM.

Proof of concept for the Clibinarii. Please note it is just a test ingame, as I already know how to fix the heads clipping the mask and other issues. Will likely have to finagle it so only certain armors have certain coifs, and also do a test of what CA's own coifs look in comparison to Avetis' coifs here. All I was doing was testing the coifs and seeing how they handle the new attila armor/faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post

Proof of concept for the Clibinarii. Please note it is just a test ingame, as I already know how to fix the heads clipping the mask and other issues. Will likely have to finagle it so only certain armors have certain coifs, and also do a test of what CA's own coifs look in comparison to Avetis' coifs here. All I was doing was testing the coifs and seeing how they handle the new attila armor/faces.
    This is wonderful, it have a lot of details and i cannot describe my feelings here for it was too complicated for me to use use words to describe it.

May the gods bless FOTE team and one day i could enjoy FOTE mod when it is finished.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The ND lists a Equites Persae Clibinarii as a Palatina unit for the east, under the Magister Militum Praesentalis II, also the Equites Clibinarii Parthi are listed under theMagister Militum Praesentalis I, also a Palatine unit. These might be nice additions to the East?

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast