Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [SUBMOD] Reduced Garrison

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Reduced Garrison

Perfect And by reports from Paladin, it seems like they might work with old saves. The only problem is the UI. So even though it says there is 16 units in the garrison, there is only 13 (these are just examples from his game). If this is the case the mod might be save game compatible with only the UI not changing, though it might do this if the city changes hands. The actual garrison should be reduced anyway

If you are using the 1.1b fix you need to change the load order as the fix will overwrite changes made by the reduced garrison submod.
    To do this you can just add a number of, @ to the name of the reduced garrison file or remove a few from the name of the 1.1b fix pack.

Paladin247's Avatar Biarchus

Saw the same thing again last night. The U/I said there were thirteen units in a settlement, but when we assaulted there were eleven and about half were level 1 townsfolk defenders who cut and ran after a few whiffs of our legion's flaming artillery barrage. Great work Flash!
    "With a population of around a million, Rome (in Claudius' time) was a vast city even by modern standards. It is worth pointing out that during the early Renaissance the population of Rome was no more than fifteen thousand-- living amid the ruins of a civilization that dwarfed their own. It was not until the nineteenth century that the population of Rome returned to the levels it had enjoyed under the Caesars. That is eloquent proof of the fact that human history is not a tale of steady progress towards greater knowledge and achievement." Simon Scarrow

Perfect So its only the UI which doesnt change. thanks for the report Paladin.

Updated OP with a small fix to version 1 and 2. Missed a few rows
    Thanks to Thomas for that.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    Updated OP with a small fix to version 1 and 2. Missed a few rows
    Thanks to Thomas for that.
    Ta

Hi,

I just finished fighting for Ancrya (large walled settlement). There were 15 garrison units, some pretty tough! When I took the settlement I only had 11 garrison units from their buildings they had (2 from military, 9 from city). Not sure how they managed to have 15!

What is the typical number of garrison units for a capital when using this mod?

thomas_r's Avatar Decanus

What was the level of the city ? and the millitary building they have ?

Edit : I think since the millitary bulding of your opponents was not to the same culture (for example you are Hellenic and them Barbarian) you do not get their garrisons.
    And If you havent converted the city to your culture that's why you get less troops.
    Last edited by thomas_r; November 06, 2015 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjacko10 View Post
    Hi,

I just finished fighting for Ancrya (large walled settlement). There were 15 garrison units, some pretty tough! When I took the settlement I only had 11 garrison units from their buildings they had (2 from military, 9 from city). Not sure how they managed to have 15!

What is the typical number of garrison units for a capital when using this mod?
    Screenshot or it didnt happen but jokes aside.. Try getting a screenshot next time And like Thomas wrote, the level of the different buildings is needed aswell as the culture.
    And from DeI version 1.05 all unconverted buildings provide you with a "foreign" and weaker garrison

Screenshot or it didnt happen but jokes aside.. Try getting a screenshot next time And like Thomas wrote, the level of the different buildings is needed aswell as the culture.
    And from DeI version 1.05 all unconverted buildings provide you with a "foreign" and weaker garrison
    Thanks for the quick feedback. I am less concerned about the change in garrison after conquer than I am of the sheer number of units (15) of the original garrison.

I am Pontus, they are Galatia so there is culture difference. Here are screenshots as requested:

Left: Before capture (15). Right: Immediately after capture (11)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garrison.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	331970

Edit: I am using military buildings provide extra garrison, hence the cavalry. Just to point out even though the stables are of a different culture I am still granted the bonus garrison after conquer (which I don't mind because I will remove this building anyway).
    Last edited by rjacko10; November 07, 2015 at 06:58 AM.

thomas_r's Avatar Decanus

You get less garrison because the main capital building is not hellenic but barbarian, thats why. Once you will convert it you will get more garrison

The download link appears dead, could you rehost it please?
    - As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University -

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbler View Post
    The download link appears dead, could you rehost it please?
    Rehosted.

Quote Originally Posted by rjacko10 View Post
    Thanks for the quick feedback. I am less concerned about the change in garrison after conquer than I am of the sheer number of units (15) of the original garrison.

I am Pontus, they are Galatia so there is culture difference. Here are screenshots as requested:

Left: Before capture (15). Right: Immediately after capture (11)

Name:	Garrison.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	331970

Edit: I am using military buildings provide extra garrison, hence the cavalry. Just to point out even though the stables are of a different culture I am still granted the bonus garrison after conquer (which I don't mind because I will remove this building anyway).
    Its a bit early in the morning so bear with me.
    As I understand you question, you want to know why they have 15 units in the garrison prior to you conquering it?
    If that is the case, They recieve 12 from the city and 3 units from the cavalry stable

And yes, barracks will still provide you with units as these buildings are not part of the new foreign garrison system we implemented with version 1.05. If my memory serves me right.
    Hope I answered your questions, otherwise just write them again. Perhaps I will get them the third time.

Thanks for the answer I was just a bit confused about the change in garrison numbers.

The main issue I had was that this settlement had 15 units in garrison. I feel this is still too much for me. I will switch over to the original version where military buildings don't provide any additional units. I didn't realise it contributed 3 units!

Already at tier 2 they do. With the version including reduced garrisons for barracks you wont see them add any units until tier 3 and 4 and only 1 or 2 units, where infantry barracks will provide melee garrison units and the woodworker or archery range will provide archers.

Unfortunately the links still aren't working, could you attempt to upload to another provider please? Perhaps Steam workshop?
    - As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University -

Already at tier 2 they do. With the version including reduced garrisons for barracks you wont see them add any units until tier 3 and 4 and only 1 or 2 units, where infantry barracks will provide melee garrison units and the woodworker or archery range will provide archers.
    Ah that sounds a lot better Thanks for all your work putting these together. much appreciated.

For some reason I've never liked garrisons much. AI camps on them and they give too much of a home advantageI preferred the old total wars where you had to manage each garrison independently. I remember having to weigh up risk of attack against upkeep of units when deciding the size of garrisons. This is just another layer of complexity stripped away by CA.

Hi, sorry to keep bothering you. I've got your file named version 2 (although it came from the version 3 link in the OP) which is reduced from every building chain and I'm getting the numbers below. Is this correct? I really want less units than this. And the military buildings still seem to contribute to garrison. As you can see this one has hoplites and cav despite the military building only being level 2.

All your help is much appreciated!!

Name:	2015-11-11_00001.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	647.1 KB 
ID:	332173

Level 2 buildings adds 1 unit I believe, instead of the usual 3 units. This can easily be tweaked if you only want lvl 3 and/or lvl 4 barracks to provide garrison units

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast