Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [SUBMOD] Reduced Garrison

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Reduced Garrison

The changes we made were to unconverted buildings. So there are new classifications for garrisons tier 1-3 (each culture now has their own group for those tiers).

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

This will be updated after Divide Et Impera version 1.1 have been released.

Working on an update for this submod but I would like suggestions from people enabling me to create a better submod.
    Some of my ideas are:
    1. Garrisons for major cities especially lvl 3 and 4 will only have slightly decreased garrisons. The idea is that when the AI and the player get to these high level cities, their armies are likewise stronger and a greatly reduced garrison will only cause the late game to be too easy and therefore go against the general idea of DeI.
    2. Garrisons for small cities will have their garrisons reduced. Lvl 1 and 2 will have a few high tier units removed to illustrate a small town only defended by the untrained villagers and not veteran axemen or well equipped hoplites.
    3. Garrisons units from low tier barracks might (Need to study them more) also be reduced though it does make sense for them to be able to provide a few more or less trained units.
    4. User/Player ideas are more than welcome.

I like the idea of only walled settlements having proper garrison forces compared to minor ones having little to none. Maybe even make a factions capital have a powerful garrison force that's stronger than a typical walled settlement? I don't know about which units to include but a factions capital should have a strong defense better than anything else in their empire. This could cause issues with capitals in minor settlements but maybe have those specific settlements be given special treatment to work it out. Other than that, glad this mod being worked on again!
    Last edited by Emperor Bonaparte; September 22, 2015 at 12:40 AM.

Just by looking in the files I dont think I can give faction capitals bigger garrisons as in the dB files there is nothing differentiating them from the others as garrisons are based on the city building which is the same for all.
    Unless I can find something in the startpos but would have to ask Dresden about that.
    If the submod when ready for 1.1 also works with 1.05 I will release it before 1.1

So this is what Ive done so far.

1. Lvl 2,3 and 4 major cities have 1 unit less.
    2. Lvl 4 Fort cities have 1 unit less.
    3. All 4 levels of minor cities have 1 unit less.

Removing 1 unit is not the only thing I have done. For some levels high tier units have instead been replaced with low tier units.
    An example of this would be level 4 minor city (T1 meaning tier 1 unit and could be armed townsfolk).
    In DeI they have: 0 T1 units, 4 T2, 2 T3, 6 T4 and 3 T5 = 15 Units

With Reduced Garrison they have: 0 T1, 5 T2, 5 T3, 3 T4 and 1 T5 = 14 Units.
    Though I have only reduced the total by 1, I have in total removed 5 high tier units which could be either heavy swordsmen/hoplites and/or cavalry.
    This is not solid and if people have other ideas as to how the garrison setup should be, feel free to post your own suggestions.

Updated OP with a new link. Should work for version 1.05 and eventually version 1.1.. Please report if that is not the case.

When I start up the game, it crashes every time on loading screen. When I remove the pack file, game works fine.

Will look at it in a minute

updated op with a version which actually works for DeI version 1.05.

Durador's Avatar Civis

i will try this out when i start my new campaign. thanks for the update.

I'm loading it before DeI but I don't see any difference with it on or off. I even turned off all other mods leaving just DeI and the garrison mod and still no change in garrison. If I'm correct the total garrison should be 1 less unit per garrison city/town but I see only no change with a level 1 garrison 12 units in lvl 1 city and 11 units in lvl 1 towns. Is this correct? I also see no change in unit tier as well. I've checked, rechecked and checked again like a dozen times trying to figure it out but can't seem to find out what I'm doing wrong. I'm using the mod manager as well.

If the numbers are correct then what exactly are suppose to be the number of tier units per lvl city/town?

For the first level of both walled and unwalled the numbers are 11 and 12. This is to present the AI from getting beaten too early. If level 2 only have 13 units the mod is working. Bear in mind that I have only done a quick one and rely on user comments to perfect or at least tweak it in the right direction. Garrisons cannot become too weak as some factions, like Carthage might suffer too much and get wiped out

Where factions lack in garrisons they should make up for with proper armies to defend the settlements.

Yeah but that would require changes which is much larger than just slightly tweaking garrisons But version 1.1 will make changes to some of the major factions which should help them defend better.
    Introducing CAI changes to this submod would be a big process of testing which I dont have time for since Im already working on DeI 1.1

That, and I believe we had brought up adjusting the garrisons such as giving non fortified/civil towns much lesser quality garrison troops, making the distinction between a military/garrison settlement much more apparent than against a market settlement or such.

LOL. I know that. Which is why I havent changed garrisons for forts at least not as far as I remember

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    LOL. I know that. Which is why I havent changed garrisons for forts at least not as far as I remember
    It would probably have to wait until the potential overhauling of the entire start pos anyways. So much work for Dresden.

Paladin247's Avatar Biarchus

I just tested this with Dei 1.05. Loaded as last mod in front of Dei. Did not start a new game. Tabulated all 14 of my Roman settlements before implementing the mod and then after. No change in number of garrison units in any settlement after mod installation. All settlements at level II. Six walled settlements had 14 units except for Roma which had 17. All non-walled settlements had 12.
    "With a population of around a million, Rome (in Claudius' time) was a vast city even by modern standards. It is worth pointing out that during the early Renaissance the population of Rome was no more than fifteen thousand-- living amid the ruins of a civilization that dwarfed their own. It was not until the nineteenth century that the population of Rome returned to the levels it had enjoyed under the Caesars. That is eloquent proof of the fact that human history is not a tale of steady progress towards greater knowledge and achievement." Simon Scarrow

Odd since the changes are present in my campaigns. I will try and test it out again also on old saves.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast