Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [SUBMOD] Reduced Garrison

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Default [SUBMOD] Reduced Garrison

REDUCED GARRISONS

Short Description:

This submod does exactly what the titel suggest. It reduces the city garrison. Both walled and unwalled cities have had their garrison reduced and especially for the unwalled settlements, some of the high tier units have been replaced by low tier units. This is to reflect that this is a small settlement, protected by townsfolk and perhaps a few spear-armed men.
    Two other versions of the submod is available.
    One will reduce the city garrisons and garrison units added by Forum Buildings
    The last one will reduce garrisons from both the City, Forum Buildings and Military Buildings
    The submod is fully functional with Divide et Impera version 1.1.

Updates:
    Updated with reduced number of garrison units added by Forum Buildings
    Updated with reduced number of garrison units added by Forum Buildings and Military Buildings

What is to come:

Tweaks and Adjustments.

Installation:
    Version 1: Reduction of ONLY City Garrison --> DOWNLOAD LINK
    Version 2: Reduction of City and Forum Building garrison --> DOWNLOAD LINK
    Version 3: Reduction of City, Forum Building and Military Buildings garrison --> DOWNLOAD LINK
    Extract the .pack file to your data folder (THIS WILL LOAD BEFORE DEI)

***THIS IS SAVE GAME COMPATIBLE*** The only problem is with the UI. The UI might inform you that there is 16 units in the garrison. But when attacking this number will be reduced to fit the numbers of this submod. Hopefully the UI resets after the city has been conquered

Bugs:
    If you find cities missing a garrison you need to write...
    -The faction you are playing
    -Walled or Unwalled settlement
    -Resource

Notes:
    Ideas and discussion is more than welcome. This will only help us make the submod even better.

Credits:
    thomas_r
    Last edited by FlashHeart07; November 10, 2015 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Updated for version 1.1

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Reduced Garrison

Thanks mate!

Testing it out now on new campaign... good job

Looks good, nice to have less garrison with lesser units! Thank you!

I think I've found a bug though. When attacking a garrison and depleting their units, but not winning the settlement, on the very next turn the garrison units were fully restored.

This maybe because the battle was at sea (all garrison in transports). The AI attacked my small blockading fleet and I destroyed some transports but ultimately lost the battle. On my next go I use my fresh land army to attack and all the garrison units are there.... so I don't know whether this bug is vanilla, DEI or yours...

Thank you!

I can try and have a look at it but I think this might be a problem with the game/DeI. I believe that the problem with fast regenerating garrisons have been mentioned before.
    But glad that you are enjoying it

A couple things, first of all I like how this encourages the AI to attack cities more often, and leads to more cities changing hands, as well as the difficulty in maintaining border cities without an army around.

But I've noticed Carthage is getting royally screwed over because of it.

I'd been using the mitches major faction's thing to ensure carthage at least survives (though even with that the rarely manage to capture any city besides their starting territory....) but now the garrisons for them are so small that even the auto resolve bonus can't help them.

Is there anyway I could get you to make a version where punic garrisons aren't effected?

I'd rather have a decent fight against Carthage, even if it has to involve 20 stack garrison troops rather than having carthage sit there and starve to death after losing a bunch of cities to Iberians.

I looked at the pack file myself, but I can't understand what you did to change garrison troop numbers, or what half of the stuff in the junctions tables means.

Edit: I forgot that they use the "greek" main building chains.

I suppose having the Greek factions have tough garrisons is fine, this should help out Macedon and the Selcuids, as well as keep the Galatians from dominating Anatolia like they did in my two 80 turn test runs with this mod and some other modded stuff.\

Also, even though I can't understand what does what, if I just over write the changes in your file, with the existing DeI Greek building numbers, it should revert the greek garrisons back to vanilla DeI values right? Guess I'll find out.

Edit 2: Forgot to mention a bug with your sub mod. Some building chains have no garrison at all. The Roman civil, and roman farming settlements have no garrison at level 2 or level 3, but have a garrison at level 1.

And I am still not sure what I'm doing in these tables.
    Last edited by Ivan_Moscavich; May 26, 2015 at 09:35 PM.

Correct that if you overwrite from the original DeI it will revert my changes. I could look into increasing some of the garrisons but yeah it will do the same for all using that type. Unless there is some way I can change it and give Carthage their own chain. I will also look into the bug
    When I get home later today I can tell you more precisely what each table mean

That'd be much appreciated.

The specific names in each junction tables aren't matching up for me with the numbers on the left between your sub mod and the main DeI pack, so I'm not sure exactly were to copy from and to. That's what I'm having trouble with.

You mean the ID number? Just go for the building level if you need to copy paste. And if you are going to do major changes use notepad++ . It will make things alot easier. PM me if you have any other questions
    Building level: Tells you what building and at what level it is.
    Unit group: Tells you what kind and how many units they have in the garrison. In the main mod there is a table that tells you what kind of units each of them represent. Like rom_core_garrison_1 is the lowest tier of garrison units and rom_core_garrison_5 is the highest tier unit.
    Last edited by FlashHeart07; May 27, 2015 at 02:03 PM.

I actually created my own version of a reduced garrison mod by making garrison units half their original size in main units and the startpos, and then tweaked CAI to ensure it uses it's armies better to defend settlements so that capturing them isn't too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by LucasPiazon View Post
    I actually created my own version of a reduced garrison mod by making garrison units half their original size in main units and the startpos, and then tweaked CAI to ensure it uses it's armies better to defend settlements so that capturing them isn't too easy.
    Could you elaborate on how you did this? If it remove the problem of Carthage getting mauled it might be a better solution. This submod I created was also only ment as a quick fix and will/should be further improved I just havent had the time due to enormous amounts of school work and exams

If you mean the CAI tweaks, the idea is that any existing forces in the region are more likely to fall back and defend a settlement in times of war as opposed to waiting for you in a choke point so to make siege battles still challenging and interesting even with small garrisons. I haven't tested it extensively, but I don't think it would help Carthage since it only means redistributing existing forces more efficiently, as opposed to actually producing more forces in areas of need (although I am looking into that). I did it in 'campaign_ai_personality_junctions_tables', there is a lot of good stuff in there, particularly for navies, but I just increased 'REGION_DEFENCE_BASE_PRIORITIES_SETTLEMENT' by about 50%.

If you mean the unit size, I halved the number of men in the main units 'GAR' table, and then the amount of mounts and animals in the land units 'GAR' table. Then I laboriously went through the startpos for a few hours, halving the second and third variables of all units with prefix 'GAR' under:
    COMPRESSED_DATA/CAMPAIGN_ENV/CAMPAIGN_MODEL/WORLD/FACTION_ARRAY/FACTION_ARRAY-#/FACTION/ARMY_ARRAY/ARMY_ARRAY-#/MILITARY_FORCE/UNIT_CONTAINER/UNITS_ARRAY/UNITS_ARRAY-#/UNIT

Other than that, I'm not sure if it's balanced in the auto resolve, but I think that's easily fixable with some other campaign_ai_personality_junctions_tables variables and would just need testing.

Auto resolve will be a bigger problem since parts of it is hard coded. We have the same problems with DeI

Update please

Will do when I get the time And perhaps I will redo it to see if I can improve the submod

Does this mod work with the current DEI version?

There may be conflicts since we introduced some garrison changes in 1.05.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

skimyy's Avatar Civis

Any chance this could make it into official submods of DeI?

AI ALWAYS builds military buildings more than anything in nearly all their settlements, which buffs the garrisons and you end up fighting nearly a full stack of garrison.

I havent updated this submod for a while so as Dresden pointed out there might be conflicts and odd stuff.
    If this will make it to the official submods I cannot say as it is not up to me to decide.
    If people desire it, I can work on a new version for the current DeI version

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast