Thread: Needs help for a Mod

Icon5 Needs help for a Mod

Hello everyone, not to sure if anyone can give me an answer for this but I have an issue on a mod im working on called Horde Sagas. I have redone most gameplay aspects for the VI portion of Medieval, but have issues with the Rebel Faction showing portraits. Every time a rebellion occurs their army lacks the default leader portrait in Campaign map + the pre battle screen and states no portrait for this unit type? If someone with knowledge to fix this could tell me id be a happy camper.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Needs help for a Mod

My guess would be (with the limited info I got here) that you have the ”wrong” number of portraits applied for pagan generals and that is the cause for your problem. As I understand it, MTW can probably ONLY handle either 1, 24 or 62 portraits (in this particular case) without generating any errors. Once you have either 1 portrait, 24 or 62 for pagan generals the error should disapear. Obviously the portraits have to be in the right file-format as well to work with the game – TGA, 24bit colordepth (32bit might work too)...

Errr... If you have only changed the “Viking expansion part” of the game then you need to make sure you actually have a proper “General”-folder were the game expects one – as in under “Vikings” in the portrait-folder - there should be a folder named “Pagan” (and within that another one labelled “General”). And once that is certain you can - as I understand it - ONLY have 1 or 60 portraits, or the game will start whining and generate errors somehow, or so I believe. That said, it is possible that my VI file-mechanics and specifics are somewhat rusty these days...

Anyways, try the stuff and find out....

- A

OK Axalon I believe you have it figured out, ill go through all things you say to weed out possibilities, and ill tell you what it was. Thanks for the response Axalon!đź‘Ť

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    My guess would be (with the limited info I got here) that you have the ”wrong” number of portraits applied for pagan generals and that is the cause for your problem. As I understand it, MTW can probably ONLY handle either 1, 24 or 62 portraits (in this particular case) without generating any errors. Once you have either 1 portrait, 24 or 62 for pagan generals the error should disapear. Obviously the portraits have to be in the right file-format as well to work with the game – TGA, 24bit colordepth (32bit might work too)...

Errr... If you have only changed the “Viking expansion part” of the game then you need to make sure you actually have a proper “General”-folder were the game expects one – as in under “Vikings” in the portrait-folder - there should be a folder named “Pagan” (and within that another one labelled “General”). And once that is certain you can - as I understand it - ONLY have 1 or 60 portraits, or the game will start whining and generate errors somehow, or so I believe. That said, it is possible that my VI file-mechanics and specifics are somewhat rusty these days...

Anyways, try the stuff and find out....

- A
    I tried all these solutions to try and fix it, but all files where normal and had proper count. I checked the basic pagan-general and the viking-pagan-general files but all is right. Is there a script error possibly making the rebelling general not show, or is it just this type off problem?

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Strange...

I would verify that all the portraits in question actually do work as supposed to (with the game). Just to exclude the possibility that the files themselves are the cause for all this stuff. Once that is done the possible reasons for what is causing that error-message becomes drastically reduced and should be already covered in my previous post - as I understand it. In other words, if it is not that... Then it basically has too be something else you have changed (and have not mentioned here so far). Beyond that there is probably only one other alternative left - given the info you have provided so far - and that would be that you have been unintentionally been using a corrupt save when checking this portrait-stuff. That could perhaps explain all this...

Ergo, make a new install of MTW, apply ONLY the relevant portraits and then see what happens... If they do show up, then they (the files) are OK and it has too be something else. Sometimes we are (in modding) left with little choice but to retrace our steps in order to find out what went wong. Ummm, if it turns out that this is only with certain units this stuff happens then you got the problem right there, changes in the unit-file. I don't know man, I have too little info on all this to give you any good other suggestions at this point, I think...

Anyhow do some further tests and retrace your modding on a new and fresh install of MTW, then you apply piece by piece of your stuff. Without modding there is no such problem, neither in the raw game or in the VI-expansion. That is at least as things should be.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; April 01, 2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Corrections...

Ok corrupted save was it, thanks!