Thread: The big town wealth bug Fixed! Patch mod

Icon3 The big town wealth bug Fixed! Patch mod

This mod fixes a glaring bug in town wealth increases, and is really something that should have been in a patch from CA to begin with. Simply put, in the stock game, in a region with ports, a town can never increase in wealth beyond the poorest port. This mod fixes that, so that towns grow equally well in regions with and without ports. That's all it does, the rest of the game is unchanged. It doesn't change the coding behind the increases, just makes it work properly. Think of it as a much needed patch, rather than a mod. Using it, ports and towns both grow in wealth. In my game, every town (and port) in England has increased to wealthy, despite starting with a very poor port.

List of Features: Ports increase in wealth, and towns can increase in wealth in regions with ports. No other changes.

Installation: The same as any other mod, it's pretty much as basic as possible.

Compatibility - haven't tried it with any other mods, but I would assume it would be compatible with many of them, since it only changes one table, which I assume wouldn't be touched by most mods.

What it does to an existing game: When I installed the mod for the first time, all 4 ports in England increased from Very Poor to Poor in one turn. It worked normally after that. Presumably when installed, all pent-up existed town wealth increase is used immediately, so there's no lost buildup.

Changelog:
    Version 1.0 - release.

Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/app9ichbmc...xing.pack?dl=0

Much indebted to poa, who in this thread discovered what the fix was. I just made it into a mod and posted it. He should get more credit than I do.

Cross posted from Compilations and Overhauls due to it's nature as more of a patch than a mod.

Default Re: The big town wealth bug Fixed! Patch mod

Apparently there's a catch I didn't notice until I started a new campaign. Ports now also grow in wealth, and the wealth generated by a port depends on how wealthy it is. This only applies to ports built after the mod is installed, I think.The bad news is that apparently all ports in vanilla default to Wealthy, so port wealth for a Very Poor port (most of them, including most fishing ports) is halved. I think I'll make a separate mod that increases port wealth by 50%, as a separate mod so you can decide if you want it or not.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

This looks like a useful mod, good luck with developing the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by BraselC5048 View Post
    Apparently there's a catch I didn't notice until I started a new campaign. Ports now also grow in wealth, and the wealth generated by a port depends on how wealthy it is. This only applies to ports built after the mod is installed, I think.The bad news is that apparently all ports in vanilla default to Wealthy, so port wealth for a Very Poor port (most of them, including most fishing ports) is halved. I think I'll make a separate mod that increases port wealth by 50%, as a separate mod so you can decide if you want it or not.
    now if I install this mod, my ports will grow? I am playing ottomans and all port in anatolia is very poor. will this help improving ports when I start new campaign?

Just to confirm, you don't need to edit the script file to make this work? Just drop it into data?

TheSilverKnight - Developer for IBFD

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverKnight View Post
    Just to confirm, you don't need to edit the script file to make this work? Just drop it into data?
    No, definitely not. You still have to edit the script file to make it work. (It is still a mod, after all.)

Quote Originally Posted by prologuee View Post
    now if I install this mod, my ports will grow? I am playing ottomans and all port in anatolia is very poor. will this help improving ports when I start new campaign?
    Actually, it will help all ports grow in wealth, (and more importantly the towns in regions with ports), even if installed in the middle of a current campaign. It also immediately (after the first end turn) releases all pent up town wealth increases in regions with ports, so you might see several ports and towns jump in wealth to what they would be if the mod had been installed from the beginning. I also currently believe that it will affect all ports, including those built both before and after the mod is installed.

What I was getting at is that now a Wealthy port will be worth the same as what it was before, while a Very Poor port will be worth half as much. Vanilla treated all ports as if they were wealthy when determining their GDP.

Luckily, a companion mod that increases port GDP by around 50% will be released by the end of the day tomorrow! (Hopefully). With the additional port GDP mod, a Very Poor port will be worth about 75% of what it was worth in vanilla, and a Wealthy port will be worth 50% more than it was worth in vanilla. For those already using this mod, all ports will see roughly a 50% wealth increase.

And the port GDP fix is out! On this thread.

Right, so just add 'mod town_fixing.pack;' to the script file and good to go?

Forgive me, it's been ages since I've played Empire!

TheSilverKnight - Developer for IBFD

You got it. Can't believe CA didn't catch this bug. And its definitely a bug, since it sort of ruins economic development in some of the most important regions, including England, France and Spain.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Great Work! +rep
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

You know, I think they ought to sticky this one. It's not really a mod, all it does is fix a very big bug, and nothing else, merely by changing one entry on a table nobody else uses. Really it's just a minor patch more than anything else, and a rather important one too.

Hi BraselC5048! I made a steam guide crediting you and poa. Sorry if it is off topic, but maybe you remember any other bugs which the community was able to fix on it's own? And I'm specifically asking for fixed bugs here. Not for mods or rebalancing.

Quote Originally Posted by ilia_r_s View Post
    Hi BraselC5048! I made a steam guide crediting you and poa. Sorry if it is off topic, but maybe you remember any other bugs which the community was able to fix on it's own? And I'm specifically asking for fixed bugs here. Not for mods or rebalancing.
    Well, there's the companion port GDP mod of mine which (as mentioned above) roughly fixes the reduction in port GDP caused by the bug fix. Essentially, with the bug fixed a Wealthy port has the same GDP as all ports of that type without the fix, and a Very Poor port half the GDP. Since most ports are on the low end of the wealth spectrum, that reduces in the GDP of regions with ports and of ports in general. Essentially, the rebalances an unbalance created by the bug fix. So that might not fit your "no rebalances" criteria, even if it reduces the effect a mod has on changing the gameplay in the end.
    To describe what it does in detail:
    Luckily, a companion mod that increases port GDP by around 50% will be released by the end of the day tomorrow! (Hopefully). With the additional port GDP mod, a Very Poor port will be worth about 75% of what it was worth in vanilla, and a Wealthy port will be worth 50% more than it was worth in vanilla. For those already using this mod, all ports will see roughly a 50% wealth increase.
    For another true fix, there's my improved diplomacy mod. Now you won't run up a massive diplomatic relations penalty from territorial expansion except for those factions who are close to the regions you're capturing (who would be understandably nervous.) It also fixes the War penalty - the AI knows when they're beaten and after continuously loosing the war for a while, will actually ask you for a peace treaty. And often you can get them agree to paying thousands to you as part of the peace terms.
    With factions you aren't actually fighting, to give an example, I was playing as the Brits and Prussia got dragged into a war with me as part of an alliance. I sent my navy in, destroyed the half dozen tiny ships they had, raided their ports and then left. After 6-8 years of no conflict (around a typical length for a war during this period), the diplomatic relations penalty was down to very little, and Prussia offered a peace treaty in exchange for a modest lump of cash. I declined, and over the next few turns of negotiations as they got less and less interested in fighting we finally settled for a lump of only several hundred in exchange for a peace treaty.

I would recommend NEVER playing without the Orange Crush mod. (I forgot who made it.) It keeps the Marthas from inevitably overrunning India and then the middle east and onward unless you invade India early, (and even invading on the "regular" schedule they had advanced as far as Persia), and reduces "exploring" outside India. Highly recommended, just always use it. I suppose it counts as a bug fix, anyway.

Moving into the category of what you're not asking for: It's a rebalance mod, but my big navel rebalancing/Marth/Mougel Zebec mod reduces Gallions to the equal of 4th rates rather than 3rd rates, reduces the excessive effectiveness of the smallest ships, replaces sloops, brigs and 6th rates for the Mathas and Mougels with 24 gun Zebecs, which greatly resemble ships actually used in India during the period, and gives the French a 24 pounder frigate (which historically they invented, so their omission of them or a Razee is even stranger).

I made a mod not requiring the steam drydock to require the Steam Engine (but didn't go through the trouble of renaming it then), just the highest level navel building technology, so you'll actually see the AI build them and face 1st rates and heavy 1st rates.

PS: The email letting me know of your reply wound up in my junk folder, fortunately it's only been a week.

That's a lot of info. Thank you for the answers! And, btw, I've already checked your port GDP and diplomacy mods - the diplomacy is certainly a must. As for GDP, well, how can we judge if lower GDP is not actually intended, but broken by the bug and increased excessively) Yet I tried it as well. Orange Crush by PikeStance is good. It introduces a whole new AI behavior model for Marathas specifically. As for the naval rebalancing mod - I'll definitely check it out.

From my side, I strongly advise to check trueman11's naval cannon bug fix. It fixes the galleons! Check it out. It has 2 versions: just the fix and the fix + rebalancing of ship batteries in accordance with ships' in-game text descriptions. https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...mple-naval-fix
    Last edited by ilia_r_s; August 05, 2022 at 05:00 AM.

Hello, starting a new campaign I noticed that if I destroy the current town building, the next turn the town will be bumped to Wealthy regardless of its initial level of prosperity; like, if a destroy the building in place in a very poor town, the next turn when I'm given the option to build a new building the town has suddenly become wealthy.

Any idea? Might this mod be responsible for this bug? I thought that maybe the towns get reset to the stardard wealth level of ports which is "wealthy" and this is why the bug occur