Thread: The Critic's Quill: Issue 45

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default The Critic's Quill: Issue 45

From the Editor's DeskWhat is an editorial? This is something I find myself pondering as I sit at my new desk. In the past, our editorials for the Critic's Quill have followed a rather similar pattern; introducing the issue and highlighting each article or review at the beginning, then thanking the team at the end. I'm quite surprised previous editor's never took much time to ramble on about themselves to any degree. Then again, I guess we've never had such a vain and arrogant editor as I before...

I'm sure many of you have seen that there's soon going to be a change in Total War Center's Content branch, as we move from the forums to the 'front-end' of the site. This brings with it many changes to how we structure and publish issues. For all I know, this might be the last forum-published issue. So its an exciting and scary time as we move into uncharted waters, but rest assured we're going to strive ahead and continue to bring you top quality insights into our little literary world.

I'd also like to take this chance to thank m_1512 for his fantastic work as editor this past year and a half. It was messy losing Juvenal, Robin and Dance in such a short space of time and m can only be commended for steering the ship back into safe waters; not only keeping us afloat, but charting even greater courses for us. I hope you'll all join me in congratulating him for a fantastic tenure and wishing him all the best in the future.

So what do we have in this issue? First and foremost we have our reviews of the latest Scriptorium writing competition. Merchant of Venice and new staffer Alwyn both helped cover the competition, whilst I ended up having to review my own entry - a first perhaps in Critic's Quill history? Hopefully it won't happen again, lest our egos get too large! Merchant returns to bring us his rundown of 'holiday readings', although despite the lateness of publication his fine words and insights are assuredly still timeless! Alongside McScottish he reviews the Shogun 2 after action report 'Arasoi', whilst the former goes on to discuss the future of Total War AARtistry. Finally I round things off by talking - for far too long - about how we categorize after action reports. We can only be thankful Total War Center's member awards doesn't have a category for 'Most Boring Member' - I fear I would 'win' by a landslide!

I hope you all enjoy the issue as much as we enjoyed crafting it. Change is in the air as we look set to move to greener pastures, whilst furthermore expanding our own horizons. As editor I definitely have my own ideas for the Quill, although I'm also keen for my fellow writers to pursue their own interests and create their own legacies as critics. Time will tell how this new era of the Quill will be remembered, but I for one am sure 2015 will be a thoroughly exciting year!

Sayonara,

Hitai de Bodemloze
    Editor

Table of Contents
    1. Catching up with the Study
    2. >>Exectute
    3. Revenants
    4. The Fisher King
    5. Life
    6. The Presidence of Ambriel
    7. Arasoi
    8. Holiday Readings
    9. What does the Future Hold?
    10. Picture Books: contesting the story/screenshot dichotomy
    11. Negotiating the Fourth Wall: towards a new narrative
    12. A History of Categorisation

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Critic's Quill: Issue 45

Catching up with the Study
    Report by Hitai de Bodemloze

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. I don’t know how I manage it. Wait, sorry, I mean happy holidays! I hope everyone had a super Christmas/Hanukkah/New Year! I’m super excited about 2015 and there’s already been a flurry of activity in the Study. So let’s get stuck in!

With the departure of Dance from the staff, our editor here m_1512 graciously stepped in to take over the Tale of the Week competition. With TotW 229 already in full swing, William the Marshall secured an easy win, playing on the theme of ‘Tywin Lannister’ (something to do with a show calledGame of Moans or something?). Beating everyone’s least favourite deputy editor by a landslide, William’s poetic tale of pagan ‘corpse-dragons’ and ‘far-wandering Cwichelm’ earned a well-deserved victory.

TotW 230 was entitled ‘The Horde’. The competition was fierce indeed, with only one vote being the difference. In the end, the strange fellow who does the Critic’s Quill news –all the time… – won, with a story of a young Chinese schoolgirl. You’d think people were sick of that kind of thing by now, seeing as that’s pretty much all he writes about anyway.

‘The Decays of Time’ were the poetic subject of the next Tale of the Week. M. Laveur won a victory with a simply astounding tale. Apologies, but I actually love it, it’s incredible. One of my favourite pieces of writing on the boards. It’s poignant and beautiful and tragic and just awesome. Everyone should go and read it.

Ahem, yes, professionalism. Name of the game and all that. TotW 232 went under the guise of ‘The Terrible Oath’. Unfortunately, that deputy editor guy won again. Yeah, it’s a shame, I know. Something about marriage and cults and cynicism. Whatever, who cares right?

It’s time to D-d-d-d-d-ddddduel! Sorry. ‘The Duel’ was the title of TotW 233. I’m not sure why I didn’t enter with a Yu-Gi-Oh tale, but hey ho. With a very tongue-in-cheek tale, returning author Lortano claimed first place by a landslide. Huzzah indeed!

Tale of the Week patron Darkan was to win first place in the next competition. With the subject of ‘Ninja’, he crafted a wonderful tale of assassination in feudal Japan, using an impressive array of foreign terms and some interesting stylistic choices.

With TotW 235 still running, let us turn our attentions to our other competitions. You might remember the victor of MAARC LIII from last issue, where he participated in the group interview. bourboncream with his wonderful tale of the Roman Republic ‘aut vincere mori’ stormed into first place. In a rare instance of tied tiebreakers , two AARs both claimed second place. One was the magnificent Shogun 2 tale ‘Way of the Bow’, by our own Merchant of Venice. The other was some weird thing about ghosts or something. Not too sure how that managed to get any votes at all really. Finally Stavros_Kalmpou rounded off the podium with his excellent Medieval 2 tale ‘The Restoration of the Comnenoi’ – proving that despite the passing of time, these older titles still have so much life left in them.

MAARC LIV saw our most recent pressman Alwyn take third prize with his Empire story ‘Eiri Amach: Irish Uprising’, a tale of rebellious daring do in eighteenth century Ireland. After yet another tiebreaker, Merchant of Venice finally prevailed, taking ‘Way of the Bow’ to the top spot and leaving me in the dust yet again. There’s always next month though! Congratulations all round. Well, apart from to me of course. Congratulations to Merchant and Alwyn!

With a slow few months for the MCWC, we’ve only seen the MCWC VIII since the last issue. Dance’s ‘Tale of a Young Knight’ and NCR’s ‘Vengeance and Forgiveness’ both drew the third-place tiebreaker, whilst Lortano returned to take second place with his fantasy creation ‘Empire and Republic’. Then someone else took first place. Who? Doesn’t matter. Best ignore that.

Finally, the Study began its Yearly Awards competition in January! Continuing from where the old AAROTY competition left off, the Yearly Awards have stretched to include a whole host of new and exciting categories, with rep prizes and Writers’ Study points up for grabs. The nomination period is just about to close and the voting period is about to commence, so definitely check that out!

There was also talk of a duel, but nothing has yet to come of that. I will definitely keep you posted however. Aside from that, everyone should join me in welcoming Merchant of Venice to the Writers’ Study staff! Now someone else can learn just how hard it is to juggle two jobs! I kid, I kid, he’s already gotten off to a flying start!

That’s about it from me, so I’ll see you a bit later on. Keep reading and keep writing y’all!

>>Execute
    Scriptorium Competition, Summer 2014, first place, by Kip
    Reviewed by Hitai de Bodemloze

‘>>Execute’ was the first place winner of last year’s Summer Scriptorium Competition. I myself voted for it, so I definitely felt that it was deserving.

The story has a very Matrix/2001 vibe to it, seemingly about reconciling humanity with artificial intelligence. The narrator is presumably an AI; it its words ‘the first and last of my kind’. The main theme running throughout the piece is the similarity between it and its creator – a human. This is done by stating that the human ‘neurons firing staccato bursts of electricity’ are code, in just the same way the AI is ‘composed of 0s and 1s’.

The author reinforces this parallel with lines such as ‘I have code, just like you. We are family!’ This creates a sense of irony, satirizing the traditional perception of AIs as something to be fear; something that will surpass and destroy humanity. In ‘>>Execute’, this is reversed. The AI longs for a ‘caring embrace’ and to be loved in the same way that it loves its creator. This actually creates a sense of pathos and makes the reader sympathize with the machine.

This is brought to the fore by the interesting dynamic between ‘speech’ and inner monologue. In contrasting paragraphs, the AI reveals its own inner thoughts on one hand, whilst speaking to its creator on the other. The AI’s speech, marked with the ‘>>’ tag, is simple and plays into stereotypical depictions of AI; a far cry from the depth of description in its inner monologue, which is something seldom explored in other stories. By just looking at the dialogue itself, one would get little impression of the AI’s ‘humanity’, which reinforces the notion that we do not understand artificial intelligence and plays upon our very real fears about it.

Over the course of the story, the dialogue deteriorates as the AI is presumably powered down. It’s worth pointing out the very ironic and clever name of ‘>>Execute’, which can mean both to begin and to kill. This once again plays into the human/machine dichotomy and can be interpreted in a number of ways. We can take ‘execute’ to mean a beginning for the AI and a means of death dished out by the human. To turn it on its head, we can view the term ‘execute’ as a way of giving the AI a sense of humanity, since it is ‘killed’ (as opposed to say something more apropos for a program, such as ‘terminated’), whilst the human creator can only view it in terms of ‘executing’, or beginning, a program.

Overall, ‘>>Execute’ is a very intelligent story, which manages to manipulate its audience very effectively and offers a fresh perspective on an age old subject.

>>Revenants
    Scriptorium Competition,
    Summer 2014, second place, by Salah ad Din Yusuf
    Reviewed by Merchant of Venice

Taking second place in this year's Scriptorium competition was a poem by the eerie name of Revenants by Salah ad Din Yusuf. The title is most apt for the content of this poem as the poet explores the anguish and remorse that the protagonist feels after a life time of killing and war.

O waning moon,
    O starless night,
    Hearken my anguish,
    Witness my plight!
    At dawn did I march,
    I've risen the zeal,
    I flung the arrows,
    I brought them to heel.
    - Revenants, stanza one

The first stanza is a dramatic beginning, the first two lines especially seem almost melodramatic. Already we are presented with someone who is quite tormented and who is experiencing some considerable pain at the hands of their ‘anguish’. Furthermore, they seem to be afraid of something, ‘witness my plight’ seems to imply that the protagonist is running from something or someone. The next four lines begin to tell us a little bit more about the protagonist, we now know that he was a warrior of some sort.

In the first stanza, we’re also introduced to the ABAB rhyming scheme that the poet uses throughout the poem. This and the rhythm of the poem as well as the lack of full stops - except for those at the end of each stanza -, give the poem a real flowing feel. The poet seems to want you to read through the poem without stopping, except for at the end of each stanza, where the most high impact words are used to really hammer home the themes the poem is trying to convey.

I stood on the platform,
    And the sun beamed so bright,
    Nodding to the headsman,
    Gleaming fell the scythe.
    - Revenants, second stanza

This stanza seems to imply that our protagonist had quite a say in the killings, ‘nodding to the headsman’ implies he was a powerful man and that people obeyed his word.

The dusk cast it's eyes down,
    Those laid on the stones,
    Their wounds wept with horror,
    Despair cried their bones.
    - Revenants, third stanza

Now we seem to be getting to the gritty descriptions of the aftermath of the protagonist’s conquests and wars. The images invoked by this stanza are remarkably similar to another of the poet’s poems; Scourge. Scourge concerns the brutality of the hordes and the impact they leave on the countryside around them, with strong allusions to Attila (it honestly should have been used in Creative Assembly’s marketing campaign). Two lines in that poem bear the same theme as the third stanza here. Black ember glows/And ashes haze golden’ invoke similar images of destruction and death like this stanza. This seems to not only be a reoccurring theme throughout the poet’s various poems but also appears to be a strong suit of his.

A legion of foes,
    I could bear to face,
    Afore their reflections,
    I yield in disgrace.
    - Reventants, fourth stanza

Here, the protagonists remorse appears again. The poet plays with the idea that such a seemingly physically strong man, who could face legions of foes, is made weak by their reflections and ghosts, so weak in fact that he yields in disgrace.

Wails of the living,
    Weigh on my breast,
    Screams of the dying,
    Disrupt any rest.
    - Revenants, fifth stanza

The poet continues exploring the remorse and guilt which seems to plague the once great warrior. He can no longer rest and his every thoughts seem to be harassed by the ghosts of the fallen.

O shades of carnage,
    O venging ghosts,
    Forgive my poor being,
    For I led the hosts!
    - Reventants, sixth stanza

This is where the title of the play, Revenants, truly comes into play. A revenant is a person or thing who has returned; more specifically returned from the dead. When you first hear this word you may think of a supernatural creature, a zombie or vampire perhaps. But in this poem, the word is used metaphorically: the revenants are his remorse in the form of all the people he has killed. The protagonist’s downfall is complete and he begs forgiveness from the people he once so easily killed. Furthermore, we have a repetition of the term “I”. ‘I stood on the platform’, ‘I yield in disgrace’, ‘I led the hosts’. This repetition is used, I feel, to put emphasis on the narrator’s involvement, over emphasising that it was him that committed all of this atrocities; that despite leading this troops and not personally killing all these people, their deaths were caused by his decisions and that the fault ultimately lies on him not the many soldiers he commanded. We also have a repetition of the term ‘O’, both in the first and last stanza. This draws attention to and emphasises the protagonist’s anguish, for while he admits his guilt he is now haunted by those who he killed. Furthermore, it feels like whenever the poet uses the term ‘O’ that the protagonist is begging for forgiveness and for me, it invokes an image of him lying prostrate on the floor, begging for the revenants to go away or stop haunting him. The once great general is truly at his lowest moment.

While I mentioned the similarities of parts of Scourge with this poem, it is essential to note that while that poem also invokes images of destruction and death, the protagonist and narrator in that poem is proud of the death he has wrought upon city after city. However, in Revenants, the protagonists is ashamed, guilt-ridden and remorseful about the death he has caused. The last stanza of Scourge highlights this contrast between the two poems.

Cities I sack,
    Nations I prey,
    Whole legions I hack,
    Flagellum Dei.
    - Scourge

Here the narrator of Scourge boasts of all the terror he has done, the cities he has sacked and the legions he has destroyed. The last line however, written in Latin is perhaps the most powerful. It translates to ‘Scourge of God’ and the narrator says it not in an ashamed way but with an almost sinister happiness.

These two contrasting ideas about generals and their consciousnesses is also an underlying theme in most narrative driven AARs and creative writing piece which deal with war. Throughout all of these stories, generals and soldiers, whether they be supporting characters or event the protagonist or antagonist, conform to three general feelings about killing. They either take joy in it (a state of mind usually reserved for the antagonist of the story), they see it as their duty and no more, no less or they are guilt-ridden about the people they have killed and turn against the idea of war. In Scourge and Revenants we have the first and last of those archetypes, respectively.

Whether the poet intended the audience to look at both of these poems side by side and notice this, I can not say but I think it would be fascinating if the poet attempted a poem which looked at the other archetype, perhaps about a warrior who does it to defend his homeland despite his disdain for killing.

Either way, that doesn’t by no means detract from what is a most excellent poem by Salah ad Din Yusuf. The imagery it invokes is powerful and so are the themes it deals with. In just over 100 words, the poet has been able to present us with a guilt-ridden protagonist, a feat which would take pages upon pages of character development in a novel or AAR. A podium finish is the least this poem deserves. Congratulations to Salah ad Din Yusuf.

The Fisher King
    Scriptorium Competition,
    Summer 2014, third place, by Squeaks
    Reviewed by Alwyn

The title and opening of a piece of writing not only make an important first impression, they can also set up expectations for readers. Whether to conform to or defy those initial expectations is a decision for each writer. By choosing the title, ‘The Fisher King’, Squeaks might want to remind readers of the legend of the same name which goes back to at least the 12th century. The legend tells of a wounded, impotent king, whose lands, mirroring the king’s condition, have become barren. This legend became interwoven with the tales of King Arthur; the quest for the Holy Grail was in part the search for an object to heal the wounded king and, by doing so, to heal the land. This legend has inspired an opera by Wagner, poetry by TS Eliot, a novel by Ernest Hemingway, a 1991 film about brokenness and a quest for healing – and (perhaps) a prize-winning entry in the Summer 2014 Writing Competition. (Anyone interested in the legend can read more about it here.)

Does this tale follow the expectations set up by its title or will it defy those expectations? We meet “A man, or maybe just something of a man” – a wounded King, perhaps? We explore a strange landscape – is this the wounded land of the legend? The repetition of the colour grey “a grey riverbank, a grey landscape ... grey waters” seems to fit with the Fisher King legend of a barren, infertile land. Like the Fisher King in the legend, the Fisher King in this tale has a touching vulnerability, as has no eyes as such (although he can detect the light of worthy souls) and he relies on others to lead him to the river. Later on, we are introduced to a god, Callow, the Sufferer, who cares for the souls of the dead and brings them peace. In at least some of its themes, this tale seems to conform to the expectations set up by its title: a wounded land, a vulnerable King and the need for healing.

However, this tale does not simply conform to the expectations set up by the legend of the same name. There is no quest for an object to heal a wounded King and a suffering land. This story also uses other mythology such as the Eidolon, which in ancient Greek literature refers to the ghostly image of a person.

More than that, this tale presents its own mythology. The grey river, the Farstream, carries the souls of the dead. This Fisher King is fishing for “the souls of those who had kept faith with a god that was no longer alive, those who had had nothing but unanswered prayers, yet had kept their belief alive”. It appears that this Fisher King is bringing healing to the souls of others rather than receiving healing himself. But, just as the legend of The Fisher King is not the only mythology feeding this story, the Fisher King is not the only person fishing from the river.

The others fishing include gods and their servants. These entities, the grey river and other elements of this story belong to the world of the Dead in the imaginative High Fantasy setting of DragonDawn. The author of this tale is a respected modder and the team leader of DragonDawn Total War mod for Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms. (Any reader who is tempted by this tale to use this setting should know that only the DragonDawn team have permission to do this: link).

This tale focuses on exposition more than action and description not dialogue. This is not a criticism. A piece of writing which aims to provide the lore of a High Fantasy setting does not rely on either action or dialogue to achieve its goal. The story provides an intriguing window into the mysterious lore of the setting of DragonDawn. For me, the description comes across as dark and poetic, mysterious and dreamlike (or, perhaps, akin to nightmare). The grandness and strangeness of the landscape are hinted at indirectly with mentions of “vast winds” or a giant “with a broom the size of a cityscape.” Perhaps we looking at a vast landscape or possibly it seems vast because the onlooker is small (there is a mention of a “child’s mind”)? The description is effective, at times through the absence of details – an absence helps to convey the barrenness of the grey landscape and to emphasise the strangeness of the gods and other entities.

There are one or two phrases which could, perhaps, work better together. There is a reference to “the landscape falling away behind him, to settle like dust on a plain...” – presumably the landscape is the plain, so it seems strange that the landscape would ‘settle like dust’ on the plain.

This story is not afraid to raise questions in the mind of its readers. What are the mysterious “Rules” and do they relate to the fishing of souls from the Farstream? Who is the Child in whose tears the Fisher King was born? What is the significance of the soul which the Fisher King takes from the grey river at the end of the story? The ending, which is both dramatic and effective, could perhaps have had an even greater effect if the reader was told a little more about the significance of this soul. But perhaps this is simply a sign of a well-written tale: the reader is left craving more.

This tale takes the reader to a mysterious place where the souls of the dead travel along a grey river, where gods have consciences and make bargains – and even gods can die. It’s a place where mythology is skilfully woven together and remade. If gods can die and the souls of the dead pass along a river, what happens to the souls of those who followed a god who died? The answer is a Fisher King who is not (as in the old legend) a passive, wounded figure, waiting to be healed. This Fisher King rescues the souls of those who followed gods who are no more and who gives their souls freedom.

For writers, this tale is a highly effective demonstration of the power that mythology can have in a story. As this story shows, writers do not have to obtain all of their mythology from the same culture or time period – or from external sources at all. Good writers can re-tell a legend in a way that moves their readers. Really good writers can re-shape that legend to achieve even greater effects. Exceptional writers can re-shape myths and legends and combine them with mythology from the writer’s own imagination. The powerful weaving of myths and legends in this tale is of exceptional quality, and is fully deserving of a winning place in the Scriptorium Writing Competition.

Life
    Scriptorium Competition,
    Summer 2014, runner up, by Flinn

Flinn’s poem ‘Life’ was the runner up in this summer’s Scriptorium competition. The poem is one that interweaves simplicity and beauty, telling the tale of a river as it flows from the mountains to the seas, yet emphasizing still the importance of this activity.

It opens with the water ‘suddenly’ springing forth from boulders and being of a ‘clear, transparent and diaphanous’ source. Although there’s a definitely a poetic quality to this description, such a description is a little redundant, since these words essentially all carry the same meaning. Although one could say it emphasizes this particular quality of the water, one feels perhaps it’s a little too emphasized. With the reduced space of a poem in contrast to a piece of prose, each word carries much more weight and one must be more economical in selecting the correct words. Perhaps using this opportunity to explore different angles or introduce new devices might have been more useful.

The first stanza ends with the eponymous sentiment of ‘bringing life’, before we leave the rocky setting to wind through ‘mountain trees’, ‘rare bushes’ and ‘stony grass’. However, interestingly this choice of wording – ‘mountain’, ‘rare’, ‘stony’ – actually downplays the greenery of the surroundings, re-emphasizing instead the rocks and boulders of the first stanza. This subtly contradicts the sentiment of ‘life’, as is proven when we’re informed that ‘the lively force of the stream little by little fades’.

This loss of force is well presented in the closing stanzas of the poem, as the poet switches from a four-line stanza to a three-line stanza, structurally emphasizing the waning strength of the water. However, the poet contrasts this with the image of ‘wide-plain’, which adds an element of juxtaposition. This reinforces the following lines, where the water loses its natural qualities as it follows a ‘pre-made course’ affected by ‘human work’. The introduction of humanity is quite negative, as it constricts and constrains the erstwhile free flowing river; no longer can it explore all the options of the wide plain, instead now it loses its force by way of man-made channels and ‘straight lines’.

The final stanza adds an element of pathos, as the river reaches its conclusion and spreads into the ‘friendly sea’. This further emphasizes the trials and tribulations the river went through when it dealt with man-made obstacles; becoming one again with nature is its happy release. However, the usage of the term ‘allowed time’ creates a sense of tragedy, as if the river’s “life” has been wasted.

Since a flowing river is continuous, and water isn’t one fixed object, the usage of ‘time’ might seem a little strange. However, this plays into the overarching metaphor of the river as human life. It is born, experiences its ‘impetuous’ and ‘lively’ childhood, before losing its energy. Then it is forced down a ‘pre-made course’, presumably its obligation to society to find a job and raise a family. Finally, it reaches old age with ‘quiet vigour’ and dies of old age, reaching the heavenly sea.

The metaphor of water as representing human life is not an uncommon one, yet Flinn still manages to produce a nice twist on an old tale. What’s interesting is the poem’s inherent critique of humanity and human society as something that inhibits our natural development. Something else not touched upon is the reincarnation aspect that generally accompanies this metaphor. Although we know once water reaches the sea it continues in a cycle and is “born again”, the poet does not portray this in the poem. His usage of the phrase ‘allowed time’, along with the sea as the ultimate ending, leads the poem to have almost atheistic connotations, which is definitely an interesting twist.

Overall, Flinn creates a simple poem using tried and tested techniques, but also adds his own views and sentiments to the piece; ones that stand in contrast to what we might be accustomed to when reading a similar poem. The pathos it introduces is almost a call for change, or at the very least, a call to re-evaluate the paths we walk down and whether or not they were really chosen by us.

The Presidence of Ambriel
    Scriptorium Competition,
    Summer 2014, Librarian's Choice, by Hitai de Bodemloze

This is somewhat strange, since I’m reviewing my own story. I understand that my entry to this summer’s competition wasn’t perhaps the friendliest in terms of simplicity, which might be why nobody wanted to review it! I cannot objectively critique or review my own story as I would be able any other, so instead I will simply explain it.

Believe it or not, The Presidence of Ambriel is a fanfiction. It’s based on a Playstation game called Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga. The premise of the game is that there are several tribes of techno-cannibals in a junkyard world of perpetual rain, all fighting for ascension to Nirvana. The player plays as a tribe known as the Embryon. Early on in the story, they forge an alliance with another tribe known as the Maribel, yet later betray them.

Knowing that, it’s relatively simple to figure the story out. The tribes are presented as flowers (there actually isn’t even a type of flower known as a ‘maribel’). In the game, the Maribel’s colour is red, although their leader Jinana has green hair; hence the flower’s ‘fringing emerald’ and ‘tantalizing sanguinity’. Owing to the fact the environment of the game world is a junkyard where it always rains, the world in the story is presented as having rains that ‘do not cease’, an earth that is '
    uncoloured umbra shades',‘virgin to a star’s touch’ and of ‘forfeit light and eternal rain’.

The Embryon tribe are referenced as a ‘friend’ and ‘companion’ (owing to their allegiance with the Maribel) and later as an ‘embryo’, which, on reflection, doesn’t make as much sense as it did at the time of writing, but I think I felt I had to make the allusion to the game clearer. The second paragraph references the alliance of the two tribes, whilst the third the Embryon’s betrayal and the fall of the Maribel. The Embryon’s purpose of ‘transcendence’ is a direct reference to their quest for Nirvana, something more explicitly laid out in the following line.

I feel I should comment on the language used, specifically some of my stranger choices. ‘Uncoloured’, appearing in the first paragraph, is ‘incorrectly’ used as a verb, as opposed to the grammatically correct adjective form. I felt justified doing this, since 'umbra' means 'shadow', so 'shades' of umbra would not technically be colours. ‘Necine’ in the second paragraph isn’t actually a word, although ‘internecine’ is, meaning 'mutually destructive'. Of course, in the game, there isn’t a mutual destruction, so I removed the ‘inter-‘. This sounds like it should be correct etymologically, although it’s complicated. According to the dictionary I consulted, although the prefix ‘inter-‘ in Latin can mean ‘mutual’, it was originally intended in this instance to mean ‘all the way’ or ‘to the death’ (‘necine’ being derived from ‘necare’, or ‘to kill’). However, when compiling his dictionary in the 18th century, Samuel Johnson misapplied the prefix, giving it the ‘mutual destruction’ meaning, as opposed to the correct ‘fought to the death’ meaning. A third meaning ‘relating to internal struggle’ appeared at a later point as well. However, since the meaning of ‘mutual destruction’ has passed into common use, I felt comfortable modifying the word in that context, even if it’s not legitimately correct. Finally, ‘janus’ is used as an adjective in the second paragraph, merely being a contraction of the grammatically correct ‘Janus-faced’, or two-faced.

To examine the title quickly, ‘presidence’ is a legitimate word, meaning ‘the act of presiding’, whilst Ambriel is an anagram of ‘Maribel’. Fortunately, Ambriel is also the name of an angel, whilst ‘Angel’ is the name of the antagonist in the game, who 'presides' over the Junkyard and spurs the tribes on to kill each other and ascend to Nirvana. Coincidentally, that tied together rather nicely, if somewhat convolutedly.

I can’t really comment any further on the story. All I can say is that I enjoyed writing it and that I’m very grateful to the generous staff over at the Scriptorium for awarding it with the Librarian’s Choice Award.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Arasoi
    Arasoi by Esaciar
    Reviewed by Merchant of Venice and McScottish

Merchant of Venice:Everyone by now should know how excited I get when I see a Shogun 2 AAR (hint; I get very excited). Arasoi is a new Shogun 2 tale by esaciar and delves into the campaigns and battles of the Mori clan. It follows the daimyo’s son, Mori Takamoto, as he attempts to bring his clan back to the fame and glory it once held. While this template is tried and tested and used in many AARs, I still feel it works fine in Arasoi. As mentioned, it doesn’t follow the daimyo (leader of a clan) but rather his son, which I feel adds an interesting twist to the story and I’m sure will be used by the author to create an interesting father-son relationship.

The story so far has been the usual beginnings of any AAR and has so far followed the protagonist as he fights various battles and begins to conquer slowly more and more land. However, some interesting twists have been thrown in and multiple chapters have ended on cliffhangers. Furthermore, the author has added meaningful events that are not necessarily in-game into the story, to help the character progression. On the topic of characters, that is one slight problem I have with this AAR. I found at times, Takamoto’s character was not bland but not just that exciting or outstanding and I feel this is a part where the author can improve on. Of course, it is still early in the story and as the story progresses, I have little doubt that the author can improve the protagonist’s character as he faces new ordeals and challenges. However, for now, I feel Takamoto is a tad too generic.

But the problem highlighted above can easily be fixed, especially with the writing style the author has employed. Each chapter is set out as a number of diary entries, each detailing a battle or a conversation the protagonist had with someone or a meeting between the generals. Each diary entry is succinct and describes the days events without any sidetracking or dallying around important things. I felt this writing style was the strongest part of the AAR and the author really executed it well. What did you think about it McScottish?

McScottish: I must say, Merchant, that I get just as excited as yourself when I see a good Shogun 2 AAR come onto the scene, and from a relatively unknown writer. This AAR is just that, and its author esaciar has gone from flying a wee but under the radar to now soaring very much above it with this one!

As you have already laid out the premise, I shall step right in with points both positive and ones that I believe could be counted as constructive.

Firstly, I can only agree on the most excellent writing style and select prose used by esaciar. Flowing, descriptive, and often times beautiful, I do not have a word to say against how it is written. Similarly the layout is a pleasure, with everything from the pictures to the choice of font just blending seamlessly with the writing itself. As we all know, Shogun 2 AARtists are well renowned for their fine screenshots and exceptional bordering skills..and rightfully so.

Now with all that being said, lets get to what I still like but just not so much.

Already touched on is the tried and tested template of the tale- the disowned son fleeing/escaping from his disapproving parent (almost always the father in most tales) and beginning a new life away from home. This of course has that unique samurai flare added to it, the protagonist taking service with and fighting for another liege while away from kith and kindred. I would say however that, as already noted, this can probably be readily overlooked. For myself, I would say that just the brief history lesson we get at the beginning of chapter one is enough to make me continue reading, no matter whether I feel a more complex plot or motivation(s) for the character(s) may be needed or not.

A couple more things to say, and then I'll swing it back to you.

One of my favourite parts in particular is the way that the battle was written and portrayed, very gritty and very detailed, just how I like them. I could have, and did, read that part of the chapter numerous times and will probably do so again simply because I think it is possibly one of the best I have read in a very long time.

Finally, I would like to say that at times I find the pacing of the tale a little 'off'. It seems to me that one moment the story is focused on something and then swings dramatically to something else, or to someone else, flicking between here, there and everywhere. Now while this is not usually at random, it nonetheless detracts (I think) from moments that could possibly be elongated for various purposes; maybe more personal moments could be used to fill in transitions from one part ot another, or even just a quick summary of the feelings of Takamoto?

Either way this is one story that I will not give up on, and can only hope will continue for a long time to come.

What say you, Merchant?

Merchant of Venice: I do have to agree with you, McScottish, when it comes to the pacing of the story. At first, I felt it was well paced but I think that when the author started to include scenes not directly from the game (i.e conversations between characters) the pacing became a little off. In my opinion, this could easily be fixed if the author adds some of these sort of scenes. In fact, I would love some more dialogue between Takamoto and his adopted father as well as other key nobles and the like. I think the author just needs some more time to find that perfect balance.

Just like you, I also loved the battle descriptions. They didn't glorify war in any way and they felt real. Furthermore, I loved reading Takamoto’s reaction to battle after it had been completed. I did like reading about whether the protagonist thought the battle was worth it or not and overall, it added a nice layer to Takamoto’s character.

The gritty battle descriptions also helped what I thought was an important theme in this story. Especially towards the beginning of the story, the author has been keen to stress that Japan is country in a state of almost total war. This sense of outright war is helped by the descriptions of how Japan was before Ōnin War- that is a land of peace and wonder. This is shown no better right at the beginning, midway through Chapter 1. Here, one of the diary entries is about a story the protagonist’s father told him when he was young, a story about, strangely enough, the Shogun’s gardens. I do hope the author carries this important message theme throughout the story.

Lastly, I do agree with you that the screenshots and borders were exemplary right from the get go and only aided the author in immersing us readers in the narrative. Yet while the screenshots were lovely and of a really high standard, something seems to have gone amiss with the image hosting site the author is using and you can no longer see any of the screenshots, which is a real shame. This is a technical problem though, and something I’m sure the author will fix up.

Any further remarks, McScottish?

McScottish: I would dearly like to say that I have further remarks, yet sadly it seems that with no certain updates forthcoming I am rather at a loss to not repeat myself, and bore the good readers of this fine publication.

What I can say, without a doubt, is that I do hope we get to see more from esaciar- especially in the arena of Shogun 2 -in the near future!

No future updates from such a writer, someone who has rightfully won competitions here on TWC, and who has (since the beginning of this review) rapidly become better known, would surely be a loss for a section of the site needing such re-invigoration.

Thoughts, Venetian?

Merchant of Venice: Yes his continued absence has scared me as well, especially because of how excited I got when I first read it and then he uploaded chapter after chapter and it just got better. But esaciar's real life job requires quite a lot of time and energy and I don't blame him for not having the energy to write because I definitely do, and I know you probably do as well, how sometimes you just don't have anything left in the tank to write, especially when your steam library or couch is beckoning you.

With that said, hopefully he does come out and continue this story because while we still have Hitai propping up the sub-forum (and sometimes me, though I'm quite unreliable), it really did help re-invigorate Shogun 2 AAR scene.

Well, I think that’s all that can be said about this promising AAR. It truly is a masterpiece in the making and while it seems it might take a bit longer to make than initially expected, I do not doubt the author's ability to continue it on. The writing is of high quality and is accompanied by some well-taken screenshots and it's all enveloped in an interesting plot.

It's a goodbye from me, Merchant of Venice

And it is a jolly goodbye from I, McScottish!

And I hope that this little experiment of ours tickles your tastebuds and if so, tell us and we'll be back next issue with a bigger and better crew.

(What are you saying there's no room in the budget for this? And what is this, McScottish? You don't want to do it anymore? I'm an annoyance and tiresome to work with? Fine, be like that.)

Sorry change of plans. This is the last you will see of this because the CQ has had to take a budget cut and apparently no one will like this segment. Anyway, goodbye and you might see me in your local unemployment office in the near future.

Au revoir (or whatever they say in France),

Merchant of Venice.

Holiday Readings
    Report by Merchant of Venice
    Ahhh Christmas. You have to love it. Free presents, lots of food, free holidays, no school, no work. Sure you have to deal with tinsel and annoying Christmas adds and the annoying extended family who you really don’t want to talk to but hey more presents! Anyway, it’s great for me because I can just rehash the same article as last year and no one will notice. It’s great! *Gets called into editor’s office*

So apparently I can’t rehash the same article because the Critic's Quill is an establishment of integrity and blah, blah blah. I’ll also get fired if I do, though I really don’t see how that changes much considering I don’t get paid. Maybe I should strike about that…….

Now, where was I? Oh yeah, Christmas is a great time of the year. So why not make it better with a couple of AARs and CW pieces from the Writer’s Study. Last year, I focused on informing you of masterpieces, already finished works for your enjoyment. This year though, I’m changing it up a bit, mostly because I have to. Instead of writing about a few finished and unfinished AARs I’m going through the whole Writer’s Study, sub-forum by sub-forum. Consider this like a summary of everything that’s going on. Pick a few of the AARs and CW pieces below or maybe just one or maybe all of them. Because the stuff in the Writer’s Study is the stuff you should be reading during these festive holidays (real books cost money whereas this is all free!)

Let us start in the Shogun 2 sub-forum. Why? Because it’s my favourite sub-forum and this is my article so I get to decide where we start. You want to decide where we start? You can sign up for the Quill, live scared of shadows because your editors are psychopathic wonderful and then wait until next Christmas. Go ahead, I dare you.

Now that we have that out of the way, what is going on in the Shogun 2 sub-forum. Well, I can tell you it is a rather exciting time to be alive/ AAR enthusiast. First off, there’s Hitai de Bodemloze’s Yōkai, part murder mystery, part AAR. This exciting tale is set in a small village in Japan at the onset of the Boshin War (19th century, for those not accustomed to Japanese history or who don’t have Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai). It starts off with two police officers investigating a string of mysterious, almost supernatural type murders. What is causing this purple mist that seems take over the village? And who is this invisible murderer? At the end of Act 1, I can assure you that the plot takes a very unexpected twist and much promise awaits Act 2. A self-styled ‘hard narrative’ by the author, don’t be expecting much campaign insight but once you delve into this beautifully crafted AAR, you won’t want any.

Tigellinus’ In the Light of the Dusk follows the story of Oda Nobunaga, one of the most famous Japanese history figures, akin to that of England’s Richard the Lionheart or Napoleon Bonaparte. Sporting an array of wonderful, truly authentic characters, In the Light of Dusk, follows the well-trodden path of traditional AARs a bit more than Yokai but still has chapters of pure creative writing. This alternative history tale of one of Japan’s most famous figures, some say the unifier of Japan, is a thrilling tale, full of betrayal, blood and battles.

I couldn’t let this article be published without mentioning our old friend Robin de Bodemloze’s The Wings of Destiny. Perhaps sporadic in its updates (though I can’t talk), it is truly a piece of beautiful writing, refined so that the reader loses themselves in the story. Also set in the Boshin War, The Wings of Destiny follows a clan unwilling the submit to the shogunate any longer and follows those who wish to see the Emperor restored to power. I have no doubt this can stand up to its lofty expectations (Robin being the writer of the acclaimed Takeda) and be another example to new and old writers alike. The Shogun 2 sub-forum is also home to Pringles VII’s A Missionary's Perspective: The Diary of Tullio de Sao Joao, a diary-like AAR about a missionary in Sengoku era Japan. This AAR is different from the rest, detailing Japan through the eyes of an outsider. Its fresh, new outtake on the genre of Shogun 2 AARs is a well-needed change from all the talk of daimyos, shoguns and tea. Keep your eye out for Esaciar’s Arasoi, which follows the tales of the Mori clan, through the eyes of the son of Mori daimyo. It too is written in diary format, though the author has been absent for some time but watch out for when he does come back. Also there’s some insignificant AAR about the Chosokabe and someone called Yuki, it’s not that good though.

Moving on to the Rome 2 scene now and while the sub-forum and genre in general took a while to get going, due to perhaps the limitations that Rome 2 put on storytelling, it is now slowly coming of age. Firstly, we have Lugotorix’s The Black-Hearted Lords of Thrace: An Odrysian Kingdom AAR. This AAR tells of the feared warlords of Thrace and their attempts at conquering Greece and the city states of Athens and Sparta and the like. This AAR has placed in multiple MAARC’s and so, reading is guaranteed not to be a waste of time. The author’s other AAR, Pasture of Slaughter; Hannibal at the Gates AAR, follows the Roman family Cornelia during the 2nd Punic War against Carthage. This too is an exciting read and is well worth your time. And then we have Lugotorix’s third AAR, The Bastard Son of Hannibal Barca: A Carthaginian Empire Political AAR. This AAR is particularly interesting as it seems to start mid-game with Carthage controlling much of the Mediterranean. Lugotorix is truly a veteran of the sub-forum and his AARs have done a lot to keep it the forum afloat. It would be amiss not to mention bourboncream's Aut Vincere Aut Mori, a Roman AAR this time following the house of Julia. This AAR is almost a masterclass in using screenshots, the author using them to great effect time after time within the AAR. Bourboncream is also a veteran of the Rome 2 AAR forum, having started an AAR at the early days of Rome 2. It would also be dangerous for me and my job if I didn't mention M_1512’s Forgotten Tales of Germania. While only in its beginning stages, set in the late antiquity (using the Rise of Christianity mod) it is about the unifiers of the Germanic tribes. Let us hope that M can find time from being such a wonderful CQ editor to continue this tale. It has a really mythic feeling around it all and I can’t wait for it to continue.

Now let us jump over to the near forgotten waste of the Napoleon sub-forum. But some life still lingers on. Asdrubal’s Italie, Avril 1796 is an interesting tale of what would happen if the infamous little general died in Corsica, leading rebels and focuses on France’s Italian ambitions. With Napoleon dead, perhaps a new leader will rise? IrishT’s Fall of Paris is a good short story concerning the siege of Paris by English troops. We can only hope the author turns it into a serial AAR.

While the Napoleon sub-forum only has traces of life in it, the Empire forum has gone through a resurgence of types, many new writers taking up the sword or should I say, the musket. We will start with perhaps the biggest and longest running of these AARs; For King and Country by IneptCmdr. For King and Country has placed in multiple MAARCs, winning MAARC XLVII. It is a story about the British Empire and its expansion and conquests. With thrilling battle descriptions and even better screenshots, For King and Country is truly an outstanding AAR not to mention it is the author’s first attempt at one. Another plus for this AAR is its layout, the OP being clean and orderly, with links to chapters, character bio’s and events. A lengthy read at 33 chapters it is well worth it. However, For King and Country has a view other competitors. Alwyn’s Éirí Amach: Irish Rising, is set in an alternate universe where King William III died earlier than he historically did and the Irish, seizing the opportunity of a weaker England, rebel. It follows the rebels as they attempt to defeat a bigger England, who have more manpower and more gold than they could dream of. Éirí Amach also contains some wonderful screenshots and, similar to For King and Country, has a well-ordered OP which also houses some tips and advice for new writers. Alwyn’s other AAR, The Lion and the Eagle, is also a very good AAR concerning Austria and Venice.

Scottish King’s The White Horse (Hanover AAR) is about the Electorate of Hanover and their rise to power. However, it focuses on two young soldiers, recently recruited and their own experiences in war and the losses and pain the two boys suffer. In the Caribbean however, the Swedish begin to carve out their own colonial empire in Rogal Dorn’s The Caribbean War. In far away India, the Danish attempt to establish diplomatic relations with the Mughals but not all goes to plan in A fox in a land of wolves (Denmark AAR) by Venomousmonkey. Flatline115 has recently entered the scene with two different AARs. A Return to Greatness is about France’s, well, France’s return to greatness which of course comes about through conquest and war. The Lion’s Den is about Prussia’s own conquests and wars.

Now on to the Medieval 2 section of the Writer’s Study. And what would the M2TW forum be like if there weren't multiple AARs on the Byzantine/ Eastern Roman Empire/ Basieleos Romans blah? Not the same, that’s what I say. Currently, we have three Byzantine AARs, Roman Heritage’s KRONIKON TON BASILEION, The Restoration of the Comnenoi by Stavros_Kalmpou and Deepstrike101’s Imperial Purple Never Fades. KRONIKON TON BASILEION is set in 1103 follows the attempts by the leaders of the Empire to restore the Roman Empire to its full power and uses the Stainless Steel mod. Restoration of the Comnenoi is set earlier, in 1080 and is also about the restoration of the Roman Empire. Imperial Purple Never Fades, using the Stainless Steel mod and set after the events of the Fourth Crusade paints a bleak picture of the Empire of Nicea’s future and follows the attempts of its emperor to retake Constantinople restore the Empire. This AAR uses court politics to its advantage, weaving a complex web of alliances and betrayals, not just at the time it is set but 10 or so years earlier. Old enmities resurface and with this web of lies, can the emperor keep control of his fragile empire?

But if the intrigues of Constantinople do not interest you, then there are other AARs. Richard of Gloucester’s Crown of Blood, using the Broken Crescent mod, concerns the survival of the Crusader States. With the young lepar king in charge, are its days numbered or will the crusaders defeat the infidels? The author has done a great job at creating a set of interesting characters and it promises to be a fascinating story. Le Brun, or L'Histoire de la Dynastie Brunius by LaRoiBrunuis shifts the setting to France and follows the rise of a family of French nobility. The author uses dialogue to their advantage and the story has a lot of potential. Only mysterious and intriguing can describe A Time for Courage and, above all, Hope by MDCCLXXVI. It starts off right in the thick of action, plunging the reader into a siege battle. But where is this siege? Who is sieging this castle and why? Many questions not yet answered but hopefully will be, for I look forward the continuation of this AAR eagerly.

Now we enter the ancient empire of the Total War Eras forum. For years this has been a hub of AAR activity, of tales of lost Roman legions, of mysterious Germanic tribes, of pagan emperors and ravaging hordes. Yet sadly, at the current moment, this sub-forum is slightly lonely and inactive, with only a few AARs still hanging on. Solid Snake’s The Black Serpent is really the only AAR that has been updated recently. Using the Fourth Age Total War Mod; which is set in Tolkien’s fantasy world after the events of LOTR, The Black Serpent tells the story of the Haradrim, a race of desert warriors and their clashes and wars against the people of Gondor. Boasting some good dialogue and thrilling battle descriptions, The Black Serpent is only just keeping the Eras forum alive.

But if it is old classics, AARs written many moons ago, then you have to come to the right place. McScottish’s Seaxan Dægrēd, though not yet complete, focuses on the Saxon people of Germany and is set in 481 AD. McScottish unleashes his usual wonderful descriptive language and interesting characters to transport you back to the Dark Ages. Perhaps one of the most epic AARs ever created, Knonfoda’s Julian, The Savior of Rome? revolves around Julian, emperor of a declining Roman empire. He strives to bring back paganism and restore Rome’s might. Award-winning and just epic, this AAR spans 130+ episodes (or chapters) and is truly one you must read. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Decimus Milo also deserves a mention, also following the Roman empire in its last days. Quinta Macedonica Legio (also known as The Nowhere Legion) is a masterpiece in AARtistry. So amazing was this AAR that you can even buy it on Amazon and I highly encourage you to, in order to support the author.

At last we arrive at the Creative Writing forum. Here, author’s and writer’s imaginations are let loose and anything from historical fiction to crime to sci-fi can be found. Titanium Core, brought to you by HunterKYA, is an intriguing tale with a wonderfully constructed backstory. Not to mention the amazing characters and fast, comedic dialogue. After only reading it recently, Titanium Core is quickly turning into one of my favourites for the year as I was pulled into this sci-fi world full of mercenaries, aliens and evil human alliances. Furthermore, it features one of the best protagonists I have seen in an AAR/CW piece on the site. I advise you to definitely look it up, lovers of science fiction will surely be hooked on this tale of humanity’s space exploration. The Road to God is Paved with Sins by McScottish is set in the Medieval times and concerns an orphan cared for by the Hospitallers. NCR’s Vengeance and Forgiveness takes place in Feudal Japan and follows a peasant who enlists in the army in order to get his revenge on a rival clan for the death of his father. Senbazuru by our own Hitai de Bodemloze is an air-centred story about a pilot in the year 2105. There aren’t many tales about pilots here on the TWC so this looks unique. The Winter Legacy by Deepstrike101, author of Imperial Purple Never Fades, is set in the Homeward 2 world and looks promising. Let us all pray that these intriguing tales continue for many updates to come.

Well that wraps up my Christmas and Holiday reading list. I hope it has inspired you to catch up on your favourite AARs or CW pieces or to read ones you haven’t already. Remember, a comment saying “Good work” or detailing what the author can improve in their writing can make the difference between an AAR which loses steam after two updates or one which becomes an epic like Takeda or Quinta Macedonia Legio. And while I have done my best to fit in every AAR or CW piece currently or recently active there is no doubt I have missed a few. Don’t be offended or hurt but rather take it as a chance to keep writing until next Christmas and I promise I won’t miss you next time.

Seasons greetings,

Merchant of Venice

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

What does the Future Hold?
    Article by McScottish
    The Total War franchise, started in 2000 with the release of Shogun: Total War, has since spawned eight other stand-alone titles and as many as twelve expansions. To mention every single mod, created by loyal fans paid not a penny for their work, would take much more space than I have allocated to myself for this article.

So, what the Devil is it that I am writing about anyway?

Well...

This article seeks to shed some light on the connection(s) between the various releases from Creative Assembly and SEGA, and on the many, many, writers and AARtists that seek to use them as a medium and outlet for their written works. Exactly how simple or not this is, and how far one can take it in various forms, shall be discussed. As well as the features that exist, and sometimes have been removed, or faded out, that assisted in creating innumerable online pages of text and screenshot, prose and art.

Eventually we shall return to the present day and ask ourselves "what does the future hold?"

So, let us begin.

With the advent of Shogun, this turn-based and micro-managing game which allowed one to conquer all of Japan, all the while leading (or at least controlling) armies in battle; here was a game that included plenty of elements conducive to the imagination, elements which would stimulate those that desired to report their progress and successes- as well as their losses -in any number of formats.

I do not think it is too difficult to say, however, that, at least on TWC (which is where I shall be focusing my attention), the true 'birth' of AARtistry did not come before the arrival of Rome: Total War four years later, and with it many of the great mods that would bring about the concept of 'historical accuracy' we that thrive on dare I say 'role playing' the past have come to know and love.

It was, of course, Shogun and Medieval: Total War (2002) and their expansions which helped bring this about. The success of these games and the features which they bought to the fore even continuing to be used in mods to this very day.

Who can ever doubt the power of the family tree?

Something which CA appeared to have forgotten in the latest installement of the franchise, only to re-introduce it as a 'new feature' for the highly anticipated new release of Attila, but which provides the most basic but perhaps also the strongest aspect for AARtists the forum over; the family tree allows the player to look back over his past glories, or defeats, over generals and members of the ruling elite that have bought great repute to whomever the player deigns fit for command, as well as those that have forever shamed them. Coupled with the power to select ones own faction heir, to shift that power about at will, the family tree is simply an element of the game (especially to those that enjoy the role-playing aspect) that should not have been removed in the first place- even to fit in with Rome II's convoluted political system -but mistakenly was.

Casting ones mind now back to the double success' of Medieval: TW one and two, we find the twin aspects of 'titles' and of unique agents available, these being the merchant and the princess'.

Rather than making use of the diplomatic screen for every decision, especially the mingling of two bloodlines, it was possible to use one of your female family members as either a diplomat or as a bodily bribe for your adversary. It was possible to form a strong bond- a bond of blood -with a former enemy, as well as risking the chance that your human bargaining chip might elope with her new-found lover! All-in-all the princess, for those of an AAR disposition at least, added in a female element and possible viewpoint when writing ones tales; maybe she was married to a Holy Roman Emperor and wielded great power there? Perhaps she ran away with a Byzantine or Scottish nobleman, betraying her people and blood? Maybe her great beauty or eloquent speech brokered a peace between Muslim and Christian in the Holy Land?

Merchants, on the other hand, would also need to travel the map in search of the best resources, able to be taken over by a more skilled opponent in the mercantile crafts. These fellows gave another option, another viewpoint, for an AARtist outside of the usual general or overlord of a nation. A man who was concerned with commerce rather than war, a man who wished to trade for his lord rather than fight, and a man who could join with an army without having to necessarily be part of it.

We lastly (for this part at least) come to the gaining and loss of titles, a mechanic of the Medieval games (along with the ancillary traits of most Total War games in general) could raise any number of strands and threads of story for the astute writer. Why was this man made Chancellor or Steward? Did this general deserve to be made Duke of this province or county? Why was this general stripped of his title, did he commit an act of betrayal or treason, or was he simply too insane to handle ruling an entire province?

It is true that in other games we get other agents: monks, ninja, rakes and gentlemen, and so on and so forth. Each of these can be turned into their own character by a writer if they so wish it, and generals and soldiers need not be the prime order of the day for a chosen viewpoint if the writer thinks differently. All can be used in their respective settings to add to the story, or indeed to be the story, when used correctly as narrative devices.

Now, to widen the net a little, so to speak, what about the ancillary system?

Well, in my opinion at least, up until the present day it has provided innumerable opportunity for a writer in a hundred different shapes and forms. From crazed wives and mistresses, to gruff veteran warriors and elegant gentlemen, on to bearers of shields and skilled commanders of any military branch, the ancillary system has more-or-less added to the game and the options available to writers because of it. This is one area that I shall not cover in any detail, due to both length of article and the fact that it could, and may well, cover an entire article all of its own in the future.

This has been admittedly a rather brief article, brushing over elements with some rapidity, but I think it is now time that we come to the present...please remember that this is all pre-Attila, and that any opinion I give is not necessarily held by the Critic's Quill or even anyone else.

Now we come to Rome II, a game that after the frankly near-perfect game that was Shogun II truly let down the community- I shall ignore the release, which has been slated enough, and concentrate solely on the game itself.

In the case of AAR writing, Rome II could possibly not have been worse. There is the detraction of the family tree, an ancillary system and trait upgrading system that really only makes sense if you concentrate on stats and numbers, rather than character and enjoyment, and a distinct lack of moving event videos and decent unit cards.

I shall put it another way; do you ever find yourself checking numbers and unit stats more than anything else? Do you ever spam ballistae simply because artillery can mow down your opponents? How many times, playing as Roma, have you ever attempted to create a historically accurate legion to fight under one of your many rather beige generals?

To me this seems to be the way of it- and please note that I have not played Emperor Edition, as of yet -whereas in any other Total War title, even playing the vanilla game, without mods and without an aim to writing anything, there was no great pressure on checking that the numbers added up or that you had enough stacks of identical armies to level a small country, only checking to city order and taxes...and to read the unit descriptions, or was that just me?

You can create AARs out of Rome II, as can be seen by AARtists such as Lugotorix and Chirurgeon et al, but do they stand up to some of the most well known AARs of other titles in the franchise? Is it even possible for them to, seeing what Rome II is and what is missing from its ultra-streamlined mechanics?

Well, that's for all to gauge and not some opinionated forum member like myself.

What does the future hold for AAR writing where the forthcoming titles are concerned?

In short , my own answer would be 'mods'; simply let go of the vanilla game and find a mod(s) out there that suit you, there are so many to choose from that there should be no problem.

My longer conclusion would be that it is up to the game developers themselves, for if they wish to streamline the game further then there is nothing to be done by the fans regarding the base mechanics. Even with the reintroduction of the family tree, will it truly be worth creating an entire story around? Thus far Atilla certainly has my curiousity, but is far from having my attention. As likely as this is to change I, and all those awaiting this title, can only wait and see.

One final thing, to all those that wish to write AARs (or otherwise), no matter what the game or what ideas you may have floating around in your heads, just write.

You have been reading,

McScottish

Picture Books: contesting the story/screenshot dichotomy
    Article by Hitai de Bodemloze
    In Issue 39, Maximinus Thrax penned an article entitled ‘A parallel between story-based AARs and screenshot-based AARs’. As one might imagine, it contrasted two separate types of after action report: the story-based AAR and the screenshot-based AAR. He delineates between the two in the following way:

The first category is the story-driven AAR which employs a wide range of narrative techniques, beside gameplay elements. Because of that, the screenshots play an accessory role in this case.

The second category consists of works which rely heavily on the visual aspects of the campaign, meaning that the authors would almost always emphasize the game itself rather than the possible creative aspects stemming from their gaming sessions. The most important part of such AARs are, of course, the in-game screenshots, everything else tending to have a subordinate function.
    - Maximinus Thrax, ‘A parallel between story-based AARs and screenshot-based AARs’, Critic’s Quill, Issue 39, Oct. 2013, page 1, post 2.

Following on from my previous discussion on narrative trends in the Shogun 2 scene, Maximinus’ distinction struck me as particularly odd in hindsight. In my own theory, using Shogun 2 after action reports as a case study, I focussed solely on differentiating after action reports solely based on their narrative technique – namely ‘traditional’, ‘history book’, ‘soft narrative’ and ‘hard narrative’.1 To quickly reiterate, traditional after action reports focus solely on presenting gameplay, with no story or narrative immersion whatsoever; history book after action reports present gameplay with an overarching and immersive narrative, but no character-driven story; soft narrative after action reports use a character-drive story to retell in-game events, whilst finally hard narrative after action reports tell a story with no attachment to any gameplay.

Reconciling these two theories is thus a little tricky, since whilst Maximinus’ theory covers what I’ve dubbed traditional and narrative after action reports, it leaves little scope for history book works. Whilst it could fall under one of the narrative techniques Maximinus outlines in his story-driven after action reports, such a definition conflicts with my own – in that I hold a separate definition for ‘story’ in this context, which does not include such works. That is not to say they are not stories (in terms of them being creative works of fiction), but in a narrower context such as AARtistry, there is a clear divide between this faux-historical style and character driven pieces.

However, what I would contest is that the distinction between story and screenshot after action reports is a false one. I believe this for three reasons:

1. That gameplay-focussed, or traditional, after action reports do not always necessarily require screenshots
    2. That in story driven after action reports, screenshots are not always entirely subservient to the story
    3. That there exist screenshot-driven after action reports which have no intention of showcasing gameplay or strategy

With the first point, we can often find gameplay-driven after action reports that do not feature screenshots. For example, we can see this in works such as Shugo564’s Shogun 2 Satsuma AAR, Jack Lusted’s Empire Swedish Campaign AAR and meloncolony’s Medieval 2 after action report The Kingdom of Hungary, to name but a few. Whilst the latter teeters between what I define as traditional and history book, the former two are both completely gameplay-driven, with no attempt to tell a story or convince the reader that they are reading anything other than a report on the campaign from the author’s own mouth. None of these after action reports utilize screenshots, instead being entirely text driven. As such, they are neither story-driven nor screenshot-driven, which calls into question such a dichotomy in defining after action reports.

Points two and three meanwhile are somewhat interlinked, as they are not entirely mutually exclusive. Whilst there is a difference between an after action report driven by story and an after action report driven by screenshots, sometimes it can be difficult to recognize one from the other. This occurs when the line between what drives the after action report – story or screenshot – becomes blurred. This I feel is perhaps the greatest refute of a story/screenshot dichotomy.

The two after action reports that I’ve selected to emphasize these points are LuckyLewis’ The Hunter of Blunders and Dance’s Judicator of Elysium – both coincidentally Skyrim after action reports.2 Whilst one might point out that the intention of these pieces is to highlight the graphics of the game – and thus its gameplay -, I’d argue that this is a particularly shallow view, unsupported by a close reading of both the works and the comments of the authors themselves, as we shall see.

In the case of The Hunter of Blunders, the narrative is incredibly sparse and takes a back seat to the screenshots, which are both plentiful and obviously painstakingly refined. This reduces the narrative to an almost caption-esque function. Yet, it contains such a story nevertheless and images are cropped and edited to remove any sign of a user-interface. Thus we can see that the intention of the author was to create an immersive story, primarily through screenshots. This stands at odds to Maximinus’ definition of screenshot-riven after action reports.

However, Judicator of Elysium takes this one step further. Whilst we might view The Hunter of Blunders as – by the above criteria – a story-driven after action report with an imbalance between story and screenshots, Judicator of Elysium is the opposite. As the author himself expresses:

This is my attempt at a picturesque AAR. As a writer, I tend to focus primarily on written pieces with usually no images, instead trying to create the picture perfect image through descriptive writing, however, this, is a fun piece for me to write, as much of the story shall be told through in-game visuals!

It will still focus on writing, obviously, however, each chapter you can expect to see at least 15 in-game images!
    - Dance, Judicator of Elysium, p.1.2.

Here we have a clear declaration that this after action report will be an almost-entirely screenshot driven project and once more we see that this is not done to emphasize any aspect of gameplay or strategy. Story and narrative are still championed, creating an immersive experience for the reader.

As we can see, the distinction between story and screenshot after action reports is one that does not hold entirely true. After action reports that emphasize gameplay are not always screenshot heavy, whilst after action reports that emphasize screenshots can both still exist with a story as well as not also emphasizing gameplay. Furthermore, these after action reports are all able to be covered by the traditional, history book and narrative styles I’ve outlined. For example, The Hunter of Blunders is a soft narrative story, since, as the author points out, it follows the exploits of a character of his in-game.

Whilst I believe Maximinus was right to point to a correlation between screenshots and gameplay/traditional after action reports, as well as to highlight the subservience of screenshots to narrative in story-driven pieces, I don’t believe screenshots are an effective way to differentiate between styles. Although at times such an assertion might hold true, it cannot make allowances for gameplay-driven after action reports without screenshots, or for screenshot-driven after action reports without an emphasis on gameplay. Also, we must further take in to account the recent decline of gameplay-driven after action reports and reconcile this with a theory that places them in such a dichotomy. As such, I’d propose that it is better to analyse the use of screenshots in after action reports within the boundaries of the traditional, history book and narrative styles I have outlined.

1 The terms ‘traditional’ and ‘history book’ are given as colloquial terms; the second of which in particular being widely recognised and understood.
    2 There is of course also evidence for this in Total War after action reports, see for example Big Pacha’s Empire: Total War ‘Illustrated AAR’ The Road To Hyderabad.

Negotiating the Fourth Wall: towards a new narrative
    As I've discussed elsewhere, I feel it pertinent to categorize after action reports in four ways: the traditional style; history book, or faux-history style; soft narrative and hard narrative. As I theorize on this, certain problems arise and by no means am I saying my definitions are entirely suitable at this juncture or will hold to be forever true. Thus it's important to continue to adapt and assess how we define after action reports.

Negotiating the fourth wall in particular is an issue that complicates the soft narrative style in particular. In the traditional style we expect the fourth wall to be broken and the author to interact directly with their audience; this is a large factor in categorizing the traditional style in contrast to other definitions, where immersion and storytelling is championed. However, as I learn more about after action reports and video game fiction 'abroad' (on other websites and in other literary spheres), I've since learned of a new approach. Although such a style is unknown to, or at least unpopular at Total War Center, a blend of the traditional and the soft narrative is a style that is immensely popular elsewhere.

What does this mean? Essentially, it involves a standard soft narrative story, where game play is told through a story, yet involves a sense of 'self-awareness' on part of the characters; they know they are video game characters. Perhaps the closest parallel we have to this is some of the early soft narrative stories. In such stories, a first person narrative is employed, usually for the overall faction leader in the game. This differs from the traditional style in that the fourth wall remains unbroken and the author is not directly communicating with the audience as the author. However, it's only a small step away from the traditional style, in contrast to later soft narrative stories, which weave more intricate plots and employ other characters, as opposed to simply retelling gameplay events on a turn-by-turn basis. Although different to what I'm discussing, without excessive characterisation, a similarity between the persona of the author and the persona of the narrator can become apparent,which although does not break the fourth wall, takes a significant step in that direction.

However, the key to this amalgamation of traditional and soft narrative is the exploitation of the fourth wall, to use the video-game trope to enhance the story. If a character knows he is not real and is only a bundle of pixels, will he not act differently? Can this not open up new storytelling avenues? The psychological opportunities alone are astounding. To return to our closest cousin here on Total War Center,what would happen if you cast yourself as a character in your own after action report? As many of you might find surprising, this is an incredibly popular technique elsewhere on the web. Furthermore, it allows the author to give a more powerful and direct commentary, should he so wish, upon video games and video game culture in general– or even on historical or contemporary issues, depending on circumstance.

So although now one of the ways I differentiate between the traditional style and other styles is to examine its level of immersion and the extents to which it breaks the fourth wall, these definitions could become complicated over time. Before I end, let me elaborate in regards to other styles.

How would we reconcile this negotiation of the fourth wall with the faux-history and hard narrative styles? It's possible of course, but more complicated than with the soft narrative style I feel. With the faux-history style, characterization and storytelling is limited,which raises an issue – as it becomes more difficult to exploit the fourth wall. It would still be possible, to have characters in this style convey this 'self-awareness', but I feel the effects would be diminished in comparison to a more story-driven piece. With hard narrative my thoughts are similar. Since hard narrative stories do not borrow directly from gameplay, it becomes difficult to break this kind of fourth wall, since the characters actually aren't video game characters in this instance. However, the hard narrative style is something incredibly new and evolving, so I'll refrain from speculating too much at this juncture.

So that effectively leaves the soft narrative style as the best opportunity to experiment with this sub-genre of fourth-wall breaking story. Is it a style that will gain popularity here on Total War Center? I fear the current trends towards increased immersion and storytelling will prevail for the time being, but – given the style's popularity elsewhere – it could well become a possibility one day.

A History of Categorization
    Although I have somewhat declared my position on differentiating after action reports by way of screenshot usage (inasmuch that I don't believe one should), after reading through our back catalogue's some more, I'm actually quite surprised to find out just how prevailing the view of a prose vs. screenshot dichotomy is to the theory of AARtistry. I'd thus like to trace the history of the view and speculate upon why I feel it has changed over time - rather that attempting to just debunk it.

In the very first issue of this publication, Junius (or Fergusmck as he was then known) presented the first published theory of how to differentiate between after action reports in his review of Vonkrysiak's Downfall of the Empire:

I like to separate AARs into two main categories; story driven AARs and those that simply report a faction's conquests.
    - Junius, Downfall of the Empire review, Critic's Quill, Issue 1, page 1, post 1

To reconcile this quickly with my more modern views, we can see he's discussing narrative and traditional/faux-history style after actions reports respectively. Hard narrative of course had not developed at that time, whilst Junius does not distinguish between traditional and faux-history styles. This could be perhaps for three reasons. Firstly, he might not consider there to be a fundamental difference between the two. Secondly, he maybe viewed a faux-history style as a story. Thirdly, perhaps the faux-history style had not gained enough popularity at that time.

What is immediately interesting to me is that this very first categorisation of after action reports aligns near enough perfectly which my own, barring the two issues above. How then did a screenshot-based view gain prominence?

After delineating thus, Junius tells us that Downfall of the Empire subscribes "to the 'pictures are wroth (sic) 1,000 words' mentality of AAR writing." As such, we can see that in 2009 there was some measure of opinion regarding screenshots in after action reports; there were authors and/or after action reports that used a notable amount of images, with the implication that they did so to the detriment of prose or accompanying words. However, interestingly, the implication is that Junius considers this distinction subservient to his 'report/story' dichotomy, similarly to my own views five years on.

In the next issue, Junius quite radically criticised an after action report named Cold Winter's People for it's overuse of screenshots and lack of story. Setting aside what I might feel about Junius' progressiveness, this is also quite interesting, as this might show us a critical point in the history of after action reports. As Junius mentions in his review, after action reports on Total War Center had, by 2009, evolved past the original traditional style and soft narrative had begun to dominate the writing scene. If he use this review as a case study, might we also say similar traditional after action reports to Cold Winter's People were likewise unpopular? Perhaps it is here were the faux-history style began in earnest, as author's with an inclination towards the traditional style were forced to adapt. Something worth exploring at a later date maybe.

This is something reinforced by Juvenal's comments in his review of The Pontic Expedition in the same issue:

In the beginning it was enough for an author to simply chronicle his campaign and we hungry readers would snap it up, wondering at the pictures of a mod or faction we hadn't played yet, admiring descriptions of square-jawed warriors overcoming all opposition, and imagining ourselves in the driving seat sweeping all before us. But those innocent days are largely gone. Now an AAR needs something extra, some aspect of the campaign we haven't seen yet, maybe a comedy, or a story tangential to the humdrum events of the actual gameplay.
    - Juvenal, The Pontic Expedition review, Critic's Quill, Issue 2, 1.1

This again highlights the decline of the traditional after action report and the rise of the soft narrative, laid out perfectly in Juvenal's closing statement.

What does this say about categorisation in regards to screenshots then? Perhaps not much at first glance. It does however enlighten us to the context of the times - what styles were prevalent and why. Narrative stories were increasingly in popularity at the expense of traditional styles. Could we perhaps hypothesize that those in favour of traditional styles also adapted to this environment in another way beside spawning the faux-history style? Perhaps instead, writers began to improve the quality of their screenshots within the traditional style, in order to mark their story out as superior.

What we should of course bear in mind however, is that already there was a strong correlation between a traditional, report-style after action report and an after action report with a large amount of images - which, as we have seen elsewhere, definitely did go on to inspire later theories in regards to after action report categorisation.

However, whilst I might thus far feel comfortable with how my forebears here at the Quill had been categorising after action reports, things begin to complicate in Issue 3. In reviewing The Ishtar Gate to Alexandria, SonofAlexander introduces the first screenshot dichotomy, stating: "It certainly bends more towards the picture-oriented end of the spectrum." I do not know if he is placing this spectrum within a similar construct to Junius' categorization, or introducing his own categorization based on screenshots alone. In the same issue, Juvenal goes on to further discuss an image vs. prose dichotomy in his review of The Legacy of Megas Alexandros. However, it does not seem as if either are strictly championing such a view.

Things rapidly change in Issue 6, with the arrival of Nazgûl Killer to the Quill team. In his first review, he immediately throws a spanner in the works when he discusses Commander5xl's Rise of the Nile:

The main issue I have with this AAR is the fact that it cannot decide whether its a comedy, an AAR or a story, if it is a comedy, a line or two trying to throw some humor into the game just isn't enough, if it is a story, the narrations or personal stories in it are just too short and too sticked to the game, doesn't give you the feel as if the writer is trying to create a story behind the game, if it is truly an after action report (AAR), and only wants to report what's going on, it succeeded.
    - Nazgûl Killer, The Rise of the Nile review, Critic's Quill, Issue 6, 1.1

Although he is not yet discussing screenshots, we do, for the first time since Issue 1, seem to find a new method of categorisation. It is however a strange one, split between the story, the comedy and the AAR. At present, I see no difference between the three, but 2009 was a different era of literary criticism. From reading other issues of the Quill, it's quite clear than comedy AARs were enjoying their heyday at this time (perhaps testament to the significant impetus for innovation mentioned above), so I can understand why Nazgûl might make such a distinction. Story might reflect the increased trends towards narrative AARs already mentioned, whilst his definition of AAR is what we might call today the traditional or original after action report style. However, what this does do is raise the question of whether or not soft narrative stories are still after action reports, which is an interesting one, given just how far this style has evolved over recent years.

However, on closer inspection, is Nazgûl's theory really all that different to Junius' or my own? There is still a distinction between what I call the traditional and the narrative. Although he singles out the popular comedy genre as something different, Nazgûl himself does not actually seem to be pioneering much new. His terminology is different to what we might use today and the only real unique aspect of his view is that he doesn't class narrative after action reports as after action reports - instead they are stories.

Another interesting point Nazgûl raises is how closely the story is tied to the game. In his opinion, if the story only relates the gameplay, without adding any real depth to the world, it's insufficient to be deemed a 'story'. This stands quite at odds with my own views, as I feel any attempt to construct a narrative with atleast a modicum of immersion is enough to separate an after action report between traditional and other styles.

However, we are not of course discussing screenshots. In Issue 8 Nazgûl does expand upon his theory to discuss screenshots. I felt it pertinent first to understand his earlier published views on after action reports.

In his article entitle The AAR Criteria, Nazgûl presents us with his views on after action reports. I was very tempted to copy across the entire piece. I have, however, resisted (for the most part...):

Most AARs today have a very strong illness, either too little text and too many pictures or too little pictures and too much text, both of these illnesses have unwanted results; The readers who much prefer 'action' in their AAR, more fighting and less talking, would skip the AARs without pictures and the others, who prefer plot over 'action', would much rather read the ones with more text. This forces most AAR readers and writers to find a very delicate balance between the two and with that offer little diversity at times.

For me, the basic guidelines of an AAR should be proper grammar, a proper plot and some action, meaning that I would much rather to read an interesting plot than blankly stare at pictures of the game, instead of simply right clicking on its icon and playing it myself.

The pros of an AAR with a plot is that it allows your imagination to flow and yourself to 'lie' a bit, as my good friend once said in response to one of my oldest AARs. What I mean by this is that you can, instead of sticking directly to gaming events, simply start inventing conversations between your characters, allow your imagination to take over battles as you inflate the deeds of your soldiers in combat just a tad bit, instead of simply sticking to the facts and... Basically, reporting after your action.

The definition of the AAR is actually an "After Action Report", meaning you simply tell the story of what you have done, meaning that the AARs with more pictures and less text usually live up to this standard, yet, those with less pictures and more text would much better be counted as stories and tales instead of AARs, and there is nothing wrong with either of those.

However, instead of picking one of these, most players would much rather find the delicate balance between the two, and often (Sadly), fail, causing in lack of interest from both sides of the readers, both those who much rather a plot and those who much rather action, thus creating dead AARs by the dozens.

I urge all AAR readers out there to not judge an AAR just by briefly looking at it, read it, look at the pictures, at least read two updates before deciding your opinion, as I myself were surprised by an or two before which had very little text and an immense amount of pictures, however, was one of the funniest AARs I have ever read, or, no pictures and all text, which turned out to be one of the best stories I have ever read. This is why I urge you, do not judge a book by its cover.
    - Nazgûl Killer, 'The AAR Criteria', Critic's Quill, Issue 8, 1.1

We immediately return to this text vs. image dichotomy. Nazgûl quite neatly places his theory from Issue 6 into this new context, with his 'stories' vs 'after action reports', but introduces screenshots and imagery initially as a modifier to these - all well and good, if we contrast it to the theories of Junius and myself. However, for the first time, screenshots are given paramount importance. Although they are introduced in the context of text-based categories, they quickly come to dictate said categories - in particularly the traditional after action report. A traditional after action report thus needed a vast amount of images to be successful.

In the following issue, when interviewed, Giovi provides us with an interesting insight into the perception of screenshots: "A lot of people think that pictures in an AAR are secondary but I don't agree with them: I believe that 1 picture counts like 1000 words." Although hearkening back to an earlier comment by Junius, Giovi's comment nonetheless provides us with some more context as to the times. If what he said is true, then popular opinion was still against a view that championed screenshots as the primary way of defining an after action report.

It is however, in Issue 10 where we first encounter mention of a 'screenshot AAR', in Nazgûl's review of Big Pacha's Hurons on the Warpath. Although this AAR fits Nazgûl's earlier criteria for an 'after action report', he chooses instead to categorize it as a screenshot AAR. This is the first instance of a true categorization based upon usage of imagery as opposed to narrative style. It's also an interesting one, as it flies in the face of Nazgûl's own earlier theories. However, as was noted, screenshots had been assigned greater importance in his theory as opposed to other critic's such as Junius or Juvenal. As such, it makes sense that imagery came to supersede style in his theory of categorization.

Although Junius discusses screenshots in depth in Issue 10, he doesn't assign them any similar importance in terms of categorization. Kallum also makes some peculiar statements in Issue 11 regarding categorization, asserting that "we can all safely agree on the fact that the main AAR branches are: the interactive AAR, the role-play AAR, the comedy AAR and then last but not least the diary styled AAR." Not wanting to dwell on this rather unorthodox view (I don't believe this was too widely accepted, as no other critic has defined after action reports along these lines), I will briefly remind you that comedy after action reports were incredibly popular at that time, whilst interactive after action reports have always existed on the fringe of AARtistry as their own...thing. By role-play I assume he means narrative or story-driven after action reports (I could be wrong), whilst he defines 'diary' after action reports as stories where "we closely follow the campaign as it is played without the addition of plots and deep characters." I do of course accept comedy and diary as styles or genres within other categories (such as soft-narrative), but I'm not sure if our definitions are shared in this instance. He then goes on to outline what he calls a 'Timurid AAR', which has much in common with challenge-based after action reports such as StealthEvo's Challenge Accepted! This 'genre', which was once thought to redefine Medieval 2 AARtisry forever, has obviously not stood the test of time. Just an interesting piece of history really.

What's interesting at this juncture is the perceptions of screenshots and the prevalent styles of the time. A key theme running through the early Quill issues is one of balance between text and image; not wanting to have too much of either. This is quite strange when we learn about the decline of the traditional after action report and the rise of narrative styles. Not because it's unsound advice, but because the type of after action report usually associated with large amounts of imagery was dying out. There is also an incredible amount of bias towards soft narrative stories and traditional after action reports are continually attacked and derided by the team, who make no secret that they prefer story-driven pieces. As such, as we can see when Nazgûl called Hurons on the Warpath a 'screenshot AAR', it's almost used in a derogatory fashion. This is something important we must consider when assessing the evolution of categorisation; could the categorization of after action reports by way of screenshot have initially been constructed with these inherent negative connotations? That screenshot after action reports are flawed and forever worse than their story-driven counterparts?

The departure of both Nazgûl and Junius by Issue 16 left the Quill without the two major theorists in regards to categorization, although the text vs image 'problem' was one that continued to crop up. Also, it's worth noting as well that by early 2010, soft-narrative after action reports had finally risen to prime prominence, as referenced in articles such as Issue 15's 'Writing the Game' by Ariovistus Maximus. Comedy after action reports still existed as a popular medium, but - from my observations - traditional after action reports were already having the nails hammered into their caskets (although it took until 2012 for them to finally fade into history, with the departure of, in my opinion, Total War Center's last great traditional AARtist Decimus Milo).

To return to our discussion, screenshot after action reports continued, perhaps unsurprisingly, to come under much criticism from the Quill. Terms like 'picture book' came to mean insults, such as in Saint Nicholas' review of Danish Domination in Issue 16 (something that continued way into 2010). Even in reviews of non-screenshot based after action reports, critics would still often go to lengths to criticise them, showing just how important an issue this was to them.

Ariovistus Maximus' review of The Maharatha Confederacy that issue is also interesting, for it first uses the term 'history-book' style as a category (although history-book style AARs had been featured in the Quill before). However, what this suggests is that this style had also begun to gain popularity, most probably at the expense of the traditional AAR, given what we know.

Nanny de Bodemloze was the next person to properly tackle screenshots and imagery in depth. In Issue 19, he penned his article 'Still Pictures In AAR Writing: A Current State Of Affairs', which began thusly:

Any avid reader of AARs here at TWC has long ago noticed the increasing popularity of using still pictures and other media to augment their AARs. Purists may shudder at the notion of non-written input being used extensively, seeing (perhaps in cases justifiably) these techniques as a crutch to compensate for a lack of literary abilities.
    - Nanny de Bodemloze, 'Still Pictures In AAR Writing: A Current State Of Affairs', Critic's Quill, Issue 19, 1.1

Contesting this prevalent view, Nanny attempts to paint a more positive picture of pictures. However, even as he relies on people like Skantarios and LuckyLewis for supporting in this, both later go on to admit that they feel they overuse screenshots and that "less is more." This shows that there was still a prevalent view that consigned screenshot-heavy after action reports as inferior - perhaps brought upon by earlier critics, perhaps just popular opinion. I doubt the Quill could ever have been the sole catalyst for the development of soft-narrative after action reports, however I think it's clear that it had a big part in fanning the flames of the traditional style's funeral pyre.

As we can see, after Nazgûl originally propositioned categorisation by screenshots, subsequent critics began to espouse similar views, as 'picture book' after action reports came to be continually derided. This categorisation does hold negative connotations, which is interesting in this history of literary theory.

Issue 22 saw the next real development in terms of theorizing categorization, as Skantarios attempted to negotiate Conquered, We Conquer, an after action report that teeters between the soft narrative and the traditional. After coming up with various names such as a 'conquer the world',' game-centric' or 'playthrough' style, he would later settle on 'player's after action report' in later issues. This is interesting for two reasons; firstly because Conquered, We Conquer still attempts a very sparse story and isn't the direct writing of the author's persona; and secondly because the 'picture book' or 'screenshot after action report' moniker was not used.

In a fantastic coincidence, Juvenal also reviewed a traditional style after action report that issue: n00bicus' Achtung - Peasant! Contrary to Quill trends over that past year, this after action report received an incredibly gracious review; not attacked for its style or 'copious' use of screenshots. However, Juvenal doesn't categorize it as anything other than 'not a role-playing AAR', although contextualizes it in comparison to the 'High Art' of more serious pieces.

Issue 22 is thus very historically significant, since it marks the end of a stigma long attached to traditional after action reports. Skatarios attempts to redefine what this style means, whilst Juvenal defends it where once it would have been ridiculed. Most importantly however, the use of screenshots is no longer something used to categorize these after action reports.

January 2011 differed somewhat slightly, as the aforementioned Challenge Accepted! came to be reviewed by Calisthenis of Dyrrachium. Here, Calisthenis does use the category 'caption-then-picture style AAR' in contrast to a 'story AAR', but is nonetheless very positive towards the story regardless - something that would have been unheard of before Issue 22.

From this point onwards, we have two parallel categories for what we might call today traditional after action reports. On one hand, Skantarios' new 'player's after action report' and the resurgent 'screenshot after action report', albeit minus the negative stigma.

In Issue 24, la coupe est pleine first popularized the category of 'textual after action report' in contrast to a 'screenshot after action report'. Although it's a term that suffers from a categorizational perspective, it does demonstrate the rise in usage of 'screenshot after action report' as a term, otherwise there would be no use for a diametrically opposed term. Calisthenis returned again with the ageing 'story after action report'/'report after action report' dichotomy, alongside the cumbersome 'story-like report style' in an attempt to blend the two. This demonstrates the two conflicting schools of thought, although Calisthenis seems to have switched camps in the interim.

That's not of course to say that critics applied these terms in a mutually exclusive fashion. Skantarios applied the categories story-driven and text-driven simultaneously, which calls into question which is subservient to the other. As 2011 wore on, la coupe est pleine continued to go against the curve, inventing sub-categories such as the 'soap opera after action report', whilst Radzeer began to champion the category 'plot-heavy after action report' to replace the previously popular story/story-driven category, which has now evolved into soft/hard narrative by my definition.

Skantarios and Beer Money both complicated matters in Issue 25, during an interview of the former:

Beer Money: In my opinion, what was considered strong work just 18 months ago, is just "good" at this point. A well cropped pic used to bring praise but if you aren’t bringing the effects now it’s almost passé. The days of an "and then I did this" AAR seem to be long gone. Do you agree? Are there other changes in AARs have you noticed along the way?

Skantarios: I would certainly agree. I think there is still a place for the straight-forward, blow-by-blow type AAR but the genre has moved on some. I think this is a good thing as we are building on the work that came before us and that pushes us to break new ground. That was certainly on my mind when I was trying to figure out how to do the Civil War in Legacy. Also, there are a lot more guides on how to do things in AARs (e.g. cropping pictures, use of spoilers, etc) than there have ever been before. So, those who are interested have more resources to draw from than those 18 months ago. I hope that I have in my own way pushed the genre forward a notch or two so that others can move even farther still.
    - 'Interview with Skantarios', Critic's Quill, Issue 25, 1.2

This again provides some interesting context to our discussion. The traditional or 'and then I did this AAR' had effectively died by Spring in 2011 (although was still championed by some, as has been mentioned). What's interesting again is the focus on the prose, as opposed to the imagery, which shows a general shift away from the 'screenshot after action report' category, owed to both the decline of the style and the rise of more narrative pieces.

By mid 2011, although Skantarios had been attempting (at times) to categorize along prosaic lines, terms such as 'graphics-based after action report' were still in use, whilst in contrast to this, Radzeer's category of 'plot-driven after action report' continued to go from strength to strength, reinforcing the story/screenshot dichotomy (although 'story-driven/story-heavy after action report' remained perhaps most popular).

As an interesting aside, it is in this period where we first began to see the tentative rise of hard narrative-esque stories, such as SeniorBatavianHorse's The Nowhere Legion. Interestingly enough, they were not afforded any new or unque category. Also, it should be noted that comedy after action reports had long since ceased to be popular by 2011, although the sub-category continued to exist and be applied wherever necessary.

Thing's remained somewhat static as 2011 drew to a close, although Issue 28 saw Skantarios once again attempt to champion the 'player's after action report' vs. 'writer's after action report' dichotomy, in contrast to the story v.s screenshot school. An interactive vs standard dichotomy arose in Issue 31, but, as has been mentioned, interactive after action reports are unique unto themselves and are not the topic of discussion here, lest we complicate things too much.

It was not until January 2012 that Radzeer would elaborate some more upon his own theory of categorization, stating in a review of Robin de Bodemloze's Takeda: "AARs tend to be either campaign-focused with little plot besides some roleplay or plot-focused with sparse references to the campaign." This moves Radzeer away from the story vs screenshot school of thought and into stranger waters. Such a categorization is odd, seeing as the hard narrative style we know today had yet to fully take off. Knowing this, it's difficult to immediately understand what Radzeer means by plot-focused to the detriment of the campaign. Presumably he's discussing soft narrative, 'story-driven' pieces, in contrast to the traditional 'gameplay-driven' style. Either way, it's perhaps one of the most strangest categorizations to come across, since the terminology is far more reminiscent of how we'd discuss modern hard narrative pieces, since soft narrative authors have not usually found reconciling their stories with their gameplay famously difficult. However, we must also appreciate, as I have mentioned elsewhere, that Takeda itself was very much a game-changer in regards to changing narrative styles on Total War Center. Nothing essentially new, but the first after action report to truly popularize and galvanize in terms of what could be done with hard narrative.

The beginnings of 2012 were uneventful in terms of categorizations and the two schools of thought (screenshot vs story/player vs writer) continued to exist simultaneously. However, the actual term 'screenshot after action report' (or any variation thereof) had fallen far out of use by this point. Instead, 'textual' or 'text-based after action report' had become far more prevalent, reinforcing the same dichotomy, but without the actual screenshot after action reports to exist as a point of reference.

Although there were some variations on existing categories (such as narrative-based), no significant new developments occurred before the departure of Juvenal and the contemporary period, which is where I will draw a line under this study.

What actually happened in terms of categorization then? Well, from 2009 and early 2010, the way of categorizing after action reports was done via a report/story dichotomy. Screenshots were not included as a way of categorization. However, owing to negative attitudes of the time towards after action reports that featured little to no prose or story, a new category was born to differentiate them from other pieces. This new way of categorization persevered as the dominant form until late 2010, where after action reports featuring an abundance of screenshots lost their associated stigma. Finally in 2011, the report/story dichotomy was revived and both schools of thought existed simultaneously until the contemporary period.

Why did these things transpire as they did? What we must consider is the early policy of the Quill, which took a much more militant and critical approach to reviewing. Critics were allowed and encouraged to be negative - if not scathing at times -, which allowed a new way of categorizing after action reports to be born. This was remedied under the tenure of Juvenal, who promoted a much more positive atmosphere. We must also remember the decline in the original report/traditional style, which prompted the need to categorize along prosaic lines. However, with the story/screenshot dichotomy already so entrenched even after this decline, the distinction persevered.

This is significant for a number of reasons, as it not only shows us how our predecessors viewed AARtistry, it also shows us how trends in both criticism and AARtistry interweave and affect eachother. There are many lessons to be learned and much we can take from this as we move forward

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Another chance for me to talk ey? How spoilt I am. However, I'm sure you're all sick of me by now, so I'll keep it brief.

I hope you will all join me in congratulating Merchant of Venice, McScottish and Alwyn for their hard work this issue. Please shower them with rep points and let them know your thoughts in the comments below! We're always interested in hearing how our ideas and theories are received, so don't be shy to chime in.

Furthermore, we're always on the look out for new writers and reviewers. If you fancy taking up the quill for our humble publication, don't hesitate to send me a PM - I don't bite!

We'll see you soon with Issue 46. In the meantime remember to check out our sister publications, as well as the Writers' Study itself. We always love to read new tales and talk with other writers, so drop by if that takes your fancy!

Hitai de Bodemloze
    Editor

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Looks like a great issue, well done guys.

I was just skimming through it and found myself caught up in 'A History of Categorization'... wow an excellent piece. I can't wait to read through the rest of the issue when I get the chance, you are all delivering a really high standard.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Holiday Readings and What does the future hold articles read, both of them were enjoyable.

+rep if you guys post here.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Holiday Readings and What does the future hold articles read, both of them were enjoyable.

+rep if you guys post here.
    You rang?

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Great issue and thanks for the mention! It was good reading and gave me time to appreciate the poetry entries. For all those interested as to why our rep is looking gimpish, it's explained in the Hex. Someone hacked the site using Darth Red's account.
    Last edited by Lugotorix; March 28, 2015 at 08:00 PM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Good work on the edition, Hitai. And to all the writers for the articles.

And Hitai is more generous with his words, as I don't really know if my tenure here was anything spectacular. The max I would say is that I brought the CQ to a stable mode, but that may be it. But again, it is you guys who would be the better judge about it.

Great work people and thanks for Hitai for getting this out and his fascinating article.

And M you didn't just bring stability but also a new direction and I think a lot of the stuff that you wanted to do (but we were too lazy to do) will be seen in Hitai's reign of terror tenure

There was a time, a couple years IIRC, that there used to be reviews for CW as well. Would that be something the publication would start up again? Or is it simpler to focus on AARs since there's more content?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

We had four CW reviews in Issue 43 back in August It's all contingent on what people want to do and how much time they have. This issue our priority was getting the Scriptorium reviews done, and obviously the Christmas period and then the new semester cut into people's time. Our team is quite small as well at the moment, but we're looking for new talent and hopefully we can become more comprehensive again in our coverage It's not that we purposefully ignore CW - or any other aspect of the Study -, it's just sometimes we'll have issues with different compositions of reviews/articles/interviews depending on who is available and what they want to write about.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; March 30, 2015 at 10:11 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

excellent work Hitai, I'm impressed by your level of understanding (I myself coulnd't say much on my own work )

great issue in any case
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader