Thread: Can we add victory conditions without causing the unit transformation bug?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Can we add victory conditions without causing the unit transformation bug?

Obviously, this question assumes that adding victory conditions caused the unit transformation bug. I think it does; I could be wrong. (I believe that, when we clone the victory conditions from faction X to provide victory conditions for faction Y, then faction X will experience the units transformation bug. When this bug happens, units turn into different units, e.g. a unit of artillery turning into a Native Musketmen Auxiliary unit.)

This question was prompted by a discussion here on the Minor Factions Revenge thread. I realised that I was going off-topic, into a discussion of modding, so I thought I should make my next comment in the Mod Workshop. My next comment was:-

Quote Originally Posted by von_neurath View Post
    I have been playing Itan's nod for a very long time and I have never ever experienced the unit transformation bug. But reading the explanation above it makes sense. I have only played Major factions and what Alwyn said may be true
    That's interesting. I wonder if there's a major faction which you do not play?

My theory came from my experience of adding victory conditions in my Early American Revolution mod. I cloned the British victory conditions to provide victory conditions for the United States. I then thought that it would be interesting to develop the mod so that you could play my version of the American Revolution from the British perspective, so I started a campaign as Britain - that's when I saw units transforming. I guessed that the problem was that I had cloned the British victory conditions. (I have never experienced units transforming when playing as the United States with that mod.) I tried starting campaigns as other major factions and their units did not transform. I could be wrong, of course - my theory fits the facts which I saw, but there might be a better explanation which I missed.

For my new mod, These United Colonies, I experimented with a slightly different process for adding victory conditions. When making Early American Revolution, I cloned victory conditions from a major faction in the same startpos file. When making These United Colonies, I opened another startpos in the ESF Editor (so I had a These United Colonies startpos and a copy of the vanilla startpos open in the same ESF Editor). I copied and pasted victory conditions from a major faction in the other startpos onto my These United Colonies startpos. I wondered if this would make it possible to add victory conditions to a faction without causing the unit transformation bug to happen. I have not yet tested playing as the faction whose victory conditions I copied (Prussia) to see whether that faction experiences the unit transformation bug - so far, I have been playing campaigns as the Thirteen Colonies (they do not experience the unit transformation bug - I would not expect them to, as my theory suggests that it is the faction whose victory conditions are copied which suffers the bug).
    Last edited by Alwyn; March 24, 2015 at 02:28 AM.