Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rome II is dead meat?

Default Rome II is dead meat?

So now that Attila is out and it has improved features in many aspects in relation to Rome II such as family tree, burning cities etc what role does Rome II actually stand for any longer? The games are so similar that it seems even possible easily to port Rome II factions and units to Attila and make mods on the Rome timeframe with better features in campaign and overall game.

So is Rome II now just dead meat? Why did we even have to buy Rome since it does not really offer us anything except worse gaming experience than Attila? I am the only one who feels like Rome II starts to seem like a bigger and bigger scam?

john duca's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Rome II is dead meat?

Still more people play rome 2 than attila...probably because many people dont want to buy another TW title

Semisalis

I see lots of people still playing and modding Rome 2. No problems getting on line battles either so no, that is not an ex-parrot
    Last edited by Col.KanKrusha; March 17, 2015 at 03:09 PM.
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

I am not going to buy Attila, mainly because it is not my time period. Hell, I would have not bought S2 either but it would have been too much without any change in a TW game. Even so, I played a lot of Empire in that time. Right now I bought WoS and HatG on sales. Played 80 hours on WoS. Now I am enjoying a Seleucid campaign on Vh/H and after that I am going to jump in HatG. And I have yet to play the Imperator campaign. I have 235 h on R2 and I had ONLY 15 before Emperor Edition. I will certainly play R2 until Med3 is out, or until the next historical TW comes out.

I actually think that R2 will have its glory period now because the game is finished patching (even though it needs more...) and modding will flourish on it.
    RTWRM - back to basics

=ANTiKES='s Avatar Miles

the whole total war thing starts to be a big fat joke thanks to sega and cohorts... Especially now that they'Re apparently (I do not own attila) doing the cut out content as DLC thing again with Attila...
    Last edited by =ANTiKES=; March 17, 2015 at 03:22 PM.

We should thank those brilliant guys who quite reasonably trusted the developers and preordered Attila and provided a fair amount of cash with buying amazing DLCs of rtw2. Those guys (and gals) are a beacon of hope in our times, we should all be more like them, like those absolutely nice people who justly think that rtw2 delivered what it promised, provided good post-release support i.e. patched what should be patched and the developers provided all that is needed to the modders, with very skillful modding tools and what not. I can not stress the importance of those kind of consumers to the gaming community. amen.

I will NOT buy Attila: Total War before I get it for at least 1/2 price. I will not be ripped off buying an almost full-price game that should have been an Add-On and consists of features stripped in the main game.

So until it is on sale I will continue to play RomeII.

Quote Originally Posted by Petroniu View Post
    I actually think that R2 will have its glory period now because the game is finished patching (even though it needs more...) and modding will flourish on it.
    Nah, I wouldn't be very optimist about the future of modding. ATW will be equally or slightly more moddable than R2. Add to that the existence of features like the family tree and the horde mode and ATW turns to a much more attractive option for modders.

nhinhonhinho's Avatar Domesticus

Well R2TW and ATW are going to be something like the good old day RTW and BI. People will slowly switch to ATW simply because it is more complete and contain more features while possess almost similar layout. However buying another game won't be similar to buy an add-on so the % would be smaller.

For me it is indeed dead meat, rotten to the core. Until Attila is improved by mods and patches, I'm enjoying ShogunII. Rome II is simply a bad game, mods and EE can't change that. CA has also moved on it seems.

Rome II has surpassed Attila on player retention already. Rome 2 will be a top 20 steamgame for two years in September
    Youtube channel
    Twitch channel
    Looking forward to Warhammer Total War

Probably because there is no Workshop section for Attila. At least I can't find it on Steam.

I mean come now, at this point what with how TW games are, that's like a Total War game without battle mode.

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

Even if Attila is in every way a better game, the time period has a special place in many people's hearts, though as you say this might be mitigated because modders could make antiquity mods for Attila, and Attila doesn't have the problem that Napoleon had after following Empire, Attila doesn't have a smaller scope, the entirety of the map is still there.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    C.S. Lewis

I sometimes cry myself to sleep thinking why they did not make Attila an expansion that would have it's features and fixes implemented into Rome II base game and Attila campaign as an additional campaign. It seems like a very stealthy move from CA to do Attila as a standalone when the many aspects of the both two games are almost identical.

And yes, I have also returned to Shogun II, I still wonder how this company managed to make Shogun II so good, almost like a jewel in gaming history, and then crash down Rome II with burning torsos and screaming souls in an unending choir.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I never bought Attila, and I regret buying Rome II. Although Rome II is not a dead meat (yet), because lots of people lost faith in CA and decided not to buy Attila. This game deserved much more, and Attila should've been an expansion to Rome II. But CA/SEGA's shameless milking of money did not sit well with a lot of people. So many are still playing Rome II using mods, or have gone back to older, great TW titles.

Seems like Attila is not too better than Rome II either. It has improvements, but suffers from same problems and for much less content. Just wait, there are at least 7 more cut-content ripoff DLCs coming for Attila.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

As of now, yes its dead meat. CA is clever to release Attila as a standalone when Rome 1 had a similar add-on (Barbarian invasion). This was most probably due to the big fiasco Rome 2 was in the beginning that they are now unwilling to fix the last remaining minor glitches. However, because Attila itself seems less interesting to me because of the timeframe, except some factions like byzantium and Huns, I will think of buying it later, probably during a sale simply because I can't consider it as a standalone. In front of my eyes, it still remains a Rome 2 add-on with a hyped price tag.
    Emperor Samudragupta's Sanskrit coinage.parakramah (valour), kritanta-parashu (deadly battle-axe), vyaghra parakramah (valourous tiger).

Quote Originally Posted by Shivendra View Post
    As of now, yes its dead meat. CA is clever to release Attila as a standalone when Rome 1 had a similar add-on (Barbarian invasion). This was most probably due to the big fiasco Rome 2 was in the beginning that they are now unwilling to fix the last remaining minor glitches. However, because Attila itself seems less interesting to me because of the timeframe, except some factions like byzantium and Huns, I will think of buying it later, probably during a sale simply because I can't consider it as a standalone. In front of my eyes, it still remains a Rome 2 add-on with a hyped price tag.
    One difference between BI and Attila is that BI's features weren't much different in comparison to vanilla, and those that were new (such as religion, loyalty, and hordes) weren't too well implemented and seemed more like stepping stones for Medieval 2.

Durnaug's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by john duca View Post
    Still more people play rome 2 than attila
    We keep hoping it will become enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by balparmak View Post
    We should thank those brilliant guys who quite reasonably trusted the developers and preordered Attila and provided a fair amount of cash with buying amazing DLCs of rtw2. Those guys (and gals) are a beacon of hope in our times, we should all be more like them, like those absolutely nice people who justly think that rtw2 delivered what it promised, provided good post-release support i.e. patched what should be patched and the developers provided all that is needed to the modders, with very skillful modding tools and what not. I can not stress the importance of those kind of consumers to the gaming community. amen.
    Indeed. Those people are to be thanked; and its absolutely great we have people like you here to remind us who real total war fans are : idiots who bend over and buy whatever SEGA out.

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Rome 2 is dead meat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast