View Poll Results: Would you like to see missile block chance get a bonus on fresh/active units?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
    The results in this poll are hidden.
  • Yes.

The results are hidden 0%
  • No.

• Undecided/Other/Read My Post

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tuskmod - Original thread

Default Re: Tuskmod

Absolutely, this would be surprisingly easy to do as a submod: Reduce the attack rate, increase damage falloff for ranged attacks, and reduce the average accuracy of a melee attack.... You get much slower battle speeds.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; March 25, 2015 at 05:49 PM.

Haha, i'd do it myself but i would have no idea how to go about doing it xP

To be fair to Mr Jones his stated aim was to maintain the feel and balance of the base game, while fixing irregularities and outright bugs

So things like changing the pace of the battle are probably better covered by other mods that base their system around that

Well i think his main goal was to diversify the various roles of the different unit types. I just feel like without changing the battle speed, you don't get to fully experience his diversification because of the fast battle times. but it all comes down to preference anyway

I definitely get why you would want an slower battle speed just to make sure that you get the most feeling out of the mod.

I will see if I can release a submod alongside 1.2 to add this, since this is probably the easiest to make request I have seen thus far.

As for 1.2, I will start the major changes for that version today or tomorrow. Expect a few more changes to the resources, to make them more appreciable, major changes to unit abilities with the goal of making them more exciting and interesting, and a few unit redesigns. Additionally, expect some of the issues introduced to this mod by the patch to be smoothed back out.

1.2.1 will probably focus on general units, giving general units extra abilities to help distinguish the culture groups from one another.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; March 28, 2015 at 06:35 PM.

Keep up the good work man, I'm just starting to get into battle modding myself so I mostly just know how to change hit chance at this point. I'll include your 1.2 version in my battle mod thread when you get it released

I am done with a good chunk of 1.2's goals, I even did some things I didn't really expect to do any time soon: I have done some minor modifications of the Roman Empire AI's.

I will be done with the testing of this version tommorow, and then I should be able to put together the battle speed submod shortly after releasing 1.2

Um curious what Ai changes were you able to make with the Roman ai?

Currently, its a little simple: I told it to stop spamming Comitatenses, and use more other things. This was based on the Byzantines doing nothing but throwing 4 stacks of Comitatenses at the players repeatedly in one game, which is more annoying then interesting.

Appart from some of your decisions on archers, this mod have a lt going for it. The one thing keeping me from enjoying your mod is the archer scavenge/resupply ability. Playing as the jutes, i was able to conquer angles with only the starting army, the reason for this was the 3 archer units. Definding armies will not move out and counter attacks from archers, making it extremely easy to take down settlements

Adjusting battle speed will definently help make this mode more enjoyable, but it isn't an easy thing to do. Balancing ranged units to new battle speed is actually complicated, if you nerf their damage to reflect the lower combat pace, they'll likely end up being useless in areas where they are needed. If you don't adjust ranged units, you'll end up making cavalry charges against archers close to impossible

The things I need to do to make a basic a lower battle speed mod (Not necessarily a refined one.)

1. Severely nerf the Speed of Scavange/Gather Rocks (Even if these abilities are not enabled.)

2. Increase damage falloff with range.

3. Reduce impact damage.

4. Adjust the max, min, and average accuracy of attacks, while preserving the reletive effectiveness of melee attack, defense, and charge bonus.

Of course, in this next version, I could make it a submod that enables the Scavenge/Gather rocks abilities, since I will probably be putting tuskmod in a zip with several optional submods from now on. Expect the newer features to be in the main mod, but if they leave people divided, they will become submods.

Of course, the current iteration of the Scavenge abilities is much different then the old ones: There is a starting timer on them to make sure there has been a battle to litter the field with arrows before it is used, secondly, they should greatly reduce the speed at which your men reload for a period of time.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; March 30, 2015 at 05:08 PM.

One thing that has bugged me about vanilla version is the fact that even if an archer unit fires it's entire arsenal in one go, it has little impact on their fatigue levels. I feel like pulling a bow 20+ times should leave the men exhausted. Just an idea though

Firing and reloading actually causes a ton of fatigue in the current version, its just that its very hard to tune things in a way that makes the average archer unit actually stay fatigued (As they spend long times doing nothing between every shot, making it so fatiguing non-elite archers is actually exceedingly difficult.)

Of course, fatigue from skirmishing isn't just unique to archery: As a slinger, I can attest to say that heavy projectiles, or even just a heavy sling can render an arm sore with the amount of force they can absorb... And javelins.... Yeah. Javelins are really not too force efficient, those will exhaust you quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Walrusjones View Post
    The things I need to do to make a basic a lower battle speed mod (Not necessarily a refined one.)

1. Severely nerf the Speed of Scavange/Gather Rocks (Even if these abilities are not enabled.)

2. Increase damage falloff with range.

3. Reduce impact damage.

4. Adjust the max, min, and average accuracy of attacks, while preserving the reletive effectiveness of melee attack, defense, and charge bonus.

Of course, in this next version, I could make it a submod that enables the Scavenge/Gather rocks abilities, since I will probably be putting tuskmod in a zip with several optional submods from now on. Expect the newer features to be in the main mod, but if they leave people divided, they will become submods.
    I have been experimenting a bit with my own battle pace mod, I ran into a few problems that were a bit difficult to balance out. I ended up with standard shot being unable to damage units with no armor and zero ranged defence. Setting buildings on fire with a single unit drained all ammo. I tried solving some of my problems by doubling archer ammo, but never had time to test/finish it.

Thumbs up from me if you're making scavenge a sub mod

Its in the new version, 1.2. You can find that the Zip has replaced 1.1.3.

Naturally, the new wave of experimental changes has hit the new mod, including javelin fixes, some Ebdani tweaks, some AI tweaks, and more exciting "standard" abilities.

i'll check it out and give you some feedback, did you include anything about battle pace in this one, or is that in your next update?

Been playing around with 1.2 today together with willhelms slower combat mod, which I've altered with a small buff to archer/slinger ammo. Attilia combat just feels more complete now. Thumbs up for making scavenge a submod.

The Battle Pace submod is something that I am finding will take more time testing, 1.2.1 will probably include it, with some more changes to Javelins (Will Arc more, foot javelins will have gotten an accuracy pass,) the Calidonians (An experiment with making more interesting cavalry hunting foot units,) the Burgundians (A slight redesign, similar to what the Ebdanians got,) and maybe a new projectile weapon (If the tests look good.)
    Last edited by Walrusjones; March 31, 2015 at 11:43 PM.

Nice mod and I love the effort spent on post #1 explaining everything (ooh pretty pictures too). I'd like it if you kept the battle pacing mod separate like you are planning on doing

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast