Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TOTAL WAR: BISMARK

VSC24's Avatar Libertus

Default TOTAL WAR: BISMARK

Now that I have your attention, anyone think there's a chance this mod will be picked up by CA? Like how Warband got the Viking mod expansion. Just something to think about.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: TOTAL WAR: BISMARK

Nice thought, but no, that will never happen.

To make a WW1 Total War work you'd need a TON of alteration to the game engine, unlike the Viking expansion for Warband. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on the team who knows C++ and probably not well enough to make the desired changes, let alone on my own.

The Viking team were more than capable of producing an expansion because to create an expansion of the same era/style in that game is very simple, relatively.

Even if CA right now decided "lets make a WW1 game!", the amount of work they'd have to do would mean it would be 90% their project, not one we as a mod team could cope with.

But yes... it's a nice thought, and as a fan of WW1 and Total War... I'd much rather have the CA team make a WW1 TW rather than us.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

I agree with Mitch.

I have noticed however that the last few games have slowly been incorporating WW1 elements into them, like mgs in Shogun and off map artillery, naval forts and naval artillery support, in Rome 2 combined army/navy operations and amphibious landing craft, siege attrition on both sides, scorched earth tactics in Attila etc.

I wouldnt be too surprised if theyve been working on it in the background this whole time, WW1 was the first true total war scenario after all.

Semisalis

TGW already showed how awesome WW1 can be in the Total War engine. I think the most difficult part would be making infantry tactics. Individual squads would have to be fairly smart about cover and such. TGW already had so much of the mechanics covered...the artillery, huge variety of weapons, tanks, revamped campaign. I would like to see a full world map WW1 or 19th century Total War game at some point, though.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    I agree with Mitch.

I have noticed however that the last few games have slowly been incorporating WW1 elements into them, like mgs in Shogun and off map artillery, naval forts and naval artillery support, in Rome 2 combined army/navy operations and amphibious landing craft, siege attrition on both sides, scorched earth tactics in Attila etc.

I wouldnt be too surprised if theyve been working on it in the background this whole time, WW1 was the first true total war scenario after all.
    The evidence seems to be stacking up that they're working on warhammer, though perhaps their second branch has started whatever comes next.

Generally, I'd bet on an intermediary (TW: Bismarck, as the OP suggests) before they think about WW1. It's more popular, more suitable to TW, and less of a design risk.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Nice thought, but no, that will never happen.

To make a WW1 Total War work you'd need a TON of alteration to the game engine, unlike the Viking expansion for Warband. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on the team who knows C++ and probably not well enough to make the desired changes, let alone on my own.

The Viking team were more than capable of producing an expansion because to create an expansion of the same era/style in that game is very simple, relatively.

Even if CA right now decided "lets make a WW1 game!", the amount of work they'd have to do would mean it would be 90% their project, not one we as a mod team could cope with.

But yes... it's a nice thought, and as a fan of WW1 and Total War... I'd much rather have the CA team make a WW1 TW rather than us.
    I object, I do know some C++. Not at the level of accessing another game's memory in realtime, mind you.

Patrician

I'm learning C# right now to script in Unity 3D.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Nice, I think with Unity and some decent C# skills you could put your models into a game one day Bdizl!

duerker von eden's Avatar Tiro

There are a dew things they would need to change to make a good WW1 total war and also Bismark total war wouldnt really be the name more like Total war: European war since that was the name at least before the USA waltzed in casually. They would need to make moving turrets on tanks and make them be able to fire more then one gun at a time because of the MK tanks that have 2 main guns and MGs most likely one reason they wont. 2 they will need to make animations for artillery and tank cannon recoil and animations for moving turrets on ships. 3 They would need to add modern ships which STW 2 FOTS has made the AP shell and all that but they would need to make huge models of them and then have moving turrets and have a dead zone where the turret cant turn same with tanks with the turret dead zone. Lastly They don't make the games the people want or expect like really people thought of Medieval 3 when they said family trees where in it but we got a remake of Rome 2 a few hundred years later.

There are so many reason they will not make a game past the mid 1800s other then the Franco-Prussian war since its pretty much same like FOTS tech wise.
    "No matter how fast you run the past will always find a short cut"

Deurker 2014

RNV's Avatar Campidoctor
    Regio Septima, Tuscia, Italia, Res Publica Romana

Total war + Bismark + imperialism + WWI + whole world = I swear an oath of submission to CA and buy all their DLC forever.

Your swearing an outh to the devil himself. CA will never heal from the monstrosity they made.

Deurker 2014

RNV's Avatar Campidoctor

Most likely indeed, but the faithful must have hope!

I dont mean to be mean but i lost faith in them due to Attila but if they make mid 3 and don't screw it up i will forgive them entirely.

Deurker 2014

If CA has a holding pattern, their next TW game will probably be pretty good then the next one will be crap followed by another game that is essentially that crap with a lot of the bugs but pretty much a sign that the game prior was in alpha.

Patrician

I was thinking, the horde mechanic in Atilla could be used in part to simulate Great Britain's presence in France without having to give GB an actual region there. GB could produce troops right at the front with the camps feature but then would still have their actual regions as well, could be an expeditionary force system of some sort basically.

I don't know. I've also lost faith in CA... after modding for a while and dealing with some of the outer circuitry of the game, you notice a lot of aspects of the game that just seem lazy. Especially when dealing with bugs that seem to make no sense. And yes, that reflects itself in the gameplay. If they were actually working towards something genuinely new, I'd be more forgiving, but it seems they're just recycling an old formula that's frankly not all that great.

Obviously I'm much more pessimistic here than Mitch or B-DizL. Would rather see another company (or some ex-CA employees?) give a crack at WW1.

Never played the Hegemony series myself, and although they've been focusing on Antiquity, I think they have a formula that would work really well with WW1. Full RTS gameplay is essential. A turn based WW1 mixed with RTS battles doesn't make any sense, you can get away with it until the end of the 19th century, but you can't simulate proper "front line" warfare with it.

Rome 2 was a mess then after think *Yes Medieval 3* All i got was the same game but 700 year later and to get 2 factions you have to buy a DLC right after it launched. I highly doubt there fans will recover from this even on steam the reviews for A:TW there is 1 god review every 30 or so bad ones. Even its old as hell i play M2TW more then NTW FOTS and Rome 2 combined. After empire they went down hill NTW was a good one and FOTS was better since it was in the late 1800s but after that not so well.

At this point iv been focused more on Paradox interactive with HOI4 then anything about the TW series. I still play NTW only for this mod if this mod didn't exist then i wouldn't be playing NTW at all. If a new company or a bunch of ex CA workers give a WW1 game a go then they did something CA might have never done. I feel like they want to pull a COD on us and try to push a game once a year with about 200 60$ DLC's just for factions and some minor textures. If they spent 2 or 3 years a game then they wouldn't be so bad since they gave it time and went through everything.

When they announce a new game it better be a new era and new map re texturing and messing with the land scape to make it look like a whole new map makes them seem lazy.

Deurker 2014

RNV's Avatar Campidoctor

I must try Hegemony it seems cool.

Domesticus

Hi!

You can always make a petition to the CA to make a Total War on WW1.

Not to be mean but there is no way in hell CA will respond to a petition. All they care about is how much can fit in there wallets.

Deurker 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast