Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 Years of Total War & Rezzed

Default Re: 15 Years of Total War & Rezzed

I loved the fantasy Warhammer games Shadow of the Horned Rat & Dark Omen.
    C.A. Bought the engine that ran these games to make the original Shogun.
    I think a Warhammer game Total War style will be great but I hope they continue to make historical war games or they will lose a large portion of their fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Good grief, is this Warhammer? Do you realize how ridiculous this looks? Surely you are jesting.

p.s. welcome to the forums!
    Also warhammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYz7riVwgkI

Look up other warhammer games in times past, they all play similar to how TW plays, in fact it was Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat that made me feel familiar with Medieval 1 the first time I played it. It's a genre and playstyle that fits perfectly into CA's toolbox, and will easily bring thousands of new players into the TW franchise for the first time as one of the largest IP's with the most dedicated followings out there.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

But they cannot do Warhammer in a half-baked way because this is for a new audience, and this will be a full PC release -- and they've already revealed the game will be another Total War; and that the recent TW on Warscape games are released at the rate of one per year. Warhammer is the TW PC/Warscape title for FY 2016. I would not be surprised if CA has convinced themselves that Warhammer is a somehow a "historical strategy game," what with all the lore etc. We'll get a historical title in FY 2017, probably Medieval 3 in time for Christmas 2016.

This is a great time for other strategy game developers to step into the void.
    just because it's something different doesn't mean it's going to be done in a half baked way. I'd rather them diversify and try new things, as much as I love the historical Total War's, Warhammer will certainly be interesting. I'm not one to write something off because it's either different from what I used to. I'm not a big fantasy guy and know absolutely nothing about Warhammer, but it definitely seems interesting.

Also, CA release a new Total War almost yearly isn't a new thing, in fact they have been having major release for Total War since the series began. The only years without a major TW release were 2008 and 2014 (however, there were DLCs released in 2014). The pattern of Main Game, then expansion/stand alone expansion the next year has been going on since the series started.

Shogun: Total War (2000)
    Shogun: Total War - Mongol Invasion (2001)
    Medieval: Total War (2002)
    Medieval: Total War - Viking Invasion (2004)
    Rome: Total War (2004)
    Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion (2005)
    Rome: Total War - Alexander (2006)
    Medieval 2: Total War (2006)
    Medieval 2: Total War - Kingdoms (2007)
    Empire: Total War (2009)
    Napoleon: Total War (2010)
    Total War: Shogun 2 (2011)
    Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai (2012)
    Total War: Rome II (2013)
    Total War: Attila (2015)
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

all these people saying ca not to go into warhammer

seriously ? its just 1 game its not like they said sorry people we don t like history anymore we are full fantasy now gtfo all people who played this game because of historical setting

besides its not really like total war was historically accurate in first place most of the times
    if you want a good historical game you should try playing paradox grand strategy games instead of total war
    total war is for battles mostly its the only thing it does better then anything else
    and battles get boring if you always just throw a guy with spear against a guy with a sword or a musket

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I am 90% certain a lot of people in this thread are conflating "Warhammer" with "Warcraft."

Warcraft is terrible. It has talking panda men.

Warhammer is great. It has a corrupt empire full of scheming politicians and religious zealots battling against an eternal force of chaos and disorder that is dooming the world to a slow, inevitable decline into destruction. It's dark, it's Gothic, and it's mature, if a little cheesy at times.

Warcraft is silly, with it's cartoony and "T for Teen" art direction. Warhammer is silly too, with it's cliche giant monsters and big muscley men in oversized armor with giant swords. But that silliness belies a depth in terms of politics and strategy that no game has yet to properly explore. Total War is absolutely perfect for this. Warhammer fits this series like a glove.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ponasozis View Post
    all these people saying ca not to go into warhammer

seriously ? its just 1 game its not like they said sorry people we don t like history anymore we are full fantasy now gtfo all people who played this game because of historical setting

besides its not really like total war was historically accurate in first place most of the times
    if you want a good historical game you should try playing paradox grand strategy games instead of total war
    total war is for battles mostly its the only thing it does better then anything else
    and battles get boring if you always just throw a guy with spear against a guy with a sword or a musket
    you make some sense with this statement "seriously ? its just 1 game its not like they said sorry people we don t like history anymore we are full fantasy now gtfo all people who played this game because of historical setting"

But the fact remains that to hold onto the consumer interest is paramount and I tend to think the history buff gamer is slightly older than the "Warhammer/Warcraft" players, and I can see CA losing its core fan base due to taking steps into the fantasy genre. Hey CA are running a business and I see why there looking at the franchise which is owned by SEGA and they will make a lot of money short term. Long term i perceive that the history buff will just move onto something else.

Congratulations to the Creative Assembly for 15 years of Total War!

15 years. I still can't believe it. It honestly doesn't feel like that much. I still remember playing the demo for Shogun: Total War, courtesy of the free disk from PC Zone magazine, and being equally astounded and frustrated by it. I still only managed to complete that second tutorial battle only after finishing the main campaign as the Takeda clan, after I got my copy from the now defunct Acme computer games store, ha ha!

Total War games have been a part of my life now for pretty much half of my existence. I hope they will be around for many years to come as well!

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    you make some sense with this statement "seriously ? its just 1 game its not like they said sorry people we don t like history anymore we are full fantasy now gtfo all people who played this game because of historical setting"

But the fact remains that to hold onto the consumer interest is paramount and I tend to think the history buff gamer is slightly older than the "Warhammer/Warcraft" players, and I can see CA losing its core fan base due to taking steps into the fantasy genre. Hey CA are running a business and I see why there looking at the franchise which is owned by SEGA and they will make a lot of money short term. Long term i perceive that the history buff will just move onto something else.
    And, again, I protest that stereotype. There is absolutely nothing childish about Warhammer. The visuals are corny, but that is irrelevant.

I thought it was immature for the longest time, because it looked like some teenager's idea of a "RADICAL" fantasy world, until I actually read up about it. Cliche? Sure. It's got the typical orcs, elves, dwarves, evil faction, blah blah what have you. The lore's not as deep as, say, the history or Arda, or the lore in the Elder Scrolls games.

But the world is well developed, with a wide variety of factions and units each with completely different styles of play and tactics and starting positions. It stands out in some nice ways, with the addition of artillery and gunpowder mixed with magic and monsters, with scenarios such as a pike and shot Tercio-style formation standing desperately against a swarming charge of orcs, or a mass of heavily armored cavalry getting destroyed by five men in funny hats shooting fireballs from their hands. Novel tactics, to say the least. The deeper lore and insinuations about the world are quite dark, with an empire ruled with an iron fist and a state-run inquisition battling against their inevitable defeat by powerful gods representing the worst aspects of mortal existence, a centuries old civil war splitting the elven race into two separate groups constantly warring with one another, a declining Dwarven empire struggling to protect it's mountain holdfasts against an ever-growing tide of orc invaders, who in turn are only rarely capable of uniting into a true threat, instead spending most of their time fighting with between individual warbands. Which is not even to mention the county of the dead, held by vampire counts who raise armies of skeletons and ghouls to wreak havoc upon the living, or the primitive lizard men who live across the oceans and maintain the legacy of the vast ancient race that created the whole world, or the savage, conniving rat men who live in warrens below the ground and harass the above races at every turn, or the noble knights who hold fast to their chivalric ideals even as the world turns to hell around them. Etc. You get the idea. There's a lot of variety in factions, more so than any Total War before.

I understand and respect people not liking fantasy. But I do not expect all this ridiculous insults and insinuations about people who do. Perhaps I made the mistake of thinking we were past the era where people thought fantasy was for children and "Dorks" in their basements. Fantasy is an established genre, full of great works in literature, art, gaming, etc.

For me, Warhammer is the "Spec Ops: The Line" of fantasy worlds. I went in with low expectations, and it's outward appearance suggests it's just another, run-of-the-mill, cliche thing. And then it hits you with an odd sense of something not quite being right, and then you murder everyone you loved and build a throne of skulls to worship the blood god.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Doe3000 View Post
    Congratulations to the Creative Assembly for 15 years of Total War!

15 years. I still can't believe it. It honestly doesn't feel like that much. I still remember playing the demo for Shogun: Total War, courtesy of the free disk from PC Zone magazine, and being equally astounded and frustrated by it. I still only managed to complete that second tutorial battle only after finishing the main campaign as the Takeda clan, after I got my copy from the now defunct Acme computer games store, ha ha!

Total War games have been a part of my life now for pretty much half of my existence. I hope they will be around for many years to come as well!
    still feels like yesterday I dumped same poor girl when I was 17-18 to play Total War Medieval 2 kingdoms and didn't think I would go on and help with the history side of a mod also in the Last kingdoms.

God so many hr's.

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Totalwar:Hammer..........oh dear, the end is nigh.

That said, i would have preferred a brake form the Sword / Shield / spear combo and hopped for a new engine and Empire 2 or indeed the missed Pike and shot of the 1600's, perhaps a break form the norm will allow a better engine to be created and honed before a return to Medieval 3 or similar.

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post

History buffs are not all adults. Many kids are buying this game to play with their nation and conquer things. Nationalism is a selling point for Creative Assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    just because it's something different doesn't mean it's going to be done in a half baked way. I'd rather them diversify and try new things, as much as I love the historical Total War's, Warhammer will certainly be interesting. I'm not one to write something off because it's either different from what I used to. I'm not a big fantasy guy and know absolutely nothing about Warhammer, but it definitely seems interesting.

Also, CA release a new Total War almost yearly isn't a new thing, in fact they have been having major release for Total War since the series began. The only years without a major TW release were 2008 and 2014 (however, there were DLCs released in 2014). The pattern of Main Game, then expansion/stand alone expansion the next year has been going on since the series started.

Shogun: Total War (2000)
    Shogun: Total War - Mongol Invasion (2001)
    Medieval: Total War (2002)
    Medieval: Total War - Viking Invasion (2004)
    Rome: Total War (2004)
    Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion (2005)
    Rome: Total War - Alexander (2006)
    Medieval 2: Total War (2006)
    Medieval 2: Total War - Kingdoms (2007)
    Empire: Total War (2009)
    Napoleon: Total War (2010)
    Total War: Shogun 2 (2011)
    Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai (2012)
    Total War: Rome II (2013)
    Total War: Attila (2015)
    Viking Invasion was released in 2003.

So the first 4 games all were released at a 2 years intervall with an addon one year after the main game.

And since they moved on to Steam and the new DLC policy, they threw that schedule out the window.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I wonder why a 15 years celebration thread turned simply into a pro / con Warhammer discussion - how offtopic
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Viking Invasion was released in 2003.

So the first 4 games all were released at a 2 years intervall with an addon one year after the main game.

And since they moved on to Steam and the new DLC policy, they threw that schedule out the window.
    Ah, my mistake. And no, they really haven't thrown that schedule out. Napoleon is quite simply a stand alone expansion, same Attila and FOTS. Their schedule is the same, they've just moved onto doing Stand alone expansions instead.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Kindjal83's Avatar Tiro

Was that... A Dragon roar?!

WITH ME, SONS OF SIGMAR! FOR THE EMPIRE!

Last edited by Kindjal83; March 14, 2015 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    Ah, my mistake. And no, they really haven't thrown that schedule out. Napoleon is quite simply a stand alone expansion, same Attila and FOTS. Their schedule is the same, they've just moved onto doing Stand alone expansions instead.
    I have always called Napoleon a stand alone addon, but the devs and most of the community insist on calling it an own game...
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Tartknocker View Post
    Also warhammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYz7riVwgkI

Look up other warhammer games in times past, they all play similar to how TW plays, in fact it was Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat that made me feel familiar with Medieval 1 the first time I played it. It's a genre and playstyle that fits perfectly into CA's toolbox, and will easily bring thousands of new players into the TW franchise for the first time as one of the largest IP's with the most dedicated followings out there.
    Hey Tartknocker with 33 posts guess what? I'm not clicking on that.

I get that there are huge Warhammer fans and those fans think Warhammer fits TW. That's wonderful for you and you are going to get a TW game soon, with all that entails (hype, dlc, bugs, dlc, bad ai, dlc, stupid features they'll never change, dlc). But one thing Warhammer isn't going to do is build a larger fanbase over the long run.

For every Warhammer die-hard there's a longstanding paying customer like me with utterly no interest in WH. A departing customer. A divided community. The history folks and the fantasy folks. Neither group over the long haul will feel that CA is catering to their specific interests. And because we both want CA's attention, for entirely different things, we won't play together nicely either. Over the next few months the history guys will leave or disappear into back-issue mods as the noise from Attila dies down and WH will have this space all to yourself.

@Al Qamar -- lot's of threads will go this way over the next six months -- and the reason we're discussing it at all is because CA inserted a dragon roar in the video celebrating itself.

@IluminatiRex -- I agree WH will not be half-baked or a quick, one-off thing. It's going to be a full release for PC and a permanent fixture in CA's line up.
    Last edited by Huberto; March 14, 2015 at 11:30 AM.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

It's sad to see how far the franchise has fallen in 15 years -- from deep thoughtful game engines made for curious, hungry minds --to games made for drones who can swipe a touchscreen. Empire was the beginning of bad business practices from CA, but at least underneath it all, the engine proved to be relatively sound for what it was attempting to achieve.

Might as well go to Warhammer (a cool, well developed world that has nothing to do with a similarly named mmo which came about decades later), because the historical games aren't cutting it. Sorry though, if you can't even make an engine which actually simulates combat where units have real secondary weapons, then this will be a failure too.

At least the modding community gets better and better each year!

Hey Tartknocker with 33 posts guess what? I'm not clicking on that.

I get that there are huge Warhammer fans and those fans think Warhammer fits TW. That's wonderful for you and you are going to get a TW game soon, with all that entails (hype, dlc, bugs, dlc, bad ai, dlc, stupid features they'll never change, dlc). But one thing Warhammer isn't going to do is build a larger fanbase over the long run.

For every Warhammer die-hard there's a longstanding paying customer like me with utterly no interest in WH. A departing customer. A divided community. The history folks and the fantasy folks. Neither group over the long haul will feel that CA is catering to their specific interests. And because we both want CA's attention, for entirely different things, we won't play together nicely either. Over the next few months the history guys will leave or disappear into back-issue mods as the noise from Attila dies down and WH will have this space all to yourself.

@Al Qamar -- lot's of threads will go this way over the next six months -- and the reason we're discussing it at all is because CA inserted a dragon roar in the video celebrating itself.

@IluminatiRex -- I agree WH will not be half-baked or a quick, one-off thing. It's going to be a full release for PC and a permanent fixture in CA's line up.
    Yeah, by all means don't click on a youtube link because the guy who posted it has 33 posts. Might by spyware I guess?

I'm not sure exactly what your point is here, it sounds like you're making this out to be some kind of Seahawks vs. Patriots rivalry or something. Companies make different games that appeal to different core fanbases all thee time. CA making one fantasy game doesn't mean they're going to suddenly forget how to make other games. If Warhammer is a hit, they'll probably make a sequel or some expansions down the line in the future, amongst other games. Many players who enjoy the Warhammer IP will likely develop an interest in CA's other historical games as well (like I mentioned I originally did) breathing new life into the community. It's not a "divided community" or a zero sum game as you and a few others are attempting to frame it. If you don't like a title don't buy it and wait for the next one, that simple. I've played every CA game since Med 1, after coming to the series as a die hard warhammer player and the series piqued my interest in history which is now one a major part of my life. That doesn't sound like "a divided community" to me.

PS: Warhammer fans are no strangers to being a paying customer either. It's one of the most expensive hobbies around.
    Last edited by Tartknocker; March 14, 2015 at 01:00 PM.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Tartknocker View Post
    Yeah, by all means don't click on a youtube link because the guy who posted it has 33 posts. Might by spyware I guess?

Many players who enjoy the Warhammer IP will likely develop an interest in CA's other historical games as well (like I mentioned I originally did) breathing new life into the community. It's not a "divided community" or a zero sum game as you and a few others are attempting to frame it. If you don't like a title don't buy it and wait for the next one, that simple. I've played every CA game since Med 1, after coming to the series as a die hard warhammer player and the series piqued my interest in history which is now one a major part of my life. That doesn't sound like "a divided community" to me.

PS: Warhammer fans are no strangers to being a paying customer either. It's one of the most expensive hobbies around.
    I won't click on the link because it's about Borehammer and I have no interest. Trust me there's no rivalry. Just a massive wall of not caring about WH. Just as you've apparently had zero interest in participating in this forum until WH was all but confirmed.

Of course there are people who want fantasy and historical versions of TW, but they are a minority. In terms of releases, it is absolutely a zero sum game, which is my point. There won't be WH games released alongside historical games because if there were, both games would suffer greatly for lack of attention by the development team. And if Warhammer's fan base loves spending money on WH, then CA will be your BFF, not mine.
    Last edited by Huberto; March 14, 2015 at 02:31 PM.