Thread: Submod: Imperial Destroyer Realism

Icon3 Submod: Imperial Destroyer Realism

Version: 0.2 (alpha)

Why?

This submod aims to create a realistic feeling to Imperial Destroyer. Also, it strives to add back some of the functionality that was originally removed in order to make the gameplay more dynamic.

"The problem with Imperial Destroyer 6.3 is that it puts out more than it puts in" - Gudea TW

For now, this submod is only focusing on early campaign.

Campaign changes

• Starting treasury in early campaign: amount varies depending on how rich your nation is
    • Historical protectorates introduced
    • Historical victory conditions for a few nations in early campaign (work in progress)
    • Diplomacy options restored but region trading removed (AI does not understand that concept)
    • Rakes and assassins can assassinate and sabotage armies (0.2 update)

Battle changes

• Armour: removed, except for cuirassers and old fashioned units in plate/mail armour (Axland 0.2 update)
    • Unit size increased (infantry: 160 to 200, jägers: 80 to 100, general bodyguards: 16 to 24, pirates also)
    • Unit morale: standard Russian, British and Prussian line infantry reduced from 8 to 7 along with recruitment cost (Axland 0.2 update)
    • Morale: changes for losses and fatigue, army destruction is more difficult (Axland 0.2 update)
    • Ships have reduced acceleration and speed, especially lighter ships (Axland 0.2 update)
    • Much less accuracy for muskets and bows
    • Decreased ammo: 20 rounds infantry and cavalry, 40 for sharpshooters (Axland 0.2 update)
    • Fatigue: more punishment for tired troops and walking tire troops very mildly (Axland 0.2 update)

Download ⬇️

1. Download from MediaFire here (0.1 version - OLD)
    2. Download from MediaFire here (0.2 version - LATEST, 500+ downloads as of end April 2023)

Installation ⚙️

1. Make sure you have latest version of Imperial Destroyer 6.3 installed and working
    2. Add files into your ETW/data/ folder
    3. Add files from "Optional" folder if you want to add: increased income and trade ships

Version history

The 0.2 version is based on Axlands submod "Realistic Battles for Imperial Destroyer" which can be found here. A big thanks to Axland for his amazing work and effort!

Future ideas

• Add historical missions to campaign
    • Decrease unit cost and upkeep - requires investigation how AI behaves

Want to contribute?

If anyone is interested in testing, providing feedback, doing historical research or want to mod please let me know! All feedback is highly appreciated

Join discord here: https://discord.gg/63vagcBMk6
    Last edited by scaniavikings; April 28, 2023 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Download statistics

Sir_Aggelos_GR's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Submod: Imperial Destroyer Realism

Nice ideas bravo
    I can help with the testing

Love your submod for Imperial Destroyer. I think my only gripe is how quickly whole regiments of infantry route. I've been play testing almost every faction and I think basic line infantry actually hit "shattered" with anywhere from 140-160 troops left per the 200 man regiment. I'm unsure of the extent of historical accuracy, but especially for nations like Kingdom of Prussia or Kingdom of Sweden, I'm sure their infantrymen were trained much better than that to withstand morale shocks. Other than that, I love the changes. I apologize if this my comment was nitpicky, I'm just struggling to keep units on the battlefield for very long at all even with proper support units.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Aggelos_GR View Post
    Nice ideas bravo
    I can help with the testing
    Awesome! I am starting an early campaign as Russia to evaluate the changes

Quote Originally Posted by Petschie View Post
    Love your submod for Imperial Destroyer. I think my only gripe is how quickly whole regiments of infantry route. I've been play testing almost every faction and I think basic line infantry actually hit "shattered" with anywhere from 140-160 troops left per the 200 man regiment. I'm unsure of the extent of historical accuracy, but especially for nations like Kingdom of Prussia or Kingdom of Sweden, I'm sure their infantrymen were trained much better than that to withstand morale shocks. Other than that, I love the changes. I apologize if this my comment was nitpicky, I'm just struggling to keep units on the battlefield for very long at all even with proper support units.
    Thank you for your feedback Petschie! Sorry I completely missed your comment... Are you suggesting basic line infantry (especially Sweden and Prussia) should be able to withstand more casualties?

Regarding the historical accuracy I will need to do some further research. I've been looking into different wars during 18th century and noticed that casualties was around 9% to 30%. In some rare cases casualties would be higher than 50%.
    Last edited by scaniavikings; July 23, 2022 at 09:36 AM.

Can you add the ability on rakes to sabotage armies?

I think so! Will update in the coming days (hopefully)

Hi!
    Love your idea of submod. I'd like to help, not experienced at modding (but i can do basic script things). I have some knowledge about this time periode though.

Looking at what Petschie said, most line infantry would break after taking 20/30% casualities, and even Prussian or Swedish line infantry were poorly trained at the start of the 18th century. Only elite unit like grenadiers were able to whistand 50% casulaties.
    It need to be balance still, and unit were quick to rout and regroup at this time, so maybe increase moral regain rate, or tie moral and stamina so tired unit rout quickly but regroup soon after, creating a need to cycle unit on the front line, as it was usual at this time.

I turned on sabotage armies (is_active) inside Lord_Core.pack but I cannot verify it - does it require skilled rakes to do it? How does it work in vanilla ETW, can you sabotage armies there?
    Last edited by scaniavikings; August 21, 2022 at 05:38 AM.

Ok I found tutorial about how to enable sabotage army, will try to add and update to 0.2 in the coming days.

Just uploaded the 0.2 version!

@Sir_Aggelos_GR I added so that rakes can sabotage armies.

@Petschie and @kollr great input! You might want to try with the 0.2 update and reach back I will continue to investigate Prussia and Sweden in regards of morale and routing. Axland did some good work in morale, routing and fatigue (which is included in the 0.2 update). Here is an example of three different units and when they route: elite, regular and mob. As you see the elite can withstand most casualties.

Last edited by scaniavikings; September 18, 2022 at 03:08 AM.

Doesn't ID remove a whole lot more than this sub-mod brings back? Including stuff that absolutely is historically accurate but the edgelord Russian mods remove it cause they hate fun.

Very good try.
    I like it.After having played hours with this mod i will write here some typical prolems of the game yet unsolved.I hope you can come up with some idea to improve it and i will be glad to test it

Sieges are typical good.Lordsith has increased the stone wall HP very much so that they dont break and thus the siege lag to be completely away.
    Some times ai abandonds walls and storms outside the walls.
    AI a defender recieves unreal morale bonus from the fort

In naval battles there exists a rare freeze lag.
    I would like to see the ships not to explode so often and greatly increase markmanships from marines shooting aboard

Battles that ai attacks are good but some times it wastes his cavalry and leaves its artillery out of posision.

The main problem is when ai defends.I dont know if you can intervene in the way they behave here.
    In most battles it defends ai leaves as rearguard units that doesnt use.Wastes its cavalry and general in hero charges and keeps its artillery not firing,remaining limbered.
    The battles that ai behavious a little better is when ai camps to a point of the map for some turns as seen in the pic below

One other aspect of the game that needs to be tuned is the late game ai passiveness.After many turns when you manage to get a little income ai is no longer a threat and campaigns become boring.Ai fails to become ruthless and expanding in late turns and literally you can win every battle you take

About campaign ai problems is the main port raiding loop that weakens the ai.They dont guard their ports all the time

Diplomacy also must be let a little more slack ai is a little stiff and stubborn in its wars.

Last but not least some units must get a limit in the number they can be recruited.
    This includes howitzers which are a little op.The caliber of howitzers in the game is wrong 12 24 and lastly 32 pounds is the correct order.
    Also all cannons should have 8 guns and also the game suffers from some units thet used to be but were removed from the game such as mortars grenadiers and elephants

The main aspect that makes this mod successfull is its stability.there are very good units other mods have but they become crashy.
    I hope a new version to come out at some time.If you have any ideas let me know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12.jpg  

very nice mod!!
    can you make more longer battle option like ntw3, adding more hp units or something like that. İ tried less accurate option but its not do so in my experience.
    thanks

Sorry for late reply. I have been busy and wonder if anyone wants to help improving this mod?

Count me in

This submod does not work properly with VDM. VDM stops working properly because the scripting.lua file is changed, it seems.

Is there any way to solve this?

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty457 View Post
    This submod does not work properly with VDM. VDM stops working properly because the scripting.lua file is changed, it seems.

Is there any way to solve this?
    Unfortunately VDM is not compatible with this submod for now. Right now, my work is on-pause since I am busy with life. Hopefully I can come back to this later

I do not know if Scaniavikings is touching recruiting.

In RBID 2.0, which is right now in the dry dock, the recruitment is radically different in two aspects.

Recruitment cost is reduced but unkeep is increased. You can "rapidly" expand you armies but you will soon experience money shortages.

Are hardcaps for every unit ingame, so small nations are in clear disadvantage in front of the populations juggernauts like France, Austria or the Ottoman.