Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to merge animations from 2 different mods

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default How to merge animations from 2 different mods

This is my 1st tutorial. So, if you notice mistakes, be gentle and just point them. I'll correct them quickly.

While trying to implement the animations for SSHIP from another mods, I encountered issues and it took me a while before to find out, mostly because I couldn't find the information I needed.

As it might be useful to know for the others, I've decided to share my "little" experience with animations, especially if you want to merge animations from a mod to another one.

Before to start, it is recommanded to have the basic knowledge about animations. There are several threads for that here and here. Also, as it has been already explained in these threads, I won't explain how to modify or to merge the skeletons, how to update the descr_skeleton.txt or the modeldb files with the new animations. The purpose of this tutorial is purely about the animations themselves.

Tools:

- The Animations and Skeleton Unpacking Tool or the M2TW Modeler Toolbox.
    - Notepad ++

Preparation:

To simplify the explanation, I'll take the Stainless Steel animations for example.

First, back up the animations folder (just in case ).

Then, to avoid any problem, I usually create a folder somewhere and I call it Workshop. In that folder, I create 2 folders:
    - SS6.3 animations folder
    - SS6.3skeletons folder
    If you feel enough confident, you can directly work in your animations folder, in our case located as follow:
    C:\Program files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\SS6.3\data\animations

In the SS6.3 animations folder, copy the pack.dat and pack.idx files.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In the SS6.3 skeletons folder, copy the skeleton.dat and skeleton.idx files.

Step 1: Unpacking the animations

With one of the unpacking tools, unpack the animations. In this case, you will get a folder named "data", a folder named "mods" and a file named anim_list.txt or pack.list depending on the tool you're using. Here are some pics with M2TW Modeler Toolbox v0.5:

1. Launch M2TW Modeler Toolbox and choose the right option (see above).

2. Select the file you want to unpack.

3. After a short while, you get this message.

4. Now, in your SS6.3 animations folder, you have this.

The file named pack.list (or anim_list.txt) contains the path to the relevant .cas files located in the "data" or "mods" folders.
    In our case, it looks like this (once edited with Notepad++):

Code:
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_charge.casdata/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_die_galloping.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_die_standing.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run_to_charge.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run_to_stand_a.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run_to_walk.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_shuffle_forward.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_idle.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_to_charge.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_to_run.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_to_walk.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_turn_90_ccw_1.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_turn_90_cw_1.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_swim.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_swim_to.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_walk.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_walk_to_run.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_walk_to_stand_a.cas
    (...)
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/med_elephant/med_elephant_stand_a_to_run.CAS
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/med_elephant/med_elephant_stand_a_to_swim.CAS
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/med_elephant/med_elephant_stand_a_to_walk.CAS
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/med_elephant/med_elephant_stand_a_turn_45_ccw_1.CAS
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/med_elephant/med_elephant_stand_a_turn_45_cw_1.CAS
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/med_elephant/med_elephant_swim.CAS
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/med_elephant/med_elephant_swim_attack.CAS
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/med_elephant/med_elephant_swim_idle.CAS
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/med_elephant/med_elephant_swim_to_stand_a.CAS
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/med_elephant/med_elephant_walk.CAS
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/med_elephant/med_elephant_walk_to_run.CAS
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/med_elephant/med_elephant_walk_to_stand_a.CAS
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/standard_flag_anim.cas
    I've put only some entries. In Stainless Steel, there are 2386 lines.

As you can see, some of them have a path like "data/animations/etc..." and some others have a path like "mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/etc...".
    My guess is that the 1st path refers to the original M2TW animations and the 2nd one refers to the modified Stainless Steel animations.

Anyway, my goal is to make only 1 path type for all animations as "mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/etc..."

Step 2: Editing the animations list

That's simple. You just need to change the 1st path, "data/animations/etc...", to the 2nd one, "mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/etc..."

For example, I'm updating the spear animations. There are 19 entries originally looking like that:
    Code:
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_charge.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_die_galloping.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_die_standing.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run_to_charge.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run_to_stand_a.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run_to_walk.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_shuffle_forward.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_idle.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_to_charge.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_to_run.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_to_walk.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_turn_90_ccw_1.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_turn_90_cw_1.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_swim.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_swim_to.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_walk.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_walk_to_run.cas
    data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_walk_to_stand_a.cas
    I'm updating them like that:
    Code:
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_charge.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_die_galloping.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_die_standing.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run_to_charge.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run_to_stand_a.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run_to_walk.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_shuffle_forward.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_idle.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_to_charge.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_to_run.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_to_walk.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_turn_90_ccw_1.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_stand_a_turn_90_cw_1.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_swim.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_swim_to.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_walk.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_walk_to_run.cas
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_walk_to_stand_a.cas
    Save and close.

Important: if you're using the M2TW Modeler Toolbox, in the pack.list file, you will find some entries like that:
    Code:
    data/animations/Hr_spear/Hr_spear_horse_req/Hr_spear_fs_horse_stand_a_idle.cas|data/animations/Hr_spear/Hr_spear_horse_req/Hr_spear_fs_horse_stand_a_idle.cas1|1
    I don't know why but in that case, you need to update the both paths like that:
    Code:
    mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/Hr_spear/Hr_spear_horse_req/Hr_spear_fs_horse_stand_a_idle.cas|mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/Hr_spear/Hr_spear_horse_req/Hr_spear_fs_horse_stand_a_idle.cas1|1
    Step 3: Updating the animations folders.

Basically, we need to move the CR_Spear folder to its correct new location.
    It is located as follow: SS6.3 animations/data/animations/CR_Spear

Just cut it and paste it in SS6.3 animations/mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/

You could think that's enough. We just need to re-pack the animations and that's it. But it's not. If you proceed that way, you'll get a CTD when you launch the game and your log will say that a .cas file is missing even if it's present.

Step 4: Unpacking the skeletons

With one of the unpacking tool, unpack the skeletons in your SS6.3 skeletons folder.
    You will get a bunch of .file files and a list.txt file or a skeleton.list file depending on the tool you're using.

Step 5: Editing the skeleton file

Look for the M2TW_CR_Spear file. Edit it with Notepad++. It should look like this:

Here comes the "tricky" part. In that file, you have to look for all the CR_Spear animations enties in between all the funny letters and symbols.

You can see in red, the part which need to be change as "mods/Stainless_Steel_6/data/animations/CR_Spear/etc..."
    Beware that some other entries (in blue) refer to some other animations paths and don't need to be change unless you move them as well.

Once all the relevant entries have been corrected, save and close. In this example, that's the only skeleton file that needs to be implemented. But for some other animations, you might need to implement several skeleton files.

Step 6: Re_packing the files

With one of the unpacking tool, repack the animations and skeletons.
    Once done, you should have a new pack.dat, pack.idx, skeleton.dat and skeleton.idx files.
    Note that if you're using the M2TW Modeler Toolbox, you might need to rename these files depending on the option you have choosen (f.e. it can be pack.created.dat instead pack.dat).

Copy them in the animations folder of Stainless Steel mod. You're done.

Note 1: in this example, there's no need to implement the descr_skeleton.txt file and the modeldb file. If you adapt this method to merge animations from a mod to another one, be sure that the animations and skeletons have the same names. I'll make another tutorial for that option later on.

Note 2: If you encounter a CTD right after launching the game and if your log says that there's a missing .cas file, you probably missed 1 (or several) entrie(s) in 1 (or several) skeleton file(s).
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; November 13, 2017 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Missing pics restored
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: How to merge animations from 2 different mods

Just what I was looking for!
    Thanks in advance (of my upcoming CTDs and final success, hehe)
    Last edited by Ngugi; March 11, 2015 at 11:24 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Blog Entries

Many thanks. I'm also preparing a list to show which skeleton files need to be updated per animation while I'm updating these animations for SSHIP. That should make things a bit easier to update the skeleton files.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

The more comprehensive and pedagogic, the better

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Very helpful tutorial, sadly I read it a bit late, I left my animations works for my submod and took the whole animation pack from another mod.

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Well, I got second attempt to merge animations between 2 mods (MythTW and CallOfWarhammer). Previously I edited descr_skeletons, then I added some animations and skeletons from CoW to main Myth packs as said in tutorial above, repacked them with utilite xidx and got ctd again, with unspecified error in log. When I renamed only skeleton.pack to skeleton1.pack mod worked, but with only units with vanilla skeleton models, new Myth models caused ctd when custom battle loads.

Hrer is the log. I got all files in directories and in skeleton files too. What else could it be?
    Code:
    18:39:29.750 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    18:39:29.750 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    18:39:29.765 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    18:39:29.765 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    18:39:29.765 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    18:39:29.765 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    18:39:29.765 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    18:39:29.765 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    18:39:29.781 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/WindsOfWinter/data/text/diplomacy.txt.strings.bin is missing
    18:39:29.781 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/WindsOfWinter/data/text/diplomacy.txt is missing
    18:39:29.781 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/WindsOfWinter/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt.strings.bin is missing
    18:39:29.781 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/WindsOfWinter/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt is missing
    18:39:29.796 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/WindsOfWinter/data/text/shortcut.txt.strings.bin is missing
    18:39:29.796 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/WindsOfWinter/data/text/shortcut.txt is missing
    18:39:30.656 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
    18:39:30.656 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAGE
    18:39:30.671 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
    18:39:30.687 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
    18:39:30.687 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
    18:39:30.703 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
    18:39:31.125 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/WindsOfWinter/data/text/climates.txt.strings.bin is missing
    18:39:31.125 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/WindsOfWinter/data/text/climates.txt is missing
    18:39:31.218 [system.io] [warning] open: data/animations/test_weapon/sword_1_primary_0.CAS is missing
    18:39:31.218 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/WindsOfWinter/data/descr_skeleton.txt, at line 61, column 115
    AnimDB: Could not load - 'data/animations/test_weapon/sword_1_primary_0.CAS'
    18:39:31.218 [data.invalid] [fatal] Animation database failed to load!
    18:39:31.218 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Last edited by bitterhowl; August 09, 2015 at 07:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Can you send me the animations folder and the descr_skeleton file and a list of the "imported" animations? Then, I can check it.
    The main problem while merging animations is that the log doesn't say much.

God bless your kindness! I'll send files to you by PM.

nvm

Hi Liftharasir,
    Thank you very much for your tutorial its very useful!!
    I did what you said but i have a problem to repack because the read only attribute in windows 7.
    I tried everything but the tool of zarothos can't repack the file i got this error:

Blog Entries

I'm not sure to understand your meaning about Windows 7. I run Windows 7 and have no problem with the tool.
    If you were able to unpack by using Zaratos tool, you should be able to repack. Howevedr, I'm not using his last version but the version 5. That might be the reason
    Also, can you enlarge the pic as I can't read the error message?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I'm not sure to understand your meaning about Windows 7. I run Windows 7 and have no problem with the tool.
    If you were able to unpack by using Zaratos tool, you should be able to repack. Howevedr, I'm not using his last version but the version 5. That might be the reason
    Also, can you enlarge the pic as I can't read the error message?
    Thanks!! I did a lot of test and i was able to repack i put the compatibility mode on windows 98 and the tool in the MTW2 folder.
    I have a new problem now:
    11:41:09.552 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    11:41:09.554 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    11:41:09.560 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    11:41:09.561 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    11:41:09.564 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    11:41:09.566 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    11:41:09.568 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    11:41:09.569 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    11:41:12.569 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Basically i'm tring to add a troll unit of warhammer to the submod of PCP.

1)I unpack the pcp pack file.
    2)Add the folder of the troll animation in pcp.
    3)Open the list file end add the entries of th animations like:
    mods/Third_Age_PCP/data/animations/Warhammer_Troll/W_Troll_at_hi_a_punch_success.cas|Unmapped|2
    4)Finally repack.
    5)unpack the skeleton pack and add skeleton file modified it like you show in the tutorial and repack.
    6)add entries in the descr_skeleton, and battle_model_DB and export_descr_unit file.

thankyou for your support!!

Blog Entries

Have you also unpack, update the entries and repack the skeleton file?

Another explanation could be that some animations for the Troll refer to some other animations which are not in your mod. Check all the lines referring to the Troll animations in the descr_skeleton file. All these are also the entries that need to be implemented in the skeleton file itself. However, there can be references to other animations than the Troll ones.
    For instance, in M2TW, all javelin units have entries referring to spear units. All musket units have entries referring to crossbow units.
    In your case, you might have entries in the Troll skeleton file referring to an animation which is not included to your mod. The most simple way to find out is to check the descr_skeleton file.
    Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; December 19, 2015 at 09:05 AM.

Have you also unpack, update the entries and repack the skeleton file?

Another explanation could be that some animations for the Troll refer to some other animations which are not in your mod. Check all the lines referring to the Troll animations in the descr_skeleton file. All these are also the entries that need to be implemented in the skeleton file itself. However, there can be references to other animations than the Troll ones.
    For instance, in M2TW, all javelin units have entries referring to spear units. All musket units have entries referring to crossbow units.
    In your case, you might have entries in the Troll skeleton file referring to an animation which is not included to your mod. The most simple way to find out is to check the descr_skeleton file.
    Hope it helps.
    It could be the problem, i made a test with another unit taken from myth total war.
    The problem seems to be in the entries in the battle_model_DB file:
    descr_skeleton:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

type MTW2_breunor_Slow_Javelin
    reference_points siege_engines/UnitModelsRefPoints/Javelin_Ref_Point.modelReferencePoints
    parent MTW2_breunor_Javelin
    locomotion_table soldier
    anim default data/animations/MTW2_BreUnor/MTW2_Spear_basepose.cas

anim run data/animations/MTW2_BreUnor/MTW2_Slow_Knifeman_run.cas -fr -evt:data/animations/MTW2_BreUnor/MTW2_Fast_Knifeman_run.evt

i don't know if also this play a role in the problem..
    siege_engines/UnitModelsRefPoints/Javelin_Ref_Point.modelReferencePoints

battle model DB:
    7 breunor
    1 1
    45 unit_models/_Units/Myth/breunor_lod0.mesh 5200
    8 scotland
    57 unit_models/_Units/Myth/textures/breunor_merc.texture
    59 unit_models/_Units/Myth/textures/breunor_normal.texture
    36 unit_sprites/merc_breunor_sprite.spr
    5 turks
    5 spain
    7 hungary
    5 slave
    8 scotland
    52 unit_models/AttachmentSets/breunor_merc_diff.texture
    47 unit_models/AttachmentSets/breunor_norm.texture 0
    5 turks
    5 spain
    7 hungary
    5 slave
    4 None
    25 MTW2_breunor_Slow_Javelin
    26 MTW2_breunor_Fast_Knifeman 1
    28 MTW2_breunor_Javelin_primary 1
    26 MTW2_breunor_Knife_Primary

16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

the problem could be the reference to the animations, but i put them in the pack.dat and skeleton.dat files with the new entries in the list files.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gosho; December 20, 2015 at 03:56 PM.

Blog Entries

I'll have a look through your files as soon as I can.
    Meanwhile, I can see that the Breunor has a entry referring to the Siege Engine (siege_engines) in the descr_skeleton. That can also be the problem. That folder should be stored unpacked directly in the animation folder. I don't know why but that's how it works in my mod. If packed, I have a CTD.

I'll have a look through your files as soon as I can.
    Meanwhile, I can see that the Breunor has a entry referring to the Siege Engine (siege_engines) in the descr_skeleton. That can also be the problem. That folder should be stored unpacked directly in the animation folder. I don't know why but that's how it works in my mod. If packed, I have a CTD.
    Thank man you are my last hope i'm stucking with this problem since last year.
    I will make some test with the siege engine.
    I made a lot of test and i insert the animation of this unit, infact the game starts now.
    The problem now seems to be in the descr_skeleton and the battle_model_DB:

15:17:46.832 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    15:17:46.832 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    15:17:46.848 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    15:17:46.848 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    15:17:46.848 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    15:17:46.848 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    15:17:46.864 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    15:17:46.864 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    15:17:47.207 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/text/menu_english.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:17:47.316 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/text/expanded.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:17:47.472 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/text/diplomacy.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:17:47.597 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:17:47.831 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/text/missions.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:17:47.924 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/text/shortcut.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:17:47.956 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/preferences/keys.dat is missing
    15:17:47.956 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/preferences/keys.dat is missing
    15:17:51.076 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
    15:17:51.076 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAGE
    15:17:51.091 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
    15:17:51.122 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
    15:17:51.122 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
    15:17:51.138 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
    15:17:51.963 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/text/religions.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:17:51.983 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/text/climates.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:17:53.203 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/text/event_titles.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:17:53.233 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/text/event_strings.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:17:54.113 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/text/export_units.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:17:55.953 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 750, column 43
    missile range of 163 is impossible with projectile militia_war_arrow (max range 163)
    15:17:55.963 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 1385, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'dol_amroth_marines', used by unit 'dol amroth marines'.

15:17:55.983 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 3715, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'dwarven_crossbowmen', used by unit 'Iron Crossbowmen'.

15:17:55.983 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 3751, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'axethrowers', used by unit 'Axethrowers'.

15:17:55.993 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 4868, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'new_hobbit_archers', used by unit 'Hobbit Archers'.

15:17:55.993 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 4903, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'new_hobbit_archers', used by unit 'Bandobras Archers'.

15:17:56.023 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 7754, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'snaga_skirmishers', used by unit 'Snaga Skirmishers'.

15:17:56.033 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 8512, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'rhudaur_axemen', used by unit 'Rhudaur Axemen'.

15:17:56.043 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 10245, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'marines', used by unit 'Fyrd Axemen'.

15:17:56.053 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 10546, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'rhovanion_hunters', used by unit 'Rhovanion Hunters'.

15:17:56.063 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 12013, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'dwarven_crossbowmen', used by unit 'Iron Crossbowmen Mercs'.

15:17:56.073 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 12341, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'marines', used by unit 'Marines Mercs'.

15:17:56.083 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 13290, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'snaga_skirmishers', used by unit 'Snaga Skirmishers Mercs'.

15:17:56.083 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 13811, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'new_hobbit_archers', used by unit 'Hobbit Archers autonomy'.

15:17:56.083 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 13850, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'new_hobbit_archers', used by unit 'Bandobras Archers autonomy'.

15:17:56.093 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 14190, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'marines', used by unit 'Marines'.

15:17:56.133 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age_3_MOS/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 18186, column 48
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'breunor', used by unit 'BreUnor'.

Maybe the best thing is rewrite the skeleton entries in the desc_skeleton file, but i dont know how to do that.
    here the files:
    https://mega.nz/#!AZtiXDDK!NxnUD5HMu...-e4rSndmoeAfYg

https://mega.nz/#!JJNUjIhQ!RmlUBeQrM0Bvg-x22FW3QnZRjl05y3gjawHfd83Nx7w

thanks

Blog Entries

Well, I'm at work now but I'll have a look at your files tonight
    Meanwhile, just to get all chances on our side, can you send me a link (by PM if you prefer) where I can download the animations/skeletons (packed is fine for me), the descr_skeleton.txt, the EDU and the battle_models.modeldb of your original mod. Beside, I would also need the animations/skeletons and the descr_skeleton.txt file for the animation you want to implement (if not already done as I can't download from work).

Thanks!! here is the link with all the files:
    there are also descr_projectiles:
    https://mega.nz/#!RRMmlRDD!WOTtstXDt...k3pQpyjkMQ-Kvo

Blog Entries

Got it. I'll revert to you asap

Got it. I'll revert to you asap
    Thank you very very much!!

I would like to learn how to build the skeleton entries or insert an animation wich has parent animations in to another mod.
    The case of the brenour unit seems that i didn't add the entries in the descr_skeleton in the right way, the battlemodel_db points of the unit point some animations that probably are different in the descr_skeleton of third age mod. That are my suspicious but i could be compleatly wrong.

However thanks again!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast