Thread: [Ideas] Armenia, Cimmeria, Colchis unit suggestion thread

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Default [Ideas] Armenia, Cimmeria, Colchis unit suggestion thread

Hi Guys,

The next mod will be for Armenia, Cimmeria and Colchis and will be called the Black Seas Roster Expansion. Please post any suggestions for the roster here!
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Default Re: [Ideas] Armenia, Cimmeria, Colchis unit suggestion thread

Here's a source I found on Anceint Armenian army:

http://www.ancient-battles.com/catw/armenia.htm

suggestion:

Could you give them pikes? Something with amour like the Seleucid elite pike unit. It would also be great to give them either heavy melee or shock cavalry or some good heavy cavalry archers. I subscribed to your mod on Steam, I would love to be able to use Cimmeria heavy archers with pikes in the front and heavy cavalry to the rear!

Thx!!!!

First off, great mods. Thank you.

Second off, I'm sure others can provide you with great ideas for Armenia.
    Personally, I feel Colchis could use some love.

Their units should be a blend of greek and eastern units. They should get access to, in my mind, Phalangites but only Levy and Standard types. No elite types, since that stuff should be relegated to the Diadochi.
    But I would give them:

1) Caucasian Hillmen, who are essentially unarmoured but hardy Thureos spears. Give them 4 javelins and the ability to hold their own in close combat. Weaker than Thureos tho. This would be a great addition, I think.
    2) Caucasian Pirates, lightly armed, swift but high attack based swordsmen/axemen. They should be similar to Illyrian Raiders, and just as crappy (I guess) but without the Stalk feature. These should get their own Raiding Hemiolas too.

Furthermore, there are actually three units we can extrapolate from available from available sources that Colchis might have held. It involves some speculation, but hey, here goes.
    Back when the Achaemenid Empire was still a thing, Colchis was considered a Tributary state to the empire. It was independent, but they paid tribute in gold and soldiers to the Persians.
    The Persian military system involved different land grants being forced to supply a set type of soldier. There were three different types: Chariot based fiefs, cavalry based fiefs and archery based fiefs. These three made up the core of the persian army. The Immortals were a Persian Only-institution and made up of Nobles, so they don't apply here, and their spearmen were really just non-professional militias that were not well trained or armed.

But with the Achaemenid precedent, we can, with a little imagination, paint a picture of the Colchian army. Perhaps it was, just like the Achaemenid army which it supplied, made up these warriors fiefs. In that case, there should be a new type of Archer unit, better than the existing eastern archer (which is a levy unit), a knightly medium cavalry unit that would be partially armoured at the front, like the Achaemenid cataphracts. These should be armed with javelins and a spear/sword, as that is how the persians fought (the persians did not charge with lances) and a chariot archer unit.

Just ideas, throwing them out there. Most likely, Colchis did not supply chariots to the Achaemenids as their hilly terrain would not be very suitable for it, but their closeness to the steppes would at the very least suggest that some form of armoured cavalry would not be out of place...

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Good stuff so far guys, thank you.

Historically, Armenia had a catapract unit that used both lances and bows.

If you were to add such a unit to them, I think their charge bonus should be lower then that of regular catapracts and their ammunition and shot per minute should be lower than those of horse archers. That way you get a hybrid unit that that can fulfill 2 roles but doesn't excel at either and won't make any of the existing units obsolete.

Other than that I'm thinking another well armored unit of spearmen and swordsmen and maybe Syrian archers, since Armenia did at one point expand into Syria and could have access to warriors from that land.

Sadly, I've got nothing for Colchis, except maybe make Colchis nobles recruitable in the Grand Campaign.

For Cimmeria, I'd suggest some nomad inspired cavalry, either shock or melee. Atm, Cimmeria has truly abissmal units in those categories.

LeicsFox's Avatar Tiro

Colchis: land of the golden fleece, so a professional Greek city state military, while drawing on all the wild types in the mountains around the area

-elite light infantry (paticuaryl elite skirmishers and light spearmen/ambushers)
    -little cavalry, based in a mountainous region (perhaps limited to steppe nomad and Armenian unti types)
    - war dogs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Shepherd_Dog
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Colchis was also considered to be a wealthy land amongst the greeks. It's not unfeasible to have some kind of Greek Fortune Seeker-type unit. Essentially Auxilia Hoplites, I guess, but with the gold to buy impressive armor, but with a lower morale to reflect their mercenary status.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by johncm49 View Post
    Colchis: land of the golden fleece, so a professional Greek city state military, while drawing on all the wild types in the mountains around the area

-elite light infantry (paticuaryl elite skirmishers and light spearmen/ambushers)
    -little cavalry, based in a mountainous region (perhaps limited to steppe nomad and Armenian unti types)
    - war dogs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Shepherd_Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Colchis was also considered to be a wealthy land amongst the greeks. It's not unfeasible to have some kind of Greek Fortune Seeker-type unit. Essentially Auxilia Hoplites, I guess, but with the gold to buy impressive armor, but with a lower morale to reflect their mercenary status.
    Like it!
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

LeicsFox's Avatar Tiro

Cimmeria: basically want a core of greek-greek style anti-cavalry units, with lots of auxilla-like nomadic types

-horse archers
    -pikemen
    -native spearmen: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...an_carving.JPG
    -heavy archers
    -pirates
    -greek/nomad elite hybrid cavalry units
    -Tauri mountain units (elite skirmishers?)
    -ruled by an archon at some points, so archon guard unit?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum