Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have Game? Favorite Unit?

Default Re: Have Game? Favorite Unit?

Retinue Longbowmen. Just as devastating as crossbowmen with the addition of flaming arrows.
    Playwright. Thespian. Mathematician.

yea i love reiters, maybe for the reason that they are the only mounted gunpowder unit ( not including elephants) so its fun to ride up take a volley and ride off.

I haven't played anywhere near all the factions in campaigns or custom battles so this is just what I think right now. My favorite unit would probably have to be Italian spearman and mercenary spearmen for looks and pavise crossbowmen for being able to tear other units up.

Icon4 Re: Have Game? Favorite Unit?

I'm quite liking the Russian dismounted Dvor... 11 missile damage archers that seem to be capable of taking on 90% of the heavy inf. in this game head to head in melee. Even really tough heavy inf like the dism. christian gaurds get beaten (albeit a close fight, on very hard) by them.... without an arrow fired.

I liked the French Avengiers. Because they are capable of fighting both with a sword and with a crossbow (and still win), they can be in the style of Nap infantry.

Dismounted Boyar Sons FTW!!!!

Dismounted Boyar Sons FTW!!!!
    Hell yeah! Though i do find it rahter odd that they're exactly the same stat-wise and cost the same as the dismounted druizhina. They even use the same weapons. :hmmm:

Oh well, that just means they're both equally awesome.

Ecthelion's Avatar Great Ramen Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by scheuch13 View Post
    yea i love reiters, maybe for the reason that they are the only mounted gunpowder unit ( not including elephants) so its fun to ride up take a volley and ride off.
    Actually, there are others. The Moors have a "Camel Musketeer" unit. It has a longer range than the Reiter, less gun attack and far less melee potential. Reiters can chase them down, but it takes a long time.
    This is my signature. Isn't it awesome?

My favourites are definatly Basilisk advanced cannon, arquibusiers, and Dismounted Gothic Knights. Landschnekt pikes are decent too.

I decided to play a custom battle according to a loose interpretation of 'pike and shot' late medievil battlefield tactics.

I had 4 arquibusiers and 4 pikemen in a chequerboard formation, with pike behind and either side of musket, flanked by halberd militia and dismounted gothic Knights, with 4 Basilisk and 4 Teutonic Knights in support.

The battle, with all settings maxed, was frankly utterly amazing. Cannon shot exploding across the screen and ripping holes in the enemy formation, gunfire crackling across my front lines in waves, and the battlefield littered with smoke and explosions.

I like the Khan cavalry

dismounted norman knights, pavise crossbowman, famiglia ducale

forgot to mention broken lancers :p

Merged double post. Please use the Edit button.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; November 26, 2006 at 03:52 PM.

Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Right now, norse axemen.
    Big axes, heavily armored and fierce fighters.
    All the things you need.
    Yeah they are awesome, but too bad the norse swordsmen, which are cheaper, are ten times as good as them. Units with large weapons perform very bad since it takes time to swing their weapons and they always get interrupted while they are doing so.
    Member of S.I.N.

k_161's Avatar Miles

Camel gunners ^____^

"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I know none, and therefore I am no beast"

Janissaries, mainly the Heavy Inf and the Gunmen. I recall a game I played against my friend who was england, and how utterly devastating the janissaries were - He swore my Horse archers did the most damage, because he saw them around his knights, who quickly would be shot down practically line by line, but it was actually the gunmen.

Any type of Jannisary or heavy cavalry of any faction.

I like the ottoman archers. Great missiles, and very effective in mellee too.

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Norse War Clerics!

lawngnome's Avatar Cool as a Dry Ice.

Heavy Jan's - practically invincible in melee as long as you keep archers away... with a modest upkeep of 175 florins

Norse Archers - Strong in melee and effective from range, nice cheap balanced unit

Ottoman Infantry - The ultimate anti-archer. Long range missiles, +6 defense shield, and base attack of 11 means these guys can destroy other archers while taking minimal losses (perfect for Eastern warfare)

Voulgiers - Spearwall, Very long spears, and Armor piercing means these guys have the most bang for your buck in all of the West for front line duty (i.e. ripping those German infantry a new one)
    Under the patronage of lawngnome. Patron of lawngnome.

Tiro

Tercio pikemen rules

I like the Giant Cross crusade mercs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast