Thread: "ERROR: Setup was unable to find a valid installation of m2tw kingdoms"

xDagger's Avatar Laetus

Default "ERROR: Setup was unable to find a valid installation of m2tw kingdoms"

I use the STEAM version of m2tw and kingdoms.
    This was for 1.0

Help?

Default Re: "ERROR: Setup was unable to find a valid installation of m2tw kingdoms"

If you're getting this only *after* a previously successful install of Retrofit, it can usually be fixed by running a reg cleaner. The 1.0 installer for Retrofit uses the registry in a sort of wonky way. I've solved this problem by first trying to uninstall any previous install of Retrofit via add/remove programs, then using CCleaner or Glary Utilities to clean out any old Retrofit junk causing problems.

If you're getting this problem before a fresh install that's never been attempted, go into the game's directory and make a copy of the medieval2.exe, and rename it kingdoms.exe. (And make sure you're keeping the exe extension -- don't put ".exe" in the file name).

Default Re: "ERROR: Setup was unable to find a valid installation of m2tw kingdoms"

Quote Originally Posted by Kornstalx View Post
    If you're getting this only *after* a previously successful install of Retrofit, it can usually be fixed by running a reg cleaner. The 1.0 installer for Retrofit uses the registry in a sort of wonky way. I've solved this problem by first trying to uninstall any previous install of Retrofit via add/remove programs, then using CCleaner or Glary Utilities to clean out any old Retrofit junk causing problems.

If you're getting this problem before a fresh install that's never been attempted, go into the game's directory and make a copy of the medieval2.exe, and rename it kingdoms.exe. (And make sure you're keeping the exe extension -- don't put ".exe" in the file name).
    Thank you very much. This works!
    艾洛
    Old Fire Nation General
    Dragon of the West
    The Best Tea Maker in Ba Sing Se!

Today destiny is our friend. I know it.