Thread: A couple of questions for the modded version of the game.

Default A couple of questions for the modded version of the game.

I downloaded the COK mod and it works great in battles, the thing is amazing....but what bugs me is the lag I get on the main map and the game crashed for some reason because it said that it ran out of video memory. I have a Gigabyte 7850OC, and the game isn't very demanding. Does anyone know a way how to fix these problems?
    Cattle die, kindred die,
    Every man is mortal:
    But the good name never dies
    Of one who has done well

Havamal 76

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: A couple of questions for the modded version of the game.

Do you have the 'Load Textures on Demand' option enabled from the launcher (where you select which module to run)? Warband isn't really optimized in regards to memory use (RAM & VRAM), hence why crashes are more likely without it. It's pretty much a must if you're going to be playing mods. If you have that set and it still crashes, then how much VRAM does your 7850 have? Some mods can have a lot going on and more detailed textures/meshes/etc. which might be the cause of that as well.
    Last edited by Turkeys!; March 05, 2015 at 09:22 AM.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

ACOK 1.5 requires enormous graphical resources. Only high-end rigs can handle it...which *alas* does not include mine.
    Explored the ACOK world solo with only a few crashes...but once I started gathering a party it became unplayable, even on lowest texture/shader settings.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

You can also increase your paging file size - it did the trick for me before. And, of course, there's also the lighter version of the mod in that case, IIRC.

How does one increase paging file size?

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Here's a quick guide. Of course, don't forget to have enough free space on your hard drive (the C:, assuming that's where you Windows is), because what this basically does is that it uses that X amount of space on your HDD as a virtual memory whenever it's needed.

And here's some general advices as well.

Thanks NikeBG.

That link to "Runtime Error Fix" about forcing single threading was mind blowing...and now implemented.

Note that paging file size is 8072MB--(almost same size as my system RAM of 8GB) but I've got 200GB free space on my HDD.
    What amount should I set paging file size to?

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

I think the recommendations were generally something like twice the amount of RAM, though I'm not sure - I did that thing quite awhile ago.