Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: - INVASIO BARBARORVM III -

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: - INVASIO BARBARORVM III -

Yes, I saw it. But this model is very low not seen in the game and we seem in a hurry!
    Fix it if it is important.
    http://late-roman.ru/arheologicheski...menty-shlemov/

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

peaking of which, are there any decent reconstructions or other reference images of the Maas helmet around? Even the late-roman.ru catalogue is a bit sparse regarding this helmet (there's only a single picture, depicting the helmet from the front).
    No, it's not even named after the place it was claimed to have been found at, which was in a field near Venlo (it's not a provenanced find although probably authentic). Honestly the reconstructed fragments on the edge probably belong underneath where the central ridge would have been.

If I had to guess based on images of the fragments, the helmet was silvered except for the central ridge and the crest, which were gilded.

Never heard of El-Haditha, just looked it up. I'll have to ask around for the paper on it.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius
    Submitted password to access the directory in PM:
    http://late-roman.ru/arheologicheskiy-katalog/
    \Гребневой "Kammhelm" \El-Haditha

grif's Avatar Semisalis

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Fixed Chi-Rho!
    Let's exchange!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Those helmets aren't historially accurate.

1. All of the Intercisa-type helmets had a complete earhole, except the Worms helmet which had a 1/2 base ring.

2. The back of the metal crest should be shaped more like this, the abrupt cutoff on the Intercisa-IV is because that area was broken and the helmet was incorrectly reconstructed. However, unlike this one, metal crests are always one piece of sheet metal that is attached via "tabs" that fit into slots on the ridge of the helmet (this crest is three pieces)

Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; December 23, 2016 at 09:08 AM.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Those helmets are vanilla, I believe. Only the crests and the Chi-Rho are custom-made in those pictures.

Myself, I modelled the crest after the Pustelak version of the Intercisa (I believe the helmet in that picture is from Pustelak?). Though it has to be said that my "Maas helmet" is more of a pseudo-Maas, since I mixed in stuff from several helmets in it (not sure if we'll end up using that helmet). Anyway, I also did a version of the Iatrus with Augsburg-style decoration and the crest+chi-rho as a separate piece (fitted to the Iatrus). A few pics:

Pseudo-Maas:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maas Side.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	342329

Augsburg:

Name:	Augsburg Close.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	342330

Augsburg w/Crest:

Name:	Augs with Crest.png 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	342332

Chi-Rho close-up:

Name:	ChiRho Close.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	252.2 KB 
ID:	342331

Although the textures on that crest are somewhat WIP (the Chi-Rho piece obviously needs a bit more work, and also the rivets have just been textured the same as the rest). I'll probably revisit this when I feel like doing more texturing. Right now I've moved on to modelling the Concesti as well as few others of similar design. Basically the plan is to have a decorative version and a plain version of both 4-piece and 2-piece ridge helmets. Atm I'm planning to use the bowl of the Burgh Castle helmet as the "plain version" of the 4-piece ridge helmet, and Heteny as the decorative version of the 2-piece helmet.

@griff:
    Like I've mentioned before, the helmets are not yet in a finished state (and it will probably be until January at least before I apply the finishing touches). Again, I'm afraid you will just have to be patient. I'll contact you once I'm finished with the Iatrus, but again, it will be at least several weeks before I get to that stage.
    Last edited by Charerg; December 23, 2016 at 09:49 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

grif's Avatar Semisalis

The back of the metal crest should be shaped more like this, the abrupt cutoff on the Intercisa-IV is because that area was broken and the helmet was incorrectly reconstructed
    Created on Koblenz :
    http://late-roman.ru/data/imagegalle...cef4e0e7aa.jpg
    helmets are vanilla

Charerg
    Ok

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

In the case of the Coblenz it goes all the way down to the end of the ridge, which is my point exactly.

At Charerg: why does the "Pseudo-Maas" not have a ridge? The only one of these helmets found without a ridge was the Budapest.

The Maas helmet reconstruction is terrible, don't follow it. It was a normal Intercisa type helmet, that weird bandhelm configuration they gave it is totally made up.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    In the case of the Coblenz it goes all the way down to the end of the ridge, which is my point exactly.

At Charerg: why does the "Pseudo-Maas" not have a ridge? The only one of these helmets found without a ridge was the Budapest.

The Maas helmet reconstruction is terrible, don't follow it. It was a normal Intercisa type helmet, that weird bandhelm configuration they gave it is totally made up.
    The Pseudo-Maas is loosely based on one of the Intercisa helmets (see spoiler), as well as the Pustelak Intercisa. And yeah, I figured out the Maas helmet was a bit of a lost cause, so I kind of just threw something in there. It's unlikely that helmet will end up in-game (I'll probably just use the Augsburg variant instead, along with various versions of the Iatrus).

The Intercisa I mentioned:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Charerg; December 23, 2016 at 01:37 PM.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Worms ready.
    - Yet no backdrop and cheeks

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Ok, it's been a while, but I finally finished the ridge helmets (apart from some minor changes, like adjusting the textures). One detail that could use some input is the attachment of the neckguard. I noticed there are basically two different methods that are used in reconstructions, one attaches the guard below the bowl, as in here (I used this method):

Burgh back:

Name:	Burgh Back.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	342668

Heteny back:

Name:	Heteny Back.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	342669

Concesti back:

Name:	Concesti Back.png 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	342670

And the second method attaches the neckguard above the bowl, like here:

This method is also used in CAs helmets:

Name:	CA Ridge helmet back.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	577.1 KB 
ID:	342671

As you'll note I didn't really texture the strap holding the neckguard in a very detailed fashion, so this is one of those details which may be revisited. Apart from that caveat, here are the rest of the pics:

Burgh Front:

Name:	Burgh Front.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	523.9 KB 
ID:	342672

The Burgh helmet I have to admit I'm not quite happy with. I was going for a very "clean" look but I think I somewhat overdid it. The helmet could definitely use more texture (also, the iron is too bright). I gave it a bronze noseguard based on the other ridge helmets (of the Burgh helmet itself, only the bowl was preserved), but I have to say I'm not sure if that fits with the otherwise iron helmet. Oh, and the rivets are supposed to be brass, in case you're wondering (again, they're not quite what I was aiming for, mostly because the reflections are way too sharp).

Heteny Front:

Name:	Heteny Front.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	415.5 KB 
ID:	342673

Heteny Side:

Name:	Heteny Side.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	342674

Concesti Front:

Name:	Concesti Front.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	342675

Concesti Side:

Name:	Concesti Side.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	306.3 KB 
ID:	342676

So, I guess that's the Roman helmets mostly done, apart from the iron version of the Iatrus and some other minor stuff (like the fin crests). Although I guess an iron version of the 2-piece bowl helmet might be added, but I'm not sure which helmet should I use as a basis. I guess one of the Koblenz helmets, but with a Berkasovo/Heteny type closed side plates instead of Koblenz-style "ear cover" side plates. Based on the Iatrus and the Concesti, I've made the assumption that "open ear" designs in general seem to have fallen out of use during the 5th century, and this is why I've decided not to model any helmets that have that feature. Although interestingly, the Concesti helmet seems to have lacked the side plates of the earlier helmets altogether.
    Last edited by Charerg; January 05, 2017 at 06:37 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The buckle method for attaching the neckguard is found on a lot of the Berkasovo-Style Helmets, but not all.

Burgh Castle should have a simple iron nasal.

Don't worry about making the iron dull, that's a common misconception. These helmets were polished to a mirror image, we have finds of armor that was polished so much it was paper thin.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Very nice job!
    About Worms I mistranslated. Mean historical model. Soon to be the reconstruction for the mod.
    ----------
    P.S. Further not often will be able to follow your theme, write in our theme or PM if you need me.
    Last edited by grif; January 06, 2017 at 11:10 AM.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by grif View Post
    Nice work on the new helmets!

I've taken a bit of a break from modelling since completing the latest ridge helmets, so no new progress on my part. However, I plan to start with finishing the Iatrus when I get back to modelling, so we can make the planned exchange of models.

grif's Avatar Semisalis

Charerg
    Yes, of course! Rest is also needed! Will notify when ready. I think we will do another 1 helmet soon.

Brivime's Avatar Ordinarius

Great work guys! I look forward to this.

Stealth4Health's Avatar Civis

I didn't check this thread for some time now and I have to say I am impressed! How did I not know this was already in progress? Nice work on the models, especially since you only started a few months ago. I happened to create a new late Roman shield model a week ago and recently uploaded it on Steam Workshop. If you want to use it feel free to do so:

(Chi Rho is just a placeholder)

Spoiler for Some renders

Last edited by Stealth4Health; March 13, 2017 at 05:52 PM.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Thanks for the praise Stealth, I'll definitely take a look at that shield (when I have the time)!

For the moment, I've been a bit busy with real life stuff (as well as other hobby projects), but the project is still definitely being worked on (or will be worked on once I manage to find the time for it), just having a bit of a quiet period.