Default Re: - INVASIO BARBARORVM III -

Is this still being worked on?

Such a shame to see the only historically accurate models go to waste

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The guys here have been kind of sort of making models on and off but it hasn't really progressed much. None of us have the time to commit.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I am now happy to announce that we are back in business and making some progress. We have partnered with members of the TWC Attila modding community including the Judex Rex team to bring historically accurate late Roman and Germanic armies to the Attila experience.

Any news or preview about this exciting project?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Very soon we'll start previewing things in development. Waiting on something to be approved.

Great, that's what I wanted to read

Just read the FAQ, just want to say the potential of this mod looks amazing and I'm eager to hear more. I love TW: Attila's period and it doesn't get enough love from the mod scene. It'll be a tough pick between this and FOTE when this mod is more fleshed out, though FOTE has a skeleton crew.

Love FOTE but our mod is going to be a properly historically accurate mod, they pretty much use all the wrong models and myths of vanilla and the mainstream view of this time period.

This will be the first time many of you guys see what actual Romans, Germans and Huns of the 5th century looked like according to the most up to date research and its probably not going to fit in with what you expect.

I myself have been genuinely surprised by what I've learned working on this project and its what makes it so exciting for me to work on.
    Last edited by Athos187; September 15, 2019 at 09:21 AM.

Would it be possible to list the sources (both primary and secundary) that you are using to conceive the units. I ask because aetius said that you are using the latest research and im very much interested in it. Thanks

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I have a library of literally over 1000 PDF files as well as my own personal library of around one hundred books on the 5th century. Much of it is really technical stuff, and expensive to acquire. If there's something particular you'd like to know about, I can give you recommendations, but otherwise your question is too broad.

Also some of that latest research is my own. *Cough* https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-...rdback/p/15699 *Cough*

Thanks for the answer, I am currently interested in the equipment and units the Roman Army would have fielded after the loss of the African Provinces of 439 and its slow decay due to loss of tax revenue, with the aim of seeing its differences with army at the beginning of the 5th century.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The army would have been smaller and they would have used slightly different belt fittings. Viminacium-type brooches would have started coming into use and swords would have been mostly of the Osterburken-Kemathen type with U-chapes rather than Illerup-Wyhl's with Gundremmingen type chapes which were common up until about 410 (Although both of those remained in use). Spiculum shafts were shorter and the heads were usually of the Veum-type. There was no real decline in quality. Some scholars will disagree with me on that, as they're in Liebeschuetz' camp, but I'm of the opinion that the Roman army remained strong and very high quality until the D2/D3 divide.

You'd start seeing a noticeable difference after 455 moreso than 442.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; September 17, 2019 at 09:33 AM.

I cannot wait for this,

Still I have not found a true historically accurate mod for Attila, especially for the Sassanid faction.

I hope you guys are still on the works,

Do you accept donations ? support to make this project happen !!

I remember INVASIO BARBARORVM On Rome 1 or Rome, Barbarian invasion, Best I have ever played.

Keep us updated !

Ya were hard at work. Sassanids wont be in the mod until later on when we do an overhaul for the main grand campaign. The first version of the mod will take place on the AOC campaign map.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thanks for your offer. If our programmers or artists have Patreon, etc., please feel free to support their work.

However, Our mod does not take donations. Many creators do and that is only fair that they should want to be valued for this work, but my understanding is that it is against the Terms of Service for most licensed games to accept money for altering their product.

Ya he is actually working on our project, that helmet is a bit late for our time period but he is modelling lots of other really useful stuff for us! We are also working on a historically accurate preview of a proper comitatensis soldier for all of you so get ready for a taste of how amazing this mod is going to be.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Correct, the helmet from Deir El Medinah is most likely a derivative of the Leiden/Novae-type Spangenhelm, which dates from approximately 580 to the mid-700's AD (some of the examples found in the Balkans, namely Sinj, are believed to have been manufactured in the Exarchate of Ravenna in the 700's). It is extremely unlikely based on the particulars of its construction that the helmet from Deir el Medinah dates to before the Justinianic period.

How about the progress? Will we have any news for christmas day?