Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Hellenika - Main thread

Default Re: Hellenika - Main thread

Quote Originally Posted by Phalangitis View Post
    Massicio this bug is the only reason i havent sent your BETA yet. Hopefully today- tomorrow will be fixed and then i can sent your "prize"..
    No worries take your time !!

Autaritus's Avatar Libertus

I have been playing Total War series games since the first MTW was released, so I can say I have tried a good amount of modifications and overhauls during all these years. Some of them had a very historically accurate roster and excellent battle system, others offered a deep and realistic campaign experience, and I also came up to some mods that were simply funny to play without trying to be fully historical. Well, after following the developement of Hellenika, I am almost completely sure that this will be the mod where all these features -historical accuracy, complexity and playability- will meet. From what I read in the previews, I specially like the way that economy, society and warfare interact in the campaign gameplay -the exact way they did in the Greek polis- and the battle system adapting to the game the particularities of hoplite warfare and the problems of field command for the ancient generals. I know it's kind of risky to say this before I have even tried it, but it's evident that there is a lot of work, intelligence, creativity and -allow me to be a bit cheesy here lol- love for the Ancient World behind Hellenika. I'm longing for confirming these expectations by playing the mod but it's ok not hurrying in the release, I believe: better a longer wait for a finished and round product than an early release that possibly needs patches and updates.

Thanks to the whole Hellenika team. Keep up the good work!

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Thoughts:

a) the WoS map, would be great for a Trojan War mod.

b) How great would it be if we had a "Rise of the Hoplite" mod (bronze age vs Dorians) and "Fall of the Hoplite" (where hoplite fighting style is becoming obsolete - enter thureophoroi) - I feel like playing Shogun 2

Thanks Autaritus that is our aim and sole focus. From what i experienced till now with many, many , many hours of testing is that probably this marriage (historicity and inovative gameplay) is doable after all and i think tha Hellenika provides this experience. As for the release it is so close we can smell it . Thankfully during this latest beta phase we did not face any serious setbacks and all our correcting job was text hunting..This (last minute bugs) is the most decisive factor influencing release time and i think we are doing well.

Autaritus- thsnks for the kind words my friend.
    Hop. Of Ilis- hoplite warfare never became obsolete.it was replaced as a main force due to the expensive thru we and the cheaper the lighter troops were ( thureos and pikes) considering also that the battle were more numerous

Quote Originally Posted by Autaritus View Post
    I have been playing Total War series games since the first MTW was released, so I can say I have tried a good amount of modifications and overhauls during all these years. Some of them had a very historically accurate roster and excellent battle system, others offered a deep and realistic campaign experience, and I also came up to some mods that were simply funny to play without trying to be fully historical. Well, after following the developement of Hellenika, I am almost completely sure that this will be the mod where all these features -historical accuracy, complexity and playability- will meet. From what I read in the previews, I specially like the way that economy, society and warfare interact in the campaign gameplay -the exact way they did in the Greek polis- and the battle system adapting to the game the particularities of hoplite warfare and the problems of field command for the ancient generals. I know it's kind of risky to say this before I have even tried it, but it's evident that there is a lot of work, intelligence, creativity and -allow me to be a bit cheesy here lol- love for the Ancient World behind Hellenika. I'm longing for confirming these expectations by playing the mod but it's ok not hurrying in the release, I believe: better a longer wait for a finished and round product than an early release that possibly needs patches and updates.

Thanks to the whole Hellenika team. Keep up the good work!
    The time of waiting is over!
    Very soon, you will bw able to check it out!

@Lampis, indeed the Trojan war is a good idea.. I think it fits for the Age of broze team..

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by M@x1mus View Post
    The time of waiting is over!
    Very soon, you will bw able to check it out!

@Lampis, indeed the Trojan war is a good idea.. I think it fits for the Age of broze team..
    Yeah, seen their mod. But I think they utilize the main campaign map.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Yeah, seen their mod. But I think they utilize the main campaign map.
    Yeah, we are using the main map, but I absolutely plan on making a WoS submod for AoB sometime in the future.

The issue is, it's gonna have the same level of accuracy as regular AoB(if not higher), so it likely won't end up being the Trojan War most people think of.

Bronze Age Grecian warfare didn't even have hoplites. It was all pikemen(sorta) and archers back then. Not to mention chariots, sweet sweet chariots....ooooh baby.
    Last edited by Dontfearme22; March 17, 2016 at 04:57 PM.

I guess 1-2 weeks. According to internal final test. All other development aspects are finished

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I guess 1-2 weeks. According to internal final test. All other development aspects are finished
    But I want it now! D:

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    Bronze Age Grecian warfare didn't even have hoplites. It was all pikemen(sorta) and archers back then. Not to mention chariots, sweet sweet chariots....ooooh baby.
    From my understanding, "hoplite" is derived from "hoplon", which refers to the soldier's weapons and equipment. Soldiers in the Bronze Age had weapons and equipment, so how would calling them "hoplites" be wrong?

Hoplite is not only the weapon (hoplon) bearet . It is also a specific kind of troops with specific behaviour in battle and specific socio-economic status. So yes the name derives from there but only can be used to describe troops functioning with the specific hoplitic role

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Hoplite is not only the weapon (hoplon) bearet . It is also a specific kind of troops with specific behaviour in battle and specific socio-economic status. So yes the name derives from there but only can be used to describe troops functioning with the specific hoplitic role
    Bingo, Mycenaean warfare was fundamentally different. It focused on lightly armored infantry and skirmishers with forces of expensive chariot elites that harried each other, sorta similar to most other Bronze Age palatial states.

West_'s Avatar Laetus

Made an account just to say, really looking forward to this. The work you guys have put in is amazing, and I'm sure this will show in the released mod

Wow this is flattering. Thanks. We are working hard guys to make it worth it and make you enjoy many hours in our world.

An update on release date. We had a goal to release this week. We had a request from 2 colaborators to postpone the release a bit until 2 parallel projects are completed.
    1 ) Hoplite of Ilis is making a seemingly great music submod. He is almost ready . He went and recorded some of his own musical creations and he is waiting the sound result from the studio. If it is acceptable he will need only few days to implement those into a unique for Hellenika submod. If the sound is not that good he will choose other musical pieces. In any case this is a matter of few days only.
    2 ) There is another very talanted person that is making a machinima for Hellenika and said that he will probably need a week or so to complete it. It would not be nice from us to bypass him and release without his work. It would be disrespectful from our part i think.
    So as you can see the cake is done and we only have to do with the placing of the cherries on top.
    We all waited for this day more than a year so please let us wait also for these tasks to be concluded.
    Cheers to all!

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

An update on release date. We had a goal to release this week. We had a request from 2 colaborators to postpone the release a bit until 2 parallel projects are completed.
    1 ) Hoplite of Ilis is making a seemingly great music submod. He is almost ready . He went and recorded some of his own musical creations and he is waiting the sound result from the studio. If it is acceptable he will need only few days to implement those into a unique for Hellenika submod. If the sound is not that good he will choose other musical pieces. In any case this is a matter of few days only.
    2 ) There is another very talanted person that is making a machinima for Hellenika and said that he will probably need a week or so to complete it. It would not be nice from us to bypass him and release without his work. It would be disrespectful from our part i think.
    So as you can see the cake is done and we only have to do with the placing of the cherries on top.
    We all waited for this day more than a year so please let us wait also for these tasks to be concluded.
    Cheers to all!

GAHHHHHHH!! I cant wait! Thanks for the update Phalangitis, I just got a novel about Gylippus and I am no gonna pick it up until this mod comes out! (I know Syracuse is not in this mod but I already read Tides of war and a novel of Brasidas)

You guys are great keep it up!
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Quote Originally Posted by legio_XX View Post
    GAHHHHHHH!! I cant wait! Thanks for the update Phalangitis, I just got a novel about Gylippus and I am no gonna pick it up until this mod comes out! (I know Syracuse is not in this mod but I already read Tides of war and a novel of Brasidas)

You guys are great keep it up!
    Can you name the books? Also, I can recommend you one. Song of Wrath: The Peloponnesian War Begins. The best book of (the first part of) the Peloponnesian war I've read. It's superb, truly a gem.

We have managed to bring Sicily to life indirectly.. Sicilian expedition happens in the historic time for Athens with severe consequences if not taken precautionary measures.. Also as Sparta you can send Gylippus to Sicily causing troubles for the Athenian Ai player.. (you will see at the specific faction techs)

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Alekho View Post
    Can you name the books? Also, I can recommend you one. Song of Wrath: The Peloponnesian War Begins. The best book of (the first part of) the Peloponnesian war I've read. It's superb, truly a gem.

http://www.amazon.com/Nemesis-Sparta...words=Gylippus

Im adding Song of wrath to my cart! I warn you the books are a little Hollywood. The first book was good but it tried too hard to make brasidas's antagonist a evil veil creature instead of the man he was. I am not a fan of making Athens or Sparta Good or bad, To me that war was very gray instead of black and white. That said it was still a fun book.
    Last edited by legio_XX; March 21, 2016 at 11:21 PM.
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Thanks! And which book about Brasidas did you read?