Thread: Attila - Total War: FAQ, help & tips.

Icon5 Attila - Total War: FAQ, help & tips.

Hey,

Are we all enjoying the new total war?
    I know i am. But to be honest, there are somethings that are not clear to me.
    So i'm a bit confused about some aspects of this new installation.
    And i'm not the only one.

Anyway: I think it would be a good idea to make one thread that collects all the questions/guides/video's so people dont have to make a single thread for 1 question.
    Keeping it clean and organized, so in the long run, if you forget something you can easily find it back.
    Plz feel free to add more questions/answers.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Video guides:

- Politics:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Totalwarzone View Post
    That is actually my video. For the ones who are interested, here is the stuff in text:

Main Screen:

Families: All the characters in the family tree (in the middle of the political screen) are your family members. All the characters on the left side are characters from other families. Your family is represented as yellow in the bars on the top, other families are red.

Political Power: This is the main bar in the middle of the screen. A lot of people tend to want this be as high as possible but that’s not how it works in Attila. Both very high and low political power give huge negative effects. I recommend everyone to keep your political power as balanced as possible. Political power is determined by both your dominion and control. The average of these 2 bars form your political power.

Dominion: This is the amount of influence your family members have in total versus the amount of influence other characters have. Example: Family member 1 has 10 influence, member 2 has 20 influence, member 3 had 20 influence. Other characters 1 has 20 influence and other character 2 has 80 influence: Your family: 50, Other families: 100. Your domination = 25%. (Math ftw)

Control: Control is determined by your succes in politics. Your total control will increase when your political actions succeed. Your control will decrease when your political actions fail. As said, these 2 bars form your political power and you should balance them out as much as possible.

Character Details:

Age: The first number you see when you click on a character is his age. Easy as that.
    Influence: This is the most important number, the characters influence. Influence is gained by being succesful in your empire (general must win battles for example, statesmen gain influence overtime.). There are also a lot of traits and skills that increase influence. Influence forms your dominion and is also used to “buy” political actions.

Loyalty: Keep this as high as possible. When loyalty hits 1 the character will rebel, and you will have to defeat him in battle.

Females: Females do also gain influence for your family, they can use political actions and they have a unique trait.

Political Actions

Assassinate: Use this to immediately get rid of a character. This can be useful to affect dominion. (the total amount of influence.)

Secure loyalty: Immediately increase a characters loyalty with a couple of points to prevent rebellions from happening.

Arrange marriages: Can only be used by female characters. You are able to marry characters from other families. This will get them into your family.

Divorce: Handy to get rid of a bad trait the wive gained.

Seek wife: Your character will seek a wife. This will give you a new character with influence, political actions and a unique trait.

Diminish popularity: Immediately lower a characters influence.

Adopt: Get a member of other families into your family.

Embezzle funds: Grab free money from the war-chest.

Gather support: Immediately increase control. (often with 10%)

HOWEVER: Political actions are being paid with influence. You are basically investing to get greater benefits. Actions can both fail and succeed. If you succeed you will carry out the action, and you will get more control. If you fail, you need to either pay with more influence, or you won’t carry out the action at all. This will also lower your control.

Offices
    The different offices will basically give some free benefits for a character, including a number of influence per turn. There are special requirements to be able to get an office.

The point of politics is to use your political actions to balance out dominion (influence vs influence) and control (succes of political actions). Just try to do some actions every once in a while and you will get the hang of it eventually.

FAQ:
    - How do you obtain higher tier fighting units?

- Whats the best food incame (farming? Goats? Cattle?)

- There are a lot of family members in your family tree, but only 2 of them are actually ingame on the campaign map, where are all those others?

- Best way to equip a settlement:
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    The local debuff due to shortage is -1 to PO and -25% to all types of wealth from buildings. That latter part is what is hurtful. So, yes, food surplus seems a must in all taxed provinces.

The overall plan might be very different depending on what faction you pick. Romans, for example, have rather centralized military recruitment (in terms of building types). Barbarians, on the other hand, get troops from everywhere. Which means you need all building types if you want the whole roster. This also means that turtling in a minor region for a long time is not sustainable. You'll need other regions to get all troop types.

One tip for province development: go for the market chain province capital building as soon as possible. The building allows one to train spies. Agents are very powerful and needed in the game. This brings me to another point: spies and priests seem to be available only from buildings built in province capitals. This means: until you get hold one region of that type you wont be able to train priests and spies. This holds for the barbarians. I am not sure about Romans, etc.

- Which tech tree is more important than the other?
    Civil techt tree > Military tech tree.
    Cause with decent civil workings, you wont be able to get your armies. There fore making the military tech tree useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    It seems, the unit upkeep is there by design. See what Bart CA says here:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ame./page10#99

Basically, it feels, you should forget about military tech until the civil tech is maxed out. Otherwise you won't be able to afford armies.
    Last edited by EternalSilence; February 21, 2015 at 05:20 AM.

DavidG's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Attila - Total War: FAQ, help & tips.

Thanks for posting this video - very useful!
    Cheers

Default Re: Attila - Total War: FAQ, help & tips.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSilence View Post
    Dominion: This is the amount of influence your family members have in total versus the amount of influence other characters have. Example: Family member 1 has 10 influence, member 2 has 20 influence, member 3 had 20 influence. Other characters 1 has 20 influence and other character 2 has 80 influence: Your family: 50, Other families: 100. Your domination = 25%. (Math ftw)
    Yeah I quite like maths too, but I do it slightly differently...

Is 25% a mistake in arithmetic? If not how do you get it? I would have thought it would be 50 / (50 + 100) = 33%