Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask and Answer all about Campaign AI stuff

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

Default Ask and Answer all about Campaign AI stuff

Here the forum where you can ask or answer people question regarding campaign AI modifying stuff. So if you hit wall when you try tinkering with AI feel free to ask around, if i or other people know the answer and have time to reply your question regarding detail of the stuff. We will do it.

In mean time each time a specific question is answered i will merged into one tidy place some sort of tutorial. So you guys can read all the answer and dont need ask the same question over and over again. Thank you
    Last edited by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze; May 15, 2015 at 04:11 PM.
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Default Re: Ask and Answer all about Campaign AI stuff

I guess I'll be the 1st again

So the question is, how can we balance (lower) the AI's artillery accuracy?
    They are ridiculously too accurate especially for Hard and higher difficulty (Especially ships)

Our units fighting right (melee combat), then they aim my guys, let's say okay, but hey they neither hit their units nor miss hitting my guys.

Result: Losing all units against the units I outnumbered, by only 3 artillery ships that all of them only have 1 onager.

- - - -

2nd question, removing AI's Zone of Control by-pass ability (cheat to be more precise ), is it possible yet?
    Last edited by SharpEyed; April 23, 2015 at 12:54 PM.

So the question is, how can we balance (lower) the AI's artillery accuracy?
    They are ridiculously too accurate especially for Hard and higher difficulty (Especially ships)
    Hmm its more BAI things but i think its located somewhere on kv_rule, but on what exact location, i realy dont know, try to find word that related with accuracy .

2nd question, removing AI's Zone of Control by-pass ability (cheat to be more precise ), is it possible yet?
    While editing zone of control you can tinkering in campaign_variable, but for removing by pass feature, its more like a bug from game itself, i doubt we as modder can do anything for that, Vanilla update every month may fix it eventually.
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass

Quote Originally Posted by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze View Post
    Hmm its more BAI things but i think its located somewhere on kv_rule, but on what exact location, i realy dont know, try to find word that related with accuracy .
    hmm I should look myself some time then, also difficulty effects on that, might find on handicaps table too

While editing zone of control you can tinkering in campaign_variable, but for removing by pass feature, its more like a bug from game itself, i doubt we as modder can do anything for that, Vanilla update every month may fix it eventually.
    ah yea changing zone of control disable negative effects for player too (and yeah i know it's place, already have it decreased by Radious), but most likely it's a bug as u said, next update should be near anyway, let's see.

- - - - - -

Idk why AI so obssessed with Raiding stance, especially when a province been desolated. (It's a vanilla issue..)
    I get it if a faction already strong, but what about new emerged faction that needs a lot armies to stand against a lot possible enemies..
    Last edited by SharpEyed; April 23, 2015 at 05:25 PM.

No question from me, just thanks for the mention in the credits. I will continue my work.

Good luck mate, perhaps someday you can convert your work into lets play comparison video in youtube

i think mod should have an in-game logo but who can

I haven't much edited the Attila CAI yet, but I was wondering what you've found with hordes. Specifically, whether you think there's a good way to keep some of them static. It would be a huge help for my overhaul as I can fill in some of the weak spots on the map with them, but I can't have the Aetolians migrating into Italy or something. I've also been told that scripts impact horde behavior a bit, but could be wrong on that.

And congratulations on the forum and the success of your great mod (as well as giving our mod permission to make use of your Rome 2 version). Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    I've also been told that scripts impact horde behavior a bit, but could be wrong on that.
    Well can't answer other things as I have no idea about them, but script for AI Huns is effecting them I believe.
    Because I've read a lot comments, watched some gameplay videos and they go to WRE after Attila takes the charge, more specifically northern Italy, unless something stops them in their way.

About other migrating factions (Hordic factions) I think they are just randomly settling, thou Goths mostly taking south Italy and some Balkan regions.

Quote Originally Posted by SharpEyed View Post
    i think mod should have an in-game logo but who can
    If the mod have in game logo its will also overwrite other mods in game logo as well. Less conflict always good for me

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    I haven't much edited the Attila CAI yet, but I was wondering what you've found with hordes. Specifically, whether you think there's a good way to keep some of them static. It would be a huge help for my overhaul as I can fill in some of the weak spots on the map with them, but I can't have the Aetolians migrating into Italy or something. I've also been told that scripts impact horde behavior a bit, but could be wrong on that.

And congratulations on the forum and the success of your great mod (as well as giving our mod permission to make use of your Rome 2 version). Much appreciated.
    First you must decribe , what your mean with "Static", if you say, xxx faction never expand just defense his original spot, then yes i can do that. About mod permission while true some of rome 2 AI core code still work and do the trick in Attila, most of it already die due new AI engine upgrade. If not i dont need to work my ass for lots of month and released (Attila version begin with 2.3 now 3.5, 12 x update)

Attila AI and Rome 2 AI may share same structure but most of the core is very different beast. Its more compleks.

And congratulations on the forum and the success of your great mod
    Thanks , its just simple mod that tweak AI nothing special at all, compare your work with port all faction prior original rome 2 back into map, mine is quite pale comparission in term of mod size

If the mod have in game logo its will also overwrite other mods in game logo as well. Less conflict always good for me
    Well idk how logo stuff is working with db so I will say "if you say so"

Quote Originally Posted by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze
    Thanks , its just simple mod that tweak AI nothing special at all, compare your work with port all faction prior original rome 2 back into map, mine is quite pale comparison in term of mod size
    woo woo stop right there.. no need to be this modest/humble

I mean if AI tweak was that simple why no1 else is doing... (well as far as I know at least)

not underestimating other mods of course but mod size doesnt mean everything
    And if AI is sucky, there is no point of playing, neither having fun..

First you must decribe , what your mean with "Static", if you say, xxx faction never expand just defense his original spot, then yes i can do that.
    Yes. My goal would be to create certain horde factions that are settled with their settlements serving as substitute cities in a few areas of the map that are weak (Greece). Good to see the idea is possible and workable.

We will definitely be doing unique CAI for Attila. Just wanted to thank you for the Rome 2 permission (hadn't talked to you about Attila, not to the point of CAI there yet).

Thanks , its just simple mod that tweak AI nothing special at all, compare your work with port all faction prior original rome 2 back into map, mine is quite pale comparission in term of mod size
    Challenging in different ways, but the CAI is obviously essential work, as you know.

Well good luck with project, i just simple fans that waiting somebody do the dirty job to port rome faction so i can sit tight and play with Attila engine , will be fun looking sparta razing Athena city

I kind of miss somebody yell things like this, especially in the game:sparta:

Wonder how much effect these type of things make (these just examples)

Click to view content: 

Its you set everything zero enough to make ai turn into coma state. That AI core part now i working, quite complicated right

The part of problem is, after you make a change you cant simply see the effect first, Building AI core logic, like building rubic cube , its interesting yet also stressfull.Because we even dont know what we change make positive or negative without proper field test which consumed lots of time to be done, just couple of variable. You can count how many variable in AI core logic that needed to be tested.

You also need to have some basic idea, or hypotesis how new AI concept will work. If like solve rubic cube, you must try to predict, if i go left 3 times, righ 2 times, below one time i get zzz on xxx spot. If you start random you get random result. if you luck its work better then before, if not its just do worse.

That the bitter and sweet truth modding AI, that why most modder give up , on AI part because he realized so many times wasted just to make simple proper test for couple variable which they even dont know will its work or not.

Its more easy waiting somebody do AI job and they can enjoy or copy his work

Its like fixing your car friend and ask him "Did its work yet ?" "Nope" said his friend
    Last edited by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze; May 03, 2015 at 11:37 AM.

Its you set everything zero enough to make ai turn into coma state. That AI core part now i working, quite complicated right

The part of problem is, after you make a change you cant simply see the effect first, Building AI core logic, like building rubic cube , its interesting yet also stressfull.Because we even dont know what we change make positive or negative without proper field test which consumed lots of time to be done, just couple of variable. You can count how many variable in AI core logic that needed to be tested.

You also need to have some basic idea, or hypotesis how new AI concept will work. If like solve rubic cube, you must try to predict, if i go left 3 times, righ 2 times, below one time i get zzz on xxx spot. If you start random you get random result. if you luck its work better then before, if not its just do worse.

That the bitter and sweet truth modding AI, that why most modder give up , on AI part because he realized so many times wasted just to make simple proper test for couple variable which they even dont know will its work or not.
    Yea there are too many variables, some for defensive, some for agressive etc etc, those were just examples as u know..
    And yep it's hard to know and test what's gonna happen or how much effect they will do..
    For that much tests my patience and pc not good enough (excuses! )

That's why I keep saying u deserve better and ppl should appreciate& admire you more, for you do harder and more patience required work than most of the modders.

Quote Originally Posted by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze
    Its more easy waiting somebody do AI job and they can enjoy or copy his work

Its like fixing your car friend and ask him "Did its work yet ?" "Nope" said his friend
    Well.. Sorry to be like that.. But I'm not qualified enough to work on this crazy AI stuff, thou I will try my best to help you still.

And I always wish you to have a friend (at least) to work with but it's not easy to find a suitable person, well as u said most will give up at the half way anyway.
    Last edited by SharpEyed; May 03, 2015 at 12:04 PM.

Dont worry you can help me by report any bug you encoutered during your new campaign for next beta, or perhaps you can make lets play video if you are youtuber artist.

Even simple support comment like this already lifted up modder spirit, and that was already more then enough for me

Interesting to see this in campaign variables (your mod doesnt have it), but still having it before 5th fame level, do you think this might cause some bugs?
    civil_war_minimum_fame_level_required 5

so should we think of decreasing it?
    Last edited by SharpEyed; May 08, 2015 at 08:37 PM.

Well I've found the script location in the data.pack:

Never edited a LUA file for total war before, only in dawn of war. I'll take a poke at it after dinner.

I presume each line corrisponds to the difficulty with line one being easy and the last line being Legendary. I'm guessing if I increase those numbers it should just increase the maxium number of hordes the computer spawns for the Huns. Makes sense to up them a little now the Hun hordes are more spread out, and their AI enemies actually defend themselves now.
    Last edited by the herald; May 09, 2015 at 01:07 PM.

Why fonts seem so small anyway? I guess it's about resolution.

Might be about image upload site, did u try using tinypic?
    And if u could use spoiler codes, would be great mate

- - - -

For your observation, hmm I guess you are right, idk if there are another related values for those on another table but don't think so
    Last edited by SharpEyed; May 09, 2015 at 01:21 PM.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast