Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Authentic Faction Names

Default Re: Authentic Faction Names

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    Abasgia: those ones you found seem to refer to the people, "Abasgians" I think would be the translation of those. Also they're modern, aren't they? I'm having trouble finding them myself. Have a link?
    Here's the Wiktionary link, showing the use of Old Georgian and predecessors. I wasn't sure if you were using "people" or "place," so I used the former. Modern Georgian for the place is Apxazeti/Apkhazeti, but Wiktionary doesn't give an older version.
    Lazica: Okay, I think I can use this one. Wikipedia isn't terribly clear on it though, and I would like a better source, but what can you do?
    FWIW, I've seen Egrisi in some other places. It appears that Lazica/Lazika was the Byzantine name, Egrisi was the Kartvelian/Georgian name.
    Nobatia: Again, this one refers to "Nobatians." "Noubadia," which wikipedia tells me is the Old Nubian, might work better though. Then again, that language doesn't fit for this time period. Might just leave it as-is then.
    Yeah, wasn't sure if you were going for people or place on that.

Also you should've posted this earlier while I was working on the mod today. Now I have to go back through my new version and edit it.
    Heh, I just updated Authentic City Names yesterday to fix a table-naming issue, but got caught up in doing some research for the new DLC factions, so I know the feeling.

Yeah, I've generally tried to follow CA's convention as far as people/place with the faction names. There are a few where I've changed it I think, but only when I had to (because I could only find it one way). But if you think some make more sense one way than the other, I could change them.

One more, if you haven't gotten too far in changing it:

Sclaveni: Sloviene (technically, it's Proto-Slavic for "Slavs," but then again, so is Sclaveni)

EDIT: Alternately, you could use it for the faction group name, and keep Sclaveni for the tribe name.
    Last edited by zombieflanders; February 28, 2016 at 08:03 AM.

Yeah, I've been debating what to do with that one. Your edit suggestion is what I've done for now, since I can't find the tribe names in any languages but Greek or Latin anyway. The trouble again comes in the Latin version of the mod, where the Slavic faction group and the Sclaveni faction will indeed have the same name, but I assume most people using the Latin version are playing a Roman faction anyway.

EDIT: Oh by the way, does anyone want to test if changing Himyar's faction name still messes up save games? You never know; maybe the patch fixed that.
    Last edited by Augustusng; February 28, 2016 at 09:18 AM.

And... updated for the Slavic Nations DLC. A few changes and additions included as well, marked in the OP in bold as always.

EDIT: Quick fix to Roman political parties in the endonym version. Don't want to make a new post just for that.
    Last edited by Augustusng; March 05, 2016 at 02:10 PM.

Okay, so I have to post after all. Updated to fix some separatist faction names in both versions of the mod.

Update to the endonym version: changed some political party names, thanks to Charerg and the IB3 team.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

You're doing really good, keep it up!

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

I guess I should add that Gothic for "East" would be Austra rathern than Ostro (compare to the Carolingian province Austrasia, or English "eastern"). Also, I can't tell with certainty what the Gothic equivalent for "Vesi" would have been, but probably either Weiha (holy, sacred) or Weisa (Wise), the latter is usually considered to have been the root for the Latin term Visi/Vesi. In any case, the letter "V" wasn't used in the Gothic alphabet.

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    I guess I should add that Gothic for "East" would be Austra rathern than Ostro (compare to the Carolingian province Austrasia, or English "eastern"). Also, I can't tell with certainty what the Gothic equivalent for "Vesi" would have been, but probably either Weiha (holy, sacred) or Weisa (Wise), the latter is usually considered to have been the root for the Latin term Visi/Vesi. In any case, the letter "V" wasn't used in the Gothic alphabet.
    Well I guess I have to update the mod again now... thanks!

Update to both versions.

Endonym version gets those changes Charerg suggested for the Goths, + a change for the Alans and a few new political parties.

Latin version just gets a couple of new political parties.

Hello. The mod doesn't work me. The new names are in the .pack file if I look through the PFM program. But when I start the game becomes all in Spanish language. Someone has tried it in Total War: Attila with another language that is not English?

Hmmm... I think this mod might have to be organized differently for a non-English version of the game. Of course, if you change your game language to English, it should work, but that's not ideal. I'll see if I can do something about it.

It would be normal it use first the mod contents, although they have some English phrases, but not cancel all texts of a mod.

I don't know if there's a way to fix this for non-English versions except remaking the mod with that language's localisation.pack. That should probably work.

Also I've updated both versions, just one change each. In the endonym version, I've replaced/renamed the Magyars with the Onogurs. Neither is really great, but I think this works better. For the Latin version, I've renamed them to the Ungri.

Yes, in my mini-mod (spanish version), I had to add all game texts and modify the file "localisation.loc"

Sample:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Well, I'm afraid you might have to change the Gothic dynasty names (again).

Some new info has surfaced on the correct spelling of those (thanks to Tryggvi), and they should be as follows:

Amalingos
    Balthingos
    Hasdingos
    Lethingos
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

Yeah, I saw that conversation. Good work with all those unit names, by the way, and thanks again for these fixes.

Updated the endonym version with those Gothic dynasty name changes above.

Tryggvi's Avatar Libertus

Ostrogoths – Austra Gut-þiuda
    Visigoths - Weisa Gut-þiuda
    There is no need to use hyphens. They're used in dictionaries only to show compound words.
    As for the first words, the whole issue with Gothic tribal names reconstruction is so disputable that I don't question it. However, the used forms are just unclear. What are they? Nouns? Adjectives? Singular? Plural? They should have some additional affixes.
    I guess, it would be better to create compound words. In this case, Austragutþiuda and Weisagutþiuda. That would mean 'people of Austraguts' and 'people of Weisaguts' in Gothic. I also don't question, whether they could call themselves so.
    There is also an opportunity to use the word for Goths - guta (sg), gutans (pl). Then, there would be Austragutans and Weisagutans.
    Last edited by Tryggvi; March 26, 2016 at 09:32 AM.