Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Authentic Faction Names

Default Re: Authentic Faction Names

Quote Originally Posted by Delicate Strawberry View Post
    Very nice once again!

For Dál Riata this is where Dál Riata is, so maybe whatever you had for the Picts in GC, but with Kingdom attached? Although I could also be wrong.
    Well, I could use "Qritani" again for the Picts, but that term probably doesn't fit them anymore, given the length of time. There are a few other names that might work for them though...
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieZleeping View Post
    No need for any Old Norse "Kindom of" since the vikings never used that term. Denmark was just called Danmǫrk during that time, so call it that.
    Okay, fair enough. I'll just keep it "Danir" then so I don't have to change it

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Alright then

Update: Added (hopefully) kingdom names for TLR and AoC. Also changed a few AoC names (found better names for the Irish and Picts). When I say "hopefully," I mean that I've found what I think are the kingdom names in campaign_localised_strings.loc, and changed those. Thanks to ZombieZleeping for the Viking one! The only one I'm still missing is the Avar Khaganate, because I can't find any sources for it at all. Maybe I need to start searching in other languages...

A couple potential additions for the GC political parties in the endonym version:

Franks - Salians
    Vandals - Hasdingi
    Langobards - Lethings
    Sassanids - Sas(s)anids (since the faction is now the Eranshahr, using the ruling dynasty makes sense)

Great, thanks! I'll update the mod with those soon. Should've thought of the Sassanid one myself.

You don't happen to have any information for other "parties" for some of those (except the Sassanids, we've got those already), do you? It's something I'll be looking into for EP, when we add the house/tribe traits for more factions.

Actually, I've been using some of them as possible entries for my WIP separatist submod (as opposed to others that use subjugated/hostile tribes). The ones I've based off of other "parties" are:

Franks - Ripuarians
    Lakhmids - Banu Nasr
    Vandals - Silingi
    Visigoths - Thervingi

I also would have used Greuthungi for the Ostrogoths, but that's not likely as long as there's already a Greuthungi faction.

Okay, cool. That should give us a start with those factions. And yeah, I still don't quite know what to do with the Greuthungi. There's that idea to rename that faction to the Tetraxitae, but that doesn't quite fit either.

Updated both versions of the mod to include a few more political parties (based on zombieflanders' suggestions mostly).

I've also removed Himyar's name entry from the endonym version, as including that entry messes with save game names for whatever reason. Not a problem on most difficulty levels since you can rename your save, but it breaks legendary saves, so that's gone for now.

Just wondering, what are the "political parties" supposed to be in the game? Ruling dynasty?

Yes, it's what shows up on the family tree screen. I started including that because the faction name shows up on that screen normally, so I had to change it anyway.

Then why not name the political party for the Romans Theodosii or Domus Theodosiana (Theodosian dynasty)?

That's a good question... slipped my mind, I guess. I'll make sure to have something like that in the next update, and maybe some others that I haven't added yet. Is domus the right term for that though? That means "house," sure, but hmmm... I think there was something else the Romans used for this sort of thing.

Not sure what the Romans used to call their dynasty, so I can't help you with that. I can however as usual help with some Germanic names.

Perhaps Gens Flavia works best here? Especially this:
    During the later period of the Empire, the name Flavius frequently descended from one emperor to another, beginning with Constantius, the father of Constantine the Great. The name became so ubiquitous that it was sometimes treated as a praenomen, to the extent of being regularly abbreviated Fl., and it is even described as a praenomen in some sources, although it was never truly used as a personal name. The last emperor to take the name was eastern emperor Constantine IV.

Yes, that's it. Gens is the word. Thanks!

Ah, Gens! How could I forget? Most emperors after Constantius used the name Flavius (Flavius ... Constantinus) for example. I think Flavia would fit perfectly in Attila.
    By the way, I have started reading a bit about the Germanic tribes and I will try to find the ruling clans, but remember, most of it is legendary.
    Last edited by Eldgrimr; February 12, 2016 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieZleeping View Post
    By the way, I have started reading a bit about the Germanic tribes and I will try to find the ruling clans, but remember, most of it is legendary.
    What would you suggest for the other nobles/chiefs/etc? I've just got "Þinga" right now. I'm also trying to come up with councils for other factions:

Wuzurgban - Sassanids
    Consistorum - WRE
    Viri clarissimi et illustres - ERE
    Shuyukh - Arabian factions
    Shmagalewoc - Axum

I think that Þinga would be the most realistic thing to do. It's very similar to the modern "ting" in Scandinavia. Þinga is basically the Proto Germanic name for it.

A couple more suggestions:

Abasgia: Apxazebi/Apkhazebi or Abazx-ebi/Abazkh-ebi (from Wiktionary)
    Lazica: Egrisi or Lazika-Egrisi (from Wikipedia)
    Nobatia: Nobotae

Okay, thanks!

Although... I'm not totally sure about all of them.

Abasgia: those ones you found seem to refer to the people, "Abasgians" I think would be the translation of those. Also they're modern, aren't they? I'm having trouble finding them myself. Have a link?
    Lazica: Okay, I think I can use this one. Wikipedia isn't terribly clear on it though, and I would like a better source, but what can you do?
    Nobatia: Again, this one refers to "Nobatians." "Noubadia," which wikipedia tells me is the Old Nubian, might work better though. Then again, that language doesn't fit for this time period. Might just leave it as-is then.

Also you should've posted this earlier while I was working on the mod today. Now I have to go back through my new version and edit it.