Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Authentic Faction Names

Default Re: Authentic Faction Names

Miercna rīce = Kingdom of Mercia.
    Westseaxna rīce = Kingdom of Wessex
    Cantaware Rīce = Kingdom of Kent
    Norþhymbra rīce = Kingdom of Northumbria.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    Antes (or Antae maybe?) is the correct Latin actually. But I'm specifically looking for advice for the Charlemagne factions and the White Huns, if anyone has thoughts on those. The easy thing to do for some of the kingdoms in the Charlemagne DLC is Latin, like I did for TLR, but I don't think that works as well.
    Why latin , they were Slavs.

Foederatus

or ..maybe i didnt understand whats going on, you trying to name all faction by names of their languages? or all in latin language?

Both. There are two versions of the mod. If you have a source for ancient Slavic languages, I can use that... but that's probably impossible to find. I'm not going to give them a name in a modern Slavic language unless there's no other option I can find (and we have ancient Latin and Greek sources for them, so I'd rather use those).

If this dictionary (PDF) of Old High German is correct, the Frankish Kingdom would just be Francia. The Asturians would probably just be using Latin, so Regnum Asturorum should be fine. Danes would probably still be Danir, I guess?

Thanks for that dictionary, that could be useful. And Francia is the same in Latin as well, though I'll have to come up with something to differentiate Charlemagne's faction from Carloman's.

And yep, I think I'll use Danir for the Danes. Makes more sense in this time period than the Attila campaign anyway.

Oh, and I do have a link to an Anglo-Saxon dictionary somewhere for the British factions, but of course epic_fail's suggestions above are in that language. Maybe from the same source too, so that works.
    Last edited by Augustusng; December 09, 2015 at 07:59 AM.

I think the Historical Immersion Project team for Crusader Kings II would have a pretty good source for most if not all of the AoC factions, although their mod only covers 867 and later. When I get a chance, I'll fire up a game and see what they've come up with.

Also, I'm not sure why there's "taifas," since those were post-Emirate titles. C'mon CA! My suggestion would be to either rename the Emirate to "al-Andalus" and give the "taifas" individual Emirate names, or to keep the Emirate name and use "wilayah" (or something similar for the smaller factions. We do, at least, have Arabic names for those: Barcelona->Barshiluna, Toledo->Tulaytula(h), Valencia->Balansiyya, and Zaragoza->Saraqusta.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

I'm not good with modifying files, so I just wanna ask for some help here. When I started up the new DLC, I noticed that Charlemagne's in game name was the modernised French/English name Charlemagne, instead of his Frankish name Karl.
    I really wanna change his name to Karl, but I don't what files to edit. Help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Eldgrimr; December 10, 2015 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieZleeping View Post
    I'm not good with modifying files, so I just wanna ask for some help here. When I started up the new DLC, I noticed that Charlemagne's in game name was the modernised French/English name Charlemagne, instead of his Frankish name Karl.
    I really wanna change his name to Karl, but I don't what files to edit. Help would be appreciated.
    This is located in your localization pack (local_en.pack for the English version), under text->db->names. That's where names for all characters are (except scripted characters like Attila, the Ollam Ri, and Ybor - those are in the historical_characters table).

This is located in your localization pack (local_en.pack for the English version), under text->db->names. That's where names for all characters are (except scripted characters like Attila, the Ollam Ri, and Ybor - those are in the historical_characters table).
    Augustusng, thanks for the modding tip. Looking forward to your update. I tried to make a change to the name charlemagne to test in the local_en.pack file as you mentioned, but it would not take effect in game. Are all faction leaders found in this table? If I wanted to change the family tree names of charlemagne, where would these entries be found? Regards.

You'll have to save it as a mod, otherwise it won't save.

For some reason, when I create a modded local_en file, the launcher crashes everytime I tick or untick a mod, so I have to remove it.
    EDIT: Nevermind, it crashes when I tick a mod anyway, so doesn't happen because of the modded file.
    Last edited by Eldgrimr; December 11, 2015 at 04:01 PM.

I have done some research the last few months, and I bring some news on the Nordic factions.
    The Old Norse language did not exist during the 5th century, during that time the Scandinavians spoke a northern dialect of Proto-Germanic.
    In summary, none of the 3 Nordic factions have the correct names.
    Augustusng, I understand if it will be too much for you to edit, but if you plan on doing it, here are the real Proto-Germanic names for the Nords:

Geats = Gautōz
    Danes = Danīz
    Jutes = Eutōz

If you plan on changing it, bear in mind that the Danes in AOC should still have the Old Norse name.

Thanks for that. I know that Old Norse didn't exist back then, but I couldn't find any proto-Germanic sources for them. I'll be updating this mod... in a few days. A week or so probably. I don't have a lot of time right now, and it'll take a little while to research this stuff.

By the way, do you have a good source you can link me for that proto-Germanic stuff? Could help for some other factions too.

Thanks for that. I know that Old Norse didn't exist back then, but I couldn't find any proto-Germanic sources for them. I'll be updating this mod... in a few days. A week or so probably. I don't have a lot of time right now, and it'll take a little while to research this stuff.

By the way, do you have a good source you can link me for that proto-Germanic stuff? Could help for some other factions too.
    Here are the Gaelic names for some of the Irish factions. Just a note that I think this is "modern" Gaelic, so I don't know how much use it will be:

Muster = Rìoghachd An Mhumhain
    Leinster = Rìoghachd Laighin
    Connacht = Rìoghachd Connacht

Aliech = Rìoghachd Ailech
    Ulaidh = Rìoghachd Ulaidh

I'm afraid that most of the sources I used were in Swedish, so they won't be much use for you, but I'll continue looking.

Updated for the Charlemagne DLC and White Huns update. Huge thanks to all of you who helped with the names!

But even with that help, there's a lot that I just couldn't find. Plenty of the names I used are... debatable, to say the least. Sources on the Internet for Old Welsh are extremely thin, for example. All the details are in the OP if you want to check.

Very nice once again!

For Dál Riata this is where Dál Riata is, so maybe whatever you had for the Picts in GC, but with Kingdom attached? Although I could also be wrong.
    The guy who used to test DeI and FotE on Mac.

No need for any Old Norse "Kindom of" since the vikings never used that term. Denmark was just called Danmǫrk during that time, so call it that.