Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Authentic Faction Names

Default Re: Authentic Faction Names

So how would a roman name for a provincial region be suitable for a separatist faction? The entire point is that if they are SEPARATISTS, they would not call themselves a province of the Roman Empire. If they are created by a non-roman faction, this point would be even more obvious. Name a diocese that was not part of the roman empire. This is not the Crisis of the Third century. This is the breaking up of the empire.
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    So how would a roman name for a provincial region be suitable for a separatist faction? The entire point is that if they are SEPARATISTS, they would not call themselves a province of the Roman Empire. If they are created by a non-roman faction, this point would be even more obvious. Name a diocese that was not part of the roman empire. This is not the Crisis of the Third century. This is the breaking up of the empire.
    Because it's the only name I've found that makes any sense, as all the existing emergent factions correspond with a diocese. It's certainly better than Concilium or Exarchate.

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    Can we not do this demanding tone thing here? You already came into the thread bragging about how horrible this one minor aspect was that it actually prevented you from downloading the mod, which is really rude; getting fighty with the modder's very polite, well-reasoned, and sourced response just makes things worse. You could have easily made the changes you wanted in PFM in less time than it took to write your comments (which is what I did for ranks/titles), made more constructive criticisms, and left both yourself and Augustusng happier people.
    Last edited by zombieflanders; June 29, 2015 at 08:18 AM.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

I see that you have been having trouble with the Jutes, fortunately I live in Sweden and have studied pretty much Old Norse, and I can tell you for certain that Jutes in Old Norse is Jótar.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieZleeping View Post
    I see that you have been having trouble with the Jutes, fortunately I live in Sweden and have studied pretty much Old Norse, and I can tell you for certain that Jutes in Old Norse is Jótar.
    Thank you! I really couldn't find this, though I managed to find the Old Norse names for the other Norse factions. Guess it helps when you can actually read Old Norse. I'll add this to the next version of the mod, along with some faction names for the Last Roman campaign.

Update - I've added preliminary versions of faction names for the Last Roman Campaign to both versions of the mod. Let me know what you think. I've kept all the playable factions in Latin for both versions of the mod, since most/all of these factions were using Latin in an official capacity by this point.

I should also note that since I don't actually have a copy of the Last Roman yet, I can't check whether the names are correctly applied in-game. I'll rely on feedback here for that.
    Last edited by Augustusng; July 01, 2015 at 07:47 PM.

Updated for the Empires of Sand DLC. I couldn't find a good source for the Tanukhid faction name, but for the endonyms I've gone with "Tanukh" for now, as that appears to be the Arabic, and for the Latin, I've gone with "Saraceni" - the only Roman sources I could find that might refer to the Tanukhids only mention them as "Saraceni."

Also I don't have a good name for their faction group. Let me know if you can think of something.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

A third-century inscription from Umm al-Jimal in Jordan, .reads `This is the tomb of Fihr, son of Shullai, the tutor of Gadhimat, the king of Tanukh' (the translation of Littmann, PAES 4.A, 38). See as well on this, Sartre, Trois etudes, 134; Isaac, Limits, 239.in Greek the key part is 'Η στήλη αυτη Φέρου Σαλλαου Γαδιμθου Βασιλέυς Θανουηνων

Cool, maybe I can Latinize that, or at least start looking for something like that in Latin.

Playing as Mamlakat Himyar, savegame names are all jumbled together and you can't save unless you rename.

Quote Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
    Playing as Mamlakat Himyar, savegame names are all jumbled together and you can't save unless you rename.
    The names are affecting the savegames? First time I hear something like that. I've played a few campaigns with this mod myself, with no issues like that. Could be something with the new DLC I guess, but hmmm...

Yeah, it's weird, my last game was as the ERE, and I never ran into this problem. I even tried clearing out old savegames. Anyway, here's a screenshot:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That is bizarre. Want to try with just that faction name reverted to normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    That is bizarre. Want to try with just that faction name reverted to normal?
    Same problem (modified just the name entries in PFM), I can see that it's just "Himyar," but it's still garbled and mixed up with the date. I also tried the other DLC factions, and the WRE just to see if it was a length issue, but they all look fine.

Suggestion for the endonym version: names for separatist factions derived from lesser clans, conquered tribes local to the faction's origin/capital, or alternate names. I'm thinking here of the Silingi (Vandals), Saba/Hadhramaut (Himyar), Thervingi (Visigoths), Ripuarii (Franks), and Blemmyes (Nobatia), just to name a few. I think it would add a lot of flavor and it definitely removes even more English names from the list.

It's a good idea, but I might leave that sort of thing to be part of my bigger overhaul, Europa Perdita (could maybe even flesh out a few of those some more). Maybe some could work as part of this smaller mod though...

So a question for anyone interested. I'm of course going to be updating this mod for the Charlemagne DLC and the White Huns in a few days. Any suggestions for any of those faction names? I'll start researching this myself soon, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate them. Especially for the White Huns/Hephtalites... just from a cursory google search, I've noticed that there are about a dozen different names that could work for them. I'll have to narrow that down.

Quote Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
    Suggestion for the endonym version: names for separatist factions derived from lesser clans, conquered tribes local to the faction's origin/capital, or alternate names. I'm thinking here of the Silingi (Vandals), Saba/Hadhramaut (Himyar), Thervingi (Visigoths), Ripuarii (Franks), and Blemmyes (Nobatia), just to name a few. I think it would add a lot of flavor and it definitely removes even more English names from the list.
    Also something like this might end up being part of EP, but in a slightly different form. I'll let you know once we've got something more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    So a question for anyone interested. I'm of course going to be updating this mod for the Charlemagne DLC and the White Huns in a few days. Any suggestions for any of those faction names? I'll start researching this myself soon, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate them. Especially for the White Huns/Hephtalites... just from a cursory google search, I've noticed that there are about a dozen different names that could work for them. I'll have to narrow that down.

Also something like this might end up being part of EP, but in a slightly different form. I'll let you know once we've got something more specific.
    Regnum Caroli/Francia Caroli/Francia occidentalis/regnum Francorum occidentalium

rep please.
    Last edited by Cope; December 07, 2015 at 02:27 AM.

Foederatus

Anteans - Anti, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Hater01 View Post
    Anteans - Anti, probably.
    Antes (or Antae maybe?) is the correct Latin actually. But I'm specifically looking for advice for the Charlemagne factions and the White Huns, if anyone has thoughts on those. The easy thing to do for some of the kingdoms in the Charlemagne DLC is Latin, like I did for TLR, but I don't think that works as well.