Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Authentic Faction Names

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Authentic Faction Names

I understand that it might be too much waste of time to change the name, so I'm just wondering, is there some easy way for me to edit the name?
    I like everything except the Roman names, I guess it's my aspergers, everything has to be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieZleeping View Post
    I understand that it might be too much waste of time to change the name, so I'm just wondering, is there some easy way for me to edit the name?
    I like everything except the Roman names, I guess it's my aspergers, everything has to be perfect.
    Yes, it's easy. Open the mod in PFM and simply change the appropriate entries - name entries as well as those "you are attacking/defending" messages.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Thanks, man, you're the best! I'm never gonna stop using this.

Just got A:TW, and I was really happy to see work like this already well-advanced. Will you (or anyone else) be working on unit names like the native versions used in DeI? It's really weird that CA was inspired by it for unit naming, but opted to go for a kind of half-assed mishmash of native names and English/Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
    Just got A:TW, and I was really happy to see work like this already well-advanced. Will you (or anyone else) be working on unit names like the native versions used in DeI? It's really weird that CA was inspired by it for unit naming, but opted to go for a kind of half-assed mishmash of native names and English/Latin.
    Yes, there's already been some work on unit names - I know at least for FotE, most Roman units are getting renamed. Unit names generally require a bit more research than the faction names, but I'm not sure I even want to try that unless there's work to change some faction's unit rosters as well.

The Iron Chancellor's Avatar Civis

Ave,

I spent a few minutes making a little sub-mod for Augustusng's wonderful overhaul. It is primarily designed for campaigns that have lasted longer and are consequently lacking one of the Roman factions: it simply names the Western Roman Empire as "Imperium Romanum" and the Eastern Roman Empire as "Basileia Romaion". I know that, strictly speaking, Basileia Romaion isn't historically accurate for the time period as the Eastern Empire still maintained Latin as the official court language for some time, however my intent was to convey something of the unique culture of the Eastern half.

I originally made it for personal use, but thought to upload it here so that others may enjoy it. Further, I've simply modified Augustusng's original Latin_Pack file as when I tried to make a separate pack file, it overwrote all other messages and faction names. If someone could help, I'd gladly make a separate file so as not to compromise the integrity of Augustusng's work. It's sheer amateurism at work, I'm afraid. Therefore, any help to this aim would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: If this practice is against the forum rules or Augustusng's wishes, I shall remove the attached file at once.

Rome_Stands_Alone.rar
    Last edited by The Iron Chancellor; May 04, 2015 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Chancellor View Post
    Ave,

I spent a few minutes making a little sub-mod for Augustusng's wonderful overhaul. It is primarily designed for campaigns that have lasted longer and are consequently lacking one of the Roman factions: it simply names the Western Roman Empire as "Imperium Romanum" and the Eastern Roman Empire as "Basileia Romaion". I know that, strictly speaking, Basileia Romaion isn't historically accurate for the time period as the Eastern Empire still maintained Latin as the official court language for some time, however my intent was to convey something of the unique culture of the Eastern half.

I originally made it for personal use, but thought to upload it here so that others may enjoy it. Further, I've simply modified Augustusng's original Latin_Pack file as when I tried to make a separate pack file, it overwrote all other messages and faction names. If someone could help, I'd gladly make a separate file so as not to compromise the integrity of Augustusng's work. It's sheer amateurism at work, I'm afraid. Therefore, any help to this aim would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: If this practice is against the forum rules or Augustusng's wishes, I shall remove the attached file at once.

Rome_Stands_Alone.rar
    Nope, not against the rules nor my wishes. Go ahead. Also, what you should do to make this kind of submod, if you don't want to copy my whole mod for just one change, take just the lines you need, delete the rest of the table, and rename it. That makes it a fragment. If you then load your mod above mine in the mod manager, it should overwrite only those lines you want to change. Though this doesn't seem to always work with the factions.loc for some unknown reason (compare my endonym mod to the Latin one). So maybe you have to do it the way you did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    Nope, not against the rules nor my wishes. Go ahead. Also, what you should do to make this kind of submod, if you don't want to copy my whole mod for just one change, take just the lines you need, delete the rest of the table, and rename it. That makes it a fragment. If you then load your mod above mine in the mod manager, it should overwrite only those lines you want to change. Though this doesn't seem to always work with the factions.loc for some unknown reason (compare my endonym mod to the Latin one). So maybe you have to do it the way you did it.
    Thank you

As to the mod itself, I did create a pack.file with only the lines pertaining to the Romans through the factions.loc and factionsgrouping.loc with the rest deleted. I had loaded my mod above yours through the Mod Manager, but only the Roman faction names appeared - all the others had gone blank. It's a bit perplexing!

It's very perplexing. I had the same issue when I was updating these mods after the Celts patch. The endonym one works as a fragment, but for whatever reason, the Latin one does not.

Ave,

Rome_Stands_Alone.rar
    Is there any chance of an endonym version of this? I said this on another post and forgot it wasn't the main thread... haha

Quote Originally Posted by Delicate Strawberry View Post
    Is there any chance of an endonym version of this? I said this on another post and forgot it wasn't the main thread... haha
    Sure. However, it'll have to wait until I return from Budapest.

Great, thanks. That is a perfectly valid reason.

You'll probably have to cut down the scope, because it looks like a lot of the terms (wife/husband, general/admiral/governor, etc) are universal, so replacing it for one faction replaces it for all. As far as I can tell, it's really only the ministerial ranks and council names that can be changed on a per-faction basis. It's either that or make individual submods for each faction (or at least each culture and/or religion).

EDIT: Also, the engine seems to have a problem with accented characters. For instance, the Sassanid emperor can't use "Shāhanshāh," but instead has to simply use "Shahanshah."
    Last edited by zombieflanders; May 11, 2015 at 09:03 PM.

I apologise for the delay, but here is my sub-mod for Augustusng's Authentic Faction Names mod. Included is both a Latin and Endonym version!

Edit: Both the East and Western Roman Empires have been renamed: Imperium Romanum. I dropped the latin form of Basileia ton Rhomaion.

Rome Stands Alone.rar
    "Diversity in counsel, unity in command."
    - Cyrus the Great

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I think the OP should name the Eastern Empires to "Imperia Orientalia" instead of "Regna Orientalia". Why? Because Romans may have thought no empire was greater than theirs but we are not Romans are we? Sassanid Empire was similarly large, wealthier, and they too were a real empire.

Making it a lower title just locks the game to a perspective of one single faction, which is just stupid to me. Please change it, or make it optional.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    I think the OP should name the Eastern Empires to "Imperia Orientalia" instead of "Regna Orientalia". Why? Because Romans may have thought no empire was greater than theirs but we are not Romans are we? Sassanid Empire was similarly large, wealthier, and they too were a real empire.

Making it a lower title just locks the game to a perspective of one single faction, which is just stupid to me. Please change it, or make it optional.
    Find me an appropriate name in Old (or Middle?) Persian and I'll change it. In Latin, I see no reason to change it. Otherwise you can change that yourself if it really bothers you - it's just one line in the mod.

Latin version updated so it doesn't crash with the new patch. I haven't changed any of the Last Roman faction names yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    Latin version updated so it doesn't crash with the new patch. I haven't changed any of the Last Roman faction names yet though.
    Thank you very much Augustusng. Looking forward to any changes you might make for the LR.

I came here for an update, which I see has happened since I last checked. Thing is I wont be dl'ing it because I dont agree with some of the names. Separatist Factions like Britain should not be called Diocese Britanianum. That's just a -religious-provincial name, and doesnt reflect the historical situation of the collapse of the WRE, nor a situation where a region has separated from the central rulership. It also doenst consider the (very likely) chance that these factions appear due to non-roman influence (therefore non-latin christian). Go for Concilium Britanniae rather, as it was briefly referred to during the "Arthurian period". Dioceses are not going to separate from the centralised church of Rome, are they? Then they wouldn't be a diocese! So there's not much point in having a separatist faction for them.
    You should instead go for a term like Exarchate (meaning independent governorship). See Exarchate of Ravenna, Exarchate of Bulgaria, Exarchate of Africa etc etc
    Last edited by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠; June 27, 2015 at 09:36 PM.
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    I came here for an update, which I see has happened since I last checked. Thing is I wont be dl'ing it because I dont agree with some of the names. Separatist Factions like Britain should not be called Diocese Britanianum. That's just a -religious-provincial name, and doesnt reflect the historical situation of the collapse of the WRE, nor a situation where a region has separated from the central rulership. It also doenst consider the (very likely) chance that these factions appear due to non-roman influence (therefore non-latin christian). Go for Concilium Britanniae rather, as it was briefly referred to during the "Arthurian period". Dioceses are not going to separate from the centralised church of Rome, are they? Then they wouldn't be a diocese! So there's not much point in having a separatist faction for them.
    You should instead go for a term like Exarchate (meaning independent governorship). See Exarchate of Ravenna, Exarchate of Bulgaria, Exarchate of Africa etc etc
    Diocese doesn't mean what you think it means. These were administrative regions - not religious in nature - created under Diocletian's reign, and they seem to correspond the best to the various emergent factions. Later on as the Empire collapsed, diocese came to have a religious meaning. But not yet. Exarchate doesn't even come into use until after this period - it would fit it the Last Roman campaign perhaps.