Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Authentic Faction Names

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Authentic Faction Names

Brilliant! Thanks.

Update - new version is up. I've made those changes I mentioned a few posts ago, along with a few others.

In addition, there's now a second, all-Latin version for when you're playing as the Romans and can't be bothered to learn what the barbarians call themselves.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Good stuff the Latin one is very good, even the Germanic kingdoms would issue decrees in Latin eventually

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Very Nice...
    +Rep

Cheers

I downloaded Latin version, very nice, although the Romans would not of referred to the Sassanid's as well Sassanid, but rather Persae. So perhaps Regnum Persae is better? But your Latin is better ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Antiochus Philopappos View Post
    I downloaded Latin version, very nice, although the Romans would not of referred to the Sassanid's as well Sassanid, but rather Persae. So perhaps Regnum Persae is better? But your Latin is better ...
    You might be right about that. I did find them referred to as Sassanids, but by later sources. It's likely a word invented after the fact. I guess I'll change that then (to "Regnum Persarum"), but that leaves the other Eastern dynasties with probably the same issue. I could probably change the Afrighids to "Chorasmia," which is almost certainly better than the current name I have for them, but I still can't find a proper ancient source for the Ghassanids or Lakhmids.

Is it possible to make it work with non-english version of game?

Quote Originally Posted by okoyk View Post
    Is it possible to make it work with non-english version of game?
    Sure, it should probably already work, but the rebel and separatist faction names are still in English until I figure out what to do with them. You can just delete those entries from the .pack file with PFM though, and you should be fine.

EDIT: You'll also run into problems with the "you are attacking" messages, since those are in English. Again, either delete them from the pack or translate that into whatever language.
    Last edited by Augustusng; February 24, 2015 at 11:26 AM.

Is it possible to rename the faction on the family tree page? I noticed that with the Eastern Roman Empire it was still the default on that screen, but not everywhere else. If it is possible it would only need to be the playable factions at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicate Strawberry View Post
    Is it possible to rename the faction on the family tree page? I noticed that with the Eastern Roman Empire it was still the default on that screen, but not everywhere else. If it is possible it would only need to be the playable factions at least.
    Hmmm. That might be in a different table somewhere. I'll take a look.

EDIT: Aha, found it. It's the political_parties table. I'll fix that soon.

For now, I've updated the Latin version with changes to Sassanids and Afrighids.

Updated to fix the faction names on politics screen. Thanks for catching that!

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    Sure, it should probably already work, but the rebel and separatist faction names are still in English until I figure out what to do with them. You can just delete those entries from the .pack file with PFM though, and you should be fine.

EDIT: You'll also run into problems with the "you are attacking" messages, since those are in English. Again, either delete them from the pack or translate that into whatever language.
    It doesn't work, at least with polish version. Maybe it's because local_pl.pack have only localisation.loc file containing the whole localisation, while your mod changes factions.loc and faction_groups.loc. Anyway, I'll try to make it work.

Updated to fix the faction names on politics screen. Thanks for catching that!
    Awesome.

Excellent, I will search through some sources see if I can find any references

Sassanids: Ērānshahr
    Parthian: Ashkāniān
    Last edited by Rostam_e_Iran; February 24, 2015 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by okoyk View Post
    It doesn't work, at least with polish version. Maybe it's because local_pl.pack have only localisation.loc file containing the whole localisation, while your mod changes factions.loc and faction_groups.loc. Anyway, I'll try to make it work.
    Ah, that would be why. Yeah, this might not work with the localized versions then. You might be able to put my changes all into one table (deleting the ones you don't need), and renaming that table... or extracting the localisation.loc and replacing each entry manually to make that localized version.

Quote Originally Posted by Rostam_e_Iran View Post
    Sassanids: Ērānshahr
    Parthian: Ashkāniān
    I've already included Eranshahr for the Sassanids. I guess Parthia is still in the game... but Ashkanian refers to the Arsacid dynasty, right, not Parthia in general? Wouldn't that be something like "Parthava?" I might add that in. The Arsacids are gone by Attila's time period, but maybe I could add that into DeI for Rome 2 as the IA Parthia faction name...

Update: Fixed Longbeards DLC political parties and missing names for Longbeards DLC civil war factions (by making the factions table a fragment).

EDIT: Oh, I'm also thinking of renaming the Visigoths and Ostrogoths to Tervingi and Greuthungi... but then I need a new name for the existing Greuthungi. Any ideas/thoughts?
    Last edited by Augustusng; March 11, 2015 at 09:05 PM.

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Update: Fixed Longbeards DLC political parties and missing names for Longbeards DLC civil war factions (by making the factions table a fragment).

EDIT: Oh, I'm also thinking of renaming the Visigoths and Ostrogoths to Tervingi and Greuthungi... but then I need a new name for the existing Greuthungi. Any ideas/thoughts?
    This post might help you, the guy appears to be very knowledgable on the time period. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14372997

According to him, the Tervingi and Greuthungi were two of the tribes that became the Visigoths, and the Amali were the leading tribe of what would become the Ostrogoths. In reality both groups were a confederation of sorts.

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

The new version isn't working for me

Quote Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon View Post
    The new version isn't working for me
    What's not working? All the names reverted to vanilla, or what? It's working fine for me. Also which version are you using, endonyms or Latin?