Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Authentic Faction Names

Default Re: Authentic Faction Names

Quote Originally Posted by Tryggvi View Post
    There is no need to use hyphens. They're used in dictionaries only to show compound words.
    As for the first words, the whole issue with Gothic tribal names reconstruction is so disputable that I don't question it. However, the used forms are just unclear. What are they? Nouns? Adjectives? Singular? Plural? They should have some additional affixes.
    I guess, it would be better to create compound words. In this case, Austragutþiuda and Weisagutþiuda. That would mean 'people of Austraguts' and 'people of Weisaguts' in Gothic. I also don't question, whether they could call themselves so.
    There is also an opportunity to use the word for Goths - guta (sg), gutans (pl). Then, there would be Austragutans and Weisagutans.
    Well, I'm glad there's someone who actually knows something about the Gothic language. So I guess your suggestion is to use the last two, the ones with the "gutans" endings? Though I could use both. If I leave the faction name as "Austragutþiuda," I can put the other one in the "You are attacking the Austragutans" message. Something like that, provided it makes sense.

Tryggvi's Avatar Libertus

So I guess your suggestion is to use the last two, the ones with the "gutans" endings?
    As you wish.
    On the one hand, the word Gutþiuda is attested in documents. However, compound words, consisting of three roots, are very rare in Gothic and look a bit clumsy.
    On the other hand, the -gutans-forms are more made-up because even the word *guta is reconstrusted. But they seem a bit more elegant, may be.
    So you can use any of two variants you like or the third variant you have just suggested.

Okay, thanks. I'll include that and some other stuff in an update soon.

Update for the endonym version: Renamed the Gothic factions, again - thanks to Tryggvi. And changed several separatist faction names - thanks to zombieflanders. The list of separatists is now up in the OP.

No changes to the Latin version, though maybe I could add some of those separatist names there too.
    Last edited by Augustusng; March 26, 2016 at 03:37 PM.

Update to the endonym version - fixed a few errors in some faction names.

EDIT: Also update for the Latin version - improved compatibility with Europa Perdita. You should be able to use this as a submod for EP now.
    Last edited by Augustusng; April 05, 2016 at 09:22 AM.

Small update to the endonym version: fixed the Caliphate of Cordoba name not displaying correctly.

Another small update, for both versions this time: fixed the name of the Asturian Separatists faction.

Update: Changed the names for the Ebdanians and Picts - thanks again zombieflanders!

Laetus

I love this mod, but some of the names are not 100% historical.
    The Geats were also known as the Gautjod/Gauþjod, meaning "the Gautic people" (like how the goths and angles were named).
    As for the royal dynasty, the Skilfingar/House of Skilfing) ruled over the Suiones, not the Geats. The only Geat dynasty of this time I can find is the Svärtingar/House of Svärting, from the book From Odin to Vasa by Lars Ulwencreutz. He mentions rulers such as Gauti, Gautrek and Hrolf, who are in the game, but other than that I'm not sure how believable he is.

As for the Roman Emperors being of the Gens Flavi/Flavian Dynasty, shouldn't it be the Theodosian Dynasty/Gens Theodosi? All I can find on Gens Flavi is a plebeian family from the 1st century.

Overall a great mod however.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Artacus View Post
    I love this mod, but some of the names are not 100% historical.
    The Geats were also known as the Gautjod/Gauþjod, meaning "the Gautic people" (like how the goths and angles were named).
    As for the royal dynasty, the Skilfingar/House of Skilfing) ruled over the Suiones, not the Geats. The only Geat dynasty of this time I can find is the Svärtingar/House of Svärting, from the book From Odin to Vasa by Lars Ulwencreutz. He mentions rulers such as Gauti, Gautrek and Hrolf, who are in the game, but other than that I'm not sure how believable he is.

As for the Roman Emperors being of the Gens Flavi/Flavian Dynasty, shouldn't it be the Theodosian Dynasty/Gens Theodosi? All I can find on Gens Flavi is a plebeian family from the 1st century.

Overall a great mod however.
    Isn't "Gautjod/Gauþjod" in Old Norse though? In the 4th-5th centuries, they spoke Proto-Norse, not Old Norse.

The Roman emperors of this time all bore the name "Flavius," while "Theodosius" was a personal name.

And I'll see what I can dig up for the Geats, but indeed it should be Proto-Norse. I can't remember what sources I found for them now. It's been ages since I worked on this.

Laetus

Alright. After reading some more on the Geat dynasty it seems the first known king of the geats was Gauti (who is the faction heir in the game), then Gautrek and them Hrolf. Then it continued with Hredel, Haedcyn, Herebald, Hugleik, Heardred and Beowulf.
    Hredel is the first King to be confirmed to be of the Svärtingar, and there are conflicting sources on whether Hredel was the son of Hrolf or not. If he was, the Hrolf, Gautrek and Gauti are as well, meaning that their royal house of the Geats in TW:A should be the Svärtingar. If he wasn't, then it would still make more sense than the Skilfingar, which according to google & wikipedia was another name for the Ynglingar, a royal house of the Suiones.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

From what I could find, these are the dynasties the different people in the family tree belong to.
    Dag was an Yngling (Skilfing)
    I can't find any dynasty that Gauti belonged to, considering he was, according to the sagas, a son of Odin, not Dag.
    Gizur was also of the Gods' kin.
    Ring as well.
    Gautrek too.
    I'd say it's pretty hard to place a dynasty name for all of these.

By the way, here's something interesting I thought you'd like to hear.
    The Svärting dynasty is the origin of the name Svärtinge, a small town here in Östergötland (East Geatland) I used to live in when I was a child, and still often visit.
    When Artacus mentioned it, it gave me really nice memories.

Laetus

I'm guessing the devs got things mixed up, considering that Dag (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dag_the_Wise) was a king of the Swedes and not the Geats, and his children were named Alrek and Erik. I couldn't find any other Dags anywhere.

According to Ulwencreutz (and noone else, according to google), the entire dynasty from Gautrek to Beowulf was the Svärtingar, but the Skilfingar only ever ruled Svitjod, which isn't in the game.

Googling Svärtingar only brings up the descendants of Svarte of Svärtinge. According to http://www.sjodetektiven.se/lakes_ht...686-151617.htm Svarte gave the town its name and he lived in the 9th century, so he likely had no relation to the Gautjod kings of the migration period.

So in TW:A we have a line of succesion going Dag-Gauti-Gautrek-Hrolf. With Gizur being Gautis brother and Ring being Gautreks brother. For some reason Ring is older than Gautrek despite not being the heir...
    Among the Skilfingar at the time it went Dag-Alrek-Agne according to the Islendingabok, and Dag-Agne-Alrek-Erik according to the Ynglingasaga
    In Hrolf Gautrekssons Saga the royal family of the Geats went Odin-Gauti-Gautrek-Hrolf, and Ulwencreutz claims this dynasty was named Svärtingar.

I can't find anything on Wikipedia on what the dynasty that ruled over the Geats was called, only what Ulwencreutz claims. Googling Svärtingaätten (the Svärting Dynasty) gives one result: a review of his book. If you found anything, please link it. s

Laetus

I read a bit about how norse families are named and was reminded of this thread.
    Generally, royal and noble families named themselves after the founder of the family. The founder of the Skjöldungar of Denmark was Skjöld, son of Skef. The founder of the Ynglingar of Sweden was Yngve-Frey, etc etc.

It's more complicated with the Geats. There doesn't even seem to be a consensus about which family ruled over them. Snorri Sturlasson says that Gauti and his descendants ruled over them, and the Geats got their name from him (unlikely).
    In Beowulf, the descendants of Svärte are kings (It is mentioned that King Hygelac is descended from him), other norse sagas claim that Gizur or other people would've been kings.

So in short: there is no way to know what the dynasty was called. They wouldn't call themselves Skilfingar either, though, as that family ruled over the Swedes and not the Geats, according to Beowulf. Norse prehistory is extremely confusing.

Confusing indeed. So is your recommendation to change the name to the Svärtingar? I can do that if indeed my earlier name choice doesn't make sense.

Laetus

Yes. According to most interpretations of the sagas that clan would've been the rulers of the Geats at this time.
    Also I noticed a typo in the Danish royal house in AoC, "Sköjldungar" when it should've been Skjöldungar.

Oops, thanks for reporting that. I'll go ahead and change the name for the Geats then too. Expect an update with that on Tuesday.

Update to the endonym version: changed the name of the Geat ruling dynasty and fixed a misspelling in the name of the Danish one, thanks to Artacus!

Laetus

Since the Norse at this time would be speaking Proto-Norse rather than Old Norse, something like "Nurþronijar Mannir" (sources for actual Proto-Norse are scant, but PN words tend to follow the trend of converting PG "-z" to "-r") might be more accurate. This is also important to consider in the naming of the Danes and Geats and whatnot, since I see they are currently ended with PG "-z".