View Poll Results: How do you like to see the results?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Text-based

12 75.00%
  • Excel image

4 25.00%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: TWC Total War Attila benchmark thread - last update: 26. December 2016

Default Re: How does the game perform with your hardware?

Lulz, 4xMSAA performance is completely borked for 7970 (probably for most ATI cards).

I can run almost everything @ max (and shadows on max performance because of CPU bottleneck) and get pretty good performance even on 2560x1440. But as soon as I activate 4xMSAA with everything else at very low I get single digit numbers in the benchmark, lol (CPU is a 4770K@4.3Ghz, RAM is 32GB @ 1866Mhz and OS is Win7-64 bit). It's also astonishing that CA overlooked to add a 2xMSAA mode (especially with SSAA that would be very useful).

Btw, Shogun 2 I can run with 4xSSAA (4xMSAA + SSAA mode in CCC) @ 2560x1440 with > 20fps.

CF also doesn't really work. If enabled I just get 2x50% utiliziation. Only when I use the generic AFR (alternate frame rating) profile I get a big performance boost from 2nd GPU but then there is heavy flickering.

AMD needs to update their drivers ASAP (their last driver release is from almost 3 months ago, lol). AMDs lack in driver skills will be the main reason for me to switch back to NVIDIA for my next GPU upgrade (I pretty much alternate between AMD and NVIDIA since 10 years). AMDs GPU hardware is better value from the specs but their drivers and software pretty much suck.

I am getting 10FPS on GTX780M + i7 4700M at minimum settings. I suspect it is not using my GPU despite being assigned to do so through control panel.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

hi guys, thanks for sharing your results I am still elaborating some rules how we can make the results comparative. I guess we just stick with the presets, would you mind Mr. Freud to continue this thread and have it merged with my one?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...k-in-progress)
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    hi guys, thanks for sharing your results I am still elaborating some rules how we can make the results comparative. I guess we just stick with the presets, would you mind Mr. Freud to continue this thread and have it merged with my one?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...k-in-progress)
    Of course, alQamar! Your threads are very helpful and informative, so add this thread to yours, if you want

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: TWC Total War Attila benchmark thread (work in progress)

-
    Last edited by alQamar; February 19, 2015 at 05:48 AM.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Birk's Avatar Centenarius

Graphics: Max quality!
    Units on the battlefield: 8500
    CPU: i5-2500k
    GPU: GTX 980
    RAM: 8 GB
    Installed on HDD.

Overview: 50 FPS
    Close combat: 20 FPS

Runs smoothly
    Birk Von Norway

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Freud View Post
    Of course, alQamar! Your threads are very helpful and informative, so add this thread to yours, if you want
    Great I've requested / reported that to the moderation team. Meanwhile I am hopefully finished with my basic formatting and original post if you or anyone has suggestions I am open minded to let them come true.

Default Re: TWC Total War Attila benchmark thread - open - last update 17. February 2014

Will post my results soon.
    One question I have: in the "redist" folder of Attila, there are 2 Windows update files Windows6.0-KB971512-x64 and Windows6.0-KB971512-x86. I can't execute them for some reason. What are these for? maybe they can influence performance somehow?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: TWC Total War Attila benchmark thread - open - last update 17. February 2014

Hi Freud, thanks for joining.
    The redist thing is a complicated matter because each game on Steam or application will bring its "own" redists, most of them hopelessly outdated and containing security issues.
    Therefore it is needed to keep them up to date manually and also clean them up manually as several versions (old and insecure / bugged ones) can coexists with never ones.

What's the use of those redists anyway?

The redists are needed to enable certain compiled games and applications (written using Microsoft C++ / Visual Studio) to run at all.
    Just like some need .Net Framework or formerly known redists like "Visual Basic Runtimes", if anyone can remember.
    They enable an application to execute on Windows because not all information and libraries needed are included in the exe file to save overhead / space and make maintenance easier.

Once I've posted the links in the GEM support thread. Link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14230200

This is how a proper configuration looks like. The picture shows a manually cleaned and up-to-date configuration of the C++ redists (64 bit Windows):

To answer you question directly: I am not sure if a mismatch of those files can actually improve or decrease performance. I guess not. Nevertheless I keep them manually cleaned and up-to-date for security and compatibility reasons. Outdated C++ redists likely lead to application crashes or even not letting your start a game or application. Missing C++ redist are problematic aswell e.g. GEM Mod doesn't work at all without the recent 2012 redists. All newer Redists are backwards compatible to the same branch of redist, while they are not cross compatible. E.g. C++ 2008 9.0.xxxx.6161 is compatible with previous C++ 2008 redists. Hence a C++ 2013 redist isn't sufficient to run applications that were coded using Visual Studio 2012, 2010 or 2008.

Last edited by alQamar; February 17, 2015 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Outdated C++ redists likely lead to application crashes or even not letting your start a game or application.
    Actually, it's the other way round. The C++ redistribution file version should exactly match the version which was used to compile the executable. Otherwise anything can happen. Even minute differences in the DLL binaries can lead to incompatibilities / instability in the executable.

Also, Windows keeps a copy of each installed version in it's internal DLL repository in order to match the version requested by the executable as close as possible.

For example on my system, Windows stores 6 distinct versions (and 11 copies) of the msvcr90.dll file