Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Civitate Patrician Magistrate Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Better Call Saul

Better Call Saul is a prequel to Breaking Bad featuring fan favorite lawyer Saul Goodman, before he took on that moniker and was still going by his real name James McGill.

Personally I'm pretty excited. Hopefully it is at least close to the quality of Breaking Bad.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Better Call Saul

Please, please, please make sure to spoiler tag stuff!

Better Call Saul
    is a 2015 Spin-Off and Prequel to the AMC Series Breaking Bad. It starts off in 2002 and focuses on Jimmy McGill, who eventually becomes Saul Goodman, a lawyer who puts the criminal in Criminal Lawyer. It premiered on February 8th, 2015 on the AMC network. You can watch the most recent episode's on AMC's website for free, up until 30 days after their original air date (At least if you're in the US). Not sure about being able to use their site outside of the US, but I do know that Netflix in European nations has the episodes up already.

http://www.amctv.com/full-episodes/better-call-saul

OK, so I watched the two premier episodes, and I am absolutely in love with this. Surprised there wasn't a thread. Seeing Saul's origins are really awesome, especially since he was pretty much my favorite character in Breaking Bad.
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; February 10, 2015 at 10:03 PM.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: Better Call Saul

I haven't watched breaking bad yet, do I need to watch it before I start watching this?

Since it's a prequel I figure probably not, but sometimes spinoffs aren't really that good unless you have a reference to who the characters are.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen CarnesÓr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Citizen

Blog Entries

Honestly, I'd recommend watching Breaking Bad before this. It's definitely better having the reference from Breaking Bad, and there are cameos abound along with some major plot stuff that eventually relates back to Breaking Bad.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    Honestly, I'd recommend watching Breaking Bad before this. It's definitely better having the reference from Breaking Bad, and there are cameos abound along with some major plot stuff that eventually relates back to Breaking Bad.
    I agree, it's a good idea to watch Breaking Bad first. As for Better Call Saul, I'm hooked already
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Yeah, it had me hooked pretty much instantaneously. The second episode only uped the ante that much more.

The scene where
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Jimmy talks down Tuco from killing the skater dudes in the desert was absolutely brilliant. It was just an awesome scene overall, from the cinemetography, to the writing, and the acting. Top notch stuff.

I only got into Breaking Bad as it was ending, and I don't really follow many TV shows, so this is going to be an exciting ride.

Citizen

That was such an intense scene. It's shaping up to be a fantastic show, I think it'll stack up well next to it's predecessor. It could even surpass it.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked

A.B.A.P.

Praefectus

I only saw him in Breaking Bad - but watching it with friends they said to me as an attorney, what I thought of him as a lawyer. I said he's an awesome lawyer. Gave great advice that was spot on. Usually when I watch those shows I second guess what the attorneys are doing saying wtf would you do that - but in Saul's case - putting to one side his shady stuff which of course I don't condone - his actual advice is right on the money. They must have had some great legal advisers on the show, whoever they were.
    My bookshelf is a hate blog.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    I only saw him in Breaking Bad - but watching it with friends they said to me as an attorney, what I thought of him as a lawyer. I said he's an awesome lawyer. Gave great advice that was spot on. Usually when I watch those shows I second guess what the attorneys are doing saying wtf would you do that - but in Saul's case - putting to one side his shady stuff which of course I don't condone - his actual advice is right on the money. They must have had some great legal advisers on the show, whoever they were.
    It's because he's not a criminal lawyer. He is a CRIMINAL lawyer.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I've enjoyed it so far, I was still sceptical at the end of episode 1 but ep 2 made my worries go away. One thing I'm a bit concerned about though...

What's up with Chuck's..erm, disease? "Phones hurt me" and aluminium hats? I assume he has some kind of dementia, based on his general behaviour so far, but I'm a bit worried they'll suggest phones cause cancer or something.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Civitate Patrician Magistrate Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post

OK, so I watched the two premier episodes, and I am absolutely in love with this. Surprised there wasn't a thread. Seeing Saul's origins are really awesome, especially since he was pretty much my favorite character in Breaking Bad.
    That would be why I created the catalog, because there was already a thread

I haven't watched the second episode yet but I will soon. I enjoyed the first episode though.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

I haven't watched breaking bad yet, do I need to watch it before I start watching this?

Since it's a prequel I figure probably not, but sometimes spinoffs aren't really that good unless you have a reference to who the characters are.
    Imo it needs a Breaking bad watch first... and you will do yourself a great favor by watching Breaking Bad imo.
    A good part of this spin off, is the familiarity of Breaking Bad, epic characters , besides Better call Saul, actualy starts with a scene right after the events of Breaking Bad finale.

just saying so far it makes more sense to watch Breaking bad first.
    here an honest trailer for you.

It's because he's not a criminal lawyer. He is a CRIMINAL lawyer.

I hope they will have Badger in this show as well at some point.

Last edited by Knight of Heaven; February 11, 2015 at 02:57 PM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    I've enjoyed it so far, I was still sceptical at the end of episode 1 but ep 2 made my worries go away. One thing I'm a bit concerned about though...

What's up with Chuck's..erm, disease? "Phones hurt me" and aluminium hats? I assume he has some kind of dementia, based on his general behaviour so far, but I'm a bit worried they'll suggest phones cause cancer or something.
    It takes place in 2002, so I'm feeling that Chuck being a bit older has taken to one of the crackpot theories of the time where he feels that the cause of whatever his disease is background radiation because of phones or something. Especially since Cell Phones were much newer at the time, it would sort of make sense. I don't think he's actually sick, I think he has just come under the effect of a nocebo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    That would be why I created the catalog, because there was already a thread

I haven't watched the second episode yet but I will soon. I enjoyed the first episode though.
    I looked at the past few pages if that counts for anything
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; February 11, 2015 at 07:47 PM.

Loved the first few episodes, and I enjoy this "Nacho" character as well. Really weird to see Saul with kinda-sorta morals at first

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Two episodes in, not enough Mike.

maxi90's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    You need to watch Breaking Bad... Just because. Seriously. It will improve your quality of life.

These first two episodes were dynamite. I honestly wasnīt expecting to enjoythe series as much as I have been so far.

Comes Domesticorum

Really enjoyed it so far, even though Breaking Bad wasn't really my most enjoyed series.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Just saw the third episode, that was absolutely great.

It's so weird to see Saul, er, Jimmy, with morals :p

Citizen

"I found your dumbass clients"

That part was funny

A.B.A.P.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast