Thread: [ Submod] Invita 1648

Default [ Submod] Invita 1648

Invita 1648

A submod for 1648 - Thirty Years of War

Those players intent on completing a campaign in which they have to defeat either the Catholic League or Protestant Union will eventually find themselves with an army led by dozens or even hundreds of generals. The 1648 mod initially had 123 portraits for generals, later increased to 200 in one of the patches. That number is still not big enough to avoid portrait duplications among your generals in late game.

This submod will increase the number of portraits for generals to 400 and will bring the total number of generic character portraits available to around 950. It also adds over 80 new historical quotes for the loading screens and several additional historical names to some of the factions. It does not affect gameplay. The additions are simply cosmetic.

With this submod, the starting generals with Polish names have Polish portraits, the starting French generals have French portraits, and similarly for the Dutch and Palatinate factions. Graf Montecuccoli who starts in Flanders also gets the historical portrait of Raimondo Montecuccoli, and the Palatinate heir Volker gets the portrait of Karl Ludwig von der Pfalz, the actual heir. Johann II of the Palatinate also gets his historical portrait.

This submod should best be installed just before you start a new campaign. If you install it in the middle of a current ongoing campaign, some of your character portraits and names will change. If you wish to go back to the standard 1648 mod, a second zip-file called 1648_restore will replace the new files with the original ones. First rename or delete the portrait folder before you paste the 1648_restore files.

If you would rather only have the portraits and not the other changes, then simply replace the old “portrait” subfolder with the new one (carefully, as there is a portrait subfolder within a subfolder, make sure you get the folder structure right). Similarly if you only want the names, then replace the files called names and descr_names in their two respective folders. Finally if you only want the new quotes, all of which are from the period of the Thirty Years War, then copy over the quotes and decsr_transition_screen files. For good measure, please also delete the existing quotes.string.bin file in the text folder or rename it to quotes.string.bin.old. The engine is able to generate a new string.bin file if one is missing and it is better it generates an up-to-date one rather than attempt to use an older file that may not be compatible with the current settings.

If you happen to be using the German version of the mod, then until the quotes become translated into German by a kind soul, delete the descr_transition_screen from the data folder, or otherwise you will experience annoying loading screen crashes.

VORSICHT, wenn Sie die Deutsche Version benutzen, die descr_transition_screen.txt Datei entfernen!

Download Invita 1648
    Download 1648 restore

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portraits 300-399.JPG 
Views:	664 
Size:	676.9 KB 
ID:	320979

The loss of one man is the gain of another
    Robert Monro, His Expedition

N.B. I may post in the future in this section minor bits and tweaks of a varied nature, in response to popular requests - or even unpopular ones - so you might like to check this submod again in a few moons.

Alternative download of Invita 1648 from mediafire, thanks to k/t. Give him rep.

Miscellaneous optional files with various tweaks:
    export_descr_unit.txt removes horde formation for rebels, cuirassiers, sailors, etc.
    descr_projectile.txt adds more historically correct projectile velocities for this time in history, based on ballistic calculations, some from books written at around the time of the war. Place this file in the data folder after renaming the original file with the same name. This file tends to make artillery more deadly.

EDIT: The Gamefront link is broken. I have uploaded the mod again but it waits authorisation. The mediafire link is still working.
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; March 24, 2017 at 09:22 PM.

hyretic's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Invita 1648 submod

Nice!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: [ Submod] Invita 1648

Nice addition, a really extensive portrait collection.

Already given +rep, good job mate

not in the turkey server you give another link?

Just extract the file into the "data" folder?

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Just extract the file into the "data" folder?
    Yes, overwrite the existing files.

Quote Originally Posted by ikooo123 View Post
    not in the turkey server you give another link?
    Is Gamefront not accessible in Turkey? I may look for another solution but cannot promise.
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; February 12, 2015 at 11:18 AM.

david8291's Avatar Foederatus

ciao gamefront non è accessibile dal mio paese Italy.
    Please ricaricare altro specchio? grazie

This forum is English-only.

I'll upload this to Mediafire today.

https://www.mediafire.com/?27g8u8yrvpds2cv
    Last edited by k/t; February 19, 2015 at 04:46 PM.

Doesn't the addition of more quotes mean some files have to be changed to avoid crashes? I remember that being an issue recently.

Domesticus

Neat!

Doesn't the addition of more quotes mean some files have to be changed to avoid crashes? I remember that being an issue recently.
    Yes, the file is included (descr_transition_screen.txt).
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; February 23, 2015 at 10:22 AM.

david8291's Avatar Foederatus

Thanks for new link!!!

I extracted into the "data" folder and nothing happened. I wasn't asked if I wanted to overwrite anything. I looked, and there was an invita_1648_submod folder in the "data" folder now. I checked the Palatinate of the Rhine before and after trying to install, and the Volker guy looked the same. I cut the "data" folder from the invita_1648_submod folder and compressed it with 7Zip. Now it should work when I extract it, however, it's only 13.3 MB, while the file you posted was 29 MB. Was my compressor more effective, or did I do something wrong? I hesitate to click "Extract", haha.

I extracted into the "data" folder and nothing happened. I wasn't asked if I wanted to overwrite anything. I looked, and there was an invita_1648_submod folder in the "data" folder now. I checked the Palatinate of the Rhine before and after trying to install, and the Volker guy looked the same. I cut the "data" folder from the invita_1648_submod folder and compressed it with 7Zip. Now it should work when I extract it, however, it's only 13.3 MB, while the file you posted was 29 MB. Was my compressor more effective, or did I do something wrong? I hesitate to click "Extract", haha.
    The compressed zip file is 29Mb and when unzipped it should be 60 Mb. Check that you have not downloaded the restore zip file.

If nervous, then extract it in the download folder. You will get the data subfolder with the usual folder structure. Check that there are 400 portraits in the 'generals' subfolder. If so, then extract the invita data folder into the mod data folder. There is the restore file if something has gone wrong in the download. You should be safe.

Might be a bit late for me to complain, but I installed Invita and the alternate EDU and I'm getting crashes. Sometimes starting up, but always at the end of battles. Here's a crashlog: https://mega.nz/#!Kp8XwJRL!YWpcxyYSq...JACyC1NMyijuHc

Edit: Noticed that Invita and one of the patches I've installed both have a quotes.txt, but only the patch has .string.bin
    Could that be the cause?

Editedit: Deleting the .string.bin when installing Invicta seems to have fixed it.
    Last edited by Hazzard; August 26, 2015 at 03:53 AM.

Sorry for not replying earlier, the string.bin text is generated by the game usually and it can interfere with the submod as it contains the old quotes and may have an upper number lower than what invita has. I will edit the OP to ask people to delete the string.bin. Thanks. +rep

Can somebody help me understand how exactly does the descr_projectile.txt change artillery and other units?
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; September 14, 2016 at 10:57 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

It defines the particulars of the projectiles used by the units. eg speed, size, probability of hitting target etc.

EDU entry, red = projectile name, blue = projectile sound effect when fired
    Code:
    stat_pri         14, 1, arquebus_bullet, 120, 20, missile, missile_gunpowder, piercing, none, musket_shot_set, 25, 1
    descr_projectile, set details (visual effects) can be found in descr_effect_impacts
    Code:
    projectile arquebus_bullet

effect                    bullet_model_set
    end_effect                bullet_impact_ground_set
    end_man_effect            man_impact_tiny_set
    end_package_effect        bullet_impact_wall_set
    end_shatter_effect        bullet_impact_ground_set
    end_shatter_man_effect        man_impact_tiny_set
    end_shatter_package_effect        bullet_impact_wall_set

damage        0
    radius        0
    mass        0.09
    accuracy_vs_units        0.015
    min_angle    -60
    max_angle    70
    velocity    55 75
    display        aimed
    effect_only
    descr_artillery_effects, this is a sequence of effects (effect_set) whose details can be found within this file
    Code:
    effect_set musket_shot_set
    {
        play_time 1
        lod 1000
        {
            musket_shot_muzzle_flash
            musket_shot_quick_flash
            musket_shot_smoke_trail
            musket_shot_smoke
            musket_shot_smoke_linger_small
            muzzle_flash_smoke_1648_musket
            musket_shot_smoke_linger_long
        }
    }
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 14, 2016 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks for your submod, Fam