Thread: [SS 6.4 + BGR V] Come What May (England)

Icon5 [SS 6.4 + BGR V] Come What May (England)

Come What May

An AAR for Stainless Steel 6.4 & Byg's Grim Reality V sub-mod (version 120719)

ENGLAND

This is an After Action Report for Byg’s “Grim Reality V” sub-mod for Stainless Steel 6.4, a total overhaul modification for Medieval 2: Total War. The primary intention of this AAR is to showcase some of the additional mechanics that players of this sub-mod will face, as a sort of ‘preview’ read for players considering upping their game and playing this sub-mod. BGRV adds an unparalleled element of both difficulty, and enjoyment to a campaign. Due to my time being somewhat limited, and my patience limiting, it is highly unlikely that this AAR will progress far at all – but it’s not my intention to finish the campaign; just to provide a quality insight into the fun and drama that awaits you in BGRV. At its conception on Saturday 7th February 2015, 12 turns have been completed representing 1 whole year in the 12-turns-per-year rate of play, and no more than 24 turns are foreseeably planned though this is subject to change.

A Little About Me

I've played Total War games since the UK TV show “Time Commanders” made me aware of Rome: Total War. I grew up on MMOs; primarily role-playing in Ultima Online – I developed a fondness for the medieval, and so Medieval 2: Total War became my time-and-again favourite of the Total War franchise once it was released, with the Stainless Steel mod giving it the balanced breath of life it desperately needed around 2007. Around this time I discovered the “Project Reality” mod for Battlefield 2, and developed an appreciation of accurate, gritty, realistic gameplay. Byg’s “Grim Reality” sub mods for Stainless Steel just seemed to make sense for me.

Despite all this, I have probably only ever finished 2 or 3 Total War campaigns. I lose interest after some time, or give up if my carefully calculated plans crumble in the face of unanticipated AI decisions that exploit weaknesses I created whilst single-mindedly overextending. In an effort to increase the longevity of my campaigns, I became a reload prince, creating multiple saves when using agents, striking deals, fighting battles, and even prior to ending turns. I squeezed every possible outcome out of a turn, and reloaded if something happened that wasn’t in my master plan. The result of this meant campaign turns could take hours as I reload time and time again hoping for a better outcome, and I lose my ability to adapt to change, and act decisively – knowing I always have a safety net available. Inevitably, I'd hit a roadblock I couldn't reload around, and start a new campaign. I can, however, say that I have never loaded the cheat console, which in 12-13 years of Total War is quite an achievement.

So in stark contrast to the above, this AAR is therefore appropriately entitled “Come What May”, as in I will accept whatever happens, and deal with it in the best way that I can. This should ultimately serve to better portray the difficulties associated with BGRV, and the situations that can arise.

I have taken 262 screenshots during 1220 alone, but in experiencing difficulties uploading so many screenshots, I will attempt to tell this AAR through story as much as possible; using only a small number of screenshots for illustrative effect. Grab a brew and take some time to read this through. I hope you enjoy it, and I appreciate all positive and constructive feedback.

Settings & Rules

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Stainless Steel 'Launcher' Options

• Late Campaign (Start Date: 1220) - BGRV is only available for the Late Campaign
    • Savage AI
    • BGR V
    • No AI Starting Armies
    • No Cheating
    • Normal Event Speed - BGRV plays at a rate of 12-turns-per-year, and characters age in line with this (12 turns = 1 year), meaning generals won't spend a decade laying sieges and will live for hundreds of turns, but unless this option is ticked, events and campaign progression will continue to advance at a rate of 1-turn-per-year. E.g. If an event is due to occur in 1223 (Turn 3 in 1TPY), it will occur at March 1220 (Turn 3 in 12TPY) unless this option is checked. As I don't intend to continue this campaign very long either because of limited time, or death; it doesn't matter how many turns it will take to research new technologies such as Welsh Longbowmen as I will be unlikely to see it anyway. Ticking this option will, however, ensure that an accurate time-line is preserved for the length of this campaign - which should make this a more believable AAR.
    • Permanent Arrows
    • G5 ReallyBadAI Battle System

Campaign Settings

• Advice: Off
    • Campaign Difficulty: Very Hard - BGRV is developed in-line with the AI settings for VHVH, but BGRV removes various scripts that grant the AI an unfair advantage (such as spawning additional armies, or finance) to compensate for poor AI anyway.
    • Battle Difficulty: Very Hard - BGRV is developed in-line with the AI settings for VHVH. Whilst playing with this difficulty does grant the AI morale bonuses in battle, these merely level the playing field as the AI is incapable of executing sophisticated battle tactics; unlike the player.
    • Manage All Cities: Enabled - This likely makes no difference, as a General is required to be present as governor to recruit units or alter the building queue, similar to the 'Limited Activities' option in the Stainless Steel Launcher. Generals must wait one turn to establish local command when entering a settlement however; they cannot simply walk in, make changes, and walk out in the same turn. Also, leaving settlements prior to the completion of unit recruitment will result in the unit costing the treasury double, and their training being less effective as it would have been if overseen by a governor.
    • No Battle Time Limit: Enabled
    • Show CPU Moves: Enabled
    • Length: Short - Unlikely to finish the campaign, but a short victory condition at least gives me something realistic to work towards.

House Rules

• Number of Saves Allowed: One – Just before clicking ‘End Turn’. This must be overwritten at the end of each turn. I don't save at the start of a new turn, as if I quit the game and reload at this point, I lose any end-of-turn notifications and have to dig to find out what happened with other factions and my traits/retinues/building queues/recruitment queues during the End Turn phase.
    • Combat Pausing Allowed: No - This will be a big challenge for me!

Historical Discrepencies

King Henry III was 9 years old at the time of his coronation in 1216 and should therefore be 13 at the start of the Late Campaign in 1220. His son, Edward I wasn't born until 1239. In-game, King Henry III is 42 years old in 1220, and his son, Duke Edward, is 21 years old, despite existing 19 years too soon. What follows below in setting the scene is information I have researched about King Henry III between 1200-1220. I will start as though the history itself is accurate, and that King Henry III was simply a lot older when King John I eventually passed away, and Edward I was already born during the lifetime of his grandfather.

Setting The Scene

King Henry III, son of the late King John I has sat upon the English throne for four years, since the passing of his father in 1216. King John departed this world leaving the Kingdom of England in a state of recoil. In the first decade of the 13th century, French nobles banded together and marched their armies West of Paris, reclaiming French coastal territories such as Normandy, Brittany, Maine and Anjou from the English, kicking them out of their foothold on mainland Europe, and extinguishing what had become to be known as the "Angevin Empire".

At home, the loyalty of barons is called into question; they are angry, having supplied and lost men in the futile cause of the Empire, and to add insult to injury, they have had higher taxes demanded from them to help pay for the reparations incurred by defeat at the hands of the French. Many question King Henry's ability to rule.

Scotland continues to oppose the presence of Englishmen beyond the moorlands of North Yorkshire, as do Irish patriots West of Dublin. Prince Llywelyn of Wales similarly despises the English, and commands a sizeable army based near Caernarvon castle.

England is on a tipping point. Will it be crushed between the walls closing in around it, or will it viciously lash out like a cornered wolf, biting whoever dares to come too close whilst it is licking its wounds?

The year is 1220. Winter is drawing to a close. King Henry III has received a second coronation from Pope Honorius, declaring Henry a vassal of the Papal States, and a ward of the Pope himself - with his blessing to reclaim England’s lost lands, and to remind the barons of his God-given right to rule. He will accomplish this with the assistance of his first-born son and heir, Duke Edward I, so-named after Saint Edward the Confessor.

God save England! God save the King!

Table of Contents

Year 1220 A.D., Chapter 1 - Turns 1-4 - Published: 07/02/2015
    Year 1220 A.D., Chapter 2 - Turns 5-8 - Published: 12/02/2015
    Year 1220 A.D., Chapter 3 - Turns 9-12 - Published: Work In Progress

"And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars, see that ye be not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet."
    - Matthew, ch. XXIV, V.6

Last edited by Heskey; February 12, 2015 at 11:11 AM.

Default Re: [SS 6.4 + BGR V] Come What May (England)

Year 1220 A.D., Chapter 1 - Turns 1-4

January 1220 A.D. - Turn 1

Following the death of King John I in 1216, barons seized the opportunity during 1217 to in-fight over territory and almost plunged what remained of the country into civil war. The Welsh were quick to take advantage of this situation, and launched skirmishes into Middle England but found themselves being repelled by barons banding together; fearing the land they fought over themselves would be taken by another behind their backs. Having staved off the invasion and lost much of their armies in the process, the barons declared a truce out of respect for one another's mutual assistance. As such, England now finds itself at peace and has no professional standing army.

It is a new dawn for England. King Henry III has returned from his re-coronation and sent word throughout the land that he is God's chosen ruler of England on earth, and that his actions carry behind them the approval of the Pope himself. As a result, the barons have put to bed any treasonous intentions, for now, and have once again pledged their allegiance to the King, intent on carrying out his will; knowing that lands directed to be conquered may be of use to them in any future rebellion against the Crown. Lord Laurence knows this more than most and finds himself in an exceptional strategic position - Nottingham Fortress in the heart of England; protected from the Scots to the North by Lord Jasper of York, closest of all the nobility, geographically speaking, to the King, and in prime position to launch an invasion into Wales, conquering Caernarvon castle - granting him two defensible positions in the centre of the British Isles; and become Lord of two castles, whilst the Crown merely owns one - Winchester castle.

Some veterans from the last decade are garrisoned at Winchester castle, and King Henry still commands the men that travelled with him to Rome and back. It is time to rule.

- = -

I control 6 territories; London (pop. 15,000 - increasing), Winchester (pop. 4,500 - decreasing), Exeter (pop. 3,800 - increasing), Nottingham (pop. 8,500 - stable), York (pop. 4,800 - increasing) and Dublin (pop. 4,000 - increasing).
    I have 5 generals; King Henry (London), Duke Edward (Exeter), Jasper (York), Laurence (Nottingham), and Gregory Dudley (Dublin).

My intention is to rule through a code of chivalry and encourage the development of good governors. Galway, an Irish castle is under independent rule, as is Caernarvon, a Welsh castle. I plan to take these two settlements whilst dissuading Scotland from attacking me by creating a border force - though I ultimately intend to rule the British Isles alone, without worrying about being attacked from the rear when the time comes to expand back onto mainland Europe in an attempt to reclaim the "Angevin Empire".

Byg considers the ability to Action: Spy on enemy forces, and thus intimately know them, to be exploitative. As such, spy's line of sight has been reduced, and they do not gain skill from Action: Spy. Instead, they're intended to be used as scouts. With my spy, Richard, I can either Action: Spy on Caernarvon; likely resulting in his death (gaining me no particular advantage, as I intend to besiege settlements for as long as possible; to whittle down the defending garrison, force a sally, and ultimately lose as fewer men as possible assaulting the walls), or send him north of the Anglo-Scot border to keep watch on their movements, and give me advanced warning of their intentions. Richard is sent North.

Despite a buoyant treasury, Generals in BGR must fund the recruitment of units out of their own pocket (and can claim the cost back next turn from the treasury if they are a designated War Council Member), but can only do so if the men are available to recruit. These men must be drafted from the land in January, and compensation paid to the landowners per region, due to the loss of hands available during the harvest months. The more men drafted for recruitment, the higher the compensation cost. From a previous campaign, I found that relying on the units from the start of the game alone allowed for a focused building policy, creating a solid economy - but this didn't matter much when my single army was slowly hacked away during multiple battles with the Scots over York, and I hadn't drafted any manpower available to recruit as reinforcements. I had the money to equip multiple armies; but no men available to recruit without severely harming my economy and harvest capabilities the following year. Having learnt from previous experience, I select the second lowest option of Military Service of 14 manpower units (the lowest being 0 manpower units) costing the treasury 200 florins per region per month (thus 1,200 florins per turn, with 6 regions). I disband a unit of Archer Militia in Dublin, regaining their 1 manpower cost, intending on using it to recruit a unit of Peasant Infantry to act as a garrison as their upkeep is marginally cheaper. I do the same in London with a unit of Spear Militia, and send two units of Archer Militia in separate stacks towards Winchester and Exeter. I could have simply disbanded them both in London, knowing that the subsequent 3 units of manpower would be shared amongst the Centrally controlled settlements of Exeter, Winchester and London in a few turns time, but recruiting in a settlement also draws a corresponding number of men from the population - and so it's only fair that the units are disbanded, and the population added to, in settlements where recruitment is about to take place; otherwise I will socially engineer ghost towns.

In BGR however, sizeable armies roaming the campaign map without a General to lead them are likely to rebel without the presence of leadership, hence I send the Archers instead of the Spears - as they will die from a quick cavalry charge if they rebel, and move them as single units to halve the chance of rebellion.

With the gained manpower from disbandment, I can't recruit any units yet without incurring double the cost from the treasury, as it is Turn 1 and no one has yet been recognised as a governor (and thus responsible for the cost of recruitment).

Norman Serjeants garrisoned in Nottingham fortress march into York to bolster the garrison along England's Northern frontier.

Princess Margaret and my diplomat stand a-top of the cliffs of Dover, awaiting safe passage over to Europe aboard my 'navy' of 2 units of Holk ships. Princess Margaret will go to Castile in an attempt to marry herself to the Castilian Prince, securing a marriage alliance between England and Spain for future attacks against the French, and my diplomat Laurence will make haste to Rome to secure an alliance with the Papal State, and thus protection against attack from other Catholic nations, picking up trade agreements en route.

My two bishops are moved to London and Winchester regions to increase the level of religious support there, in preparation for the days of centralised command, where faction zeal is low, and quality units can only be recruited from Centrally commanded regions with high levels of religious support.

Lastly, I begin the construction of Logging Camps in all settlements, to reduce the cost of future wooden structures - and lower tax rates to Low, to help improve the governor's chivalry, and increase the rate of population growth.

February 1220 A.D. - Turn 2

Perfect! The council of nobles echoes my intention to invade Wales, and has suggested a mission to capture Caernarvon castle within the next 15 months, offering a reward of 2000 florins. King Henry and Duke Edward will remain along the Southern coast to become chivalrous governors, and make efforts in the coming months to march England's forces to Lord Laurence's command. Faction Zeal is currently High, meaning units can be recruited in regions with as little as 70% Catholic support (not a problem in Western Europe), and the King has decreed a Local Command System, in which local Lords are all-powerful within their own domain; capable of recruiting whatever units they like, so long as they meet other requirements.

Princess Margaret and Laurence the Diplomat disembark in Western Flanders. Princess Margaret heads South, and Laurence, East.

The 14 units of manpower requested in January are distributed evenly amongst my 6 settlements, with settlements under Central control (owned by the King and Heir) pooled together. This means most of my regions have 2 manpower units available. Dublin has 3, due to the Archer Militia I disbanded there in January, so I order the recruitment of a unit of Peasant Infantry (1mp) as intended, and bolster the existing garrison of 1x Fyrd Spearmen, 1x Norman Serjeants, and 2x Longbowmen with a unit of Light Men at Arms, costing 2 manpower units, bringing Dublin back to 0 manpower units. This means I cannot recruit from Dublin again until I specify additional military service in January 1221, in 11 turns time. If in dire need, I can recruit from Dublin, but without the manpower reserves available, I will severely cripple my economy next year as I will have effectively ordered labourers to drop their tools, stop tending the land, and come fight.

I similarly disbanded a peasant quality unit in York, and use the 3 manpower units to recruit a diplomat (1mp) to manage relations with Scotland, and a unit of Light Men at Arms (2mp). In Nottingham, I recruit a unit of Feudal Foot Knights (3mp) - the best heavy infantry currently available to me. They cost approximately 894 florins to the treasury, but will also cost Lord Laurence 200 florins personally, as recruitment costs 100 florins, plus an additional 100 florins as Feudal Foot Knights are a heavy unit. He will not be able to reclaim this cost from the treasury, as he is not a war council member, and thus must fund his own troops himself. In Exeter, although London's Archer Militia has not arrived, I use the combined manpower pool of Exeter and London of 5 units to recruit a unit of Peasant Infantry in both Exeter and London, leaving 3mp remaining. I rarely use siege equipment on the battlefield, as it slows down my campaign map movement speed too much, but from my previous campaign I know one would be helpful against the Scots. My choice is a trebuchet or a mangonel (which I've never used before). Both cost 3mp, but the trebuchet can also be useful against walls in siege battles. As before, I intend to conduct protracted sieges, so the trebuchets all-in-one ability is lost on me. I go for the mangonel, thinking of all the burnt Scotsmen I'll be littering across the Yorkshire moors.

Lastly, I return the tax rate in cities to Normal to prevent governors gaining poor at taxing traits pending the completion of the Logging Camps. None of the governors currently in recruiting settlements can leave, unless I wish to pay double the cost of recruitment directly from the treasury.

March 1220 A.D. - Turn 3

During the End Turn phase, a Scottish diplomat approaches York and requests Trade Rights. Ordinarily, I would decline as it won't be long before we're at war. However, I think that if I accept, they will lose reputation if they break the agreement by attacking me - and in the meanwhile I can replenish my coffers after building a border force designed to keep them at bay. I counter-offer; demanding map information for the trade agreement. They accept, barely.

The End Turn phase ends, and Poland and Hungary have declared themselves to be allies. I review my Recruitment Report, smiling at all the heavy infantry I'm normally not brave enough to recruit so early on. It then hits me - I forgot to recruit Peasant Infantry garrisons in York and Nottingham; someone will have to stay behind and act as garrison when the governors march off to battle. Bugger! It's not even like I can reload the End Turn and swap my recruitment queue for the desired units; once you assign a unit to the recruitment queue, the manpower unit is gone. If you decide to change your mind, you are to accept this as an administrative cock-up and live with the choices you made. Mistakes happen. The unit of Archer Militia almost at Exeter is redirected to head towards Nottingham, to be disbanded there and recruited into Peasant Infantry. I hope they don't rebel en-route.

In Exeter, the Peasant Infantry garrison has completed recruitment, and Duke Edward will reclaim the personal cost of their recruitment from the treasury during the next End Turn phase. The treasury is already down to 3,000; a result of Stonemason's Huts being constructed up and down the country, and generals purchasing supplies for their troops and claiming the cost back from the treasury. In BGR, armies really do march on their stomach. If armies end a turn with 10% or more of their movement points available, they will live off the land and forage from the region they're in (providing there's food to forage), meaning they can stay out in the field for longer, and be happier whilst they are too. If armies are constantly marched to the extent of their full range of movement, they will consume the supplies they carry. The more these supplies deplete, the less morale the army has - and the sooner they must return to a settlement; where more will be purchased and the treasury will bear the expense. Duke Edward halts construction of the Stonemason's Hut in Exeter in an attempt to save money, and sails along the Southern coast to Winchester castle to establish governance, and bring the castle into the Centrally Commanded fold, taking his small force with him.

King Henry has issued an order that the right to knight is restricted; nobles still maintain a relatively high level of independence from any central authority, but may be required to supply "Scutage Tax" to the treasury, instead of armed men. This is done by clicking the 'Recruitment Advisor' button on the settlement Recruitment tab. It generally doesn't amount to much in the early game, but ever little can help. At this moment in time, I don't expect to get into debt, and want my nobles to be rich in their own right. In my previous campaign I took all settlements off the nobility and held them centrally so that the manpower pool was concentrated in the capital; where my best units can be trained. I then learned that even though my nobles no longer had settlements to tax, they themselves were still being taxed until they themselves were becoming beggars.

In Dublin, the Peasant Infantry garrison has also completed, as have the Light Men at Arms, and so Lord Dudley takes his small force and marches along the road, West towards Galway - also cancelling construction to save money. He orders the men to stop just over the territorial border - his army is likely to forage, rather than rely on their supplies; and as they are within the territory of Galway castle, they will not affect the potential harvest of Dublin's region.

Laurence the diplomat passes Metz and obtains a trade agreement with the Holy Roman Empire, and Princess Margaret continues South through France. The new diplomat in York is sent to court in Edinburgh.

Lastly, I return the tax rate in cities to low; including Exeter and Dublin before their governors left (as I would be unable to alter the tax rate after they had left).

April 1220 A.D. - Turn 4

During the End Turn phase, a General Algune mac Donnachaic of Scotland marches to the Scottish border with York on his own, and a Scottish spy is captured and executed inside the walls of York. They are clearly planning to attack, and have announced an alliance with France; whose faith Pope Honorius considers to be an inspiration to all Christendom.

The mangonel in London has finished construction; due to the time they would take to build in real life, recruiting ships and siege weapons takes longer than regular troops - in this case, 2 months/turns. The Queen gives birth to a daughter, Adelicia Plantagenet. I'd have preferred a third son, personally.

With England's arch-rivals, Scotland and France teaming up together - and France being the Pope's new golden boy, Princess Margaret seizes the opportunity to get in good with the French, and secures trade rights with them as she passes Angers.

Lord Dudley continues to march across the swampland of Central Ireland, careful not to consume the army's supplies. Foraging in enemy land, for as long as possible, will ensure his army are not suffering compounded morale penalties when it comes time to do battle.

With Winchester now part of the Centrally Commanded settlements and Duke Edward in charge, its 2 manpower units are absorbed into the central pool. The unit of Archer Militia from London is disbanded to make it 3 manpower units, and a unit of Fyrd Spearmen back in London is disbanded to make it 4 manpower units. A unit of Peasant Infantry is recruited to act as garrison in Winchester, and another unit of Feudal Foot Knights are recruited in London. The Anglo-Scot frontier army will have a solid backbone of heavy infantry.

I'm mindful that I need to start moving my armies to Caernarvon and York respectively, but King Henry and Duke Edward can't leave Winchester and London yet whilst there are still manpower units available to recruit from, and unit recruitment on-going. Next month, I will begin to plan their movement across the country in preparation for war.
    Last edited by Heskey; February 07, 2015 at 02:33 PM.

Looks like good writing so far, keep it up. You mentioned taking many screenshots, do you plan to post (m)any?

Also, as a point of interest, you lose the same amount of reputation when a trade agreement dissolves, regardless of if you break it or the enemy do.

Quote Originally Posted by Me, Myself and I View Post
    Looks like good writing so far, keep it up. You mentioned taking many screenshots, do you plan to post (m)any?

Also, as a point of interest, you lose the same amount of reputation when a trade agreement dissolves, regardless of if you break it or the enemy do.
    Thanks. I intend to post a few choice screenshots per turn to highlight significant events or mechanics, but currently I can't figure out how to post a click-able thumb nail that then becomes the full size image, instead of just the full size image which looks ridiculous.

Cheers for the tip about trade agreement breaking - I never knew!

Year 1220 A.D., Chapter 2 - Turns 5-8

May 1220 A.D. - Turn 5

The messenger hastily walked with purpose into court as the sentries pulled open the doors. He was grubby - his face covered in dirt from the back of his gloves which he had used to wipe sweat from his brow, whilst riding frantically down the cart tracks loosely connecting towns and villages from North to South; kicking up mud and caking his cloak in the process of furious riding. He approached the King, no further than two guardsmen authoritatively step forward and pointed their spears forward - bidding he step no further. Instantaneously obedient, the messenger dropped to one knee, thumped his left hand across his chest, and lowered his head in the presence of a man far greater than he.

"Your Highness, I bring word from Lord Jasper of York. The Scots are growing bolder with the security offered by their recent alliance with France. Not one month past, a man believed to be spying for the Scottish crown was discovered prowling around the walls of York in the middle of the night without good cause, and was swiftly hanged the following morning on charges of espionage. That's not all, my King... A small detachment of Scottish cavalry has been spotted guarding the construction of a watch tower along the border. Lord Jasper has sent me to ask for assistance in displaying a show of force near to the border, lest Scotland give thought to invading your lands."

- = -

Winter is well and truly over. The snow has melted, and Cold Effects and Cold Acclimatisation gives way to the campaign season; effects and acclimatisation begin to swing the other way under the daytime sun. I start the turn on bad financial footing, -395 gold in the treasury, with expenses still to be claimed next turn for the recruitment of the Feudal Foot Knights (London) and Peasant Infantry (Winchester). Scotland are clearly looking for an opportunity to strike.

My War Council consists of King Henry (trait), Duke Edward (Retinue) and Lord Dudley (Retinue) who has just been appointed this turn. If faction zeal drops too low, or King Henry declares more central command of his Kingdom; these will be the only three generals capable of attacking in foreign lands. Generals in breach of such an order would receive a punishment such as being banished from friendly territories for X turns, to be summonsed to be supervised at the capital within X turns. For now though, this doesn't concern me as my kingdom is small and zeal is high. Lord Dudley is also given the 'Administrator' retinue, meaning he can govern, tax, recruit and build in Centrally Controlled settlements; and claim expenses back from doing so. Lord Dudley continues his march across the Irish bog marshes - still at a slow pace to forage the land and feed his troops, rather than drain his own supplies and morale ahead of the upcoming battle.

During the End Turn phase, two rebel armies spawned in England; Captain Robert - a unit of Longbowmen and an unknown unit, on the road between London and Nottingham, and Captain Francis - a unit of Longbowmen, a unit of Fyrd Spearmen, and two unknown units, on the road immediately outside York. Both groups, no doubt French sympathisers. I bring my scout, Richard, back over the border to identify Captain Francis' company, and reveals a unit of Fyrd Spearmen, and Mailed Knights. I normally prefer to take out enemy cavalry as soon as possible in battle with missle superiority, but Lord Jasper's garrison at York has no missle troops, and no heavy cavalry to counter-flank. At his command, Lord Jasper has four units of Norman Serjeants, one unit of Light Men-at-Arms, one unit of Feudal Foot Knights, and one unit of Hobilars. Leaving one unit of Norman Serjeants to act as a skeleton garrison, Lord Jasper rides out and meets Captain Franic, but promptly retreats into a forest to the West. Lord Jasper gives chase, and flanks behind the rebels, gaining a slight advantage of being on a slope; hoping to negate the range of their longbowmen, and the speed of their cavalry charge. Unfortunately, this flanking manouver has drained Lord Jasper of his movement points, and despite being next to the rebel army; cannot attack. He will also consume supplies this turn, which will cost to replenish.

Meanwhile, in Winchester and London the construction of Stonemason's huts is about to finish during the next turn and there are queued construction plans after them. Given that I am now in debt, however minor, I don't want to move Duke Edward and King Henry from their governance if I continue to spiral into debt next turn, and need to cancel the construction queue - as I cannot make changes once they have left the settlement.

I send Richard the spy back over the border towards Edinburgh again, continue the movement of Princess Margaret to Castile, and Laurence the Diplomat to Rome, and end the turn.

June 1220 A.D. - Turn 6

During the End Turn phase, the Kingdom of Portugal and the Crown of Aragon declare an alliance, Stonemason's huts are constructed in London, Winchester, Nottingham and York, and King Henry has ordered a wealth tax due to the treasury being below 1000 gold. In fact, it is now at -1255 and all construction queues have stopped - including the mine in York that would have significantly increased my income. The wealth tax means that any nobles holding a Large Estate will pay the treasury 100 gold per month until the treasury is afloat once again. Although I can order Scutage tax, I am satisfied that this period of debt will be short lived; and my generals can continue to tax their property and line their pockets for now.

Princess Margaret passes a Castilian army on the Northern coast of Iberia, en route to Castile; and secures trade agreements between our two nations - however, they do not receive us too warmly. Neither do the Genoans, whom Laurence has also negotiated trade agreements with whilst stopping for a rest on his way to Rome.

Action at last - a detachment from the garrison at Galway has rode out to meet Lord Dudley as his men leave the marshland to be confronted by two units of Yeomen Archers, one unit of Fyrd Spearmen, and one unit of Hobilars. Lord Dudley commands a unit of Norman Serjeants, a unit of Fyrd Spearmen, a unit of Light Men-at-Arms, and two units of Longbowmen. Lord Dudley attacks at night, granting him a command bonus again the captain-led detachment.

On the battlefield, I send my two Longbowmen units in loose formation to rain arrows at the hobilars before they can charge my ranks, but they are caught in the fire of the Yeomen Archers, and disobey my orders - choosing instead to return fire. Beginning to lose men in a pointless skirmish, Lord Dudley flanks around the cavalryless left flank of the enemy, and charges into the Yeomen Archers, causing a rout. In the chaos, my infantry charge forward against the Hobilars and Fyrd Spearmen to take the attention away from Lord Dudley, and my Longbowmen are ordered to cease firing. Their troops could not withstand the charge, and flee the field without chase. 762 men deployed against 500. 84 losses against 349 kills. Lord Dudley becomes a promising commander, gaining +1 star in Command. With his remaining movement points, and the detachment force fleeing in all directions, the road is clear and Lord Dudley besieges Galway castle, ordering the construction of a battering ram and two siege ladders.

Back in Yorkshire, Lord Jasper attacks Captain Francis from the rear, forcing another retreat back out into the open outside the walls of York. Lord Jasper gives chase once more, and attacks head on; again, in the middle of the night. With the enemy captain holding missle supremecy, I am forced to employ a battle strategy I normally refrain from - marching to the enemy, and getting into melee quick. As my infantry march forward in loose formation to avoid the flurry of arrows, my hobilars are sent to their left flank in preparation to hit their archers from behind. If I order my infantry to charge, they will be tired by the time they engage in combat. I need to somehow disrupt the archers' fire. Lord Jasper takes charge of his bodyguards, and rides through the ranks of friendly infantry - head on towards the archers in the knowledge that their armour should protect them, and their charge may force a fall-back. As Lord Jasper charges towards the enemy archers, my infantry are ordered to counter-charge the enemy infantry now heading towards my exposed general. A unit of Fyrd Spearmen detach themselves from the combat and block my hobilars from flanking the battle. As the spearmen chase my horses, I order my Light Men-at-Arms to chase after them. They soon engage in combat. Lord Jasper has routed the enemy archers, and the Fyrd Spearmen engaging my Light Men-at-Arms have their backs to him. His bodyguard charge into their rear, causing an all-out rout. 782 men deployed against 501. 33 losses against 355 kills. Similar numbers to Lord Dudley's battle.

But now, I am wasting time and must start to merge my southern armies into two distinct forces; a border force against Scotland, and an army to invade Wales. I decide on a meeting point - Nottingham.

With all construction cancelled and recruitment complete at Winchester Castle, Duke Edward leaves behind a garrison of Peasant Infantry, taking with him four units of Norman Serjeants, two units of Fyrd Spearmen, two units of Light Men-at-Arms, four units of Longbowmen, one unit of Yeomen Archers, one unit of Hobilars and one unit of Miles cavalry, on a forced march into the forests of Nottinghamshire. His army will consume supplies, and the men will lose morale in doing so; but I will get to Nottingham quicker, Duke Edward will be returning to Winchester where he can purchase supplies, I do not anticipate these men will engage in combat before transferring to the leadership of Lord Laurence of Nottingham, who has full supplies and thus their morale will also be reset to full, as I believe the morale of an army is directly dependent on the amount of supplies of their general.

With all construction cancelled and recruitment complete at London, King Henry leaves behind a garrison of Peasant Infantry, taking with him two units of Norman Serjeants, two units of Fyrd Spearmen, one unit of Feudal Foot Knights, one unit of Hobilars, two units of Miles cavalry, and the Mangonel. With similar rationale to Duke Edward, he force marches - at Captain Robert and his longbowmen, who retreat North and out of range. I end the turn.

July 1220 A.D. - Turn 7

During the end turn phase, General Algune mac Donnachaic of Scotland leaves the watchtower with his men and rides back to Edinburgh. King Henry left London just in time as the plague strikes, killing 2,369 citizens and 12 Peasant Infantry. Also, I was wrong about our financial situation. My expenditure is 12,662 and my income is 12,196 - then you must also consider the expenses paid out to generals, not considered in the monthly End of Turn Report. Expenses claimed are likely to be for prisoners not taken by Lord Dudley and Lord Jasper; compensation for the ransom they were never able to demand. Still, I will not order scutage tax just yet, despite now being -3121 gold in debt.

King Henry storms North, and engages Captain Robert and his longbowmen in battle along the road. Despite not being surrounded by forest on the campaign map, the battle map is right in the middle of a forest, with a road running through it. Great. I'm eager to see what the Mangonel can do, and resolve to conduct a protracted siege against the Longbowmen, as charging my cavalry towards them, even in a flanking manouver, could result in losses I don't need to expose my men to. I quickly learn that the Mangonel is very inaccurate against non-blobbed forces, but devastating when it hits. Almost knocking out a full unit of Longbowmen in two hits, Captain Robert marches forward, and will soon be in range of my infantry. I had sent Hobilars along the left flank, and Miles cavalry along the right flank. With the impending march of the Longbowmen, both flanks are ordered to converge. They emerge from the woodlands, catching the Longbowmen by surprise as they trample over bodies and force a rout. Only one Hobilar is lost as a result of the battle. King Henry orders his men to camp, with no more strength left to march towards Nottingham.

Lord Dudley's siegeworks are now complete, and he orders the storming of Galway castle, guarded only by one unit of Fyrd Spearmen, and one unit of Yeoman Archers. Both units of Longbowmen take the ladders and are ordered to scale the Western wall - overlooking the courtyard and allowing them to rain arrows down upon the garrison. Meanwhile, a unit of Fyrd Spearmen take the ram, and march in loose formation to the gates which are being watched by their Fyrd Spearmen, causing my men to be fired upon by the gate towers. As my longbowmen approach the wall, they come under fire from the Yeomen Archers within and take losses of about 20 men each, per unit. As my Longbowmen climb the walls, their Fyrd Spearmen pull back to the centre, leaving my Fyrd Spearmen to ram the gate unchallenged. I start to march my other infantry towards the castle gates. There is no time, however - the enemy's Fyrd Spearmen charge from the courtyard and head to climb the walls where my Longbowmen would stand no chance! As the front gate is breached, Lord Dudley charges into the castle and flanks the spearmen from behind - followed by infantry than engages the Yeoman Archers. Caught in the open between the castle walls upon which my Longbowmen stand, and Lord Dudley who has attacked the spearmen in the rear, the Longbowmen begin to open fire into the unprotected backsides of the Fyrd Spearmen, making short work of them. Cavalrymen and Infantry alike then rush towards the Yeomen Archers in the centre and finish them off, claiming the castle for Lord Dudley.

Lord Dudley occupies the castle, and is granted a second manorial estate as reward by the King for taking a settlement in his name. Manorial Estates each grant him an extra 100 gold in August and September - just in time for the next two months! However, Lord Dudley now owns lands he has just spent the last few months foraging off. Regional Resources are 'Adequate', meaning 18-33% remain. As long as no more armies forage, the population will not go hungry and starve to death for another eight months; or until the impending harvest. A single large army could forage off the land for a further two or three months before starving the local population, and resorting to consuming army supplies.

Lastly, I order two units of Norman Serjeants from York to march to Nottingham, to meet with Duke Edwards forces which have now arrived, and end the turn.

August 1220 A.D. - Turn 8

During the End Turn phase, passing ships from the Kingdom of Portugal blockade my port at Exeter - as does my hopefully future allies, the Crown of Castile at Winchester. Plague continues to ravage the streets of London, killing a further 2,075 citizens and 7 Peasant Infantry. The treasury has continued to spiral into debt of -7,533 by this point, and King Henry has no choice but to order Scutage Tax (however little it may help). This is all despite my income now outweighing my expenditure - but the supply and conquest expenses of my generals remains to drain the treasury.

Fortunately, Princess Margaret arrives at the court of Castile just in time to demand a ceasefire and offer trade rights in exchange. The offer is deemed generous, and accepted. Their relationship with us is now "so-so" as a result of their own doing, and I shan't push my look and go for an alliance with them until we are on better terms. Princess Margaret leaves the court in search of a Portugese settlement or army, with whom to also request a ceasefire.

King Henry's ability to march is hampered by the sluggishness of the Mangonel he carts around with him, and so Lord Jasper meets him in the field to take command of the siege equipment, and march it slowly back to York whilst King Henry and his men move as far as they can, to a bridge just outside Nottingham fortress. Duke Edward, meanwhile, is marching along the Southern coast of England now, towards Exeter, having delivered the army to Nottingham and returned via Winchester castle.

Laurence the diplomat has at last reached the ancient city of Rome where he requests an audience with the relevent authorities there; who disappointingly turn down a balanced offer of an alliance and trade rights.

Under threat from at least four Christian nations, with no allies to speak of, and Winter fast approaching, we leave this chapter in uncertain circumstances.

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Hi, I'm fond of straight factual accounts of things so I appreciate your style. The embellishments you have added give a good seasoning whilst still being a functional tutorial.

You mentioned supplies and morale: there may be a little loss of morale (from what I remember) when it is plain that there are very few supplies remaining. You could of course have planned to fuel your army by foraging so it is not significant. The loss is greater when completely out of supplies as you would expect and if there is also no remaining forage in that region your army will likely disintegrate from starvation.

The only general for whom armies will march on an empty stomach is the King, though their strength, should they engage in battle, would be negligible.

The main morale level system is separate from the supply situation.
    Last edited by Byg; February 16, 2015 at 05:02 PM.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Interesting mod. It certainly adds alot of depth and strategy to the game. Great if you want the game to be more realistic. The only mod I think I played that made the game somewhat more realistic was DLV. Will be following this closely to see how you do.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

You were asking how to attach clickable thumbnail images. I eventually figured it out as in the example below.

The horror, the horror.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	321327
    More random text

Start a reply and click advanced. Upload your images via "manage your attachments" and "add files" Then place your cursor at the point you wish your image to appear in your text. Then manage your attachments again, drag the image to the insert online section below (for me it was there already)and tick the little box next to the pic you want and then click "insert online" then "done". There might be another way, but I think that's what I did.
    Last edited by Byg; February 20, 2015 at 04:15 AM.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E