Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A Long Way From Home - A Skyrim AAR [updated 20th May 2018]

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: A Long Way From Home - A Skyrim AAR [updated 10th April 2017]

[Foolishly blows dust off the AAR too energetically; almost chokes self in the resulting dust-cloud; brushes dust off self and more or less regains composure.]

Well, it's been a long time since the last update. Sorry about that.

This post is, in fact, being reserved for Chapter 39a. Chapter 39a has been (for reasons which must at present remain a closely-guarded secret) somewhat more complicated to write than most of the others. It isn't - yet - quite ready for presentation to the public. However, since Chapter 39a does not form part of the main plot-line, I've decided that, while I continue to work on Chapter 39a, I should get on with the actual story.

So, for those of you who have completely forgotten what's going on (which is probably everyone), here's a brief summary of recent events:

Yannick (who is, as you will recollect, originally from our world, and suffering from random blackouts) is attempting to reach Winterhold. He's heard there are wizards there, who might be able to send him home. Getting to Winterhold is difficult and dangerous, though, and in order to be trained to fight, he joined the Companions, an organisation that does dangerous-but-legal jobs for pay. He was sent to rescue a kidnapped girl from Shimmermist Cave, and has not been seen since. His friends suspect that the Thalmor, believing Yannick to be a worshipper of Talos, have captured him and taken him for interrogation. They set out to find him and rescue him...

Default Re: A Long Way From Home - A Skyrim AAR [updated 15th October 2017]

Chapter Forty: Rorik's Stead and Dragon Bridge

Since the last entry in this journal, we have travelled a good distance. The first part of our journey was across country from Whiterun to a place known as Rorikstead. Indeed, there is a Rorik living there, for whom this stead might be named, if it were not for the fact that there is a well-known folk song from many years ago which also refers to a place named Rorikstead. Shulgak has observed that Rorik is a popular name in Skyrim. Perhaps the place was named after an ancestor of the current Rorik, who is certainly held in high regard.

Lydia has reminded this one that the history of Rorikstead, or of the two Roriksteads, or of any of Skyrim’s many Roriks, has no place in this account. This one begs his reader's forgiveness and will return to the task of describing our journey.

It is now one day since this one began a written account of the search for Yannick Morgan. It is the opinion both of this one and of Shulgak gra-Murz, who has some experience in tracking animals across Skyrim, that Yannick was captured earlier that day. That is to say, it is believed that Yannick was captured yesterday, and that we found his lost journal no more than an hour or two after that event.

Our first task after the discovery of Yannick's lost journal was to prepare ourselves for the difficulties ahead of us. We needed supplies, and further information about those who had captured Yannick, to enable us to guess their destination. The supplies were easy enough to obtain. Information about Yannick's kidnappers was not, and so we set out with many assumptions, but with very little certainty. In order to move as swiftly as possible, we avoided the roads, travelling in a more direct line than we could have done otherwise.

Our journey to Rorikstead was without notable incident. We met only a few wolves and one sabre-cat, and those we quickly despatched. This one was, once again, surprised by the beauty of the Skyrim landscape. And by the way that landscape has so often been enhanced by shrines and memorials set in the midst of it. This one felt it necessary to stop for a moment at the shrine of Zenithar we passed on the way to Rorikstead. Despite the great urgency of our mission, it is surely respectful to acknowledge the power and majesty of the Divines at any shrine one may come across. It also seems to this one that it is prudent to request the help of the Divines whenever a suitable opportunity presents itself.

Once in Rorikstead, we learnt that a group of Thalmor with one prisoner travelled through Rorikstead yesterday evening. The residents of Rorikstead were bewildered that the Thalmor chose not to stop in their inn. The greatly esteemed Shulgak, however, was unsurprised, claiming that the Thalmor trust no-one but themselves, and would therefore never allow a prisoner to stay overnight in a building where there were other people. The non-Thalmor people would be too great a security risk. This would seem to imply that Yannick spent last night outside. It is to be hoped that the Thalmor require him to be alive for questioning, although the mere thought of such questioning sickens the very heart of this one. Still, if the Thalmor wish to preserve Yannick alive for interrogation, they may have provided him with sleeping-furs. This one prays to all the gods, even those mysterious gods of Yannick’s own realm, whoever and wherever they may be, that we might be in time to free Yannick before the Thalmor begin their questions.

. . .

Rorikstead's inn is comfortable, although, like most in Skyrim, not large, and spending a night there was only a hardship for this one because it delayed our search for Yannick. This one's companions, however, particularly Lydia, do not see so well in the dark as khajiit, and it would therefore have been dangerous to attempt to travel at night. No doubt having had the opportunity to rest properly will also be beneficial when we come upon the Thalmor.

The journey from Rorikstead to Dragon Bridge was a little more eventful than our walk yesterday. As we passed down a hillside, we were intercepted by a team of bandits. They were clearly quite skilled with the bow, but they were unprepared for this one's two companions, who are both trained fighters. This one would like to hope that he provided a small amount of assistance, but, as would be expected given their considerable prowess, the bulk of the fighting was performed by Shulgak and Lydia.

An unfortunate recent victim of the bandits had been left lying in the middle of the road. Once the two noble ladies travelling with this one had dealt with the bandits, this one moved his body from the road, and then took up some of the many stones scattered about and built a cairn over him. There was, sadly, no way to tell who he might have been, or to inform his kin, but at least it was possible to show a small amount of respect for his life and sadness for his ultimate fate.

After this incident, this one assumed foolishly that our encounters with bandits would be over, at least for this day. It is not reasonable to expect several groups of bandits to share territory. This one was sorely mistaken. We crossed a bridge over a river Lydia named as an offshoot of the Hjaal River. Lydia explained to this one that the Hjaal divides, most unusually for a river. One part of the Hjaal travels north-east, spreading to form a marsh before it drains northwards into the River Karth and thence the Sea of Ghosts, while this other part runs north-west, becoming a tributary of the Karth further south than its marshier arm. This one was so intrigued by Lydia's account of the river that he failed to pay attention to his surroundings, and it was only when Shulgak restrained him that he was alerted to the fortified platform built across the road, and the bandits patrolling back and forth across it.

Fortuitously, despite this one's ill-advised lack of caution, the bandits did not appear to have noticed our approach. In order to atone for his failure, this one offered to shoot the bandits who could be seen patrolling. It was not a difficult task, for the bandits appeared to have no concern for whether anyone could see them, but it was all that this one could offer at that time.

Having despatched the first two bandits, we moved slowly closer to their fortification, keeping watch for signs of any further movements within the walls. Just as this one was beginning to think that there were no other bandits, a person erupted from the wooden barricade to our right, yelling and brandishing a weapon that did not look at all well made. Indeed, there was clearly some inadequacy either in his weapon, or in his technique, for Lydia and Shulgak cut him down in moments, and entered swiftly through the gate in the barricade to ensure no further bandits could appear and attack us from behind once we had passed further along the road.

Facing fine warriors such as Lydia and Shulgak, the remaining bandits and their chief had no chance of surviving the battle, and all was dealt with quickly and efficiently, enabling us to continue our journey and our quest. So it was that we found ourselves arriving at Dragon Bridge. This one had not realised that it was named so accurately, for indeed, it sits behind a formidably imposing dragon bridge. This one was tempted to ask the reason for such a terrifying yet beautiful design, but, alas, no-one has yet been able to provide the answer to this question.

Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; April 24, 2018 at 10:09 AM.

Following the Thalmor with the intention to fight them - bold, to say at least! But reading about them defeating bandits after bandits, I guess there's no need to worry!

Anyway, great chapter and well-written, as always! I wonder what chapter 39a is about... can't wait!

Caught up with your writing again.Great that you added a new chapter.I wonder what new danger lies beyond the dragon bridge.I wonder if the bandits will return for revenge.As TSK says,cant wait for the next chapter.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Quote Originally Posted by theSilentKiller View Post
    Following the Thalmor with the intention to fight them - bold, to say at least! But reading about them defeating bandits after bandits, I guess there's no need to worry!

Anyway, great chapter and well-written, as always! I wonder what chapter 39a is about... can't wait!
    Well, you know Lydia and Shulgak - 'bold' is their trademark. (Ma'Jhan's hoping they'll be able to do things sneakily and avoid actually taking on very many Thalmor.)

And thank you. (I'll do my best with Chapter 39a. I quite like it, so far...)

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    Caught up with your writing again.Great that you added a new chapter.I wonder what new danger lies beyond the dragon bridge.I wonder if the bandits will return for revenge.As TSK says,cant wait for the next chapter.
    Thank you!

[sombre and portentous voice] There are many terrible dangers beyond the dragon bridge.

[coughs; voice returns to normal] Sorry about that. Seem to have a bit of a frog in the throat. It does seem quite likely that Ma'Jhan, Lydia and Shulgak's adventures are not over yet. Ma'Jhan's right; the bandits are thoroughly dead, so no, they won't want revenge. Some new bandits might take over their territories, though.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

I'm enjoying Ma'Jhan's distinctive writing style. I like his curiosity about the original Rorik and the reason for the design of Dragon's Bridge, even if this gets him into trouble with Lydia sometimes! I look forward to seeing how our modest, self-deprecating narrator and his two bold companions deal with the 'many terrible dangers' ahead!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I can't believe I never commented on this I've been following the first chapters (you had me early on when you posted pictures of Bruma, it always makes me horny ) but during the last months I completely forgot about it, my bad. I need to catch up with the missing chapters
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I'm enjoying Ma'Jhan's distinctive writing style. I like his curiosity about the original Rorik and the reason for the design of Dragon's Bridge, even if this gets him into trouble with Lydia sometimes! I look forward to seeing how our modest, self-deprecating narrator and his two bold companions deal with the 'many terrible dangers' ahead!
    Thank you!

Ah yes, the dangers. Well, it'll probably be a bit chilly, and everyone will need to wrap up warm and wear their woolly hats. But apart from that... oh, who am I kidding? This is Skyrim. Pretty much everything tries to kill you. (I'm sure it'll all be fine. )

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I can't believe I never commented on this I've been following the first chapters (you had me early on when you posted pictures of Bruma, it always makes me horny ) but during the last months I completely forgot about it, my bad. I need to catch up with the missing chapters
    Thank you, Flinn!

I like Bruma, too. (Not as much as you do, though! )

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

well my very first character with Oblivion was a Nord from Bruma, so you can guess the excitement when they announced Skyrim (which I'm still playing on Xbox every once in a while)
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Ooh I wonder what you have planned for 39a? Let's hope it'll be ready soon.

Great to see an update, as always another fantastic chapter.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    well my very first character with Oblivion was a Nord from Bruma, so you can guess the excitement when they announced Skyrim (which I'm still playing on Xbox every once in a while)
    Oh, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Ooh I wonder what you have planned for 39a? Let's hope it'll be ready soon.

Great to see an update, as always another fantastic chapter.
    Thank you!

I really must get round to writing the next chapter.

On the subject of Chapter 39a, who can say what it might contain? I can, however, promise you that I will work diligently and tirelessly to reach the point where it is appropriate for it to be published.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

I had no idea that you actually posted a Skyrim AAR Caillagh, until I took a long look at your sig AAR banner.

Which I like, especially the Ancient Nord structure you manage to capture in the image or gave you Lifthrasir free hands or whoever made that sig AAR banner.

Anyway, you asked us, in your first post, if anyone knew a map of Skyrim and yes I know a map that someone posted a link to in my Skyrim Map Markers thread at AFK. In case you haven't tried my Skyrim Map Markers mod yet then give it a try and I can assure you that you'll have plenty of places to discover, places you have no idea that existed in Skyrim. Discovering these places might give Yannick and his friends more stuff to add to the journal on your travels.

I couldn't help, but notice that you said Yannick was freezing when stepping outside and I wonder if you ever tried Chesko's Campfire mod or Frostfall (requires Campfire) before, if you want more immersion in-game that is. In fact, I can't play Skyrim without having the Campfire mod and the Amazing Follower Tweaks (AFT) mod in my loadorder, plus my own mod of course since I've been updating it a couple of times for the first 6-8 months this year.

I'll try to read every chapter you have written in your Skyrim AAR. Good luck with the other chapters and I'm quite sure that the future chapters will be as a good as you have now.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Hi, Leonardo!

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your comment actually on this thread (rather than by PM).

Thank you for your very kind comment about my sig banner (which I know currently isn't displayed in my sig as I type this - one version or another of it will be back once some of the annual competitions are over). I did it - it's just a section taken from the screenshot I used in the OP, with the text added to it. (It's the view from Lost Tongue Overlook over towards Forelhost, and is actually a screenshot from the first Skyrim campaign I ever played. Yannick hasn't been there yet. )

Thank you also for your map link.

I've used Campfire (though I don't currently have it loaded in Yannick's campaign), but not (yet) Frostfall. When I say Yannick's freezing, that's me telling the story, not something reflecting any mechanical effects within the game. It just seems wrong not to mention the cold when there's all that snow lying around!

I think it must be time we had a new chapter...

Default Re: A Long Way From Home - A Skyrim AAR [updated 21st January 2018]

Chapter Forty-One: Northwatch Keep

Much against this one's wishes, we have spent two days in Dragon Bridge, confined here by a blizzard. The snow whirls so thickly it is impossible to see one side of the street from the other, the wind blows fiercely enough to make walking all but impossible, and it is so cold every hair of this one's fur aches. This one had thought himself acclimatised to colder weather from his years in Cyrodiil, but he fears he had not properly allowed for the conditions of Skyrim. This weather is entirely too cold and too wet. It is disturbing to learn that conditions further north are colder yet. However, this one is reliably, if implausibly, assured that when the weather is sufficiently cold, all of the wetness is frozen from the air and trapped underfoot within the glittering snow and treacherous ice. So at least this one will be dry as he freezes to death.

Our enforced stay here has not been without usefulness. We have had plentiful opportunity to speak to the residents of Dragon Bridge. Regrettably, they cannot say for sure whether Yannick passed through this town. They inform us that many Thalmor patrols, often with prisoners, are seen here each day. The people here no longer pay any attention to these patrols. It seems certain, however, that Yannick was being taken either to Northwatch Keep or to the Thalmor Embassy. Although nobody ever sees prisoners being transported there, it is believed that the most significant prisoners are taken to the Embassy so that the Embassy staff can 'assist' with their questioning. It is thought, however, that all prisoners captured openly, as Yannick was, are taken to Northwatch Keep. There is, of course, no way to know whether prisoners from Northwatch might occasionally be transported to the Embassy. Shulgak is of the opinion that this might happen if a prisoner at Northwatch is found to have important information. Still, Yannick must surely pass through Northwatch Keep, and so that is where we will look for him.

This morning, the sky had cleared, although this one still felt that knives of wind were blowing straight through him. Lydia, may her name and family be blessed by all the Divines, pulled three heavy fur cloaks from her pack and handed one to each of us. Shulgak rolled hers carefully and packed it away, remarking that it will be very useful if we are obliged to sleep in an ice cave. This one is praying that we will not need to do this. He can feel his whiskers aching at the mere thought of such surroundings, and considers Shulgak’s impressive fortitude to be most remarkable. Lydia, more prudently in this one's estimation, chose to wear her cloak. Thus, more prepared for the cold than this one had feared, we departed from Dragon Bridge.

The people of Dragon Bridge had suggested that we travel along a path behind the lumber mill, rather than simply walking up the main road. The pathway route is a little faster than the road route, but its main advantage was that we were much less likely to meet Thalmor patrols. We have, of course, every right to walk along the roads of Skyrim, but the Thalmor patrols in this area are known for stopping random people on the road and questioning them. It is unlikely that a patrol would find any reason for detaining or imprisoning us, but the questioning would undoubtedly delay us, and this we wished to avoid. It would be necessary to return to the road eventually, and risk meeting the patrols, as there is no alternative route. Still, to circumvent the patrols even for a short time would reduce the delay we suffered at their hands.

The journey is much quicker in the telling than it was in the travelling, but still, it is reasonable to say that we met very few difficulties on our way. We were cautious, of course, and tried to stay off the road so that we could be partially hidden in the rocks and trees. Regrettably, although staying away from the road allowed us to avoid people, it also allowed this one to be introduced to the ice wolves of Skyrim. This one was foolish enough to be deceived by the first one we came across, thinking it to be merely a differently-coloured wolf, camouflaged against its icy surroundings. Not so. In order to survive in the harshness of northern Skyrim, the ice wolf is a much tougher and more ferocious beast than its calmer southern cousin. This one was fortunate not to lose a hand. As so often, Lydia and Shulgak enabled this one to survive the fight unscathed, while this one was able to offer only a little help with a few arrows. Truly, Skyrim is dangerous in more ways than this one had anticipated.

By the skill and good judgement of this one’s companions, we came within view of Northwatch Keep without suffering any serious injuries or delays. It is set in the bleakest, coldest, most isolated place this one can imagine. It is easy to see why the Thalmor chose this place for their fort; any escaping prisoner would freeze to death within five yards of the wall if he were not somehow supplied with food, warm clothing and a way to start a fire. It is surrounded by a wall that is partly wooden palisade, and partly immensely thick stone. Two gates pierce this wall. One, the main gate, is more or less to the south of the Keep, while the other, smaller gate is to the north.

We watched for a while, as discreetly as possible, from behind the shoulder of a nearby snow-covered hill. To our dismay, we saw regular patrols along the top of the stone walls. Lydia proposed that we simply storm the fort, as there was no way we could remain unseen while we approached. Shulgak, however, suggested that one of us should walk openly up to the main gate and engage the guard there in conversation, perhaps by pretending to be lost. This, she felt, would attract the attention of at least one additional guard. The other two of us might then be able to move round to the rear gate without being noticed. If they were then to begin a fight, they would have at least a few moments to defeat the guard at the gate before any other guard could reach them.

Shulgak's plan appealed greatly to this one, and he offered instantly to be part of the team taking on the fight at the smaller gate. To this one's regret, Shulgak and Lydia felt that it would be more convincing to have a genuine stranger to Skyrim approach the guard at the main gate, and so this one was assigned that part of the task. On reflection, this one cannot help but admit that his fighting skills are no match for those of his companions. It was undoubtedly the more sensible arrangement to have them fight their way in while he acted as a distraction.

Once the fight had started, every guard except the one at the main gate ran to join in the defence of the keep. The guard at the main gate still believed that this one was merely a coincidence, unconnected to the attack on the fort, which made it easy for this one to defeat him and run to help Lydia and Shulgak. This one cannot honestly say that two such fine warriors could ever find his help necessary, but it is true to say that his luck overcame his skill, and he was able to shoot several of the Thalmor soldiers and at least slow them down.

It was not a long fight, with the Thalmor having lost much of their advantage as a result of our successful surprise attack, but the ground was strewn with bodies and painted with blood before it was over.

And yet, of course, it is not over. This one is writing this within the courtyard of Northwatch Keep, where we are having a short rest, a brief meal of bread and cured meat, and a final inspection of our weapons and armour before we face the much greater challenge of fighting our way through the keep and effecting Yannick's escape before reinforcements can arrive.
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; April 24, 2018 at 10:10 AM.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Great to see another update from you Caillagh! (Although this one still wonders whether "chapter 39a" will ever see the light of day...)

It seems Ma'Jahn and co are getting very close to where they think Yannick will be found, but I cannot help but wonder if they really will find him there. I shall eagerly await the next chapter!

Quote Originally Posted by Axis Sunsoar View Post
    Great to see another update from you Caillagh! (Although this one still wonders whether "chapter 39a" will ever see the light of day...)

It seems Ma'Jahn and co are getting very close to where they think Yannick will be found, but I cannot help but wonder if they really will find him there. I shall eagerly await the next chapter!
    Thank you!

Ah, the mystery of Yannick's true location... [taps side of nose enigmatically] Who knows where he might be or what adventures might be found on the way there?*

*Well, me. Obviously. But I'm not telling (yet).

Chapter 39a? We'll see...

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

It's excellent to see A Long Way from Home continue! I'm continuing to enjoy Ma'Jhan's distinctive, darkly humorous style - and his modest descriptions of his contributions to fights alongside Shulgak and Lydia. As ever, your screenshots are well done. The heavily armoured guard who met Ma'Jhan looks tough, so I wonder if Ma'Jhan is a more effective warrior than he is admitting in Yannick's journal.

Ah an attack on a heavily fortified island(i mean there's snow all around it) like prison and a jail break .This aar has it all .Good job man .I didn't have time to read earlier,i should have ,i am sorry .
    This aar really deserves all the awards it has got .This for me is a model aar .
    I am gonna print it out whole now once i get the chance .I want to keep it as a book .After all you cant trust the internet these days ,nor the electricity .
    Last edited by Owlparrot3; February 06, 2018 at 05:43 AM.

Thank you, mad orc, that's very kind.

Printed and now i am binding it .Las Vegas baby .