Thread: [Submod] African War Elephants as Generals (Carthage and Ptolemies)

Default [Submod] African War Elephants as Generals (Carthage and Ptolemies)

This mod simply allows the player to have Carthaginian or Ptolemaic generals ride atop African War Elephants in both campaign and custom battles once more!

Ahistorical? Yes, but I missed performing an epic warcry from atop my mighty elephant steed.

Thanks to Dresden for pointing out how to do this.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5ae...RSVjhobGM/edit

Edit: Feb. 18
    Fixed an issue where Ptolemies could not recruit elephant generals in the campaign
    Last edited by ThatWhichThinks; February 18, 2015 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Default Re: [Submod] African War Elephants as Generals (Carthage and Ptolemies)

Sorry to anyone who tried to download this and couldn't; I forgot to set this as a publicly available file in Google Drive. You should all be able to download it now.

Have you battle tested these units?
    Regular elephant units are pretty much useless in DEI 1.04a, and go berserk after only seconds in melee.
    How do your elephant general hold up?

The new Indian ones are cool. They go berserk as soon as they are melee but they are heavily armored so if you use them right you get tons of damage and moral boosts against the enemy. While berserk you can't control where your unit goes but you still can use the generals special powers like inspire second wind ect

I still find elephants to be pretty durable in 1.05. I usually send them in to route a strong cavalry mass or to smash the flanks of an engaged or tired infantry formation.

When I have elephant generals, I usually opt for the latter option. Try to clear out a path along the flanks with cavalry or other elephants, and launch the elephants into the flank/rear of the enemy line. Right as they make contact, I use the general abilities (I usually choose either Inspire or Battle Cry). Sometime I am even able to route some units before the elephants go berserk if morale is high enough.

Elephant Charge + Fear + Battle Cry gives the enemy quite a morale hit!

Naturally, you should always beware of enemy skirmishers and cover your elephant general's flank or rear with cavalry or supporting infantry.

At least this is the way I use them; other people may have different ideas.

Just uploaded a version of this to the Steam workshop in case anyone is interested.