Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How i change the unit stats?

Default How i change the unit stats?

Hi, first of fall, sorry for my english.. is bad. I have the ETW and i change the distance that a unit can shoot, i have the DB editor and i go to projectiles_tables\projectiles and i change for example, 125 to 150, 90 to 115, etc. I saved and i go to the game... but the stats are the sames, no change I download now the editpackfilemanager and i cant edit the .packs because is DT enabled :S help? Thanks

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: How i change the unit stats?

Welcome, cris4100.

I made a mini-mod to change the range of units using:-
    - Erasmus777's tutorial on how to make a mod
    - Erasmus777's Pack File Manager 1.5.9 (it's for Napoleon Total War, but it works for Empire Total War as well)

I will attach this mini-mod as a zipped file below. If you would like to do so, please download it, unzip it, open it with Pack File Manager and edit the range to whatever numbers you want. This is a beta version of a weapon range mini-mod which I intend to make available as part of my Early American Revolution mod collection (there is a link in my signature if you are interested). I have only tested this mini-mod in one battle - I did not experience any problems.
    [Edit to add] I have made an alternative weapon range mod and there is information about this below.

How to use this mod

What this mod does: this mod increases the range of some units. You can choose between two versions of this mini-mod:-
    - If you use
    EAR_projectiles_beta.pack: this mini-mod changes the range of round shot (from 400 to 800 for most cannon, to 700 for small cannon such as 3-lbers) and canister shot (from 125 to 150). The range of howitzers has also been increased (for most ammunition, from 350 to 500). This mini-mod does not affect the range of muskets or other units.
    - If you use EAR_projectiles_muskets_beta.pack
    : this mini-mod changes the range of flintlock muskets (from 70 to 90), light infantry muskets (from 90 to 110) and rifles (from 125 to 150). Some infantry units, such as American colonial militia, use matchlock muskets so they still have a range of 70 (US minutemen use flintlock muskets, so they have a range of 90, as you can see from the image in the spoiler below.) This mini-mod does not affect the range of artillery or other units.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

These minutemen would normally have a rage of 70, but with the EAR_projectiles_muskets mod, their range has been increased to 90

How to install this mod: Download it (it's available at the bottom of this post), unzip it (e.g. using 7zip, which is available free online) and copy it into your data folder (on this Windows 7 PC, the path to the data folder is: C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Empire Total War/data; if your computer is different then the path may vary.) You do not need to activate this mod using a mod manager or script file (as it is a 'movie'- type mod which activates automatically.)

How to uninstall this mod: Simply cut and paste it so that it is no longer in your data folder or delete it

Compatibility: This mod should be compatible with any other mod which does not modify the range of weapons. If you use this mod, you need to use either EAR_projectiles_beta.pack or EAR_projectiles_muskets_beta.pack, not both.

How to edit this mod to set your own weapon ranges: simply open the mod with Pack File Manger, edit the 'Range' column, save the mod and put the edited version in your C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Empire Total War/data

Known issues: if you use a mod which increases artillery range like this one then, sooner or later, one of your generals will be killed by artillery within the first few seconds of a battle. This has only happened to me rarely but it can happen.

Credits: I am very grateful to Erasmus777 for the excellent tutorial and Pack File Manager 1.5.9 which were used to make this mod

Modding tips for beginners: Even a tiny error (such as calling a unit euro_dragoon_colonial instead of euro_dragoons_colonial) can cause crashes or unexpected effects. When I edit mods when I am tired, I tend to make errors so I avoid doing that. Only edit modded files, not the original game's vanilla files. I don't even open the vanilla files which the game uses to look at them - instead, I made copies of the main game's files which I look at when modding (main.pack and patch.pack up to patch5.pack). I made those copies so that, when I look for information, I only open copies of the original files (in case I accidentally edit those files while looking at them). I recommend making a few small changes and then testing your mod, because it can be very difficult to find a tiny error if you changed a lot of tables.

Even if you are careful, modding can cause crashes and unexpected side effects. In particular, you may experience 'save game corruption' (when loading a saved game crashes the game) or what I call the '1703 end turn bug' (when, in a new campaign, the game crashes at the end of 1703). If you experience either of those problems, then I recommend this solution which works for me:

- Find your scripts file. On my Windows 7 PC, this is in: C:/Users/[my user name]/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/scripts

- Make a copy of the preferences_empire_script.txt file and put that copy somewhere else in case you ever want to put it back (I never have, but it seems wise in principle to copy a file you are about to delete)

- Delete the preferences_empire_script.txt file

- Start the game normally; you don't need to replace the preferences_empire_script.txt file beforehand, because the game should automatically detect that you don't have a preferences file and should create a new one for you.

My other basic guides to modding ETW are listed here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alwyn; September 06, 2015 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Welcome, cris4100.

I made a mini-mod to change the range of units using:-
    - Erasmus777's tutorial on how to make a mod
    - Erasmus777's Pack File Manager 1.5.9 (it's for Napoleon Total War, but it works for Empire Total War as well)

I will attach this mini-mod as a zipped file below. If you would like to do so, please download it, unzip it, open it with Pack File Manager and edit the range to whatever numbers you want. This is a beta version of a weapon range mini-mod which I intend to make available as part of my Early American Revolution mod collection (there is a link in my signature if you are interested). I have only tested this mini-mod in one battle - I did not experience any problems.

How to use this mod

What this mod does: This mini-mod simply changes the range of round shot (from 400 to 800 for most cannon, to 700 for small cannon such as 3-lbers) and canister shot (from 125 to 150).

How to install this mod: Download it (it's available at the bottom of this post), unzip it (e.g. using 7zip, which is available free online) and copy it into your data folder (on this Windows 7 PC, the path to the data folder is: C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Empire Total War/data; if your computer is different then the path may vary.) You do not need to activate this mod using a mod manager or script file (as it is a 'movie'- type mod which activates automatically.)

How to uninstall this mod: Simply cut and paste it so that it is no longer in your data folder or delete it

Compatibility: This mod should be compatible with any other mod which does not modify the range of weapons.

How to edit this mod to set your own weapon ranges: simply open the mod with Pack File Manger, edit the 'Range' column, save the mod and put the edited version in your C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Empire Total War/data

Credits: I am very grateful to Erasmus777 for the excellent tutorial and Pack File Manager 1.5.9 which were used to make this mod

Modding tips for beginners: Even a tiny error (such as calling a unit euro_dragoon_colonial instead of euro_dragoons_colonial) can cause crashes or unexpected effects. When I edit mods when I am tired, I tend to make errors so I avoid doing that. Only edit modded files, not the original game's vanilla files. I don't even open the vanilla files which the game uses to look at them - instead, I made copies of the main game's files which I look at when modding (main.pack and patch.pack up to patch5.pack). I made those copies so that, when I look for information, I only open copies of the original files (in case I accidentally edit those files while looking at them). I recommend making a few small changes and then testing your mod, because it can be very difficult to find a tiny error if you changed a lot of tables.

Even if you are careful, modding can cause crashes and unexpected side effects. In particular, you may experience 'save game corruption' (when loading a saved game crashes the game) or what I call the '1703 end turn bug' (when, in a new campaign, the game crashes at the end of 1703). If you experience either of those problems, then I recommend this solution which works for me:

- Find your scripts file. On my Windows 7 PC, this is in: C:/Users/[my user name]/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/scripts

- Make a copy of the preferences_empire_script.txt file and put that copy somewhere else in case you ever want to put it back (I never have, but it seems wise in principle to copy a file you are about to delete)

- Delete the preferences_empire_script.txt file

- Start the game normally; you don't need to replace the preferences_empire_script.txt file beforehand, because the game should automatically detect that you don't have a preferences file and should create a new one for you.
    Thanks Alwyn i will test it. One question only, i read that i can edit the stasts, is for naval and land? Thanks again

Can i edit my reply? for no answer 2 times
    Alwyn i forgotten question you, Can I edit all units in your mod? Because i just want edit the range of the musquets, the canons are fine to my in the original. Thanks.

Yes, you can edit the range of weapons for both naval units and land units with this mod. Naval guns all have the prefix naval_, e.g. naval_12_pounder_shot.

Yes, you can edit the range of the muskets and change the range of cannons back to the original range (400 for round shot, 125 for canister), if you would like to do so.

[Edit] you will be able to edit your posts when you have 25 posts.

Yes, you can edit the range of weapons for both naval units and land units with this mod. Naval guns all have the prefix naval_, e.g. naval_12_pounder_shot.

Yes, you can edit the range of the muskets and change the range of cannons back to the original range (400 for round shot, 125 for canister), if you would like to do so.

[Edit] you will be able to edit your posts when you have 25 posts.
    Thanks for answer. But i have a problem... the stats are the same

If I edit the projectile in the patch5.pack the stats change, its works... but when i go to units_stats_land i have a error

I think I have found the problem. I had not renamed the projectiles table. Experienced modders recommend renaming a database table in a mod file. I will upload a revised version of the range mini-mod to my post, above. In the revised version, I renamed the projectiles table from 'projectiles' to 'ear_projectiles' (EAR stands for Early American Revolution).

Quote Originally Posted by cris4100 View Post
    If I edit the projectile in the patch5.pack the stats change, its works... but when i go to units_stats_land i have a error
    You mentioned that you edited the projectile numbers 'in the patch5.pack'. Are you trying to edit a mod file or the original patch5.pack file? You can modify the original game files if you want to, but experienced modders tend to recommend editing mod files, not the original game files. Editing mod files means that you can always take out the changes if you want to - this can be very helpful because modding can cause expected side effects and crashes. There is also the advice from Creative Assembly which, if I understand it correctly, advises modders to use mod packs rather than editing the original game files.

Are you trying to extract a copy of unit_stats_land from patch5.pack? So far, I have only been able to extract the unit_stats_land from patch.pack. If you download a copy of my Early American Revolution mini-mods, you will see that the EAR_unit stats file is a modded unit_stats_land table. I'll post a copy of that file here - feel free to download it, unzip it and use it to edit unit statistics to whatever you want. (This mod file was made using Pack File Manager 1.5.3, which is a feature of husserlTW's EasyDB tool. To use PFM 1.5.3, simply start EasyDB and select 'PFM' from the options on the top of the screen.)

Alternatively, you could try using a more recent version of Pack File Manager to extract a copy of unit_stats_land from patch5.pack. PikeStance, the project manager for the Imperial Splendour mod, wrote recently that he uses Pack File Manager 3.2.1 and Pack File Manager 3.1.6 for modding Empire Total War (since version 3.2.1 cannot read all Empire Total War database tables.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alwyn; January 30, 2015 at 01:30 AM.

You mentioned that you edited the projectile numbers 'in the patch5.pack'. Are you trying to edit a mod file or the original patch5.pack file? You can modify the original game files if you want to, but experienced modders tend to recommend editing mod files, not the original game files. Editing mod files means that you can always take out the changes if you want to - this can be very helpful because modding can cause expected side effects and crashes. There is also the advice from Creative Assembly which, if I understand it correctly, advises modders to use mod packs rather than editing the original game files.

Are you trying to extract a copy of unit_stats_land from patch5.pack? So far, I have only been able to extract the unit_stats_land from patch.pack. If you download a copy of my Early American Revolution mini-mods, you will see that the EAR_unit stats file is a modded unit_stats_land table. I'll post a copy of that file here - feel free to download it, unzip it and use it to edit unit statistics to whatever you want. (This mod file was made using Pack File Manager 1.5.3, which is a feature of husserlTW's EasyDB tool. To use PFM 1.5.3, simply start EasyDB and select 'PFM' from the options on the top of the screen.)

Alternatively, you could try using a more recent version of Pack File Manager to extract a copy of unit_stats_land from patch5.pack. PikeStance, the project manager for the Imperial Splendour mod, wrote recently that he uses Pack File Manager 3.2.1 and Pack File Manager 3.1.6 for modding Empire Total War (since version 3.2.1 cannot read all Empire Total War database tables.)
    Thanks again, but the problem was a dll of my pc. It was causing (is causing "caused" ? ) problem in some games and in some archives of the pc . Now i can edit, and I test your mod in the Empire Earth and it works (i test the last patch)

Yes, now i learned "clon" i want modificated, but i cant with the PFM (when i click in a db i have error :/ ), but the DBeditor works (in my case). Now i can edit the stats .

Thanks for all Alwyn and sorry again for my english .

Very well - I kind of feel bad raising this year-old dead thread back to life but well.

I've been trying to tinker with the unit stats in ETW with PFM 5.0, to no avail.

Specifically, when I load up the db with PFM, I see the modified stats, but once I turn the game on, it goes back to the original stats. I can't figure out why. Any idea?

Hello. Have you activated your .PACK file in "user.empire_script.txt" file?

FOLDER: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts\

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel_80 View Post
    Hello. Have you activated your .PACK file in "user.empire_script.txt" file?

FOLDER: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts\

Yes, of course. Still doesn't work.

Ok. From which did .PACK file extract the table that you modified? Did you make sure that the table was of the most recent .PACK file? (main.pack, patch2.pack ... patch5.pack)

If you wish, let me try your mod to see if it works to me and try to discover what happens.

Ok. From which did .PACK file extract the table that you modified? Did you make sure that the table was of the most recent .PACK file? (main.pack, patch2.pack ... patch5.pack)

If you wish, let me try your mod to see if it works to me and try to discover what happens.
    I first extracted the main.pack file, then since it didn't work, I tried patch5.pack. Neither works.

Here is one sample pack I made - I only changed the cost of 6th rate and sloop by x10. [I just needed to see if it would load, as Britain has a fleet of 6th rate and a sloop at the start.]

http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta.../British2.pack

The correct thing is that the table is inside in DB folder, but even then the cost changes of units don't arise; I don't know why mysteries...

I will continue investigating, I have tried to change the costs in "custom battle" and they don't change either. It also doesn't work adding a prefix to the table (brit_units)...

The correct thing is that the table is inside in DB folder, but even then the cost changes of units don't arise; I don't know why mysteries...

I will continue investigating, I have tried to change the costs in "custom battle" and they don't change either. It also doesn't work adding a prefix to the table (brit_units)...

The thing is, this sample looks that way because it didn't work when I put all the files under db directory. Still trying to figure this out, but no luck.

P.S. Thank you very much for your time and effort. I appreciate it.

I have made it work. By adding more tables related to the units, the changes take effect. I don't know exactly what are the strictly necessary tables that should be included, but it works.

P.S: If what you want is for Britain to build fewer ships, I would change the "create_time" option (suggestion).

Link of PACK file: https://mega.nz/#!OEZAwagD!haVDY54m2...whqOAEOsDWcc_M

Quote Originally Posted by Sylphides View Post
    Very well - I kind of feel bad raising this year-old dead thread back to life but well.

I've been trying to tinker with the unit stats in ETW with PFM 5.0, to no avail.

Specifically, when I load up the db with PFM, I see the modified stats, but once I turn the game on, it goes back to the original stats. I can't figure out why. Any idea?
    Hello, I see someone has been trying to help you already, but I change unit stats all the time. What exactly are you trying to do? Cost, melee skill, firing skill, reloading skill?

Are you trying to change stats in a mod or in the vanilla files?

In vanilla, ground units are in patch5 and naval are in patch2 and patch5.

I have made it work. By adding more tables related to the units, the changes take effect. I don't know exactly what are the strictly necessary tables that should be included, but it works.

P.S: If what you want is for Britain to build fewer ships, I would change the "create_time" option (suggestion).

Link of PACK file: https://mega.nz/#!OEZAwagD!haVDY54m2...whqOAEOsDWcc_M
    I am inclined to think that I am doing something terribly wrong. I can't load your pack either. I don't know why.

So - let's get back to the basics - just so I don't miss something before I attempt this.

How do you activate the mod pack? I thought user.empire_script.txt was all I needed there, or am I missing some steps in there? What else should I do to activate the mod pack?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast