Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Request] Less Garrison Units.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: [Request] Less Garrison Units.

I have begun creating the submod. I have reduced lvl 1 minor city buildings to 10 units in total where the majority is low level units.
    Lvl 2 buildings will also be reduced also with the majority being low level but with a few extra high level than the previous building
    The lvl 3 and especially lvl 4 buildings will only have their garrison reduced slightly. Some adds 3 of the highest lvl units and 4-5 of the second highest. These will be slightly reduced.
    As it is now it seems like the Hellenic factions have a bigger garrison than the barbarians. Should this also be the case for the submod or should everyone just have the same amount?

I like the sound of barbarians having smaller garrisons, they are able to expand and forge massive empires far too easily (well, in the two reasonably long campaigns that I played this happened), and it makes sense that, with the relative lack of infrastructure and governing organization, they would have smaller garrisons than "civilized" cultures.

I am also interested in this submod.

I know there's a submod out there (PO nightmare) which removes garrisons entirely. This would really mix things up. Factions would probably need slightly higher army limits to cope defensively.

To remove garrisons completely sounds dumb, sorry to say that, but it does. The AI is already poor at reacting to player moves. I will just nerf them a bit. Hellenic lvl 3 buildings atm get 16-17 units where half of them is some kind of hoplite

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    To remove garrisons completely sounds dumb, sorry to say that, but it does. The AI is already poor at reacting to player moves.
    ^ I agree, next thing you know is an entirely undefended settlement that you're free to conquer.

Tomorrow I hope to begin and if I get jacked on too much coffee have the submod ready for testing. The more civilized factions will have a slightly bigger garrison. Or perhaps they should all have the same garrison size but the barbarian ones have fewer high tier units ?

Tomorrow I hope to begin and if I get jacked on too much coffee have the submod ready for testing. The more civilized factions will have a slightly bigger garrison. Or perhaps they should all have the same garrison size but the barbarian ones have fewer high tier units ?
    I think civilised has larger garrison, barbarians have slightly better units.

Quote Originally Posted by sonataode View Post
    ^ I agree, next thing you know is an entirely undefended settlement that you're free to conquer.
    Ah but you're forgetting the AI will easily take settlements from you. In fact your ally neighbour might find those free settlements too juicy to resist.. you may end up with more wars on more fronts... settlements come and go easily, so you have to protect the valuable ones with your limited resources.

I think it may be quite fun. A lot more fast paced.

But it might not work as I envisage.

So reduce it for smaller citites but increase it for the bigger ones?
    Just bear in mind that the AI have a tendency to make it a priority to upgrade the main city building to at least lvl 3.
    In the pack file the different garrison units is connected to a certain line. Like veteran warriors is tied to rome_garrison_5 and levy spearmen is tied to rome_garrison_2
    Then you just find each city level and look at how many lines is bound to it. So if you want 2 levy spearmen and 1 veteran warrior. you would have a line for each of them.
    rome_garrison_2
    rome_garrison_2
    rome_garrison_5
    So by removing or adding these kind of lines you can choose exactly what the kind of garrison you want for each tier of the buildings.
    In which file are this lines? I cant find them...

Foederatus

It would be a nice mod.

Man I remember this thread from back then. Was really looking forward to it, too bad it was never finished.

I think I'll just do it myself, should be easy enough

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by yaxl3y View Post
    Man I remember this thread from back then. Was really looking forward to it, too bad it was never finished.

I think I'll just do it myself, should be easy enough
    Can you share after you have done it?

Quote Originally Posted by hunnic26 View Post
    Can you share after you have done it?
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...rrison-for-DEI

Foederatus

Thank you man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12