Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Colonies & Empires: The Original WIP Thread

Default Re: [WIP] Colonies & Empires: a New World mod

Quote Originally Posted by UchihaMadara21 View Post
    I really like the concept here. You are one of the few people in this forum who actually understand the issue about the 'names". In the case of the Purépechas of northern Mexico, the title of Tarascos/Tarascans is considered very offensive. I can't believe how CA didn't paid attention to this; it's almost like they just searched it up on Google and used the first name they've found.

About the Chichimecah, the main issue is that this title is not concise. Many historians believe that it was the Mexica and other peoples who called them that way because of their pratices and culture. The word Chichimecatl (singular) has a variety of possible meanings, but the most accepted are "Inhabitant of Chichiman" (The Land of the Milk) and "One Who drinks Milk". For uncertain reasons, this term was often used to describe nomadic, hunter-gatherer people considered "uncivilized" or "barbarian". The point is that there were many ethnic groups called Chichimecah, and the Otomitl/Otomí and Zacatecatl/Zacatecos, who lived in central Mexico, were the main ones. Here's a map regarding the most prominent Chichimeca groups inhabiting the valley at that time (although it's from 1550, the situation was basically the same in Pre-Conquest periods):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So, my idea is that instead of a single playable faction, you could make the regions of Zacatecatl and Otomitl as heavily garrisoned "rebel" villages/towns with the title of Altepetl (which means city-state, town, village, etc) followed by the name of the local communities. For example, the hypothetical hometown of the Zacatecos could be called Altepetl Zacatlan.

Armies of these ethnic groups should be recruitable at the entire region of Central Mexico (including at territories of the Mexica, Tlaxcalans and even Spanish), as Area of Recruitment units and mercenaries. Historically, the main advantage of the Chichimecas, Purépechas and Tlaxcalans over the Mexica were their expert use of the bow. It's registered that the army of Mexica emperor Axayacatl was completely destroyed only by a number of archers hired by the Purépecha Empire, who kept firing on their enemies from the walls of their capital, finishing the battle with a ferocious charge. Judging by that, it shouldn't be easy to conquer these "rebel" Chichimeca settlements, since the garrison armies would be filled with skilled archers who were also formidable hand-to-hand combatants (a real unique trait). The same logic would be applied to the Purepechas and the Tlaxcalans.

Also, it would be interesting to point out that important cities in the New World (Mexico and the Andes, for the most part) had flags or emblems representing the local aristocracy, their families or even the symbolism/etimology of the city itself. The Lordship of Tlaxcala/Tlahtoloyan Tlaxcallan (this is how Tlaxcala as a faction should be called in-game - there wasn't a City-State named Tlaxcala, it was a province), a "confederation" formed by the lords of Ocotelolco, Quiahuiztlan, Tepeticpac and Tizatlan, had four distinct flags representing each city/lord. The Triple Alliance, composed by Tenochtitlan, Texcoco and Tlacopan, also followed the same system.

Mods like Stainless Steel have a script that automatically gives the title of "Duke" (a trait/retinue which offer unique advantages) to family members governing a certain settlement. Something like that would fit the political organization of the New World in a very convincing manner. I have most of the desings of these emblems stored in my computer as a resource for old projects.
    I personally would love to hear more about it all- the city states, the native names, etc.- and have all the data in the game in some form or another. The more detail that you put into the factions (accurate unit descriptions, settlement names, longer building histories), the better. It seems you have so much knowledge here as a team on a historical subject that is rarely talked about (as we can all see from the vanilla game), and it would be so refreshing if this mod were able to add all of these details in.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    I know what you mean. I've thought a bit about it as well.

I feel that the vanilla-style shields are a quintessential factor of the "feel" of the vanilla game. The vanilla game is what inspired this mod above all else, so keeping them is kind of a small tribute to that.

Another point is that the concept or heraldry didn't exist in the Americas in the same way it did in Europe, so whatever shape I choose isn't going to suit anybody. The reason I kind of like the vanilla-style shields is that this mod is essentially about an enormous, simultaneous invasion of the New World, by the Old World. Yes, Native Americans would absolutely never "use" shields like these ones, but my point is that the Europeans forced their culture onto the Americans, and the shields are "symbolic" of that (if you'll humour my reasoning ).

Don't get me wrong, though, I would definitely consider changing them, especially if someone with greater skills than my own came on board.

I was going to keep these under wraps for a while, but tell me what you honestly think of these - my very first attempts at Inca and Muisca shields.

Absolutely. Like I alluded to in my previous post, I would like Colonies & Empires to become a base upon which other, more historical mods are created. A pre-Columbian mod would surely be a massive undertaking, and I'm not sure how much I would be able to contribute to it myself, but it would certainly be an awesome achievement by whomever makes it, as it has never been done before to my knowledge. Not as a mod, or even in another game series, if I'm not mistaken. A lot of research would be required, and a lot of imagination too, to fill-in the many gaps in history.

Such a game would not have vanilla-style shields, too.

Yes, I too found it absurd that they named them the Tarascans when I found out it is a derogative! It took me 10 minutes of reading about the "Tarascans" to learn that wasn't even their name! Whoever the historical researcher for the Americas campaign was ought to be fired.

I understand what you're getting at with the city-state concept, and it is a good idea. I still intend to include the "Chichimeca", or more likely, the Zacatecos, in-game. The fact that we don't know what they called themselves is unfortunate, but if worse-comes-to-worse the Nahuatl name will suffice. It won't be so easier for them to dominate their neighbouring tribes. I do lack some information as to place names and locations to the east of Zacatlan and north of the Valley of Mexico. If you have any information on that I would greatly appreciate it!

I like the ancillary idea for city emblems as well. When the time comes I'll speak with you further on them.
    Haha, looks like you were able to read my username! I must confess that the only reason I have this as my username is because I decided to finally make a twcenter account (after ~9 years of lurking) and Google translate had recently added a few more languages to their translate options. I have absolutely no Welsh blood in me at all.
    Anyway, looks like you really know your stuff. I like the thought of making an even more historically accurate sub-mod after this one, although your base mod already is far more accurate than any other official attempt out there. I'm hoping to see some more pleasant surprises in thee future!

UchihaMadara21's Avatar Tiro

I was going to keep these under wraps for a while, but tell me what you honestly think of these - my very first attempts at Inca and Muisca shields.

Yes, I too found it absurd that they named them the Tarascans when I found out it is a derogative! It took me 10 minutes of reading about the "Tarascans" to learn that wasn't even their name! Whoever the historical researcher for the Americas campaign was ought to be fired.

I understand what you're getting at with the city-state concept, and it is a good idea. I still intend to include the "Chichimeca", or more likely, the Zacatecos, in-game. The fact that we don't know what they called themselves is unfortunate, but if worse-comes-to-worse the Nahuatl name will suffice. It won't be so easier for them to dominate their neighbouring tribes. I do lack some information as to place names and locations to the east of Zacatlan and north of the Valley of Mexico. If you have any information on that I would greatly appreciate it!

I like the ancillary idea for city emblems as well. When the time comes I'll speak with you further on them.

The shields look amazing. I really like how you placed the supposed flag of the Inca Emperor (the Emperor was the Inca, thus, he embodied the Empire) behind the emblem of the two snakes. Although there is no photographic evidence of the usage of this "rainbow" flag at the time of the Incas, it's considered the symbol of Andean tradition and cultural heritage, so i don't see any problem there. The Muisca shield also looks neat with the face of the Zipa, Supreme Ruler of the Zipazgo, the most important section of the Muisca Confederation, in it (like Tlaxcala in Mexico, they were a Lordship/Confederation, so it would be better if they were named that way in-game).

Maybe my post was a little confuse, i'm sorry. What i meant is that the ethnic groups known as Chichimeca (Zacatecos, Otomi, Tecuexes, Pames and others) were nomadic people, and never formed an actual civilization. They used to live in small towns or villages periferic to the territories of the Triple Alliance and Tlaxcala, which were very inferior to the huge and fancy citys built by their neighbours. They never past this level of social development, and mostly served as mercenaries, as their armies were found throughout the entire region. Much of Cortés' army was composed of these guys.

The Zacatecos could possibly have their own faction since they were the strongest tribe, but the other groups could be represented as town-level rebel settlements filled with elite archers who were also formidable hand-to-hand combatants. You could recruit variants of these units in your territories (AoR), and after losing many men to conquer these rebel settlements, you could expand them as they were now part of your empire.

Soon i'll be presenting a map indicating the most important cities of that region, and how they should be portrayed in the camapaign mode.

@Dydw i ddim yn Gymraeg - i'm from indigenous descendance.
    Last edited by UchihaMadara21; March 02, 2016 at 03:28 PM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Dydw i ddim yn Gymraeg View Post
    The more detail that you put into the factions (accurate unit descriptions, settlement names, longer building histories), the better. It seems you have so much knowledge here as a team on a historical subject that is rarely talked about (as we can all see from the vanilla game), and it would be so refreshing if this mod were able to add all of these details in.

I like the thought of making an even more historically accurate sub-mod after this one, although your base mod already is far more accurate than any other official attempt out there.
    I plan to release a Beta version once a functional game is created, and it will purposely be bare-bones. Detail is not a priority at this early stage, and I believe for a good reason - with a Beta release, I can generate hype, assemble a fearsome team, and gain access to more resources and information. By leaving detail until later on, I believe it can be better decided upon and implemented.

The shields look amazing. I really like how you placed the supposed flag of the Inca Emperor (the Emperor was the Inca, thus, he embodied the Empire) behind the emblem of the two snakes. Although there is no photographic evidence of the usage of this "rainbow" flag at the time of the Incas, it's considered the symbol of Andean tradition and cultural heritage, so i don't see any problem there. The Muisca shield also looks neat with the face of the Zipa, Supreme Ruler of the Zipazgo, the most important section of the Muisca Confederation, in it (like Tlaxcala in Mexico, they were a Lordship/Confederation, so it would be better if they were named that way in-game).

Maybe my post was a little confuse, i'm sorry. What i meant is that the ethnic groups known as Chichimeca (Zacatecos, Otomi, Tecuexes, Pames and others) were nomadic people, and never formed an actual civilization. They used to live in small towns or villages periferic to the territories of the Triple Alliance and Tlaxcala, which were very inferior to the huge and fancy citys built by their neighbours. They never past this level of social development, and mostly served as mercenaries, as their armies were found throughout the entire region. Much of Cortés' army was composed of these guys.

The Zacatecos could possibly have their own faction since they were the strongest tribe, but the other groups could be represented as town-level rebel settlements filled with elite archers who were also formidable hand-to-hand combatants. You could recruit variants of these units in your territories (AoR), and after losing many men to conquer these rebel settlements, you could expand them as they were now part of your empire.

Soon i'll be presenting a map indicating the most important cities of that region, and how they should be portrayed in the camapaign mode.
    Thanks as always Uchicha. I'm glad you like the shields. Gold is obviously a huge part of the history and the folklore of the Muisca, so I could think of nothing more appropriate than a golden shield. As for the Inca, I started with a plain white background, but I also always had the plan of including a rainbow wiphala behind it. The main reason for choosing the wiphala of Chinchay Suyu was purely aesthetic. It looked better than the other patterns, because the other patterns feature white squares closer to the centre of the wiphala, and it just didn't look as good visually.

We're on the same page about the Zacatecatl (or whatever I end up calling them ). I've not been able to find contemporary place names for villages or even just region names in the modern states of Zacatecas, San Luis Potosi and so forth. Perhaps that is simply because they are indeed nomads. Your map may very well help with that.

I face the same problem further north as well, where Apache, Cherokee and Sioux nomads are all that exist, and I don't want to keep names like "Apache Camp" in-game, if I can avoid it.

It's also funny that in the Americas campaign Zacatecas, now Zacatlan, is depicted as a walled city with a great pyramid (the generic strat model for "Mesoamerican culture" factions). It may not be done in the first release, but I would like to replace the vanilla strat models with custom ones (especially as the Inca and Muisca are also under the Mesoamerican culture, for the time being at least).

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Default Re: [WIP] Colonies & Empires: an Americas mod for M2TW

Nice clean work with the COAs Frunk. Ive no idea if the symbols are correct or not but they look legit to me.

They're as correct as I think they can be, since "correct" probably doesn't exist. Thanks Vlad!

More shields, this time for the German faction. It was the Welser family of Augsburg who obtained the rights to settle the New World, hence the concept for the shield comes from a combination of the Welser family crest and the flag and colours of Augsburg.

Which one do you prefer? I'm leaning towards 2 or 4.

Hi Frunk,

Beautiful artwork. I am for 4. I hope you have a lot of free time to finish this mod. Good luck

Hello Frunk. I like more the number 2. You're doing a spectacular coats of arms, Great work!

The colonial endeavour of the Wesler family was very short lived and I think its very questionable to regard them as a faction based on that one episode.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    The colonial endeavour of the Wesler family was very short lived and I think its very questionable to regard them as a faction based on that one episode.
    I understand what you mean, but this mod is full of factions who historically did not have much impact. I've gone against history in order to have all these factions square up against each other at the same time.

While this German faction is inspired by the Welsers, it will retain a more broad German flavour, if you will. I haven't determined exactly what I mean by that, but the same goes for other factions like Courland, Scotland and the Hospitallers.

I think they're also a good way to counter the power of New Spain, who otherwise would control almost everything from Panama to the Guyanas. They will hopefully add some spice to the South American theatre of war.

UchihaMadara21's Avatar Tiro

Thanks as always Uchicha. I'm glad you like the shields. Gold is obviously a huge part of the history and the folklore of the Muisca, so I could think of nothing more appropriate than a golden shield. As for the Inca, I started with a plain white background, but I also always had the plan of including a rainbow wiphala behind it. The main reason for choosing the wiphala of Chinchay Suyu was purely aesthetic. It looked better than the other patterns, because the other patterns feature white squares closer to the centre of the wiphala, and it just didn't look as good visually.

We're on the same page about the Zacatecatl (or whatever I end up calling them ). I've not been able to find contemporary place names for villages or even just region names in the modern states of Zacatecas, San Luis Potosi and so forth. Perhaps that is simply because they are indeed nomads. Your map may very well help with that.

I face the same problem further north as well, where Apache, Cherokee and Sioux nomads are all that exist, and I don't want to keep names like "Apache Camp" in-game, if I can avoid it.

It's also funny that in the Americas campaign Zacatecas, now Zacatlan, is depicted as a walled city with a great pyramid (the generic strat model for "Mesoamerican culture" factions). It may not be done in the first release, but I would like to replace the vanilla strat models with custom ones (especially as the Inca and Muisca are also under the Mesoamerican culture, for the time being at least).
    Yeah, the Inca flag looks really better and more authentic that way.

Most of the ideas i presented here are actually old ideas that i'm trying to ressurect now, inspired by this project. My concept of giving the title of Altepetl to Chichimeca settlements is based on a naming system used by the Mexica to describe foreign people. The word Otomitl, for example, is the Nahuatl for "Man With a Bow", or "Archer", in simple terms. A certain Chichimeca tribe was known for their ability with the bow, thus, were called Otomi by the Mexica to affirm this characteristic.

Most Chichimeca villages/towns were named Altepetl, followed by the identity of the people living in them, so, a Zacateco village/town, as i said in my first post, would be called Altepetl Zacatlan ("City-State of the People of Zacatlan", or even "City-State of the Zacatecos") by the Mexica.

We may never know what words they used to describe themselves and how they called their tribes/communities, so, the best solution i've found was give them the titles artificially created by the Mexica. It would be this or Spanish...

Soon i'll be posting the map here. It's entirely hand-drawn, since most maps that can be found aroud the internet are either wrong (terribly wrong. One map formerly used in Wikipedia represented the cities of Cholula/Cholollan and Huexotzingo as a part of Tlaxcala, which is an absurd, since they were rivals) or unpractical for the game.

I'm not even the slightest bit embarrassed to say I'm genuinely excited to see the map, Uchicha!

I plan to release a Beta version once a functional game is created, and it will purposely be bare-bones. Detail is not a priority at this early stage, and I believe for a good reason - with a Beta release, I can generate hype, assemble a fearsome team, and gain access to more resources and information. By leaving detail until later on, I believe it can be better decided upon and implemented.
    Sounds great, like I said, it seems your mod is already far better than the vanilla expansion.

@Dydw i ddim yn Gymraeg - i'm from indigenous descendance.
    Cool, and it seems that you know quite a bit about your family's shared cultural history. I find it strange that the prevailing opinion in the "Western World" (or at least where I live) tends to dismiss people who have a legitimate connection with their family's culture (and then, of course, the same people claim to "honor" their family's heritage by completely buying into National Holidays). Anyway, I digress. Keep up the good work!

"I want you to use all your powers, and all your skills..."

That scene and quote popped into my mind when I first started grappling with central Mexico, and in particular the Valley of Mexico, which is very much the heart of the map and the mod as a whole, so I really wanted to do it justice and that's why I've tackled most of the other parts of the map before starting work here.

Vanilla's take on this area (below) was rather uninspired. They used a heap of low mountains, and beyond that it was just pretty dull if you ask me.

In my version, I haven't taken a completely different approach. I wanted to actually have Lake Texcoco present, which meant reducing heights so it didn't look awful, and that created a valley which obviously isn't completely accurate, but I really like the result as it puts a real emphasis on the three Triple Alliance cities. My lake is also pretty much to-scale, compared to what the historical one would have been. A few healthy blobs of mountains have been kept. I initially had high mountains surrounded by low mountains, but I didn't like how it looked, so I've just gone with low mountains. I know people have different opinions on volcanoes, but the fact that I can script eruptions makes me fine with the fact that they aren't the prettiest things. Meanwhile, I've added a lot of farmland, because this was a very heavily populated area, and I've also put in some trees for a bit of eye candy, though again I'm not sure how accurate either are - not that it really matters. I've still got some touching up to do, and resources will contribute a bit visually once I get to adding them too, but so far I think I'd rather play on the map below, than the one above. How about you?

Very well done the Tenochtitlan Lake, considering allowing the map. Good job!

You might want to play around with heights because apart from the volacous sticking out from the ground, the map here looks maybe even more flat than in the vanilla pic you posted. Im confused.

I wouldn't say I was aiming for flat, but I have never liked bumpy-looking maps, and the vanilla map certainly looks bumpy to me. Here's a lower angle. The heights can't vary wildly here because in this particular part of the map they are "maxxed out". I'm pretty sure most of the high points here are 90-110, but since it's such a large plateau you can't really tell. This was just how it worked out when I first started putting the map together (using Gig's Demis Online Mapper tutorial). The depressed Valley of Mexico I added in later to break it up a bit and also create that emphasis on the three cities. This doesn't show the coast to the immediate south of here where the heights fall away quite a bit. I could possibly make those volcanoes (and the area immediately surrounding them) a bit higher as no battle will be fought there anyway.

The lands of the Purepecha (Tarascans) display what I'm talking about a bit better. I haven't completed this section of the map as much as the part to the east, and I've got a bit of work to do on the heights in the very north of this image on the other side of the river, which looks a bit tacky at the moment, but just so you get the idea.

Your mod, your decisions, I was just speaking my mind. BTW all those temples or towns without name labels are permanent forts right?

It's okay, I greatly value all feedback, as it helps me develop my ideas.

Those are cities, I've just toggled off character and settlement names.

Fair enough. You planning on having permanenent forts though?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast