Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Folk/bluegrass songs that get you so chill you could nap on a hammock in a hurricane!

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: Folk/bluegrass songs that get you so chill you could nap on a hammock in a hurricane!

I was certainly aware of the influence African music had, especially considering the Banjo is an instrument created by Africans, but I didn't know about the role of minstrals.

However this doesn't account as much for the influence of the traditional Irish and Scottish folk music that also influenced Bluegrass. Also generally speaking in many areas Bluegrass originated (Appalachian mountains) there weren't that many slaves or black people. It was too poor and the soil wasn't suitable for plantation farming.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: Folk/bluegrass songs that get you so chill you could nap on a hammock in a hurricane!

This is one of the most underrated songs in the world, in my opinion. "Diadem" by Sam Bush & Co.

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Introducing Road Earth

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    I was certainly aware of the influence African music had, especially considering the Banjo is an instrument created by Africans, but I didn't know about the role of minstrals.

However this doesn't account as much for the influence of the traditional Irish and Scottish folk music that also influenced Bluegrass. Also generally speaking in many areas Bluegrass originated (Appalachian mountains) there weren't that many slaves or black people. It was too poor and the soil wasn't suitable for plantation farming.
    Responding to this a year later...

As I said, a lot of the minstrel musicians were Irish. Dan Emmett of the the Virginia Minstrels and the O'Neill brothers of Bryant's Minstrels being some of the most famous. Their emulation of the slave music was influenced by their own musical backgrounds, sort of like how no matter how hard the Beatles tried to emulate American R&B in the early days, they still sounded English, but it was that blending that was actually part of the appeal. It's probably safe to say nearly every American was familiar with minstrel music regardless of whether they lived near black people. These were touring groups, and minstrel music was the pop music of the day. I'm sure you know all the most popular songs - "Old Dan Tucker", "Jimmy Crack Corn", "Wish I Was in Dixie", "Oh! Susanna", "Camptown Races", "Suwannee River", etc.

That said, Appalachia had a folk music that predated minstrelsy which also contributed to the bluegrass sound.

Oh! Susana as sung by The Ethiopian Serenaders:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You can see the typical instrumentation here:

According to an Ethnomusicology prof I had, there were northern white people who were unaware that they weren't watching real black musicians on stage, which seems to me could have only been true if they'd never seen actual black people before.

Dan Emmett in blackface for example:

Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Not sure if it fits, but here its some of Portuguese folk or folkish , rather traditional influenced music sometimes with a more modern or classic outlook or arrangements but still.
    Teresa Salgueiro from Madredeus... And Dulce Pontes among my favorites.

This one is sung in Mirandese, second official language in Portugal, spoken in a Northeastern Region of the country.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Springsteen (with band, ofc) - Old Dan Tucker (live)

The song's original source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Dan_Tucker

Title is on Springsteen's awesome 'We Shall Overcome / The Seeger Sessions' album, 2006
    or also on
    Bruce Springsteen with the Sessions Band 'Live In Dublin', 2007

Just my little contribution to this thread in regard of Bluegrass'ish songs.

But indeed the question is open, as Halie pointed to already on page 1, is it about Bluegrass alone or Folk music in whole? I guess, Mango's OP intended to make it about Bluegrass.

And yes, if the Banjo is the archetypic bluegrass instrument, then bluegrass is at least developed on the basis of what enslaved black africans created, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo

Just like that black music basement in form of early blues and gospel was the root of what came after in the 20th century: Blues and Jazz (roughly from on 20s/30s), Soul (roughly from on 50s/60s), Soul-Funk and RnB (roughly from on 60s/70s), whereas RocknRoll was the first thing where country and folk went into the mix from on the 50s. Hard Rock and then Heavy Metal/Metal is a subcategory of RocknRoll or as we could also say then, Rock, with its multiple styles.
    And needless to say, folk and country music is derived from european traditional music of various styles, whereby american country music is there a developed subform of original folk music which came with european settlers.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 05, 2018 at 03:54 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    My favorite by far is the Sandy Denny era 'Fairport Convention.' I just love folk song that tells a tale, especially a tragic one...

She moved through the fair a 'traditional' (Irish/Scots) melody, which generally means it's so old no one knows who wrote it (Hendrix 'Hey Joe' being another example)..
    Likewise "My Lagan Love" and the Londonderry Air (the tune of "Danny Boy"), both ancient tunes colected in the 19th century.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post

As I said, a lot of the minstrel musicians were Irish.
    My impression is music is a very liquid medium, and marginal groups (especially itinerant ones or ones well connected to distant communities) serve very well to transmit music. Examples include the possible role of Breton and Provencal singers in transmitting Arthurian tales from Wales to Italy (there's a carving or King Arthur and other Arthurian heroes on an Italian cathedral from the 10th century, predating any of the continental prose cycles, Geoffrey of Monmouth and even the Norman Conquest).

Music does not seem to have an actual ethnic identity, although people often try to harness music to a specific nationalist cultural complex. There's the example of Rom and Jewish musicians in Spain (and indeed across the Mediterranean), not to mention the excessively Jewish song Hava Nagila (a shower favourite of mine, complete with atrocious mispronunciation), which IIRC uses a Romanian folk tune.

Another example is Misrlou, which is a tune based on a simple Byzantine/Arab scale, with a Turkish title, sung by Greeks from Ottoman/Kemalist Constantinople, about abducting an Egyptian girl, popularised in the US by an Armenian.

Maybe because musicians are generally lazy shiftless drug-addled sex fiends that music is so miscegenated? <ick Jagger, private schoolboy and university student in London paraded himself as the "White ", Freddie Mercury was a Parsi (from Zanzibar!) with the accent (and profanity) of an English aristocrat, most of the Beach Boys couldn't surf, and most of Creedance Clearwater Revival were from California: so many musicians occupy shifting identities.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post

Even listening to some of the minstrel songs such as Swanee River, I could almost believe they were Scottish or Irish.

On the subject of Scottish and Irish music, here are my favourites, in the form of a brief guide of the different types of folk music (we have quite a lot of diversity for such a small country!).

Bagpipes - Rarely has words, often with strong military associations. Obviously the bagpipes tend to be an outdoor instrument in the main, so you don't really hear them much except at formal occasions, and the ubiquitous buskers in tourist areas. Most famous bands are the Red Hot Chili Pipers and Clanadonia. I saw Clanadonia live a few weeks ago (in fact I've seen them tons of times as they started out as buskers).

Ceilidh music - Everyone associates this type of music with Ceilidhs, but you can also hear it in traditional pubs, or concerts, or anywhere where people are consuming alcohol. It's really first and foremost dance music and doesn't usually have words. Very similar to Irish folk music.

Burns Songs - Songs by Robert Burns, Scotland's national poet. Favourite for choirs. People also sing them competitively at Scottish music festivals. The most famous is obviously Auld Lang Syne, the New Year song, but there are many of them. This one is my favourite:

Gaelic Songs - Used to be mostly restricted to the Western Isles where Gaelic is spoken, but have undergone an explosion in popularity recently due to the Outlander Effect. You can also hear them on the Celtic music circuit in various British and US cities. Julie Fowlis is probably the most famous singer these days (she recently featured on the soundtrack for the Disney film Brave), previously the band Runrig were well-known. But my favourite is this one:

Scots Songs - Probably the least popular genre of Scottish music unfortunately. Very few Scottish singers actually sing them, nearly all the versions you'll find online are by Irish groups. And in fact even moreso than other genres, there's a huge amount of crossover with Irish music, to the point that some Scottish songs are thought of as Irish and vice versa - Wild Mountain Thyme being the most famous example. The main groups are the Tannahill Weavers and the Corries:

Folk Pop/Neofolk - Not hugely popular but there are a few semi-well-known bands, such as Skippinish.

Overseas Scottish Folk - A lot of Canadian and Australian songs have a strong Scottish influence. Some of them were written by first or second generation Scots, such as this one:

EDIT: wow. There's probably a couple more subgenres I could mention as well but that's enough for now. Irish folk music largely falls under the same subgenres, the main additions being Sean Nós (a centuries-old vocal form that is now virtually extinct - some people confuse it as being Middle Eastern if they don't speak Irish) and rebel songs.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; September 09, 2018 at 04:33 PM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

As for best quality american folk, i still recommend to hear into (or better just get it right away, although probably a rare piece, of which i'm proud owner) the following album: Natalie Merchant, The House Carpenters Daughter (2003, Myth America Records)

It consists of 11 coverversions of traditionals and contemporaries, played by an excellent band of musicians, and yes, banjo is on bord played by Richi Stearns, and the fiddle by Judy Hyman ... guys, wow.

Tracks:
    "Sally Ann" (Jeff Claus/Judy Hyman/Dirk Powell) – 5:47
    "Which Side Are You On?" (Florence Reece) – 5:02
    "Crazy Man Michael" (Richard Thompson/Dave Swarbrick) – 5:12
    "Diver Boy" (traditional, arranged by Natalie Merchant) – 4:45
    "Weeping Pilgrim" (traditional, arranged by Natalie Merchant) – 4:11
    "Soldier, Soldier" (traditional, arranged by Natalie Merchant) – 3:43
    "Bury Me under the Weeping Willow" (A. P. Carter) – 3:20
    "House Carpenter" (traditional, arranged by Natalie Merchant) – 6:00
    "Owensboro" (traditional, arranged by Natalie Merchant) – 4:21
    "Down on Penny's Farm" (traditional, arranged by Natalie Merchant) – 3:41
    "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" (traditional, arranged by Natalie Merchant) – 4:17
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1x1...LznT20&index=2

Into this kinda bluegrass thread fits probably at most "Down on Penny's Farm"
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 09, 2018 at 11:05 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

This may be off-base, but I recently read the New Yorker piece on Burkina Faso's 1960-70's Jazz culture, and was quite mesmerized by it. The piece is 3+, but has some great song recommendations in it.

My favorite is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdBU-lpsqJ4

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpBiw-5c0c

Also, this entire post may be struggling with the definition of "folk" as I feel like it is often associated exclusively with white Midwestern United States, but I think the aforementioned videos speak to similar sensibilities as a lot of the stuff mentioned here.

Oh, and also! Honorable mention to Jose Felicano 1968's national anthem version!
    Last edited by Mr Longbowman; October 20, 2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Embed Video won't work. Just going with links for now.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I love seeing the origins of extremely talented and successful people. There are videos of this guy performing this song with a quartet in huge venues in NY and at the Grand Ole Opry, but none of them are as powerful as this video of him at a college party performing it right after it is written solo at some random college party for a few people.

ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Last edited by Wulfburk; February 27, 2020 at 06:32 PM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12