Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Attila Computer & Hardware Recommendations

Default Re: Build a PC for Attila TW / Hardware Recommendations (Currently Updating)

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    to all readers of this thread, if you must get a maxwell, wait a few months and get the 980 in june for 300$. never upgrade at the end of a cycle, especially when the next cycle offers like 50%(380x, 390x) increase in performance. you are gonna kick yourself for listening to super bad advice coming from the likes of post #118.
    sorry super bad advice? and you know diddly squat re 380x/390x...unless ofc you like to swallow amd hype...

I "recommend" a 970 based on my own personal experience. How is that bad advice? Of course if you can wait for new cards....wait and then make an informed decision. I have never said otherwise. But if you are in the market now as we speak i'd recommend a 970 over it's amd counterparts anyday of the week...

Default Re: Build a PC for Attila TW / Hardware Recommendations (Currently Updating)

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    sorry super bad advice? and you know diddly squat re 380x/390x...unless ofc you like to swallow amd hype...

I "recommend" a 970 based on my own personal experience. How is that bad advice? Of course if you can wait for new cards....wait and then make an informed decision. I have never said otherwise. But if you are in the market now as we speak i'd recommend a 970 over it's amd counterparts anyday of the week...
    Im looking to upgrade my HD7870 and have been looking at the 970,s as well as the R290 series. Why would you recommend a 970 over the AMD? More powerful card? Less power consumption?

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

So my spec

I5 3570 intel core
    GTX 760
    RAM: 15.95 GB.

This enough to run ATW?

WARNING to everyone thinking of upgrading to a mid/high card such as the 680, 760, 770, 960, r9 280, r9 280x.

CA has made a troublesome statement in this forum (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...mp-Performance) concerning performance for TW: Attila.
    It seems that the current abysmal performance observed in preview benchmarks are representative of the release build and that this is intended by CA.

It is very puzzling why Attila would perform significantly worse than Rome 2 as it doesn't look noticeably better, the world map does indeed look nicer but that has to do with artstyle and not new technology.

CA needs to retract their statement and start optimising the game, it needs to be done THIS month and not in a year.

The recommendations in this thread are outdated because of this and need to be edited in the first post as fast as possible for TW players looking to upgrade their system.

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Seifen View Post
    WARNING to everyone thinking of upgrading to a mid/high card such as the 680, 760, 770, 960, r9 280, r9 280x.

CA has made a troublesome statement in this forum (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...mp-Performance) concerning performance for TW: Attila.
    It seems that the current abysmal performance observed in preview benchmarks are representative of the release build and that this is intended by CA.

It is very puzzling why Attila would perform significantly worse than Rome 2 as it doesn't look noticeably better, the world map does indeed look nicer but that has to do with artstyle and not new technology.

CA needs to retract their statement and start optimising the game, it needs to be done THIS month and not in a year.

The recommendations in this thread are outdated because of this and need to be edited in the first post as fast as possible for TW players looking to upgrade their system.

Your'e right !

Quote Originally Posted by Nico CA View Post
    Hi guys!

There’s a few threads popping up with people worried about their kit running the game, we just wanted to clear up a couple of misconceptions that might help you out.

1) The “Recommended Spec” is not the spec that is required to run the game on full max quality settings at 1440p. It is a spec which we believe gives you a good experience of the game as we’d recommend it is played. If you have better hardware you will get better results.

There are 5 quality presents you can select in Total War: ATTILA (you can always go into ‘Advanced’ and tweak yourself of course).

• ‘Max Performance’ – integrated chipsets and older cards
    • ‘Performance’ – low end cards
    • ‘Quality’– mid range cards
    • ‘Max Quality’ – high end cards
    • ‘Extreme Quality’ – future cards – no card is set to this out of the box

The official “Recommended Spec” is pegged to the ‘Quality’ setting at 1080p ‘out of the box’.

‘Extreme Quality’ also activates 4XMSAA, which will have a particularly big performance impact.
    Please note, that the ‘Extreme Quality’ setting is meant for future graphics cards, not for current gen. This is why it's above Maximum Quality.
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

Sorry, site went offline, double posted by mistake
    Last edited by kamikazee786; February 13, 2015 at 02:08 PM.
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Ditto, the R9 290x and GTX 970 trade blows from game to game, but from a pure numbers perspective, and the fact that we're discussing Total War after all, I'd have to give it to the GTX 970 for the slightly superior Warscape engine performance. In reality, given the margin, you'd have to ask yourself if the price difference (if any) is worth the 30% performance difference (which will hopefully trim with new AMD drivers).
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; February 13, 2015 at 04:24 PM.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Im looking to upgrade my HD7870 and have been looking at the 970,s as well as the R290 series. Why would you recommend a 970 over the AMD? More powerful card? Less power consumption?
    Well I have always been with nvidia pretty much. Less headaches

(i have tried amd over the yrs).

I just think they shade it in the driver/support area. Plus tend to run quieter and cooler. I have an msi 970 and previously had a 580 with a waterblock and due to how good the cooler is I dont need to install a waterblock on the 970!

(which i suppose my cpu loves as its on water all by itself...overkill I know).

I know the "in" thing to do is to hate on anything coming out of CA right now, and most of those sentiments echo my own. I will not be purchasing Attila until I see community feedback. What I can't do is let FUD like this go by unchecked:

I don't see a problem with CA's announcement. They included a setting that current hardware isnt fully capable of running smoothly. So we want to criticize them for forward-thinking? Crytek did this with Crysis 1 a while back, and got lambasted for "poor optimisation" too. That game was beautiful, and I suspect this one will be too.

This is a bold claim without any supporting evidence or credentials. What makes you think the game is more hardware intensive purely because of the art style and not technology? Did you have access to assets that the rest of us do not? From the footage I saw, I noticed a considerable increase in particle effects (e.g. fire, smoke, etc.), which aint free or cheap to render. How about the details in the cities? I noticed civilians walking about and all sorts of doodads to make the environment look and feel like a warzone; that isn't free either.

I have many complaints about the state of Total War and how these past couple of installments have tarnished its legacy, but its visuals are certainly not among them.

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    I know the "in" thing to do is to hate on anything coming out of CA right now, and most of those sentiments echo my own. I will not be purchasing Attila until I see community feedback. What I can't do is let FUD like this go by unchecked:

I don't see a problem with CA's announcement. They included a setting that current hardware isnt fully capable of running smoothly. So we want to criticize them for forward-thinking? Crytek did this with Crysis 1 a while back, and got lambasted for "poor optimisation" too. That game was beautiful, and I suspect this one will be too.

This is a bold claim without any supporting evidence or credentials. What makes you think the game is more hardware intensive purely because of the art style and not technology? Did you have access to assets that the rest of us do not? From the footage I saw, I noticed a considerable increase in particle effects (e.g. fire, smoke, etc.), which aint free or cheap to render. How about the details in the cities? I noticed civilians walking about and all sorts of doodads to make the environment look and feel like a warzone; that isn't free either.

I have many complaints about the state of Total War and how these past couple of installments have tarnished its legacy, but its visuals are certainly not among them.
    Quite a few people werent sucked in by the "Crisis" arguement.

Oh wait it's so beautifull what we are trying to do..it neeed time etc etc.

I tell you what. Baloney. How about here and now? That's all I care about.

I dont mind about future products/plans etc but the base/platform has to be there otherwise I could say its all hot guff. Pure and simple.

You can fool some people sometime but you cant fool all the people all the time.

I spotted this yrs ago with total wars and perf...yrs....

I pay good money for my hardware and if game devs cant meet a certain standard well it's adios. Such is life no?
    Last edited by Totalheadache; February 13, 2015 at 05:08 PM.

Okay guys REALLY need your help here! I got 400-450 euros (450-510$) to spend and improve this PC for Attila. (My friend has a windows 64 bit install so that wont cost anything if thats an issue)

Intel core 2 QUAD CPU Q6700 2.66 Ghz

3 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

I would be soooo happy if someone could help me with this, as I want to enjoy Attila at the speed Rome 1 had.. Or am i just better off selling this PC and buying a new one with the extra money?

Quote Originally Posted by Davincee View Post
    Okay guys REALLY need your help here! I got 400-450 euros (450-510$) to spend and improve this PC for Attila. (My friend has a windows 64 bit install so that wont cost anything if thats an issue)

Intel core 2 QUAD CPU Q6700 2.66 Ghz

3 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

I would be soooo happy if someone could help me with this, as I want to enjoy Attila at the speed Rome 1 had.. Or am i just better off selling this PC and buying a new one with the extra money?
    Sell it and build a new one.

Sell it and build a new one.
    How much money would my current PC fetch generally and how much do you estimate would a good gaming PC cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Davincee View Post
    How much money would my current PC fetch generally and how much do you estimate would a good gaming PC cost?
    Sorry to say not much...try on sites like guru3d/tomshardware/anandtech you can sell stuff..but you do need a certain amount of posts.

Look on ebay to see how much your parts sell for?

And a decent enough gaming pc including a monitor is doable for around £500 but i'd say £750 much better (i mean you should get a decentish screen and the pc should be sound). I mean if you think a decent 1080p or 24inch is around the £200 mark....

It does depend on what levels of AA you want to run. x2 aa with med/high settings on 1080p is about what i'd reckon for a very good experience...(well the difference going up to say 1920x1200 means a step up in the gpu..so you are looking at another £150 min).

1) TW: Attila's benchmark is the Battle of Londinium (battle map). I mentioned the campaign map because it is the only obvious graphical improvement* compared to Rome 2, one will have a hard time finding a person that thinks the battle map is a noticeable improvement over Rome 2's.

*Shogun 2's campaign map was improved with Rise of the Samurai (an expansion akin to Attila), in that case however there was no noticeable hit on performance. These games run on the same engine.

2) The point of this thread is hardware recommendation. Currently a 760 is recommended for Ultra settings (bar AA and filters (?)) which is not the case if the benchmarks hold true.

There seem to be some harsh responses to what I said. I don't know what FUD means but according to Urbandictionary it is enough for me to ignore this person.
    Please do not quote me ever again.

doube post
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; February 13, 2015 at 05:43 PM.

There seem to be some harsh responses to what I said. I don't know what FUD means but according to Urbandictionary it is enough for me to ignore this person.
    Please do not quote me ever again.
    FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. I say FUD because your claims are unsubstantiated.

And I'd argue one would not have a hard time finding an improvement on the battlemap. I just laid out a couple for you.

Quite a few people werent sucked in by the "Crisis" arguement.

Oh wait it's so beautifull what we are trying to do..it neeed time etc etc.

I tell you what. Baloney. How about here and now? That's all I care about.

I dont mind about future products/plans etc but the base/platform has to be there otherwise I could say its all hot guff. Pure and simple.

You can fool some people sometime but you cant fool all the people all the time.

I spotted this yrs ago with total wars and perf...yrs....

I pay good money for my hardware and if game devs cant meet a certain standard well it's adios. Such is life no?
    That's the thing, there are settings for "here and now," it's just not the max settings. Had CA simply rebranded "ultra" as "extreme" we'd have the illusion that you were maxing the game out and everyone's ego would be satisfied.

FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. I say FUD because your claims are unsubstantiated.

And I'd argue one would not have a hard time finding an improvement on the battlemap. I just laid out a couple for you.

That's the thing, there are settings for "here and now," it's just not the max settings. Had CA simply rebranded "ultra" as "extreme" we'd have the illusion that you were maxing the game out and everyone's ego would be satisfied.
    Yeah but even those settings arent good enough. Anyways this thread is about hardware recomendations for Atiila which probably should bite the dust as they arent reflective of what you need to enjoy a myriad of other titles.

I think maybe I said this thread should stay but if it gets clogged up by more petty discussions which I think yours is...it's basically your own view which are wrong and arent helping in any shape or form.

Maybe i'll ask splenyi to close it...

Yeah but even those settings arent good enough.
    We'll see. When I (eventually) pick up Attila, I plan to thoroughly test the variety of settings and their impact. IME, typically the differences between adjacent tiers aren't as drastic as we expect.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    to all readers of this thread, if you must get a maxwell, wait a few months and get the 980 in june for 300$. never upgrade at the end of a cycle, especially when the next cycle offers like 50%(380x, 390x) increase in performance. you are gonna kick yourself for listening to super bad advice coming from the likes of post #118.
    I said it already that this or next year will UNLEASH a lot of GPU power, like DirectX, 3D VRAM on GPU die, DDR4, next gen CPUs etc. so this is probably why CA bother to put the limits beyond anything buyable at the moment.

The combination of ALL these technologies I am currently aware and informed of, will certainly double or triple the performance of existing games! (marketing overhead already substracted )

We'll see. When I (eventually) pick up Attila, I plan to thoroughly test the variety of settings and their impact. IME, typically the differences between adjacent tiers aren't as drastic as we expect.

It would be please if we could work together here as I am setting up the next Benchmark thread as I did for Shogun 2 and Rome 2.
    Last edited by alQamar; February 13, 2015 at 06:30 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.