Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526

Thread: Attila Computer & Hardware Recommendations

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Build a PC for Attila TW / Hardware Recommendations (Currently Updating)

I can tell you, what my PC contains for the relevant hardware, and what works for a semi-fluent Attila game (battle mode no problem at all, strategy map mode sometimes a bit lag), at least with unit size Large, medium/high/max settings (different per case, just check-out the according threads/experiences about settings):

CPU i5@4.0 Ghz, GTX 1070 (MSI Gaming X), 16 GB RAM. While the VRAM usage of Attila is, as probably known, limited anyway.

Most relevant is a fast CPU (afaik, the case with all TW games). Means, better never use a piece below the official recommended ones.

A weaker video card will reduce the graphics quality and fluency, of course. I personally wouldn't recommend any card below a GTX 980 capability. Just also for other games (fe. RPG), where the video card is much more relevant.

Of course, a fitting cooling and PSU should belong to the concept.
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 14, 2017 at 10:29 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Default Re: Build a PC for Attila TW / Hardware Recommendations (Currently Updating)

Quote Originally Posted by jhammons10 View Post
    Could anyone chime in as to what realistically I could expect to achieve if upgrading to a gtx 1050ti with the above setup? Thinking of pulling the trigger soon next sale I see....
    Definitely a major graphics upgrade since the 1050ti has about 8xtimes the number of graphics compute units (CUDA cores) and about double the memory bandwidth.

Make sure your power supply can handle that new GPU. The 1050ti doesn't really require a lot of power but your GT230 was a really low end solution and it could be that your PSU is similarily minimalistic.

Thanks barbarian. I will look today, thanks for the input and suggestions. I've seen the 1050ti on sale around $120-$130 recently and planned on pulling the trigger soon but hadnt thought about that. What PSU would you recommend safely? At least 350W?

Quote Originally Posted by jhammons10 View Post
    What PSU would you recommend safely? At least 350W?
    Yes, 350W should be eough for your system. But only if it is from a well known brand like EVGA, Corsair, Seasonic, ... . Never, in any case buy a no-name PSU. Often they don't even provide the rated wattage.

Quote Originally Posted by Aenima View Post
    What are everyone's thoughts on this? I know nothing about computers but it seems pretty powerful and like it'd handle games in the future (ie BF1) without any real issues

https://gladiatorpc.co.uk/configure/config/66646

But at the same time a friend of mine who messes with cpmuters as a hobby says that I'd be better off just getting this and upgrading the GFX card

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freshtech-F...Bcomputer&th=1

Any input? Thank!

For processing you need - powerfull PC. Dozen of memory, powerfull video-card, modern processor. There are three things to highlight about this PC:

• No Graphics Card: This PC does not need a lot of graphical power. As a matter of fact, you could easily get by without a graphics card and simply choose a CPU with an integrated graphics processor. As long as you don’t plan to use this as a secondary gaming rig, you just need graphical power to output to a monitor.
    • Less Power: Compared to your gaming PC, your streaming PC does not need to be very powerful. You can get away with 4GB of RAM, a mechanical hard drive, and a low-end motherboard. There’s no need to go crazy with this PC. The rough requirement for streaming at 60fps 4500kbp/s (Twitch’s current maximum settings) will require an AMD FX-4300 or better.
    • Capture Card: You will need a way to record information from your gaming PC. For the most part, motherboards do not have video input devices on them. To solve this, you will need a capture card, preferably with HDMI and HD support. We have a few recommendations below.

You will also need a monitor for your streaming PC. Again you can compromise on quality here, as it doesn’t need to be an incredibly responsive monitor or one with superb contrast. There are some standards now that allow a more concrete resolution of what it means to have an "official" HD display monitor, even for your PC.

To find more information about PC https://www.bestadvisor.com/best-gaming-pcs
    To find more information about Monitor https://www.bestadvisor.com/best-gaming-monitors

What's the best cpu if I wanted to create huge battles (~20k soldiers) without encountering microstutter? money is not an issue and I intend to OC as high as possible.

I know it's possible, for instance:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5fTCWgUZnQ&t

He was using a i7 4790k @ 4.9 GHz. There are even better i7's now that can reach 5+ GHz, like the 7700k, for instance, or the 7740x. This is just the extent of my knowledge of CPU's. The finer details of intel chips AND how Attila utilizes the cpu are limited.

Default Re: Attila Computer & Hardware Recommendations

Is there any way I can shorten the length of the AI's turns? Recently bought the game and have been playing a campaign as the Sassanids, only to find the wait for the AI to finish its turn increasing as the campaign progresses. At this point it is taking around 1-1:30 minutes for the AI to finish its turn. I do not have this problem at all with Warhammer, despite its being a more recent game. I also don't have it with Rome 2 or Shogun 2. Here are my laptop's specs:

Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @2.60 GHz 2.59 GHz
    RAM 8.00 GB (7.78 usable)
    64-bit Operating system, x64 based processor
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M

Is there any fix?
    Last edited by Herakleios; July 26, 2017 at 02:57 PM.

“The principal office of history I take to be this: to prevent virtuous actions from being forgotten, and that evil words and deeds should fear an infamous reputation with posterity.” -Tacitus

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hello Herakleios, thanks for asking. The AI turn times are mainly based on CPU calculations and to some degree your storage subsystem, aka harddisk or SSD.
    Do you know how to provide a cpu-z.txt logfile? By investigating this logfile I would be able to help you more.
    Last edited by alQamar; July 26, 2017 at 03:28 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Hello Herakleios, thanks for asking. The AI turn times are mainly based on CPU calculations and to some degree your storage subsystem, aka harddisk or SSD.
    Do you know how to provide a cpu-z.txt logfile? By investigating this logfile I would be able to help you more.
    Thanks for the quick response. I did not know how to, but I just checked your thread to learn and will give it a try.

Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @2.60 GHz 2.59 GHz
    RAM 8.00 GB (7.78 usable)
    Windows 10 64-bit Operating system, x64 based processor
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
    Resolution 1920x1080p (both in-game and desktop)
    Windows version 1703 (OS Build 15063.483)

maxed out settings:
    min FPS: 14
    max FPS: 16
    avg FPS: 15

Ultra preset:
    min FPS: 19
    max FPS: 22
    avg FPS: 21

High preset:
    min FPS: 26
    max FPS: 39
    avg FPS: 31

Medium preset:
    min FPS: 35
    max FPS: 44
    avg FPS: 40

Low Preset:
    min FPS: 45
    max FPS: 67
    avg FPS: 52

DESKTOP-LB868GP.txt

Edit: Also, I am running the game from an SSD, should I provide extra info about it?
    Last edited by Herakleios; July 27, 2017 at 04:38 AM.

“The principal office of history I take to be this: to prevent virtuous actions from being forgotten, and that evil words and deeds should fear an infamous reputation with posterity.” -Tacitus

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Herakleios,

from what I see an uneeded bottleneck is your ram configuration because it is running in single channel mode as you only have one RAM moduile installed.
    If you can afford you should upgrade another 8 GB RAM module S0-DIMM DDR4 1066 MHz CL 15-15-15-36. The orginal partnumber is M471A1G43DB0-CPB. RAM has become quite expensive in the past 6 months but there is less chance that prices will drop by a half again where they started to explode.

Run a full disk cleanup with cleanmgr.exe incl. system files check and setup Windows key + I > System > Storage > Cleanup and do a manual cleanup. Win 10 will get better cleanup functions in upcoming 1809 release here.

Then using windows defrag for all you drives incl. the ssd would be good, Win 10 won't defrag the SSD but trim the drive. But the traditional hdd is very filled up and I suspect the fragmentation is higher than 5 % which is pretty noticeable.

Additionally consider to update both of your video drivers. The Nvidia driver is avaible at nvidia.com, you might try to use Intel Driver Updater utility 2.8.x.x and update your Intel HD card
    Also you might consider to upgrade the FW of your Sandisk SSD and your Asus laptop Firmware (UEFI)

You can also configure the Windows Swapfile off drive C and set it to your faster SSD. Do you know how to do this?

Memory Size 8 GBytes
    Channels Single
    Memory Frequency 1064.1 MHz (1:16)
    CAS# latency (CL) 15.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 15
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 15
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 36
    Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 278
    Command Rate (CR) 2T
    Last edited by alQamar; July 27, 2017 at 02:19 PM.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

You can also configure the Windows Swapfile off drive C and set it to your faster SSD. Do you know how to do this?

Memory Size 8 GBytes
    Channels Single
    Memory Frequency 1064.1 MHz (1:16)
    CAS# latency (CL) 15.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 15
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 15
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 36
    Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 278
    Command Rate (CR) 2T
    I do not. Would it be helpful in addition to what you advised before or as an alternative?

Edit: Other than that, thanks a lot for the thorough advice, will examine my options in terms of time and budget and see what I can try from what you advised. Will probably check back if I have any issues.
    Last edited by Herakleios; July 27, 2017 at 02:38 PM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

All measures should help in each way, before upgrading hardware try the cleanup and defrag stuff alongside with changing the swapfile
    Your Win 10 is running on the 1 TB Hitachi drive. Which is traditionally slower than an SSD.

How to change the swapfile from drive C (HDD) to your drive G (SSD). Warning you need about the same amount of Swapfile as your ram amount your drive G needs more space though. 9 GB is recommended

Windowskey + I > System > click Systeminfo (link on the right side) >
    this will open the old system overview screen

Click on advanced system settings > Advanced > Section Perfomance > Settings > Advanced Tab
    Deselect automatically manage page file
    for C set a size of 16 MB
    for G set a size of 4096 to 8192
    the maximum depends of your avail. free space on G and how much you can spare.

Running low on space C or G with this setting may result in a crash or unbootable system to you should try to have at least 5-10% free reserves on each drive.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

"Will probably check back if I have any issues." I wasn't active long time but since you triggered my subscribed thread, I am back. I would be happy if this would ease your issues with the turn times.
    Oh one more thing, but this is certainly for pros... laptop coolers should be cleaned every 2 years, but you would need to disassemble the case for that. I can tell horror stories, especially laptops owned by people smoking, having pets like dogs and cats.

So how can dust affect your turn times? Well overheating, modern CPUs won't simply break when overheating but first throttle their power and finally do a emergency shutdown. The idle temps of CPU-Z were already about 45-50°C that is quite high.
    Last edited by alQamar; July 27, 2017 at 02:47 PM.

"Will probably check back if I have any issues." I wasn't active long time but since you triggered my subscribed thread, I am back. I would be happy if this would ease your issues with the turn times.
    Oh one more thing, but this is certainly for pros... laptop coolers should be cleaned every 2 years, but you would need to disassemble the case for that. I can tell horror stories, especially laptops owned by people smoking, having pets like dogs and cats.

So how can dust affect your turn times? Well overheating, modern CPUs won't simply break when overheating but first throttle their power and finally do a emergency shutdown. The idle temps of CPU-Z were already about 45-50°C that is quite high.
    Yeah, actually disassembling the case is where I draw the line. Nevertheless, it would probably help to get a spray duster to at least clean up the outside openings. I used to be in the habit of doing that with my old laptop, but for some reason stopped doing it, perhaps because my old laptop wasn't that powerful and I needed to squeeze as much performance as possible out of it. Other than this Attila issue, the new one has performed satisfactorily as far as I am concerned (only NieR Automata runs a bit too low on the fps side for my taste, but oh well). In any case, this is probably a good opportunity to try to get as much out of my computer as possible, perhaps after I take the measures you suggested I will be able to have other games run better as well, so I do appreciate your breaking your hiatus to help.
    Last edited by Herakleios; July 27, 2017 at 03:03 PM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

you are very welcome Herakleios. Have you performed any of the suggestions yet. Anything improved?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk