Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Yemen Civil War

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Default Re: Yemen Civil War

Quote Originally Posted by Lucilla View Post
    What do you mean by sectarianism?
    Do i have to point out this another conflict that basically boils down to Sunnis vs shias

The Houthi's are ok to support, they don't want to impose a shia cleric goverment because they themselves said that they have no support for it. They also support women rights and want them in politics. http://www.yementimes.com/en/1826/in...n%E2%80%9D.htm
    And i guess the Houthis would never lie. Just like the Syrian Islamic groups who also proclaim to protect women's rights, not institute sharia law, ect.

The real question is can the Houthis bring stability to Yemen and its a no.
    Last edited by Vanoi; March 26, 2015 at 12:38 PM.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

A Saudi official declared that they will fight both Houthi and al-Qaeda rebels, it does make sense because al-Qaeda is even more a threat for the Saudi rule even if currently they control the less poulated areas in Yemen.

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    if Saudis fight Houthis, and then the Houthis are defeated, then the drone programs and counterterrorism operation will resume and Al-qaeda will resume getting hit.
    A walk in the park?

This is going to be one of the worst decissions in years.
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; March 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

But their acting like the Houthi's are allies with al-Qaeda.......they've been actively fighting each other for ages now.....

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    But their acting like the Houthi's are allies with al-Qaeda.......they've been actively fighting each other for ages now.....
    Houthis want territory more than they want to get rid of AQ, apparently this priority of theirs has led to the interruption of drone programs and counter-terrorism operations, and now they are going to be too busy with Saudis and Sunni tribesmen to really take on AQ in any decisive way. maybe they could have started their coup from the east if they were really adamant about fighting AQ?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    More likely Houthis and al-Qaeda had few occasions to fight each other since they operated in different regions while government troops were squeezed between both groups.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Do i have to point out this another conflation that basically boils down to Sunnis vs shias
    There are several sunni's that support the alliance between Saleh and the Houthi's. Many of the Yemeni Army support Saleh and thus their alliance with the Houthi's. But yes there's ofcourse sectarianism in this war, saying otherwise would be wrong!!

And i guess the Houthis would never lie. Just like the Syrian Islamic groups who also proclaim to protect women's rights, not institute sharia law, ect.

The real question is can the Houthis bring stability to Yemen and its a no.
    Unless terrorist groups in Syria, the Houthis have not massacred religious opponents, beheaded people and killed women for cheating etc (not that i know of) Don't compare the Houthi's to JAN or ISIS

A Saudi official declared that they will fight both Houthi and al-Qaeda rebels, it does make sense because al-Qaeda is even more a threat for the Saudi rule even if currently they control the less poulated areas in Yemen.
    Saudi targeting Al-Qaeda is as convincing as North Korea claiming they can crush the USA
    Veritas Temporis Filia

7 PUNKTE-PLAN FÜR DEN MITTLEREN OSTEN
    Liebe Freunde, der Mittlere Osten brennt. US-Jets bombardieren seit gestern Tikrit, Saudi-Arabien und die Golfstaaten greifen den Jemen an. Libyen zerbricht, Syrien ist längst zerbrochen, Tunesien wankt, in Gaza droht die nächste verzweifelte Explosion. Und der IS breitet sich wie eine Krake aus. So kann es nicht weitergehen. Mein 7 Punkte-Plan:
    1. Langzeit- Friedens- und Sicherheitskonferenz der muslimischen Staaten zur Beilegung ihrer zwischenstaatlichen Konflikte (Middle-East-KSZE). Auch zwischen sunnitischen und schiitischen Ländern. Einige Regierungen des Mittleren Ostens sind am Chaos der Region und ihrer Länder kräftig mitschuldig. Für viele ist soziale Gerechtigkeit ein Fremdwort.
    2. Abbau aller westlichen Militärstützpunkte in der muslimischen Welt. Sie sind demütigende Überbleibsel des Kolonialismus, die niemand braucht. Wir haben auch keine Militärstützpunkte in China. Ami go home!
    3. Verzicht auf Kriege des Westens gegen die muslimische Welt. Die westlichen Kriege haben die Zahl der internationalen Terroristen seit 9/11 von 1000 auf über 100.000 explodieren lassen. Der Mittlere Osten versinkt in Terrorismus. Wir haben ihn selbst gezüchtet.
    4. Strikte Nichteinmischung in die inneren Angelegenheiten anderer Länder (Kant). Das gilt auch für Saudi-Arabien und Iran. Die muslimischen Länder müssen ihre Konflikte selbst lösen. Selbst den IS-Konflikt.
    5. Der Westen sollte die muslimische Welt genauso großzügig und fair behandeln wie Israel.
    6. Beendigung der rassistischen und religiösen Diskriminierung der Muslime in den Ländern der westlichen Welt. Bestrafung der Beleidigung von Religionen und religiösen Gruppen (Volksverhetzung) - wie in den Paragraphen 166 und 130 des deutschen Strafgesetzbuchs ausdrücklich gefordert. Unsere Richter haben nicht das Recht, bestimmte Paragraphen einfach nicht anzuwenden. Das ist strafbare (!) Rechtsbeugung.
    7. Bekämpfung aller Arten des Terrorismus der Welt -- egal, ob linksextremistisch, rechtsextremistisch separatistisch, religiös oder sonstwie motiviert -- mit den klassischen polizeilichen (!) Mitteln des Antiterrorkampfes: Unterwanderung, Überwachung, Geld, Spezialkommandos etc. Aber nicht mit dem gescheiterten Terrorzuchtprogramm Krieg.
    Die westliche und die muslimische Welt brauchen ein neues Denken. In dem Gerechtigkeit und Bildung im Vordergrund stehen und nicht Panzerlieferungen und Ölverträge. Angriffs-Kriege und Terrorismus sind ein Verbrechen gegenüber der Menschlichkeit.
    Mein Rat an beide Seiten: Hört auf, mit eurer gottlosen Gewalt Gott zu beleidigen! Die Hölle platzt sonst bald aus allen Nähten. Gott ist weder Angriffs-Krieger, noch Terrorist.
    Euer JT

Jürgen Todenhöfer

I agree on some points. All in all the ME states should try to arange a peace conference before it gets even more out of hand. (it is already out of control!).
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Unless terrorist groups in Syria, the Houthis have not massacred religious opponents, beheaded people and killed women for cheating etc (not that i know of) Don't compare the Houthi's to JAN or ISIS
    JAN and the ISIS aren't the only Islamic groups around. Islamic Front, Levant Front, other Islamic-affiliated rebel groups. This doesn't mean the Houthis still aren't lying as they are Zadi Shia Islamists themselves.

Yemen needs stability so al-Qaeda can't use it as a base.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

the UN backs him, the Gulf states around Yemen back him, he won the votes of at least 60% of registered voters (granted the election was a farce but it carries more legality and proof of popular consent than the Houthi's coup)
    Right, but if you actually respect democracy, a ruler's legitimacy is defined by how he rose in power, not by how many of his despotic and theocratic neighbors support him.
    also the Saudis, even if they are not directly targeting AQ, are helping to fight AQ indirectly by bombing rebels that put a stop to the government and drone programs in Yemen which were taking out scores of Al-qaeda in the east. if Saudis fight Houthis, and then the Houthis are defeated, then the drone programs and counterterrorism operation will resume and Al-qaeda will resume getting hit.
    Oh, yes, because the government was doing such a great job against AQ... By that logic, the Houthis and their supporters seem to be more powerful than Hadi, so perhaps they'll act more decisively against AQ in the south...

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Egypt officials: Ground operation planned in Yemen
    SHARM EL-SHEIKH, Egypt (AP) — Egyptian security and military officials say Saudi Arabia and Egypt will lead a ground operation in Yemen against Shiite rebels and their allies after a campaign of airstrikes to weaken them.

Three senior officials tell The Associated Press that forces would enter by land from Saudi Arabia and by sea from the Red Sea and Arabian Sea. They said Thursday that other nations will also be involved.

They would not specify troop numbers or say when the operation would start, only that it would be after airstrikes weaken the rebels and allied forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

They say the offensive aims to push the rebels into negotiations on power sharing. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the press.
    I expected much better from SISI........ Being allies of the KSA is a betrayal to Arab Nationalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    JAN and the ISIS aren't the only Islamic groups around. Islamic Front, Levant Front, other Islamic-affiliated rebel groups. This doesn't mean the Houthis still aren't lying as they are Zadi Shia Islamists themselves.

Yemen needs stability so al-Qaeda can't use it as a base.
    In the end the Houthis can't be compared to the terrorists in Syria. I have yet to see action from the Houthis which can be compared to the terrorists in Syria.

It is remarkable that the idea of North and South yemen hasn't been brough on table yet. That's probably the best solution at this point. I also hope that the Zaidi Muslims of soutwestern KSA will be incorporated in North Yemen then, that way they won't be horribly oppressed by Sauds anymore.
    Last edited by Mary The Quene; March 26, 2015 at 01:56 PM.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Last time a foreign army invaded Yemen was in the 1960s. Nasser sent 100.000 troops and the result was 26.000 Egyptian soldiers killed. Yemen is like Afghanistan. Every male carries a weapon, every village has its own private and independent army. Any invasion will end up badly for the invaders. Houthis make up 30% of the population. If The invaders start fighting various Suni islamist factions too then they will have to carry on a war against the majority of the population

To reiterate, Egypt needs a secure sea route to the Suez Canal.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Jihad against invaders was declared in Yemen . Every man and woman are going to take up arms and defend their country .

Yemen will be a graveyard if any ground invasion starts .
    Last edited by Mithridates II the Great; March 26, 2015 at 03:49 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridates II the Great View Post
    Jihad against invaders was declared in Yemen . Every man and woman are going to take up arms and defend their country .

Yemen will be a graveyard if any ground invasion starts .
    It's almost mind boggling to think of all the pain, misery, death, and destruction caused by all this religious fanaticism. What a horrible petty waste of your precious time on this Earth to hate another group of people for belonging to some different sect of the same damn religion. I'm so very glad Catholics and Protestants aren't at each others throats anymore. The Western world wouldn't be able to get anything done; then again many discoveries in military science and tech were made in the heated competition of Europe's religious wars of the 17th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    It's almost mind boggling to think of all the pain, misery, death, and destruction caused by all this religious fanaticism. What a horrible petty waste of your precious time on this Earth to hate another group of people for belonging to some different sect of the same damn religion. I'm so very glad Catholics and Protestants aren't at each others throats anymore. The Western world wouldn't be able to get anything done; then again many discoveries in military science and tech were made in the heated competition of Europe's religious wars of the 17th century.
    Religious fanaticism is merely one of the tools used to pursue political and financial interests of specific parties (oil sheikhs, military-industrial complex, bankers, etc.).

★Bandiera Rossa☭'s Avatar The Red Menace

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Surprisingly, Oman is staying out of this one.

Hey Lucilla, who do the Houthis wish to put as leader? As long as it is not Saleh, I probably would not care who wins this fight, although if it isn't Saleh, I would probably root for the Houthis just to see a dictatorship defeated
    The Zaidis were part of the protest movement against Saleh, so I'd doubt that they intend to return him to power.(They were even against him having immunity from prosecution) Their professed political goals are pretty moderate, and they claim to be for a secular government - it's just not clear how sincere they are.
    Last edited by ★Bandiera Rossa☭; March 26, 2015 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I'm not saying Shias are angels my friend .

But please compare the hate and violence to get my point .

Shias recognize Sunnis as Muslims and have no problem to live with them ( even the extremists ) but on the other hand , extremist sects of Sunnis directly call Shias pagan , etc and you can see such mentality even in this forum .

Look at Syria , The only people that are instantly killed by Al Qaeda or ISIS and other groups are Shias and Alewites . They don't kill Christians , Jews and people from other sects but take tax from them .

About Yemen , Houthis are Zaidi Shias and they have close relation with Shafaii Sunnis and that's why even Sunni Shafifiis are fighting alongside them .

You can not expect Houthis to sit and see their cities are bombed every 3-4 hours and is threatened to be occupied . They're doing what every normal human from any ideology and country does .

Has anyone noticed that all Al Qaeda territories are under pro Saudi forces in Yemen now !?

Compare these 2 maps :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templat...y_detailed_map

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=630849228
    Last edited by Aikanár; March 27, 2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: consecutive postings; please use the "edit post" button.

I am suprised to hear that our national news agencies stress the civilian casualties caused by Saudi-Arabia bombings.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Religious fanaticism is merely one of the tools used to pursue political and financial interests of specific parties (oil sheikhs, military-industrial complex, bankers, etc.).
    I'd say it's the biggest tool they have in the toolbox. Without it they'd have a bit more trouble masking their naked aggression in something other than a "holy" cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridates II the Great View Post
    I'm not saying Shias are angels my friend .

But please compare the hate and violence to get my point .

Shias recognize Sunnis as Muslims and have no problem to live with them ( even the extremists ) but on the other hand , extremist sects of Sunnis directly call Shias pagan , etc and you can see such mentality even in this forum .

Look at Syria , The only people that are instantly killed by Al Qaeda or ISIS and other groups are Shias and Alewites . They don't kill Christians , Jews and people from other sects but take tax from them .

About Yemen , Houthis are Zaidi Shias and they have close relation with Shafaii Sunnis and that's why even Sunni Shafifiis are fighting alongside them .

You can not expect Houthis to sit and see their cities are bombed every 3-4 hours and is threatened to be occupied . They're doing what every normal human from any ideology and country does .
    So long as there are at least some Sunnis who continue to hold these views about Shia, I suppose this conflict will never end, will it?